Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 407351 times)

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers welcome)
« Reply #495 on: July 23, 2020, 04:32:03 am »

Oh dear. Third succession game in a row when my turn comes up its stress affecting the fort. dang it, so much for my grand designs in the name of smallhands
Though perhaps I can still attempt some of them. After all, its tradition for succession forts to be littered with unfinished projects

I was hoping for a few more days until the start of my turn. Got an exam on the 29th. ah well

I will grab the save, post the introduction to my reign, then it will be a short update or two. Then after the my exam, longer ones.
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 23, 2020, 04:37:18 am »

Hopefully the fort can pull through this, I wonder how many more times this for is going to go through something like this.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 23, 2020, 05:06:36 am »

No problem with slow updates Recon. Nogood is especially fast for updates I must say, so you can take your time with your exam. No pressure.

And as for the incoming death spree, the good point is we will have vacant spots for children / migrants, who won't have fever ! YAY !
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 23, 2020, 06:01:30 am »

Double post ! ;D Who cares...

And of course, the decision
…of what to do
…with the body.

I did quickly try opening the necro bridge. And indeed. It does work.

Resurection is not instantaneous, but works eventually after a while. So you have the possibility to ghoulify Sodel, and also to ghoulify the very likely incoming dead body of Auze...
(Hey ! This might be the cure to the Swamp Fever we were looking for ! \^.^/ )

In my timeline, I "only" had two casualties !
Eventually, the "loyalty cascade" stopped without any input on my part.
So I guess the fort is fine, it will survive ! Yours to run now, Recon.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 06:07:50 am by Spriggans »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 23, 2020, 06:27:39 am »

Yeah, no rush Recon - don't let smallhands burden you.

Hmm... Ghoulification and then ressurection could be the new Smallhands Special.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 23, 2020, 06:55:52 am »

Smallhands the fort where you live forever without being a necromancer or vampire!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 23, 2020, 06:59:15 am »

Looks like it could be worth it !
At first, you can't do anything with the Forlorn Ghoul. It acts like a visitor. You can assign it to locations, but that's it.

I did play some more after the ghoulification though, just for testing.
I dfhacked instant teleportation, because the newly born Ghoul was in a horrible shape. It was taken into hospital, and had several "clean", and about 10 "sutures" and 10 "dress wound" / "apply cast" jobs in the hospital. It also was given 3 splints, and a crutch.
Without teleportation and with the current location of our water source, I expect it could take months.

After burning through most of the Hospital stocks, the Ghoul happily petitionned for Citizenship, afterwhich I could control it 100% like a vanilla dwarf (and it is seen by DwarfTherapist)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 07:03:57 am by Spriggans »

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 23, 2020, 07:11:05 am »

Given the disaster frequency of this fort, I'm surprised nothing such happened on my turn. Although I suppose having a usurping alpaca might be considered a disaster in and of itself...
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 23, 2020, 08:26:33 am »

Journal of the Tavern keeper 1st of Granite 163

There was a shocking hush when our Undying Overseer entered the tavern.
Usually when an overseer enters the tavern its either they need to collar a dwarf, or they have important things to announce to everyone and it spreads from there.
Given the date, we all knew it was the latter.

He came up to the counter without a word. I gave him the last dwarven beer in the fort. A sign of the deep seated problems here.

With booze in hand he announced he had stepped down from the Overseer's office, citing stress and having overstayed his tenure. Many in here muttered, some angrily, others in understanding. Fortunately though one bright spark clapped for him and everyone slowly joined in, then raised a toast for his service.
I quietly slipped a second mug of our other rare alcohol behind him- Dwarven wine of all things with 6 bottles left under my counter.

Then came the question on everyone's lips. Who will be the next Overseer of Smallhands? The voices of drunken arguments and discussion filled the air again as nobody had an answer.
Idly I started pondering about the many problems the next leader of the fort would have to solve. Overcrowded dining hall, chronic clothing shortage if my patrons were anything to go by, messy stockpile system, mud filled stairs and reservoir...

Hmm...

You hear a lot of things being a bartender. You hear a lot of things at smallhands. So the things I hear as the bartender of smallhands gives me quite the perspective on things. Things that might not ever see the light of day amongst most overseers
So I slammed my huge granite tankard on the special mat I have- my cue for patrons to quiet down for my announcements. Usually for closing time or for large scale announcements.
--------------------------------------

Dwarves of Smallhands!
Thanks to all of you, Smallhands is on its way to becoming the fortress it was supposed so be!
But!
The values and progress of our fortress are now being threatened! Threatened by anarchists and Necros!

I, Recon Claspedfought as your new Overseer WILL prevent this!

I am also pleased to announce that I have hereby accepted the nomination for my FIRST MAYORAL TERM!

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 26, 2020, 06:27:35 am »

With booze in hand he announced he had stepped down from the Overseer's office, citing stress and having overstayed his tenure. Many in here muttered, some angrily, others in understanding. Fortunately though one bright spark clapped for him and everyone slowly joined in, then raised a toast for his service.
This is an excellent first post; I laughed particularly at this bit :D
Looking forward to the rest, although there’s no rush.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 26, 2020, 07:34:33 am »

Take as long as needed, hopefully you're able to steer the fortress back to the right path.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 26, 2020, 07:51:48 am »

All raise a mug to the Tavern Keeper! To Smallhands!

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 26, 2020, 09:39:32 am »

Journal of the Tavern keeper Overseer 1st of Granite 163

Having announced that I was the new overseer my first command was for everyone to celebrate with another round of drinks
While everybody was distracted I hurried over to the mayors office and told Mestthos the good news:

Having obtained as much political power as I need for both my term of office and afterwards, it was time to set about the most important tasks:
Upping clothing production to replace our rotting ones. I see many dwarves in the halls with torn rags, as an ex dyer and clothier this makes me disappointed in smallhands
It was nothing compared to something I discovered that would make any dwarf seethe with anger.

What were my predecessors thinking??

The second of course is punishing Auze for his numerous crimes against smallhands and more importantly, that one against myself!
6 crimes he has wrought.

Annoyingly, I'm not even sure if he will be going to a cell. The justice system here in smallhands is woefully inadequate: no hammerer for murderers and traitors, nor a dungeon master for cracking down on possible spies like our previous mayor. I appointed myself dungeon master and looked for an excuse to send him to jail. Sadly the only thing I could find on file was worthy of a beating. I will convict him later.

Speaking of jails, I couldn't for the life of me find our prison, only our asylum. The one I know of are the ones holding our necromancers and even if we just tied our criminals up, we legitimately do not have enough with 6 criminals but 4 chains and I for one do not like dwarves in cages- other lesser bearded races perhaps but we sons and daughters of Armok deserve some basic dignity. I have ordered some cells dug out and a new office for King Zultan to keep an eye on them

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 3rd Of Granite

Rakost has finally started building whatever object his wild dreams came up with. I have also took the liberty of reviewing the current standing orders and tossing out a couple of more nonsensical ones. Who even ordered green glass hatch covers anyway?

In the process I discovered more oversights by the previous overseers of this fortress, such as the water reactor having only doors, not floodgates. The fort has had a long standing issue with corpses being kept in places where those of a fragile mind keep wandering. I have moved the corpse stockpile to a disused corner of the fort and ordered a door put on the other side of the wall to a less travelled area

Fellow dwarves have a mind to coerce our necromancer into reviving our weaponsmith. I'm...not happy about it but its tradition at this point.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 4th of Granite

I've ordered new quarters dug out fitting for one of my importance as Overseer, Mayor and bartender. Three of the most important jobs in dwarven society

Something's going off with Dastost, she's stumbling round in a daze

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 5th of Granite

A distraught Zultan was heard shouting from the asylum while I was in the tavern.
Spoiler: Zultan what happened?? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 09:45:06 am by recon1o6 »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 26, 2020, 09:43:42 am »

Hm.... HMMM...
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 109