Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 411667 times)

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers welcome)
« Reply #450 on: July 17, 2020, 09:53:24 am »

Hold up... Can we talk about that dodge Zolack pulled off? That should be impossible.

IKR ! that was so weird. Yeah, that should be impossible ! The wiki (and everyone's experience really) states that either the bridge deconstructs, or anything below it is erased from existence.
Maybe the ghoul was crushed, and risen back immediatly ?
If ghouls are somehow immune to bridge crushing, that leads to so many possibilities ! Visions of a ghoul dummy surviving AtomSmashing while the invaders near him are crushed
I think it says something about all of the intelligent undead shenanigans we've dealt with that that didn't even phase me.
Smallhands is falling apart at the 1's and 0's. If undead are squash immune, revivifying nogood may have been a mistake.
We didn't really have much of a choice there, at least if we wanted to keep Nogood.

Anyways, how's the library doing?
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 17, 2020, 10:26:15 am »

True enough. I doubt he dodged, as I've never heard of such a thing happening in atom smashing (though, I've only smashed a few dwarves...thousands of animals). Probably just yeah...high DF strangeness. Battlefailed had two floating dwarves neither alive nor dead for years.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 17, 2020, 10:27:44 am »

I'm looking through legends for information on various things in the world. I'll be honest, was not expecting to see the necromancer Ast (who was mentioned several time previously) renamed to "Spriggans the sparkly".

Also, Nogood is worshiping the god responsible for the goblins being so powerful, and who seeks to have the blind demon Ikud Masterlegend enslave the entire world. The theological situation of Smallhands is quite rough.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 17, 2020, 10:32:26 am »

Mhm DF does that. Remember cats dying of alcohol poisoning by licking their paws?

I have personally seen in one of my fortresses a goblin dodge through a ballista shot. The next one made her upper chest sail off in an arc and she still survived for a few days before dying to the evil rain of liquid andesite that inflicted necrosis
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 17, 2020, 10:44:27 am »

Anyways, how's the library doing?
The bookcases were all knocked down for some reason, but I fixed them up. We now own all books in the world (or at least all the ones in civilized sites) except for the ones in the dark fortress and three or so in human towns.

Also, Nogood is worshiping the god responsible for the goblins being so powerful, and who seeks to have the blind demon Ikud Masterlegend enslave the entire world. The theological situation of Smallhands is quite rough.
I think of it as a bit of a love-hate relationship, and the whole binding the demon king situation is probably not public knowledge. Olon, the other ghoulish dwarf, also worshiped him. Just a bit of serendipity I suppose. That and Smallhands is a pretty weird place. We also have quite a few dwarves worshiping the gods of murder, theft, depravity and nightmares.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 04:41:59 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 18, 2020, 03:45:27 am »

Practical, if somewhat dull for someone who has gone through so much in our fort. I’ll have it installed in his dining room.

I'm fairly certain my dwarf has had enough of the exciting life, and seeks happiness in the little things. Why not make the greatest granite table ever seen?

Glad to see this still being updated, thanks for stepping in. I'll try to upload a DFMA once Nogood's turn is finished, so we can survey the chaos for ourselves.

Any chance you could throw up the z-screen, and maybe a unit list for us? I'm curious.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 18, 2020, 08:20:07 am »

Hold up... Can we talk about that dodge Zolack pulled off? That should be impossible.
This wouldn't be a proper community fort if some weird bug didn't pop up while it was going.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 19, 2020, 12:51:10 am »

===+ Journal of the Undying Overseer – Spring 162 +===

1st Hematite

Summer is here, let’s take a short look at the fort’s current situation.

Our stocks are quite extensive, aside from a slightly low drink stockpile. I’ll have Sigun write up an order to resume brewing. We have more food than we know what to do with, mostly in the form of months-old omelettes.  Our fields have been sitting fallow for quite some time. A previous overseer seems to have gone a bit nuts with pig tail production and we have hundreds of the things just sitting around.

My animal culling efforts have been largely successful. We still have some excess critters running around, but most have been limited to a manageable number. Hopefully the blackbirds start laying soon so they can completely replace our more mundane birds.

The dwarven population still exceeds the limits set in place by our original charter. As a consequence, no children are being born and no new migrants are coming in. However, we now have the perfect opportunity to correct that. I am sending Rovod, his lover, Libash, and five other dwarves that are redundant to our needs out to seize Glorygullies. This gives some of the dissatisfied dwarves a fresh start and gives us an outpost that can keep an eye on the elves. I did my best to avoid breaking up close relationships, but this will likely still be a controversial decision. Even so, I think it is for the best. With them gone, the child ban can be lifted, and that is sure to raise our hopes for the future.

Unfortunately, that won’t deal with all of our problem dwarves. Some of them are too integrated into our fortress to send away so easily. With Rovod gone, Auze will be the worst off. He was showing some small improvement for a while, but his campout by the corpse pile has erased that progress. The corpses have been disposed of but the trauma they caused remains. I’ve scheduled him some carpentry work in the hopes that he’ll be able to lose himself in his craft

11th Hematite

The human caravan has arrived. I’m sure they’ll our appreciate our copious amounts of slightly bloodstained human-sized clothing.

Ah, the humans bring good news! Our colonists reached Glorygullies safely and claimed it in our name! I’m sure they’ll be able to turn the burned-out tree houses into something a dwarf can call home.

Apparently Edem has claimed leadership of the new colony. Good on him I say. Definitely the best head on him out of that particular group.

15th Hematite

Auze threw another tantrum and punched a hole in one of the turkeys.

Somehow it survived, but he needs to get his anger under control before he does something more permanent.

17th Hematite

It seems that the homeland also had expansionistic ambitions. A new hillocks has been founded west of us. Its position neatly cuts off the southern goblin settlements and surrounds the eastern edge of the necromancers’ domain.

19th Hematite

Apparently, some of our dwarves have been freaking out over seeing the discarded teeth of that human ghoul. Come on, I know thinking about death is unpleasant, but get some perspective! It’s bad enough we can’t do anything on the surface without you getting scared off by buzzards every ten seconds!

At least our archers are finally getting some practice.

24th Malachite

I’m sending the Raptors and Inquisitors out on a small raid against the goblin pits of Stablevile. It’s the smallest remaining goblin settlement and they’ve been given orders to avoid combat if possible. Hopefully this way their captains can gain command experience in relative safety.

2nd Galena

The soldiers have returned, bringing with them several tame beak dogs! These beasts may not be quite as large as the giant blackbirds, but they lay more eggs and those multi-coloured pelts could make some quite unique garments.

Unfortunately, while they learned some things about sneaking around goblins, they didn’t learn much about fighting them. It seems that they’ll need live combat missions to improve their tactics.

But for now, I turn my attention to another project, deep within the fortress.

A small arena, setup for two teams of combatants. And above it, a gallery for spectators to view the fight or archers to fire from a safe position. Since the Swamp Hunters have decided static targets are too dull to practice with, this should be a bit more engaging for them.

The first competitors are our slab-bearing zombie giant and a goblin swordsman that was captured in some invasion years ago. Interestingly, the goblin wears custom made steel armour rather than the usual scrap. He couldn’t have gotten that from the goblin pits. The only explanation is that he must be one of the necromancers’ living servants! Well goblin, what do you think now that you face your master’s handiwork? I’ll let you keep your equipment, but I don’t think it will avail you much.

A decent performance, but brute strength wins this day. Archers, you may now begin your practice.

15th Galena

Folly… folly and sheer, blind hubris.

After the successful beak dog rustling, I thought our soldiers would be safe to attempt an open attack against Stablevile. They were told to use their judgment and break off if things seemed too dangerous. But one mistake was all it took to turn near total victory into a tragic defeat.

According to Deduk, sole surviving member of the Crystal Inquisition, the battle began in fantastic terms. Chief inquisitor Deler was able to use knowledge gained from the first raid to great effect and they effortlessly slew several defending goblins and trolls. The success emboldened them, and they pushed deeper into the pits, far past the areas they had scouted. Their mad rush allowed the remaining trolls to surround them, waiting for their chance. Finally realizing her mistake, Deler froze up, and the trolls charged in to take advantage of the confusion. Nil and Obok fell before anyone knew what was happening. As they fell, Deler snapped out of her stupor and called out the order to retreat, but the trolls had already cut off their escape. Two of them sprung from ambush and took down Deler and Iton. Their deaths bought the others the chance to get away.

What has happened to the mighty warriors who breached the hidden vault and slew the divine protectors within? Only two remain, Solon and Mestthos. We have lost the last of our legendary swordsdwarves.

The Crystal Inquisition is no more. Deduk has been welcomed into the GraveWardens, now swollen to nine members.

The Rainbow Raptors now belong to Solon. In time, I know she will return them to glory. For their surviving members, I have commissioned a special gift to commemorate their service.

We must now take time for mourning and reflection. We have no bodies to bury, but the names and deeds of the fallen will be recorded in the Silent Halls.
                        - Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 19, 2020, 02:28:57 am »

F

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 19, 2020, 05:46:16 am »

Tavern expenditure 15th Galena

1x Swamp whiskey
Customer: Recon, Tavern Keeper
Note: I miss them

1x Dwarven ale
Customer: Nogood, Overseer
Note: I hope it helps
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:31:23 am by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 19, 2020, 06:43:17 am »

Well that raid went poorly.

Press F to pay respects.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 19, 2020, 07:25:16 am »

Updating front page, Laterigrade, Glloyd and mko, I snipped you from the line-up but just jump in whenever you want to have a turn!

Thanks for the info post, nogood. I'm very happy to see the livestock at a more manageable number.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 08:00:12 am by delphonso »

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 19, 2020, 08:21:24 am »

At least Mestthos survived, he is one of the more accomplished militiadwarves. He's also a former captain and also was the mayor of the fortress as well.
That and Smallhands is a pretty weird place. We also have quite a few dwarves worshiping the gods of murder, theft, depravity and nightmares.
Yeah, looking at legends auze himself is a dubious worshiper of the goddess of theft. I mean, it's pretty appropriate considering he's a broker, but still...

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 19, 2020, 09:28:16 am »

Customer: Nogood, Overseer
Note: customer is undead, I had to help him remember how to drink. Though he needs no sustenence he is still a dwarf.

Not undead anymore, FYI. you can read the details in auzewasright's year 9 posts. He's still got some residual weirdness which is part of why I didn't want to send him on those raids, but he's a full flesh-and-blood dwarf.

I had a bit more at the end of the last post, but DF crashed and I had to revert to just after the soldiers returned. Auze went on a tantrum rampage, wounded a couple dwarves, got beaten, and then a bunch of good samaritans kept stealing him away to the hospital while KingZultan tried to take him to jail.

By the way, we're down to 39 dwarves if you didn't feel like doing the math yourselves.

And one more thing I should note: the single map-edge entrance to the trade depot can cause massive lag if creatures are trying to path out of the fortress. I tried to send a raid through it and got down to single digit FPS before reopening the main gate.

- Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 19, 2020, 09:33:50 am »

I just posted the whole nogood undeath bit on the first page. Took me long enough...

Well... At least we can maybe have babies now.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 109