Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 409431 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers welcome)
« Reply #435 on: July 10, 2020, 04:46:06 am »

No worries. Laterigrade, you interested in a turn?

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 14, 2020, 06:12:10 am »

Skiptime?
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 14, 2020, 08:26:26 am »

Hmm... Mko around? I don't think he ever responded to my last PM.

I've got to run off for a couple days for an interview in another city. When I get back, I can grab the save if no one else has hopped in yet.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 14, 2020, 02:25:51 pm »

I could continue my turn since it was only half a year. Should be faster now that I'm back in the groove.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 15, 2020, 06:05:23 am »

Sounds right to me @Nogood.
The idea with my 6 months turn was that the next guy could play 1,5 year if they wanted.

Defenitely go ahead !
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 15, 2020, 09:13:19 pm »

===+ Journal of the Undying Overseer – Spring 162 +===

1st Granite

Well, it looks like I’ve been press ganged into serving for another full term as overseer. Very well, Smallhands needs me, Weevilmessiah demands servitude, and I am happy to do my duty.

14th Granite

The elves have arrived with their “caravan” of two traders and pack animals. Hardly worth the effort of moving things to the depot, but we’ll see what they have.

16th Granite

The elven diplomat arrived separately outside the walls and is now demanding to be let in our front gate. Tempting to just leave him there. Bah, let him in, we’ve got some cage traps that need resetting anyway.

As predicted, their trade offerings are disappointing to say the least. Nuts, berries, dirt, not even any impressive beasts. Oh well, let’s see what trash we can offload on them.

What is that? Tree egg yolk?? Where did we even get this? Well the elves seem happy to take it off our hands. Must be some kind of weird delicacy for them.

20th Granite

Ha! Bold words, elf! Very well, the goo-drowned swamp trees you are so partial to will be spared from our dreadful butchery.

27th Granite

I thought sending a couple of our most stressed out dwarves to scout beyond the fortress would help give them some perspective. Things didn’t quite work out that way…

Look Rovod, no one said you had to walk past the pile of corpses on the way out. I hardly see how this is my fault.

28th Granite

Auze threw another tantrum, once again attacking a fellow dwarf. The victim, Amost Canyonhearts, got a few good punches in herself, but still came away from the fight in a bad state.

They both slunk off to the hospital to rest and are now… lying on top of each other in the doorway? Hey, I’m not one to judge, but there are some perfectly good beds right there!

Maybe it has something to do with Salmeuk claiming the entire hospital as his personal bedroom. Wouldn’t want to crash there without permission, after all.

Another thing has been brought to my attention: the elf diplomat is showing as little regard to our visitor restrictions as the humans did. He’s been sighted snooping around the Temple of Puppets. I’ve found his antics amusing so far, but if he’s seeking out the slabs… Lorsith help him.

8th Slate

Our two stressed-out scouts have returned from their “vacation” in Glorygullies, a goblin-controlled forest retreat. They were only supposed to look around and grab any unprotected loot but managed to get into a scuffle with some goblins there. Fortunately, no one got hurt, and they now have a little fighting experience. Sadly, it doesn’t seem to have helped their moods too much, poor Rovod.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 08:53:41 am by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 16, 2020, 11:03:38 pm »

===+ Journal of the Undying Overseer – Spring 162 +===

8th Slate

Glorygullies must be basically undefended if two untrained dolts could start a fight there and walk away unscathed. Quite embarrassing for the elves that they couldn’t even protect their own forest from the goblins, despite their bluster. I’ve sent the Rainbow Raptors and the Crystal Inquisition to burn the place to the ground. They need the excitement, and the fewer outposts the goblins have in the west, the more limited their options for expansion are.

20th Slate

With a breeding pair of giant red-winged blackbirds, we’ve been preparing a nest area for raising and taming the beasts. Once we domesticate some hatchlings, they’ll be quite a lucrative replacement for our turkeys. Fewer eggs, but we’re already overflowing with those. I’d like to breed giant ravens as well, but thus far we only have one.

Auze continues to demonstrate worrying behaviour. He’s been standing outside next to the corpse pile, staring into the distance since the Rainbow Raptors left. Apparently, he’s waiting for our mayor to return so he can complain. Hopefully they get back soon, I’m starting to get worried. Auze isn’t as far gone as Rovod yet, but his status and anger issues could make a mental break very unpleasant.

23rd Slate

Ah, here are our returning champions now! Wait, where’s the captain of the Raptors? And those sullen faces… something went wrong.

Damnation upon the goblins and their demon master! They were waiting in ambush. Just three of them, but with luck and a strong defensive position, they were nearly a match for us. Bomrek Glazerevered and Kol Paintsieged, both swordsdwarves of legendary skill, fell to the lash of a particularly nasty goblin. They will be memorialized as heroes upon our walls. The goblin was slain by Nil Southlashes, ironically one of the least experienced Raptors.

It’s clear that we need to improve our tactics and planning. Those goblins had far inferior equipment and training, they never should have been able to kill two of our best soldiers. Until we have more experience with assaulting enemy fortifications, I think it would be best to limit ourselves to small-scale raids where we are free to retreat if necessary.

Of the spoils of war, the soldiers managed to find a few books, including one by our very own former king and captive necromancer, Kol Namedpillars. Apparently, he spent some time learning elven poetry in Glorygullies in his youth. Clearly his penchant for the perverse started early.

11th Felsite

We have an unusual visitor to the fortress.

Welcome, brother. Unlike many other places, you will find that Smallhands is not quite so squeamish around the post-living. Abide by our laws and we will get along just fine. Break them, and you will quickly discover the limits of your undead flesh.

… just a moment though. I believe KingZultan wants a word with you. We’ve had some troubles with necromancers you see, and while we are happy to host all kinds here, it would be best to establish a bit about your history first.

12th Felsite

Horrible shrieking can be heard coming from the experiment chamber. It seems that old king Kol has finally had enough of his imprisonment. Unfortunately, we’re not done with him. In fact, I think this will make him a bit easier to bend to our whims.

But that is merely a distraction right now. KingZultan charmed our guest and now brings me grave news. Indeed, he is still nothing but a servant of the foul necromancers!

We must act quickly now, lest he manage to free his masters. Dwarves, destroy the monstrosity! He may be alone but do not take him lightly, his unholy strength is not to be underestimated!

It’s done. I must commend Tosid on her skill in finishing that fight. The fiend managed to wound a recent Gravewarden recruit, Mosus, but she should heal just fine.

The bigger issue is what to do with Mestthos, the one that creature claimed as an accomplice. He is a skilled member of the Rainbow Raptors, and even worse, was recently elected mayor! The corruption apparently happened last year, when the necromancer Spriggans was exerting his magical influence. Does that mean he is free of it now? And what significance does the Waning Embraced Passage have to the necromancers? It is an artifact amulet, strikingly beautiful, but so are many other artifacts created here. Mestthos will need to be interrogated. Perhaps he can answer some of these questions.

Oh, and interrogate the elf too, just in case.

15th Felsite

Mestthos has confessed to stealing the amulet, but… it’s still on display in the library? Must be confused. Unfortunately, he can’t really give an explanation for his actions. With no victim and the possibility of mind control, I’m reluctant to convict, but I’ll be keeping an eye on him.

Amidst all the excitement, Salmeuk started acting erratic and screaming about needing materials. He’s barricaded himself in a mason’s shop. Let’s see what comes of this.

16th Felsite

I had the spearman’s corpse brought down to the crusher but couldn’t resist a simple experiment. And, well, look who’s back.

Zolack Monstertwinkling, I find you guilty of conspiracy against Smallhands and abuse of our hospitality. May your soul finally have the rest it deserves.

Wait, what??? The crusher passed right through him! Has he somehow become incorporeal?

Oh well, we can do this the hard way.

Farewell, brother.

23rd Felsite

Salmeuk has finished his artifact, a granite table.

Practical, if somewhat dull for someone who has gone through so much in our fort. I’ll have it installed in his dining room.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:10:16 am by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 17, 2020, 05:26:23 am »

My dwarf is solving all the crimes, I'm glad I'm an important member of the fort.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 17, 2020, 07:16:49 am »

I been lurking and watching this fort for some time, almost asking for a overseership in its second year
I'm thoroughly glad I didn't. Props to all of you, some of the most dwarfy of dwarves I have seen in any succession game

May I be dwarfed and signed up for a turn at overseership? Tavern Keeper or smith please
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 17, 2020, 08:00:52 am »

Thanks for picking up the reigns, nogood. Reading now, but am excited by this goblin picture coming up.

I'll chuck you on the list, recon. Do you want to go next or do you want someone else to go first? We are likely about to cycle back to me again.

Hold up... Can we talk about that dodge Zolack pulled off? That should be impossible.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 08:17:14 am by delphonso »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 17, 2020, 08:38:54 am »

Hold up... Can we talk about that dodge Zolack pulled off? That should be impossible.

IKR ! that was so weird. Yeah, that should be impossible ! The wiki (and everyone's experience really) states that either the bridge deconstructs, or anything below it is erased from existence.
Maybe the ghoul was crushed, and risen back immediatly ?
If ghouls are somehow immune to bridge crushing, that leads to so many possibilities ! Visions of a ghoul dummy surviving AtomSmashing while the invaders near him are crushed
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 08:40:43 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 17, 2020, 08:48:51 am »

Next? Eh sure why not. It will give me something to do in between bouts of revision induced boredom. Already had a few ideas to do with that tower built in the rain. I do believe smallhands is overdue for a !!justice!! and dining hall expansion too.

In terms of small and short things, I have a short list of small projects, and a small amount of sanity to execute them with, though a small number of them are sensible at least
Though I had a really fun idea for how my dwarf arrived.

The dwarves heard it one night as the vile goo cloud rolled past the entrance to the fort. Seems a new migrant had arrived and had already gone mad:

Oh-ho!...I'll smith the hammers and I'll smith their shields!
Oh-Ho!...I'll drink to their success and the skills they wield!

I'll fill a cup when the hammer strikes true!
I'll raise a mug when the gobbo turns blue!
I'll drain the goblet just before bed!
I'll refill the tankards- our enemies are dead!
I'm a dwarf, in rock I'm born and bred!
See our fort, high above yooouuu, our foes already fled!

As the last words sailed off into the night, out from the goop came a surprisingly clean dwarf
The dwarf was fairly average at first glance. Loud, boisterous, flask of ale in one hand, mace on his hip and...a strange stick with what looked like goblin and elf leather at the end above his head, somehow protecting him from the vile goop. No signs of any undead hurting him.

"Which way to the tavern?"

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 17, 2020, 08:53:05 am »

Smallhands is falling apart at the 1's and 0's. If undead are squash immune, revivifying nogood may have been a mistake.

Umbrellas! Gods, why didn't we just give them umbrellas!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 17, 2020, 08:54:18 am »

IKR ! that was so weird. Yeah, that should be impossible ! The wiki (and everyone's experience really) states that either the bridge deconstructs, or anything below it is erased from existence.
Maybe the ghoul was crushed, and risen back immediatly ?
If ghouls are somehow immune to bridge crushing, that leads to so many possibilities ! Visions of a ghoul dummy surviving AtomSmashing while the invaders near him are crushed

Yeah, I have no idea what happened there. He just phased right through the bridge, multiple times. The shutters were closed, so the necromancer wouldn't be able to raise him. Maybe it's related to intelligent undead coming back from missions as ghosts, where the game gets confused and thinks they don't have a body. Although that didn't happen for poor Olon when I sacrificed her to kill the echidna.

May I be dwarfed and signed up for a turn at overseership? Tavern Keeper or smith please

Sure, our tavern keeper is Mosus, the soldier who got wounded while killing that ghoul. I can pick someone else if you don't want to be on the front lines.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:29:24 am by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 17, 2020, 09:27:19 am »

go for it, fits in well with the entrance.

as for the bridge...maybe he dodged the bridge? you can dodge through objects after all
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 109