Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 411621 times)

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers welcome)
« Reply #525 on: July 30, 2020, 07:01:09 am »

Yeah, DF Hack seems stable now, and was what I was planning to use since post 1 in this exact case. Feel free to run a clean up and even destroy some of the items on the surface for FPS's sake.
Definitely agreed on this; there was enough vomit and bile and blood on the ground in my turn to cause FPS drop, and that was a fair few turns ago. So long as we’re sure DFHack is stable, feel free to run clean as much as you like.

Well this fort is certainly... interesting. I'd sign up for a turn as overseer if I wasn't so rusty and could write better, I'll be keeping a close eye on the thread though.
We’d be happy to have you aboard, if you change your mind!
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 30, 2020, 07:54:36 am »

is everyone in agreement to run a dfhack clean all then?

and yes i can confirm dfhack is stable, been using it on my personal fort without a hitch.
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 30, 2020, 08:27:39 am »

clean all away, dear Recon ! ;D

But beware : It won't clean the already well-established madness ! Nothing can clear it ! :D
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 30, 2020, 08:51:19 am »

please, the default state of a dwarf is crazy, madness and insanity are just the next steps up

Clean all command has been executed and the fps has rocketed

update soon!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 30, 2020, 09:11:29 am »

Thank the muck. Glad to hear the FPS is looking better.

I once ran that stress script - which puts everyone at -10000 stress or whatever it is. In one of my fort, after that script, three went to stark raving mad within a year. I don't even know how they were racking up that much insanity.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 30, 2020, 09:57:34 am »

I thought just existing was enough to drive a dwarf insane.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 30, 2020, 11:40:22 am »

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 5th of Slate

While wandering the halls planning out my stockpiles overhaul I stumbled upon the white jade door. I wondered where it had gone being such an impregnable artifact. I followed it down, through the rumoured temple of puppets and what did I find but those two slabs of necromancy.

Those foul things contain knowledge of life and death, sacrifice, blood magic... all sorts of disgusting things. While I do want eternal life and agelessness of my own choice, I would much rather fiddle about with temporal magic than those...things- its much more useful, such as creating booze without waiting for the yeast to do its thing just snap your fingers and its done!

I was thoroughly unimpressed with my predecessor's choice of security, one invincible door, that wasn't even locked and screamed "important thing behind here" and it definately explains why so many visitors of the undead persuasion keep coming. Somebody leaked this knowledge, or maybe its the absurd amount of blood and grime everywhere attracts them. Such mess does little for morale and makes even the most basic task a chore.

Just as I was turning to leave something caught my eye on one of the slabs: a passage that read how an excess of life can warp the fabric of time just as much as the dead. The more scattered the dead, the more the time is warped. At the end of the passage was a spell to cleanse a huge area of errant dead pieces by gathering it into a ball. We certainly have a lot of both around here.

I noted down the spell, then went down to the magma sea that night and cast it where nobody could see me. It was if the river of time had suddenly turned from trickle to a wave- a great millstone had been lifted from the world and the cause was right in front of me- a big floating ball of dirt, blood and vomit.
It fell into the magma sea immediately just as I planned.

Sadly it also knocked me out. The doctor said I had suffered alcohol withdrawal when I woke up the next morning after whatever change in the world happened and left it at that.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 14th of Slate

What elven trickery is this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The elven diplomat had an unfortunate accident with one of the drawbridges just last month! I saw it happen with my own two eyes!
Not only does the hippy survive an atom smasher but it demands that we limit our woodcutting? We barely have enough wood as is to sustain this fort.

I ordered Sal to tell the diplomat to sod off followed by ordering our miners to dig Sal a new bedroom that isn't the hospital and kingzultan to stop beating Auze to death because there's still prison sentences first before sending him on to Armok. Curiously Auze was quite accepting of the beating.

I also went and locked the white door, then chiselled in the archway- Overseer's only. I will need to look into better security for it and other artifacts later.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 20th of slate
Auze is now in a cage. When I asked Zultan why not use the chain right in front of the cage she shrugged at me and said it was "not available for use by justice"

Hopefully everyone isn't too busy with my stockpile rearrangements to bring Auze sustenence!

I had Zultan investigate our so called diplomat as well as a migrant that appeared this month (just a cook, nothing special about them)
I smelled foul, well fouler than usual elf rubbish. Fortunately we caught him doing something nobody should be doing- heading down to the slab chamber!

I may be a mere tavern keeper, but I was in the military. I will take care of this personally.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 9th of Felsite

That elf was a swift one, very hard to track him down inside this maze of a fortress

In other news, I have dug out a small hole near my tavern and moved the kitchen there. Organising the food stockpiles is trickier than I anticipated since we can't have all of them together in case of another zombie slaughter, yet we lack the room for the most part on the more important levels.

Work has also begun knocking down part of that necromancer tower base outside the arena in order to convert it into a small siege battery. Might as well make use of that thing since some of the wall can be turned into a bunker. Underneath it is the labyrinth where I have also rearranged the stockpiles around so we can store ballista bolts too. Soon I will have a tunnel built on the surface to funnel any invaders into the battery.

Finally the best news that I announced in the tavern- Drinks production has gone up and we have apricot wine, dwarven wine, dwarven ale freshly restocked after running dry and Longland beer at last!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 11:42:01 am by recon1o6 »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 30, 2020, 02:42:13 pm »

Huummmm ! Apricot wine !  :P

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 30, 2020, 06:28:06 pm »

Nice work, Recon! I wonder when the elves will get the message that we don't want them around...?

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 31, 2020, 03:41:02 am »

Hello again! I'm back, after a month of being ridiculously busy at work (we're still busy and will be until the 7th Aug, but I kinda lost the physical ability to put in unwavering effort. Note to future bosses: if you're doing a hard burn of more than 2 weeks, 3 tops, you're an idiot). I'd like to sign up for a turn, annnd also catch up to what happened in the fort - I did keep up with the thread, but I didn't pay as much attention as I wanted to.

---

Looking forward to see how the 'central heating' commanded by the overpaca looks like.

The 'necromancer tower'... brilliant way to handle the three caged necros, Spriggans. Of course the bastards with fell magic would go around mind controlling weaker-willed dorfs... and of course their first idea is to go build a tower to their ego glory!

Overpopulation in nogood's turn - holy mackerel, that's a lot of baby animals! I'm guessing eggs didn't get collected, so they hatched. I'm a bit blindsided by all the poults, though; from what I remember, we had hens and a rooster capable of breeding; where did the turkeys come from? Did I buy them from the caravan and forgot? I might have... and that means the turkey babies got smashed possibly a few months before growing up. Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore.

The dogs were initially left to breed for war dog 'supplies' - the plan was to train up as many as possible, and assign them to military dorfs. This would shore up our very anemic military, and even if individual dogs are weak and squishy, it's a different matter when there are 2-3 of them for each dorf. At the very least, they'll distract opponents, and be another target for attacks. Dog meat shields, as it were.

Dogs weren't my preferred choice of war beasts either; we could in theory buy grizzly bears from both humans and elves - in theory, because they hardly ever bring any. Also, the cage traps in the currently-abandoned cave airlock would occasionally catch some deadly critters - also in theory, because they keep getting swamped with crundles and flesh balls. Ugh. But the theory is sound, I got a grizzly in my private play through, and you saw the cave dragon that popped up during both mine and the overpaca's turn...

The giant wielding two necromancer slabs has come entirely out of the left field; I'm head-canoning that he doesn't know how to read, so no necromancer giant.
"the single map-edge entrance to the trade depot can cause massive lag if creatures are trying to path out of the fortress. I tried to send a raid through it and got down to single digit FPS before reopening the main gate"
That's new. I'll keep an eye out for it in my own forts.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 31, 2020, 03:50:41 am »

The elf diplomat has been killed again, it was inevitable.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 31, 2020, 04:55:22 am »

Hey guys ! I somewhat updated the wiki page about intelligent undeads because of the ghost shenanigans we have experienced wasn't tracked there.
If you guys find some juicy content about undeads, please enrich the wiki ;)

@Nogood, I used your art for the heck of it. If you're against it, I can remove the picture.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 05:02:56 am by Spriggans »

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 31, 2020, 05:45:36 am »

where did the turkeys come from? Did I buy them from the caravan and forgot? I might have... and that means the turkey babies got smashed possibly a few months before growing up. Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore.
I remember buying a couple turkeys for the purpose of egg-collecting and breeding. I guess their population did not take long to boom.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 31, 2020, 10:45:56 am »

So hot here >< temperatures doubling overnight in the uk
curiously I can't find much in the way of turkeys. Giant birds and beak dogs aplenty to the point I will be turning some into soap if possible. Depends on how competent the fortress is rending fat given how its took them 3 months to even start digging out my new quarters...

Annoyingly, its looking like my megaproject won't even get off the ground at this rate. I wanted a giant beer tankard filled with magma atop smallhands damn it

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 31, 2020, 10:56:22 pm »

Nice writing Recon, I'm liking your voice in these updates! That white jade door sounds like a lovely artifact as well (I must have missed it's creation in an earlier post..), could you post the game description?

And, well, does anyone really finish megaprojects in community forts?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 109