Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 410789 times)

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers welcome)
« Reply #510 on: July 26, 2020, 10:29:18 am »

There was a "working" "prison" during my turn, although ad-hoc.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 26, 2020, 11:25:05 am »

There was a "working" "prison" during my turn, although ad-hoc.
Yeah, I converted what I think was a holding facility of some sort and redesign are done of its cells as a prison to incarcerate our one criminal.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 26, 2020, 03:39:03 pm »

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 6th of Granite

The 5 main problems with this fortress are as follows:

1. Sock shortage and lack of replacable clothing
2. Badly organised military and lack of training
3. Mismanagement induced stockpile layout
4. Inconsistent workshop layouts causing severe inefficiency
5. Abundance of detritus, refuse and contaminants

In the first few days I saw to restarting sock production and got some cloaks sewn for the military. Then...the incident happened.
King Zultan, despite being a wiry if slightly timid girl was stricken with grief upon carrying out a beating against Sigun who had been escaping justice for some time. From what Doctor Blockadeidles has told me, a punch struck Sigun's neck and ruptured an artey then subsequently bled out on the floor.

I decided to hold off on any further official justice for now.

At least its not all bad news

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 14th of Granite

More good news this week, we got elevated to a Duchy. Sal requested to have a little bit more furniture in his rooms so I threw the work orders down then took an extremely strong drink and banged my head against the wall when I realised the elves had come.
What was worse, there was one of their infuriating diplomats with them no doubt demanding us to limit our lumber cutting.

In order to avoid entreating with those pointy eared bastards Salmeuk decided to hide in my mayors office and pretended to be conducting a meeting with me. Auze apparently had the same idea being the broker and was attending a nonexistant meeting over in the duke's office.

I had a choice to make: take one for the fort and purchase some elven clothing to stave off clothing shortage and then get bossed around by the diplomat, or don't entreat with them and lose out on clothing, food, drink and seeds.

While pondering my decision I decided to go test the drawbridges. Curiously the diplomat just happened to decide to enter via the trap tunnel right as I was doing so. A pity, but as they say accidents happen :P ah well, I then decided that the fort comes before me and went about trading. Purchased only those items that were created naturally, not grown by their pagan rubbish.

As I was coming back from trading with the elves, a dwarf muttered something about hearing the ravings and thrashing of a madman.
Looks like we will have to bury our fallen once again

Spoiler: It was Inevitable (click to show/hide)

Journal of the Tavern Keeper 26th Granite

The last 2 weeks I spent reorganising the military into something less...poorly managed. I took our miners out of the military so they could actually get digging. I updated the inform so they have actual cloaks and then promptly discovered why we have good weapons but poor armour

We have only one armoursmith left. Avost Canyonhearts, and she wasn't even marked down for smithing.

No wonder we get our arses kicked in most fights between that and our sparring area being...less than adequate and filled with vomit and rotting harpy skulls. I ordered a pair of dwarves to start learning and put Avost back to work.
For now, I will see to upgrading our defences to something more...substantial for when we have a siege. I converted the old corpse dumping stockpile into a siege engineering workshop having discovered some of our dwarves used to be engineers. With a little luck, we won't even need to send our marksdwarves up in future.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 03:41:03 pm by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 26, 2020, 05:22:50 pm »

Eh? No loyalty cascade? Not even a little one? Sigun died to a normal beating? That's weird, half the fort was dead before things calmed down for me. Nogood personally slew 7 dwarves (all in self defense, I assure you). Admittedly, I may have egged them on a little.

The necromancer can absolutely still raise people while berserk. You just need to pull the lever to lower the blinders and wait a few days for him to notice the cyclops.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 26, 2020, 07:02:54 pm »

Eh? No loyalty cascade? Not even a little one? Sigun died to a normal beating? That's weird, half the fort was dead before things calmed down for me. Nogood personally slew 7 dwarves (all in self defense, I assure you). Admittedly, I may have egged them on a little.

The necromancer can absolutely still raise people while berserk. You just need to pull the lever to lower the blinders and wait a few days for him to notice the cyclops.

Regarding the loyalty cascade I'm a little confused myself. I started out with quer, kubruk and nogood terrifying everyone. then day 8 suddenly it stopped when i begun the military rearrangements.
I tested on another save when I put them all out on a raid instead and suddenly those 3 plus 2 more dwarves had a loyalty cascade
One of them did eventually leave the map, returned and dropped dead instantly
I guess taking folks out the military fixed it.

as for the necromancer, the shutters are down for 2 weeks and still no raise >> (it is the off position for deactivated shutters? they didn't seem to change when I had the level pulled from on to off)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 26, 2020, 07:46:49 pm »

That makes sense, I also tried sending them on a raid and that's when most of the killing happened.

The shutters are open when the lever is pointed to the left in default Curses tileset. I guess that would be the off position, yeah. They won't show any change because the bridges are only one tile long, to avoid crushing him when they open. It might take a while for the necromancer to notice, seems to be based on him randomly moving around until he sees the cyclops and freaks out.

Then again, it might be a bad idea to resurrect Sodel if he still has a grudge over being murdered. Sigun should be safe though.

And I hope your military rearrangement didn't take away the Rainbow Raptors' beak dog cloaks. It was a painstaking process to get them all decorated with the squad symbol!  :P
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 06:18:41 am by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 26, 2020, 11:57:02 pm »

Then again, it might be a bad idea to resurrect Sodel if he still has a grudge over being murdered. Sigun should be safe though.
Aaahhh, but then we miss out on the excellent !!!SCIENCE!!! opportunities. Bring him back, and, first, this’d be a further test of ghouls, and, second we’ll see if he has the grudge or not (and thus if relationships live beyond the grave)! This is the perfect fort, too; Smallhands, home of the living undead.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 27, 2020, 12:05:24 am »

I'd expect death and undeath to reset loyalties, but the whole bug is that they don't...so... I guess we'll see.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 27, 2020, 06:18:16 am »

I'd expect death and undeath to reset loyalties, but the whole bug is that they don't...so... I guess we'll see.

I am 99% sure that intelligent undead retaining their loyalties is intended behaviour. The only part that seems like a bug is necromancers resurrecting people who will be hostile to them.
                        - Random human lord

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 27, 2020, 08:31:17 am »

I must not be good at this justice thing if I punch a guy in the neck until he dies and then am horrified by what I have done.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 27, 2020, 10:59:37 am »

I must not be good at this justice thing if I punch a guy in the neck until he dies and then am horrified by what I have done.
Still better than Mestthos Medtobular (who doubled as the mayor):
Spoiler: From my turn (click to show/hide)
That sums up just about every interrogation he ever did did. The Justice system that I established was more than a little shoddy (in hindsight, I probably should've put down in my end-turn notes that I knew for a fact Lokum was guilty of those crimes he was accused of, but I didn't convict on them because he already had got put in for 200 days in prison and I wanted to get him rehabilitated).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:01:57 am by auzewasright »

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 27, 2020, 11:28:15 am »

Of course Mestthos failed his interrogations
Mestthos is complicit in an attempt to steal an artifact. I immediately removed him from his post and appointed myself mayor as I wanted supreme power disliked in character how he had immunity to prosecution for attempting to steal an artifact

In other news, even with my gaming laptop, I'm still topping out at 27 fps after a miasma leak in the trade depot. I also discovered that the entire fortress is covered in varying degrees of blood, vomit or mud

Don't expect an update till thursday btw, will be heavily focusing on revision.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 29, 2020, 06:30:56 pm »

Of course Mestthos failed his interrogations
Mestthos is complicit in an attempt to steal an artifact. I immediately removed him from his post and appointed myself mayor as I wanted supreme power disliked in character how he had immunity to prosecution for attempting to steal an artifact

In other news, even with my gaming laptop, I'm still topping out at 27 fps after a miasma leak in the trade depot. I also discovered that the entire fortress is covered in varying degrees of blood, vomit or mud

Don't expect an update till thursday btw, will be heavily focusing on revision.
I think a DFhack clean is acceptable considering those conditions. And then manufacture approximately two metric Doomforestses worth of soap to make sure that doesn't happen again.

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 29, 2020, 06:38:10 pm »

Well this fort is certainly... interesting. I'd sign up for a turn as overseer if I wasn't so rusty and could write better, I'll be keeping a close eye on the thread though.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 29, 2020, 06:51:10 pm »

Yeah, DF Hack seems stable now, and was what I was planning to use since post 1 in this exact case. Feel free to run a clean up and even destroy some of the items on the surface for FPS's sake.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 109