Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 412490 times)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers welcome)
« Reply #540 on: August 01, 2020, 04:07:09 am »

@Salmeuk : there goes the jade door !

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 04:09:08 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 01, 2020, 07:08:46 am »

I know this isn't the place for it, but I think risen dwarves should be considered different to history-created intelligent undead, because risen dwarves don't have the powers that world-gen undead get.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 03, 2020, 02:34:55 pm »

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 10th of Felsite 163
Grim news today, our legendary miner and grower both Iteb Ikthadodok has passed away due to infection on the way to the farm. He never got treated with soap for the injury the late Sigun inflicted upon him and caught the infection as a result.
He will be sorely missed. I have commissioned a gold coffin for him as someone who has contributed greatly to Smallhands

I will take his death to heart and teach the fortress the lesson of having enough soap, especially with all that filth around. As proof of this lesson to the fortress, I have ordered all 25 beak dog hatchlings that spawned in the last few days butchered for tallow then soap

A short while later I also heared more insane necromancers sounds, this time from the tower. Looks like old Spriggan's finally discovered he has no way out of there.  :D

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 25th of Felsite 163

In spite of the days with goo outweighing days without goo, some members of the fort managed to do significant work removing the tower steps ready for my ballista battery which also had the parts completed earlier though not to the quality I had hoped for unfortunately. Other members of the military were also up here training as usual, some dodging demonstration of some kind that I was too busy drinking to attend to.
That being said the military really should clean up some time, just look at all the mess in the arena!

Fortunately for them before I could chew them out a large cheer erupted from downstairs- KingZultan had finally surpassed me at clothcraft and made a masterwork sock.

Ah well, at least my new rooms finally got finished! Smoothing next followed by some masterwork or exceptional furniture
The new prison cells and Salmeuk's room are dug too and also in need of smoothing
Spoiler: sal's room (click to show/hide)

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 9th of Hematite 163
With summer comes heat, and heat tends to make people a bit crazy. Or in Dastot's case stumble around obliviously a few times followed by a tantrum that thankfully hurt nothing.
Regardless, just in case I have given her an elven wood spear and sent her off to explore jeweldusks and cactushexes. If she comes back, then its off to the goblin pit to see if she can retrieve something of value to the fort while simultaniously keeping her away for if she breaks down.

Perhaps Spriggan's yelling has gotten to her. I know a few people have complained that his ranting and raving has caused them to cancel their stockpiling orders a few times out of fear he's casting every curse he can to escape. He won't of course regardless of the vile goo raining on his tower.

In other news has anybody seen our new hammerer lately?

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 15th of Hematite 163
Confound it!

I was reading a book by our resident mad mage in the tower spriggans named "The truth about the dwarf". Its a book about himself losing a fight to a troll of all things because he was focused on the details and lost sight of his end goal- a typical dwarven issue. Though I can sympathise, given the troll in question was Deslo Vaultedtexts The Idol of Taxes
I'm sincerely glad we don't have any bridges for the mountainhomes to tax is this is what they are capable of

That said I'm ashamed to say this might just be one of the problems with smallhands- we have no goal to strive for now we cut off the goblin's expansion short of destroying them all which while fun does leave us the question of what to do next.

So today as Overseer, in a bid to make my Overseership worth remembering, I have designated a monument to smallhands to be created. A giant metal tankard standing above the surface with a small hand on the end of it forever highlighting our glory and defiance in face of the goo, goblins and necromancers.
Alas I am unable to determine a method of pumping magma up to the top without flooding the trading stockpile so I will need to make do with turning it into the new place for the tavern.
There was also the small matter of not having enough stone to create the furniture intended nor the states of the Overseers that I was going to put inside. New mining order fixed that though

In other news, the human diplomat arrived a few days ago, exchanged pleasantries and buggered off again. Didn't even stop for a drink at my tavern!
Rigoth also finished making her artifact, "The obscure battles". A useful weapon rack, I had it installed in my bedroom of course since Rigoth isn't in the military. That said, I'm curious how she made this artifact- she took a chisel to it so many times in the masonry shop without a hammer with precision on par with our legendary miners.

Finally, Dastot got herself captured by goblins. I'm not rescuing her given her previous conduct and lack of any useful skills. I had myself a little private toast after hours to commemerate the removal of such a troublesome individual in a way nobody suspected.

A note to my successors, don't bother rescuing her. 49532 stress and no skills beyond proficient is not worth the trouble.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 04:33:25 am by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 03, 2020, 02:52:43 pm »

oh and on the 17th, the human caravan came. and its bugged, frozen at the edge of the map
Auze also slipped into depression

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 04, 2020, 03:55:00 am »

Look at me being multi talented, one moment I'm arresting criminals and the next I'm making masterwork socks.

Is the caravan being broken a bad thing or is it something we can ignore?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 04, 2020, 04:27:17 am »

we can't trade, consequently those traders will probably go insane

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 04, 2020, 05:59:02 am »

Are we able to trade after they go insane or are we no longer able to trade with anyone now?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 04, 2020, 06:33:14 am »

Ñ
Get me out of here ! Let me free !!
Graah ! Curse you ! Curse you all !
You pathetic fools... Try me ! Hide in your little holes...
No amount of cowardness, no futile efforts will save you. You are all cursed.
This rickety white door won't hold me forever. When I get out, you will rue the day you confronted me !
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:37:10 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 04, 2020, 03:44:27 pm »

oh and on the 17th, the human caravan came. and its bugged, frozen at the edge of the map
Auze also slipped into depression
Isn't there a dfhack fix for this bug?
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 06, 2020, 05:50:52 am »

the tweak fixmigrant only works for player races. So dwarves and any modded ones like my vorgrias.
I could use tweak makeown to outright grab them, but then they won't leave either.

its probably best to just let them go insane then cleanup

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 06, 2020, 09:08:48 am »

the tweak fixmigrant only works for player races. So dwarves and any modded ones like my vorgrias.
I could use tweak makeown to outright grab them, but then they won't leave either.
Shame

its probably best to just let them go insane then cleanup
Sounds good
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 06, 2020, 06:00:17 pm »

If we can’t fix it via dfhack, it’d be best to block them in with walls, if you can, or surround them with cage traps. Especially if they have guards; our warriors are valiant but the less slaughter the better.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 06, 2020, 06:16:54 pm »

We need to figure out a way to safely feed things to Bugui.

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 06, 2020, 10:48:20 pm »

Well I think I've got myself settled into the fortress life enough to sign up for a turn, my writing probably wont be much more than an event log, and my goals wont be much more than dealing with what comes up, and trying not to ruin the flow of the fortress too badly, but I have wanted to give a succession fort a try.

We need to figure out a way to safely feed things to Bugui.

A 1 wide trap hallway leading to a hole going into the top of the caverns with a forbidden hatch over it. If any flying building destroyer decides to break the hatch and enter that way then the traps should neutralize it, forbidding the hatch will prevent anything dumb from happening, but the dwarves should still pit your animals and invaders. Still not 100% safe but it's at least as safe as the way the caverns are sealed and they only thing that might take a bit of time would be the trap hallway if you decide to go overboard.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 08, 2020, 02:26:07 pm »

apologies for the delay everyone, between rl stuff and horrible hot weather stifling my creativity i haven't played/wrote much. update tonight or tomorrow depending
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 109