Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 409080 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers welcome)
« Reply #690 on: October 09, 2020, 02:32:28 pm »

The two molemarians are replaced… by two different molemarians. Screw it, I’m opening the cave and unlocking the hatch. Maybe those two will wander out of the way... yeah right. They immediately corner one of the Swamp Hunters and hill him before anyone else can interfere.

Unsure if this was intentional but it hit me in the pun

nice writeup!! Looks like applet's up next.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 09, 2020, 05:59:13 pm »

I got the save, it loads up OK.

Can I use dfhack to clean up the caverns from corpses and body parts? or am I (not) doing this the long way?

I'm cool with DFHacking away the excess.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: October 10, 2020, 02:06:32 am »

I got the save, it loads up OK.

Can I use dfhack to clean up the caverns from corpses and body parts? or am I (not) doing this the long way?

I'm cool with DFHacking away the excess.
Turns out not to be needed, I'm running at a comfortable 99 fps.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: October 10, 2020, 04:19:44 am »

The inner thoughts of a ghostly Alpaca
applet, Ghost/Undead Re-Ex-Overpaca

I see myself in a cage. I don't look anything like I used to. Also I seem to be in two places at once, how odd.

I decide to go check on the dwarves - I find them gathered in one of the rooms with lots of tables and chairs.

"I guess this is going to be another year without an overseer", I hear one of the dwarves say as I enter.

"Then I will be overseer again!" I say.

No reaction from anyone. I spit at one of them. The spit flies right through the dwarf in question. Odd. She shivers though. Hmmm.

"Yeah I guess so" the spitted-through dwarf says.

I go right up to one of them and try to give him a push with my head. My head passes right through his body.

"Is anyone else feeling extra cold, just now?" My pushing-target asks.

"No, it's just your old bones" Another replies.

I engrave a message on a nearby wall - "I'm still here".

One of the dwarves take notice - "Hey, who engraved this crap over here?".

"Probably one of the of kids, don't worry - we can replace it with something proper later" replies another.

"Best get back to work - just do what seems to be needed"

The meeting is adjourned. I follow one of them out of the room, except he slams the door in my face, I pass right through the door as if it was still open.

This is going to be a difficult year to manage.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: October 10, 2020, 06:23:21 am »

Hmmm... Interresting roleplay here !

I dont quite get it though. Are you a ghost ? I tought you were Zombified.
 Or maybe your mind is the ghost and the zombie is your body.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 10, 2020, 06:33:56 am »

I'm all aboard the canon that "zombies" are animated without a soul, while "ghouls" have their soul in there.

Now the real question is how is the Overpaca carving without fur? I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION!

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - it's like a tiny home but filled with ghouls
« Reply #696 on: October 10, 2020, 07:47:40 am »

applet, Ghost/Undead Re-Overpaca

Central heating! Destroyed! Curses!

I try to push one of the dwarves towards the broken parts - only to pass right through him, of course. Instead I lick his hand, which he pulls out of the way, simultaneously jumping a bit towards where I want him to go. Aha!

I 'herd' this dwarf over to the broken parts, one step at a time by licking his hand. When he tries to go another direction I go through him which seems to freak him out enough to stop.

When he's at the broken central heating I stop and observe. He seems unsure what to do. The dwarf tries to walk to the dining room, I block him. He shivers.

Finally he seems to get the point, if he doesn't want me to interact with him, he better stay at central heating.

Eventually he gets bored and apparently figures that if he can't leave, he might as well do something productive - he starts repairing central heating. Success!

---

I notice a dwarf hurrying in the distance. While running after him I hear yelling, I turn and run towards the yelling instead. Two dwarves are beating on each other with their fists. Then one of them leaves - the other seemingly so enraged that she cannot move.

I move through her and she instantly "cools off". Another job well done!

Although another dwarf picks her up and drags her off towards the soap room.

I follow - thinking of getting a soapy bath - but I am disappointed to find that I am unable to interact with the soap in any meaningful way. Awww.

---

I'm on my way down, doing the weekly inspection of how work is progressing on central heating I run into the previously hurried dwarf. He doesn't seem to hurried. I go into the workshop he just left.

What a peculiar item.
Ledpaddled

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: October 10, 2020, 12:08:12 pm »

applet, Ghost/Undead Re-Ex-Overpaca

I see myself in a cage. I don't look anything like I used to. Also I seem to be in two places at once, how odd.

I guess you could go by Al Paca now? lol

Also any artifact made from gems makes me happy, as they always seem so real. I think I've even seen a white jade ring in a museum full of stolen artifacts from ancient China.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: October 10, 2020, 01:00:47 pm »

fascinating!
here's a question, if the overpaca can go through walls, why not floors?
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: October 10, 2020, 03:57:45 pm »

applet, Ghost/Undead Overpaca

New faces! Covered in Goo! Then they cleaned themselves and started sweating, just like the old timers. They'll fit in great.

---

I spot a glimmer-eye heading straight toward me. Going through me. No reaction. Hmm..

Find her in a workshop, of course.

I decide to stay and watch until she is finished. This new form of me has its adavantages, never really get hungry, also the dwarves cannot shove me out of the way which is particularly handy right now, as they never let me look at them work normally.

I realize I've been standing for days in the same spot, mesmerized by the glimmer eyed dwarf. She's finished this magnificent.. box?

Now I realize I cannot remember how she made it.

She does seem much quicker at cutting blocks now though, so I think she remembers some of what she did.

---

Central heating is working! It is magnificent! It is also leaking heating fluid into the fort. Woops.

I now feel comfortable to retire. We'll see if this 'Fort' needs me further in the future.

OOC

Power train for central heating has been improved and is now ready for when the gobbos show up - leaving recoverable goblinite after burning. The dispensing brigde burned on the first test, since I forgot about magma proof mechanisms. Woops. Adding that back in seals the dispensing building against climbing building destroyers. The roof is protected from climbers by a lip (afaik).

The tankard stump has been sealed from outside threats, there were more then a few holes, external doors replaced with walls. I also added one level to it, but I'm unsure how its supposed to progress.

The migrants arrived in the bad corner, while it was raining. Sigh.

I did no necro experiments or anything else productive really.

KingZultan is OK again, down to ~300 stress. Reg is doing worst at ~21k, has had some breakdowns, to some part because Zultan was beating on them every time she had a tantarum.

There was a lot of crap queued up, which took a while to realize - mostly cavern cleaning. In fact the Cave dragon that was killed during my Last turn was now hauled back to a corpse pile. During this I stopped bone crafting - which should probably be resumed to get our legendary bone crafter down in stress.

Military wise I recommend letting our armorsmith run steel pants (leggings) and recycle anything not masterwork. This will increase steel supply and train up the skill, but tbh the gear isn't the big issue with the military, rather fighting skill. Also steel is really heavy, so for extended fights I've never had any luck with it.

Probably also a good idea to ensure only 1 active tavern, and put a keeper in, to keep the undeadery drunk enough.

Save http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15241
Ledpaddled

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: October 10, 2020, 06:16:03 pm »

Well done, applet! I've never bothered to learn how to make a pump stack, but I imagine it will come in handy until our military can recover.

Got the save. Poor Nogood's been sleepless/starving/dehydrating/suffocating/internally bleeding in the booze pile for almost two years now. I'll have to try re-ghoulifying him, or at least let him die with some dignity.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 10, 2020, 07:20:05 pm »

Also any artifact made from gems makes me happy, as they always seem so real. I think I've even seen a white jade ring in a museum full of stolen artifacts from ancient China.

Some googling ended up with me on some horrific ebay and amazon pages selling jade rings touted as Chinese artifacts. Judging by the prices, they're not /real/ ones - but here's a pretty example. (Not nearly ancient, Qing dynasty was only 200 years ago.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This one is supposedly Ming (1300's-ish), but doesn't have the level of detail I'd expect from anything in the Ming dynasty. Interesting designs on both though - I like the Qing one since it has that DF quality of being chocked full of imagery.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

KingZultan is OK again, down to ~300 stress. Reg is doing worst at ~21k, has had some breakdowns, to some part because Zultan was beating on them every time she had a tantarum.

To be fair, it's my fault King Zultan got beat up the first time - it makes sense she'd go after Reg.

Got the save. Poor Nogood's been sleepless/starving/dehydrating/suffocating/internally bleeding in the booze pile for almost two years now. I'll have to try re-ghoulifying him, or at least let him die with some dignity.

This is an interesting problem with ghouls - never quite dead again, but eternally suffering. With more testing we should add this to the wiki. It may be necessary to appoint Nogood as a mayor of one of the hillocks if no recovery is possible.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 10, 2020, 07:46:59 pm »

This is an interesting problem with ghouls - never quite dead again, but eternally suffering. With more testing we should add this to the wiki. It may be necessary to appoint Nogood as a mayor of one of the hillocks if no recovery is possible.
Well this situation is kind of specific to Nogood and his particular bugginess. A normal ghoul wouldn't be affected by his injuries at all. In fact, back in my first turn he got his spine broken by that human ghoul hammerwoman and brushed it off like it was nothing. Because of his glitchy journey from ghoul to ghost to living dwarf again, he is now immune to most forms of death but still suffers the non-fatal effects (e.g. quadriplegia) like a normal dwarf would. I'm not sure how reproducible this half-undead state is.

I don't think I could even send him off to a hillocks, he seems to be locked in place, forever trying to get a drink but unable to move. The only thing for it is kill him via brain destruction and hope the necromancer is up for performing a re-re-resurrection.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 10, 2020, 07:56:43 pm »

I would not blame you in the least for save-scumming.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 10, 2020, 08:35:17 pm »

Spoiler: Pretty Things (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:31:03 pm by Darkening Kaos »
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 109