Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 410085 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers welcome)
« Reply #555 on: August 08, 2020, 08:25:02 pm »

No worries, Recon.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 10, 2020, 02:52:48 pm »

Apologies for the delay everyone. rl is an arse

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 24th of Hematite 163

The ground floor of the tavern has been designated
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Its going to be solid gold surrounded by silver that tankard emblem. A gem window with the current day's menu and two doors on either side.
Unfortunately, we don't have enough gold. A total of 14 bars in the fort which is nowhere near enough. I need 22 bars worth according to my bartop calculations.

It was the shouts of angry ambitious avarice that dragged a few of us from the tavern.
The human caravan had come and one of the wagons got stuck in the sand. One of the merchants informed me that they refuse to trade until they had all the wagons in the depot, all 4 of them.
"Can't we just trade with the ones you DO have unloaded?" I asked, rolling a barrel of rum out for selling.
"Nay lass, that's just not how it works. Especially with that broker of yours" the tall fellow replied, trying to clear the goop off himself.

I quickly looked across to Auze. I must have given him the wrong drink at the tavern last night as he was stumbling around obliviously this morning though he at least had the sense to blunder into the trade depot. It was quite worrisome.
An hour later Auze meandered into my office having recovered somewhat and blurted out they were leaving. The sounds of rushing and angry human voices came down the stairwell even as I dashed up them to demand an answer.
I was too late though, the humans had already pissed off! They got their wagon unstuck and left! cheeky sods weren't even here a week!

The goop rain was back too so I ordered everyone inside and demanded phonso who had been lurking around the depot hauling things why they had left. Phonso shrugged, snacked on a roasted fish then told me that the head merchant guard was annoyed at getting goop on his head and ordered them all to leave.
"How did he get gooped when he was in shelter?" I asked incredulous.
Phonso shrugged but did tell me that the ballista battery was built which at least staved off my tantrum.

I'm going back to the tavern, at least a dwarf never leaves his drink

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 3rd of Malachite 163

If there is one benefit the surface tavern will bring to the fortress, its getting everybody to stop being cave adapted. Far too many dwarves have been puking their guts out while building the Towering Tankard and the periodic dashes back to the fort when the vile goo returns isn't helping matters.
At least our hammerer is cleaning up the entryway a bit

We had a new migrant arrive. Reg Pickcrab, a farmer. Seriously, he's a novice at pretty much every farming skill under the sun and has no friends nor family. Only one relationship to a deity. No vile goo sickness thankfully.
I'm a bit concerned about this though, what sort of dwarf has no family or friends but this many skills? I'll have zultan interrogate him anyway to make sure he's not aligned with any necromancers. Or a vampire which I'm suspicious of. If he is either, well he can go visit the hammerer.

I have ordered the trade depot to be off limits for the time being. A buzzard flew in and got killed by a human and since nobody got round to dumping its body, the corpse is rotting now. Hopefully that stops Auze from teetering over the edge.
Everybody else seems to be in good shape really apart from Kubuk and Zultan.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 18th of Malachite 163

The second floor of my tavern is almost done

The third floor is going to run short of materials soon unfortunately. We simply don't have the dwarf power to craft the stone blocks, soap, steel armour, clothes AND get this fortress stockpile orders fixes.
Halfway through my term and this poor tavern keeper is already having to raid her strong stuff.

Its not all bad news though, I discovered something excellent over in the trade depot- the humans left some of their stuff behind!
We should grab it before the next caravan comes.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 4th of Galena 163

I got into an argument with one of my patrons last night doing my mayoral meetings. Vutok, a cook/engraver. He wanted the kitchen and brewer on the 3rd floor of the tavern, I wanted it on the 5th. He then complained to me he wretched on a miasma recently. I called it a load of shit 'cos the only place with miasma was the trade depot and he hadn't been near there. Finally he demanded that I order some new mittens, aprons, hats and trousers for the chefs. Unfortunately, I couldn't do these things specifically for chefs, given the general clothes shortage.
He seemed offended but I offered to upgrade his room to the penthouse inside the tavern and he left happily.

Good, because there isn't going to be a penthouse for anyone, that's the magma chamber...if I can ever solve the design challenges involved

Oh no...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 02:54:21 pm by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 10, 2020, 05:49:51 pm »

Ho nooo ! We dont have enough nestboxes !!
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 10, 2020, 10:19:58 pm »

>he's a novice at pretty much every farming skill under the sun and has no friends nor family. Only one relationship to a deity. No vile goo sickness thankfully.
I'm a bit concerned about this though, what sort of dwarf has no family or friends but this many skills? I'll have zultan interrogate him anyway

Well as you said he's only a novice at those skills so while it looks like a lot I wouldn't be too concerned with that being a bit too much for him to have learned.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 10, 2020, 11:35:41 pm »

Uh oh...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 11, 2020, 05:20:37 am »

I've been wondering this for a long time what happens when someone "losses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!", I'm assuming its bad, but how bad I don't know.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 11, 2020, 05:44:59 am »

I've been wondering this for a long time what happens when someone "losses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!", I'm assuming its bad, but how bad I don't know.

Fell mood, the first I have ever had

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 11, 2020, 11:18:08 am »

Then you've been a good overseer. I'm quite familar with them.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 11, 2020, 02:17:53 pm »

Hopefully the artifact he makes is a nestbox. That would solve the boxes lackage issue at least...

Is the fell mood the one where the dwarf kills someone ?

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 11, 2020, 03:04:57 pm »

On the bright side, we can be sure that Smallhands can provide at least one of the required materials for the intended artifact.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 11, 2020, 05:52:22 pm »

Spriggans - yeah, they move randomly and then murder the first dwarf they encounter.

Although I would hate for Salmeuk to ever die, becoming an artifact and being installed in Smallhands would be a fitting end.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 11, 2020, 10:39:55 pm »

I'm gonna re-up the  turn roster - who wants another go? Also, who did I miss if they already mentioned it...?

Currently next:
Delphonso
StrikaAmaru

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 12, 2020, 05:59:01 pm »

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 5th of Galena 163

I opted to keep the tavern open a little longer than usual last night, asking the night workers to keep an eye out for anything dangerous Vutok would do.
I narrowly avoided spilling my evening tankard in shock when I heard the screams. Also because of the beakdog puppy that came charging down the stairs in fright. This was definately not good, I ordered those things butchered a while ago. A quick refill and helmet on and away I went.

Solon, one of our gravewardens was in shock partway up the stairs. He was stuttering and stammering till I thrust a small bottle of beer into his chest which seemed to break him out of whatever trance had got him. He said that Vutok stormed into the butchers shops where he had just left to go fetch another beak dog for slaughter. He got to the stop of the stairs and saw Vutok storm out, with an aura around him of pure dread and he murdered Amara right in front of his and Imic's eyes. Imic was off running down the corridor overcome by terror.

On the floor in front of me was the lower half of Amara's lifeless head, mouth still contorted in her death throes. Not even a clean cut with the butchers knife.
I kicked down the door sword in one hand, my granite tankard in the other filled with strong booze. You can always rely on a thrown tankard
At the end butchers table, was the remains of Amara's body. In front of it was Vutok- eyes full of crazy and a dark cloud surrounding him raising a pair of leggings that could only have been created with a necromancers touch.

The entire thing reeked of evil what with the remains of Amara twisted in such a way as to evoke a tarantula's web down the sides of the clothing, the top half of her skull on the crotch and her hip bones turned into pockets.

"In my family's name do I name you Sethaldamid Matzang! The spider-witch of jumping!" He cried, voice tainted with the ethereal. Raising the leggings as one would an item of great worth.
I promptly threw my tankard at him and it knocked him out in one blow, thank goodness for granite. The strange aura around him vanished too.

Into my journal here for future overseers to read I will write this passage.
I refuse to grant this thing equal status to our other artifacts. As such I will only enter the basics into the Overseer records and hide the leggings inside a secret room behind a bridge that leads over the magma. There are only three things that this could be the result of:
1. One of our necromancer captives- what else would work with bone so well
2. The demon that the goblins bow to in the east- that magic is strong, very strong and only the sort they and their servants carry
3. An elven menace hidden within their lands- this decor reeks of elven design. In addition, I recently discovered their diplomat I offed last month was in fact an heir to their Queen according to Legends records.

Its time I went to bed. I don't think anybody is going to sleep tonight.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 28th of Galena 163

It took all the effort I had to raise and slam my tankard for quiet this evening for my long overdue briefing to the fort

This month has been productive, really productive. I think everybody just wanted to get back to work and forget about the incident several weeks ago. I wish I could. I've been debating whether to ask Zultan to punish Vutok with a hammering for what we did, but we all saw how he wasn't his self. He has no regrets...but is frightened of how skilled he is at bone carving now.

The new tavern is shaping up well with the third floor placed and now getting walls and the handle is beginning to take shape. I made a slight tweak to my design to allow the handle to be a lookout. Its going to be taller than every other structure here, but it has to be as a monument to myself and smallhands.
My new rooms are almost done as well. At long last one of smiths managed to fight off the goop fever enough to make me some superb bronze doors- always liked bronze. wonderful colour and metal, but not everyone appreciates it like me.

I told the tavern goers something they didn't want to hear. All rotting or worn clothing is to be sent to the trading depot. Our brethern from the north are coming soon and the stockpile is stuffed full of new clothes that nobody is wearing, yet all of them had the gall to complain to me about lack of clothes. I don't care if things are favourites- they have to go and make my handiwork mean something.

Once again this sent Auze into a depression, though he recovered within hours.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 17th of Limestone 163
I finally made up my mind what to do with Vutok. I asked Zultan to go and interrogate him about the possession.
She came out of her new office and slammed through my tavern door at breakneck speed demanding a drink in ragged gasps. Something happened that had her overcome by horror but she couldn't say what. She was too distraught so I slipped her a second one free of charge. I sent another dwarf to quietly lock Vutok for the time being.

Our fellow dwarves came on the 11th at least and they brought a load of goodies considering it was only a single wagon. Dwarven engineering everybody! I'll raise a toast after the trading results from Auze...Auze?
Welp, looks like I'll have to have that therapy meeting...

Eventually I talked Auze into pulling himself together and chatted to the trader while the liason went off to find Salmeuk
In the meantime, me and Auze managed to obtain one hell of an agreement. All of our worn clothing and crafts, a barrel of prepared food (not sure what it was if anything) plus the elven detritus we had laying about in return for all 8 barrels of booze and their food, several new clothes and some good quality steel and iron armour.
I took the liberty of obtaining more paper for our library and best of all managed to obtain some much needed pig tail seeds after our supply ran out last month.
Honestly, it was shocking how much space our old clothes took up. I'm gonna need to order some bins

Surprisingly, the merchant was pleased with the trading as well.
After all the crap over the last month and a half, it felt good to be able to have something go so right for once.

I'll drink to that slams tankard Free round tonight everyone! courtesy of our friends at the mountainhomes!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 06:00:43 pm by recon1o6 »

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 18, 2020, 04:05:11 am »

apologies for the delay, i know its been a long turn. exam thursday

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 18, 2020, 05:04:14 am »

apologies for the delay, i know its been a long turn. exam thursday

Apologies accepted, captain Recon.
You will rock your exam, I know it ! Keep us in touch :-*
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 109