Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402547 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers welcome)
« Reply #585 on: September 08, 2020, 05:23:25 am »

Glad to see this fort continue and that my dwarf is still kicking.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 09, 2020, 06:18:28 am »

The problem is we don't actually have that much wood, but the caverns seem relatively safe atm.
The third cavern layer was sealed off exactly for this purpose, and as far as I glimpsed from screenshots there are still tons of uncut trees in it. (The animal traps were more of a bonus / second thought).

The second big source of wood is, of course, the surface - fever goop included. I did consider a plan to allow woodcutting & hauling only for already-fevered citizens, and just move everything indoors; preferably through a water trough fed by the aquifer. My turn is coming soon-ish, so I think this whole plot is going to end up in my yard anyway =).

I need to figure out what to do about my inevitable re-dorfing. Seeing as Amara has become armor, the resurrection trick can't be used for her. Either I inflict some identity theft on a dwarf, or I'll just pick a new dwarf. The first option allows me to continue the narrative of "future baroness Amara" but it's going to be a tough sell from an in-game perspective.

... Or I could go with the simple option, and just say a random dorf picked up the name in honor of the original, and then this detail got lost to history.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 09, 2020, 08:14:49 am »

Alternatively, name your new dorf "Strika"!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 10, 2020, 06:01:53 am »

Named dwarves and status at the end of my turn, we're doing pretty good all things considered.

6 named dwarf deaths, 1 reversed, 1 possibly not dead after all.
7 named dwarves and 1 alpaca that haven't died yet

overseers

'Del' adagkubuk, guard captain: Died 153 to zombie horde
'Phonso' tosidleclad, gravekeeper: Alive
'Salmeuk' logensurzmal, sole survivor, Baron of smallhands: Alive
'Laterigrade' monomduthal, mechanic: Died 154 to helmet snake, currently no redorf
auze the first: not dorfed but presumably died 153 to zombie horde assuming auze didn't hide for 3 years and pretended to be different auze
'auze' dodokimsal, broker: Alive
'nogood' undying overseer: Died 153, revived and after a raid is now alive
'matteuse' kolathel, grey eminence: Alive
'Amara' ageshdakost, haulier: Died 163 to fell mood
'applet' Overpaca: Alive
'Spriggans' the sparkly onrelzaksul: debatably alive, currently locked away and berserk
'Recon' dodokbardum, Tavern keeper: Alive

non overseers

'kingzultan' eturerlin, necromancer hunter: Alive
'imic' kosheshtan, scribe: Alive
'superdorf' datanothlest, furnace operator: Died 161 struck down by phonso
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 06:03:25 am by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 10, 2020, 06:59:44 am »

All these personalities, and their feats, must be immortalized in the museum ! :)
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 10, 2020, 12:06:49 pm »

'Laterigrade' monomduthal, mechanic: Died 154 to helmet snake, currently no redorf

Wait, did Lat really die to a snakebite? Oh my god that's right!

8th Granite

Laterigrade clear-cut the eastern half of the cavern with ease, but I fear I may have overextended him when I asked for the last two tower-caps in the southwest to be chopped. A helmet snake sprung up directly in his path and gave him a nasty bite. I’m calling him back into the fortress. Hopefully he has the sense to run. We’re too far away to help if he tries to fight the snake.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

By the Regal God, the fool actually tried to take it on by himself…. He’s on the ground, badly wounded and unconscious. He managed some decent hits on the snake, but then the venom set in and he couldn’t keep fighting. I told Salmeuk to grab a weapon and get to the cavern entrance. I’m going to try to get to Laterigrade. I should be immune to the snake’s worst abilities; I only hope I can reach him in time.

Too late… damn the gods, too late. The monster just shook him around by the head until his neck snapped. I was only a few paces away, but helpless to do anything.

Barely a week into my administration and already my plans are thrown to chaos. One thing is certain, I can’t allow any injury to Salmeuk. When we had two healthy dwarves, I could risk letting one of them hack apart the echidna, but now our survival is balanced on a razor’s edge. Even a small accident could cripple us.

If only I could force myself to take on a more active role, but this curse of undeath seems to have instilled me with some kind of mental block. I cannot bring myself to take on new roles I did not have in life. Not craftsdwarf nor diplomat nor soldier. This position of overseer has been the sole exception. It is what makes Salmeuk so valuable, and what frustrated my attempts to save Laterigrade. But one thing I can do is haul, and there is a lot of wood that needs hauling right now. Your sacrifice will not be in vain, Laterigrade. Those cages are our salvation, and on my unlife they will be built.

The above was beautifully written by nogoodnames, back in MARCH. I guess I didn't realize how long this fortress has been rolling. . I mean, crap, I had just started my new job around that time. Feels like a literal lifetime ago.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 11, 2020, 11:29:09 am »

Judging from recons logs, it seems lag is becoming an issue, something this fort was explicitly supposed to prevent xD

(Not that I did anything laggy, the pumpstack definitely doesn't count.. right?)

I would like to see the fort continue, (internally debating signing up for another turn) so I think it might be time to turn to some more serious dfhackery.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 12, 2020, 11:05:18 pm »

I'll definitely pick up a slot as I've dropped OT at work. Too much stress right now. . . I echo what applet said - we could try a mass cleanup of stray items, cleanall, cleanowned, all the lag reducing scripts we can think of.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 13, 2020, 03:46:53 am »

I'm going to mess around for a bit and see how FPS settles in normal play then maybe delete some items with DF hack and clean things up a bit. Battling a strong addiction to Oblivion right now, so things are only getting putzed with for an hour or so at a time.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 13, 2020, 09:40:23 am »

I surrendered to temptation, and picked up the latest save (something I wanted to not do until my turn, but here I am).

One unexpected source of lag are doors that are set impassable to animals, but passable to dwarves. There's a pathing bug, ever since 0.44.x, that makes animals try to use them anyway - then they end up stuck in front of a door, forever cancelling & recalculating & re-cancelling the same route. There are multiple doors set like this, all throughout the fort.

Even one of these buggers can drop the fort to 25 FPS, on a good PC which has no issues running SmithSoldier at 45-50 FPS.

Applet's central heating is fine with FPS, unless it's actively pumping magma. Then it drops to 8 and below (note to self: disable temperature in init before engaging). The big problem with the magma stack is that water can get into the channels, especially at level ~110 where the reactor is, and at the bottom where it's supposed to drain off-map.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 09:43:09 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 14, 2020, 04:26:45 am »

My laptop is no slouch, its an msi gf63, my frames started at 28, dipped to 17 average and as low as 9 at one point, though after the cleanall it jumped upwards to 40s and settled at 32 till all the beakdogs hatched.
Abundance of animals in the fort DID cause an issue which I wanted to fix, but was leaving some to grow up so we could butcher for soap.
Dumb dwarves going outside and puking their guts out didn't help me with splatter either despite me putting in a staircase to access the building site
That said, I didn't turn off temperature in the init because this is a community fort.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 16, 2020, 06:20:20 am »

While browsing the wiki wondering why I was never getting any goblins to test my vorgrian race's war attitude on, I found out why smallhands isn't besieged by gobbos at all

Sieges come at 80 pop
the ambusher tag was removed from goblins in 42.04

necros have no limitations on their sieges, thats why we got them

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 16, 2020, 06:22:12 am »

The 80 pop-cap thing isn't necessary for goblin sieges. If you send raids against goblins, they'll come even if you have 1 dwarf. But, it seems like there's some sort of preference to location - so we'll probably only see necros...

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 16, 2020, 07:22:24 am »

sieges have no location preference, as long as its within 30 tiles or 10 if its a tower, invasions are allowed. I'm gonna test the abusher tag, see if we get some gobbos arriving
how's the fort going anyway?

edit: that goblin fort to the southeast? site government The Seduction Of Goo
those goblin bastards are responsible for our fever
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 07:26:38 am by recon1o6 »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 16, 2020, 08:55:37 am »

Honestly, tried to play today and spent about 45 minutes trying to figure out what everything is and what I need to seal off to ensure the fort is closed. It was mentally taxing, but necessary work. Gonna try and actually unpause soon and post an update.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 109