Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402574 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers welcome)
« Reply #660 on: October 04, 2020, 05:45:04 am »

Little do you know, Del, but the primary delay in NumberCurse will come from familial obligations, not from SmallHands!

Plus, y'know, we now have 2 weeks for the challenge too, and I still have to hit the wiki, because I don't usually do decorations.

It's a nightmare - freaking idiots were decorated gems with more gems rather than what I wanted them to do.

Looking forward to your turn here - Smallhands isn't in the worst state she's seen, but it's not great.

At least one was able to be saved.

I think my favorite dwarf is King Zultan. If we could find a way to ghoul people 100% of the time, I'd make sure she never died. Well...after the ghouling.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 04, 2020, 06:47:16 am »

I don't know how this will affect the speed of the fort, if at all, but... do you know we never tweaked the seed cap?

I’d like to propose:

[SPECIFIC_SEED_CAP:40]
[FORTRESS_SEED_CAP:600]

They’re the old values but divided by five, which matches our population.

Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: October 04, 2020, 07:13:34 am »

I assume the alpaca corpse was butchered? or will you try to bring about undead overpaca?
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: October 04, 2020, 07:26:33 am »

Cage the undead overpaca! Put it in the museum!

I vote yes to seed cap - it probably won't do much but every bit helps. FPS at the end of my turn was acceptable. The fever makes it feel slower than it actually is. When the goblins arrived there was a noticable dip, of course.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: October 04, 2020, 07:27:22 am »

wish there was a way to recover from the fever other than DFhack or death/revive
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 04, 2020, 07:36:52 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Syndrome#CE_REDUCE_FEVER

There might be. I have no idea how to get that effect, though...

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 04, 2020, 08:06:50 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Syndrome#CE_REDUCE_FEVER

There might be. I have no idea how to get that effect, though...
Lick every FB until you get it? :D
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 04, 2020, 09:57:44 am »

Lick every FB until you get it? :D

A quote for posterity.

As to your original question, the overpaca was never butchered, and its toothless, decayed skeleton still lies in the sub-surface level, in a pool of its own teeth:

[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 04, 2020, 01:13:13 pm »

I think my favorite dwarf is King Zultan. If we could find a way to ghoul people 100% of the time, I'd make sure she never died. Well...after the ghouling.
I feel this is quite the achievement to become best dwarf, I am honored to be that dwarf.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: October 04, 2020, 05:42:27 pm »

If an alpaca wore pants would it do it like this or like this?

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: October 06, 2020, 04:03:37 pm »

SmallHands 165
No, I'm not using small font for the title

Prologue.

Well… I had some ideas, and I hope to be able to pull them off.

I also had a plan, now scrapped, to make an in-character diary, with a narrative behind it. In preparation for this, I picked the most recently-arrived dorf, and given her a name of ill repute:

Malfoy means ‘bad faith’, unless my rudiments of French have completely failed me. This is entirely appropriate for a dwarf under whose rule dwarves would be deliberately killed. The narrative was that miss Malfoy was one of the few dwarves unafflicted by the fever, and was beyond done with the complications of the syndrome; so she aimed for the overseer position, and fully intended to run a sustained campaign of covert murder.

However, that’s about as far as the muse took me; the only part I managed to write is a short intro:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And that’s it. No more flow whatsoever. Gameplay was eventually written from an OOC perspective, the first fortress (which isn’t NumberCurse) that I write in this manner.

As to the fort itself:

The fort numbers 32 dwarves according to Dwarf Fortress, and 29 dwarves according to Dwarf Therapist. One’s a child, and that’s why it’s hidden, but this still leaves me with two missing idiots. And it’s not Vabok the newly-ghoulified, he’s perfectly visible to Dwarf Therapist.

Anyway, of the 29 visible adults, all but 7 are afflicted with the fever.

A while later, one of the ‘missing’ people was identified as Vutok WanderedBolts, who’s been caged for who-knows-how-long; he’s the fell mood bastard who killed my previous dwarf, by the way.

I think he’s subject to a bug regarding jails - the room he’s in was marked as a prison from the rope in the center, and a bunch of cages were then built around. Vutok was invisible to DT until someone left him out of his cage, and he wasn’t let out until the jail room was restricted to not include the cages:

‘Course, he was then immediately re-imprisoned in a random room, because he’s melancholic. I’ll allow him to die of thirst and then he’ll visit the friendly neighborhood post-mortem doctor.

Even later still, I also figured out who the last missing dwarf is - NoGood. Dwarf Therapist can't see him in any category; but I didn't figure that out until near-autumn, for reasons that will become apparent.

The Tall Bar has never been finished, and what was built has been vandalized by trolls.

This is how the trolls got to the stack pump, by the way - they first dropped under the surface, and then just walked to the ballistas and the pump stack. I’m more surprised they didn’t also wreck the trading depot, to be honest.

Also below the surface, there’s a giant stockpile of furniture. I think it’s the same stockpile of furniture that I made, when I was replacing the old pieces with masterworks and excellent ones, and selling the lower-quality ones to whomever. Unfortunately, now all the craftsdwarves have the thrice-damned fever, so no more masterworks for SmallHands.

Below that, the last of the dirt layers, complete with a well, and next to it a bizarre ‘soap’ stockpile. By which I mean it only accepts metal bars:

Further down in the resurrection pod, some dead dwarf named Dumed is waiting his/her turn to be risen. Unfortunately, the cyclops has decided to wander away from the necromancer, so nothing is happening, and poor Dumed has started rotting. The cyclops room will be redesigned, to keep this from happening.

The crafting area was joined by a labyrinth which makes no sense:

And which descends here:

The stone stockpile has been removed; there’s literally no point to it.

Lastly, at the bottom of the world, lies the third cavern; filled with old skeletons, and unexploited cavern trees. I’d like to deal with both.

Happiness is quite alright, with one glaring exception: KingZultan’s sanity is quite strained:

She’s one of our very rare healthy non-feverish dwarves, and a near-legendary weaver and tailor to boot. I’ll see if weaving a bunch of masterwork bolts of cloth won’t make her feel better.

The military is in theory made of four squads. Seeing as we have ~30 adults total, you can tell that to be a lie.

Our ‘real’ squads are the Swamp Hunters, with ranged weapons and very little armor:

And the Grave Wardens, a much-better appointed melee squad; they had 8 members total, but two are unaffected by the fever, so they’re removed:

The Puzzling Bodices are King Zultan’s ‘squad’, consisting only of herself; I assign a few more non-feverish dwarves as fortress guards, because Zultan is too busy tantruming to do her job.

The Rainbow Raptors are a sword-dwarf squad with no members in the fort. That’s an important distinction, because the Rainbow Raptors were sent to raid, and met misfortune.

Lastly, we have a squad that was never populated: the Ancient Cloisters, under the theoretical leadership of Recon, have a bangin’ uniform but no other members.

Anyway, the squads will be refilled, with no care for military skill, and with all care for who, when, and where I want dead. Recon’s squad is the future home of named and legendary people; the Grave Wardens and the Swamp Hunters get the other feverish dwarves. The fortress guard, by contrast, is made of healthy dwarves only, and they’ll be kept out of as much trouble as I can manage.

On a sweep of the stocks, I find someone has marked a great deal of ammunition for dumping. See, this is why I spend hours poring through a fort before I even start.

The whole fort gets swept with ‘reclaim, forbid melt, forbid dump’ mass designations.

So, with the overview done, I can put down some gameplan, and set some priorities:

Primary Priorities:
- improve the defensibility of the surface.
   - tower 'foundation' (right below the surface) with a brand new airlock, and a better entrance on the surface (preferably without airlock, because those aren't fun need constructions in the layer below to work properly).
   - ballista area.
- more walls sectioning off the under-surface open space
- redesign the cyclops room to be 1-tile wide.
- repair & finish the Tall Bar.
- enlist all feverish citizens (bonus goal: send them to pick a fight with the tower)
   - except:
     `> Salmeuk and whoever's mayor; nobles lose rooms when leaving on a raid.
     `> the SKILLED dwarves, in case the resurrection gambit works.
     `> all named dwarves, because it's rude to deliberately send people's avatars to their death.
     `> miners and woodcutters, because weapon conflict. We still have weapon conflict, right?

Secondary Priorities:
- do something with corpses in cave3. I'm tempted to just dump them in magma; it isn't even far...
- finish sealing Cave3
- conquer the other 2 caves (overseer throws a sinister gaze towards the feverish military).
- revise the food situation. At this point we have our own little overproduction crisis, when it comes to animals and meat.
- create a beekeeping area, somewhere; either on the roof to the east, or on the surface.
- a small above-ground farm in the goop zone; I want to see how plants vary.
- magma stack; how are ya? Mostly destroyed? Yeah, I should probably rebuild you as a courtesy to applet and/or my successor, shouldn’t I?
- engrave slabs for the overpaca (and other dead?) See what's on them.
- raise the overpaca as a zombie, cage it, and build its cage somewhere.
- decommission the old cage & door labyrinth. The trolls wrecked the doors, and nobody remembers where any of the levers were, for the few bridges built in them.
   - and extend the tree farm in the freed space. If I do right by the cavern, this won’t be really needed.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 04:11:13 pm by StrikaAmaru »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: October 06, 2020, 04:40:01 pm »

wow those screens give me flashbacks to my last turn. The fortress was already pretty confusing THEN, and that was like 8 overseers ago..

I approve of the mass-drafting of all afflicted dwarves. The fever is just holding us back.

Sign me up for the following turn. It's been long enough that I can approach this kind of terminally-ill fortress with good energy.

What's the death count at?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: October 06, 2020, 08:58:11 pm »

It's not a lot of fun, but it's necessary work - thanks StrikaAmaru! Here's hoping you have a peaceful year to pull this all off. I've no qualms with Reg dying - if they get the fever, by the way.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: October 07, 2020, 04:42:49 am »

Anyway, of the 29 visible adults, all but 7 are afflicted with the fever.

Welp, looks like we lost 3 to the fever during delphonso's turn. Myself, legendary glassmaker olin and ducim. two of us were legendary

A while later, one of the ‘missing’ people was identified as Vutok WanderedBolts, who’s been caged for who-knows-how-long; he’s the fell mood bastard who killed my previous dwarf, by the way.

nah man, even the therapist doesn't want anything to do with him :3

The Tall Bar has never been finished, and what was built has been vandalized by trolls.
Spoiler: my tankard :( (click to show/hide)

Recon, Tavern Keeper Overseer was seen crying at the devastation wrought by the trolls on her beloved bar. A whole year had gone by and not a single piece of work was done on it. A whole year without a tavern thanks to a bunch of bees..

Also below the surface, there’s a giant stockpile of furniture. I think it’s the same stockpile of furniture that I made, when I was replacing the old pieces with masterworks and excellent ones, and selling the lower-quality ones to whomever. Unfortunately, now all the craftsdwarves have the thrice-damned fever, so no more masterworks for SmallHands.

yes and no. Subesequent Overseers have made it into the trading stockpile. Of course that included the many sub par statues of myself. The traders should spread the glory of my tavern.

Below that, the last of the dirt layers, complete with a well, and next to it a bizarre ‘soap’ stockpile. By which I mean it only accepts metal bars:
I moved the soap stockpile nearer the hospital.

Lastly, we have a squad that was never populated: the Ancient Cloisters, under the theoretical leadership of Recon, have a bangin’ uniform but no other members.

Anyway, the squads will be refilled, with no care for military skill, and with all care for who, when, and where I want dead. Recon’s squad is the future home of named and legendary people; the Grave Wardens and the Swamp Hunters get the other feverish dwarves. The fortress guard, by contrast, is made of healthy dwarves only, and they’ll be kept out of as much trouble as I can manage.
I approve of this idea so long as I'm not sent to my death. Check the equipment. Might need to rescue our imprisoned fellows in case they got good gear.

So, with the overview done, I can put down some gameplan, and set some priorities:

Primary Priorities:
- improve the defensibility of the surface.
   - tower 'foundation' (right below the surface) with a brand new airlock, and a better entrance on the surface (preferably without airlock, because those aren't fun need constructions in the layer below to work properly).
   - ballista area.
- more walls sectioning off the under-surface open space
- redesign the cyclops room to be 1-tile wide.
- repair & finish the Tall Bar.
- enlist all feverish citizens (bonus goal: send them to pick a fight with the tower)
   - except:
     `> Salmeuk and whoever's mayor; nobles lose rooms when leaving on a raid.
     `> the SKILLED dwarves, in case the resurrection gambit works.
     `> all named dwarves, because it's rude to deliberately send people's avatars to their death.
     `> miners and woodcutters, because weapon conflict. We still have weapon conflict, right?

Secondary Priorities:
- do something with corpses in cave3. I'm tempted to just dump them in magma; it isn't even far...
- finish sealing Cave3
- conquer the other 2 caves (overseer throws a sinister gaze towards the feverish military).
- revise the food situation. At this point we have our own little overproduction crisis, when it comes to animals and meat.
- create a beekeeping area, somewhere; either on the roof to the east, or on the surface.
- a small above-ground farm in the goop zone; I want to see how plants vary.
- magma stack; how are ya? Mostly destroyed? Yeah, I should probably rebuild you as a courtesy to applet and/or my successor, shouldn’t I?
- engrave slabs for the overpaca (and other dead?) See what's on them.
- raise the overpaca as a zombie, cage it, and build its cage somewhere.
- decommission the old cage & door labyrinth. The trolls wrecked the doors, and nobody remembers where any of the levers were, for the few bridges built in them.
   - and extend the tree farm in the freed space. If I do right by the cavern, this won’t be really needed.

Fantastic gameplan. I like to think I took care of the fort efficiency unifing and moving stockpiles, but in the grand scheme of things I didn't acheive much. Maybe set the foundation at best and put in place some contingency airlocks. Fixing the hospital and getting rooms down is probably the only practical thing I did :P
Repairing the tankard? :D
Recon was a bit grouchier than usual at the traditional new years party. A whole year without a tavern. So when the new overseer despite the abrasive personality and ominous name declared their intentions, she wholeheartedly raised a glass with a smile

---------------
thoughts: removing the fever from all named dwarves via dfhack?

also an idea: get the central arena tower sealed off already. There's a hole in it letting goop in!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 04:46:59 am by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: October 07, 2020, 06:38:29 am »

Why Recon's squad instead of the GraveWardens? They already have all of the legendaries, and it seems like it would be easier to base it off the commander's squad. Unless you're planning to get my dwarf killed as well.

also an idea: get the central arena tower sealed off already. There's a hole in it letting goop in!
The goo can't get in there, it only falls in the swamp in one corner of the map. That whole area should be off-limits. The skylight is to prevent our militia from getting cave adapted, so they don't become useless if they ever need to fight on the surface.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 109