Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 407019 times)

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - it's like a tiny home but filled with ghouls
« Reply #705 on: October 11, 2020, 05:47:48 am »

Well done Applet! It is good to finally be able to drown those gobbos in magma! Lets just hope we don't turn this into another boatmurdered

also, thank you Dark for providing the overview of Smallhands. If you want we can dorf you, or take a turn :3

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 18th of Obsidian 166

Armok above, I can't believe I had to strike every candidate from the overseer's shortlist last year for various reasons. I'm still struggling to wrap my head around that one dwarf who wanted to remove all alcohol from smallhands. How can someone be so stupid?? He wasn't even undead!

Somehow though the fortress continued without incident. Shocking really since we STILL don't have a tavern. I guess everyone was in good spirits as somebody realised how to rebuild the central heating/goblin disposal project after having a slight chill. Lets just hope the tankard gets completed this year...

We have a few decent candidates: Nogood, Ushrir, Salmeuk... Oh, I have to strike Ast from the list after that incident with the soap. If he can't handle a bucket, he can't handle a fortress.

I'm gonna pin the tower plans to the noticeboard. Hopefully someone notices next year
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: October 11, 2020, 08:44:56 am »

By the way, I'm volunteering for another turn. Hopefully, one with less fever, and less death.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: October 11, 2020, 11:09:34 am »

One might also consider repurposing GooHive into a magma trap, at the end of my turn i noticed that a short pipe (5 urists) would allow magma down in there from the surface... would need drains in there though, as well as a internal blocking of the passage to stop enemies escaping further into the trap.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: October 11, 2020, 09:29:05 pm »

The Towering Tankard is just about where enemies always show up for sieges...to pour magma right there at the pull of a lever would be great.

By the way, I'm volunteering for another turn. Hopefully, one with less fever, and less death.

Gotcha on the list.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: October 12, 2020, 12:52:30 am »

Go ahead and dorf me, named Kaos, a mechanic whose efforts will be in making a trap-lined corridor somewhere, filled with giant axe blades, war-hammers, mauls and the like.
     I won't take a turn as yet, maybe further down the line, (I'm a little burned out on DF at present).
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: October 12, 2020, 07:29:56 am »

After Crystallake and maybe after Smallhands is drowned in magma, I think I'm going to do a community game experimenting with this whole undead situation...

Take for example a failed mood - certain death, but what if death doesn't matter any more?

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: October 12, 2020, 01:29:01 pm »

After Crystallake and maybe after Smallhands is drowned in magma, I think I'm going to do a community game experimenting with this whole undead situation...

Take for example a failed mood - certain death, but what if death doesn't matter any more?
I don't see the reason you cannot do that right here?

Speaking of, does ghoul resurrection regenerate body parts? I was under the impression that it doesn't.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: October 12, 2020, 06:04:11 pm »

Speaking of, does ghoul resurrection regenerate body parts? I was under the impression that it doesn't.

Part of what I'm thinking might require a new world generation - intelligent undead are meant to get powers from resurrection - in adventure mode they definitely gain one per "type". I'm not sure if our necromancers give those out or if they are just unavailable in fortress mode.

Missing body parts remain missing. Smashed parts should not heal, but I'm not sure about when they're re-alived.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: October 12, 2020, 09:57:30 pm »

The inner thoughts of an Undying Overseer
Nogood Manorcircles, half-ghoul who really wishes the “undying” part wasn’t so literal right now

It has been nearly two years since that ill-fated battle against the necromancers’ minions left me dead in every meaningful way. My limbs lie useless at my side. My blood burns, stagnant and screaming for air, but I cannot force my lungs to take a breath. I have no voice, and I must scream.

And yet, I am learning to master my suffering. You can become accustomed to anything given enough time I suppose. I have taught myself to close out all external stimuli until I am just a tiny ball of self in a vast black sea. It is remarkably similar to what I remember of being a ghost. Remaining in this state, I start to see lines of energy flowing between me and other glowing nodes. This must be the power of life and death, the strings that tie me to my failing body. The slabs appear as two burning stars in the void. I see the captive necromancers as well, their veneer of dwarvenness worn away leaving only sharpened spikes of hate and madness. Looking further, I see… is that an alpaca?

Never mind that. What’s important to me now are the smaller nodes, the ones that belong to my ghoulish brothers and sisters. If I can just reach out to them, extend my will through our shared undead lineage… maybe… Yes! I can communicate with them! They shall be my hands, eyes and ears in this new existence.

1st Granite, 167

Smallhands has seen better days, but also far worse. The militia is in shambles due to successive losses and reorganizations. The Gravewardens have been populated with useless fodder and the Rainbow Raptors never returned from their raid on Sinewsabres. Fortunately, we still have two able-bodied legendary warriors, Tosid and Dumed. They were relieved of duty when the Gravewardens were repurposed into a meat grinder by the last overseer, but I’m reinstating them now. The only other melee dwarves of any skill are Recon and Deduk, and they have the fever. Seems like no one has been training for years. Probably all cave adapted. We’ll need to rely on our archers and traps for the time being.

I’m passing on my title of militia commander to Tosid. I’m in no shape to lead anyone in battle, and she’s always been the best soldier I could hope for. I know she’ll be able to return the Wardens to glory if anyone can.

Meanwhile, nearly a quarter of our population are now ghouls. I suppose I should be grateful for this, even if it is the result of a horrific campaign of mass murder. Unfortunately, these ghouls seem to lack the single-minded devotion that I had. They still cling to mortal needs and desires, becoming distracted when they can’t satisfy them. Most worrying is their inability to speak and socialize. They will stand around for days in mute silence while desperately trying to mimic social activities now lost to them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looking around further, the fort seems to be running mostly well. Although we do have an absurd number of caged prisoners and animals…

Speaking of prisoners, I’ve reinstated King Zultan. Of course, there’s the matter of the crimes which lead to her dismissal. She’ll receive a letter bearing my seal that should clear that all up.

28th Granite

I attempted to reach out to one of the living dwarves like I have been able to do with the ghouls. My thoughts seem to have affected her in some way, but not in any way I can control.

7th Slate

Jewel chains, shackles of the gods. Seems she got the gist of my recent feelings. A fitting tribute to Wheevilmessiah. It shall serve the Temple of Puppets well.

I haven’t been able to reproduce this result in any other dwarves. Perhaps Ineth was already primed to produce such an artifact and I just gave her the right push.

Part of what I'm thinking might require a new world generation - intelligent undead are meant to get powers from resurrection - in adventure mode they definitely gain one per "type". I'm not sure if our necromancers give those out or if they are just unavailable in fortress mode.

Missing body parts remain missing. Smashed parts should not heal, but I'm not sure about when they're re-alived.

The forlorn ghouls have the hide/invisibility power. It makes them un-targetable and extremely dangerous for adventurers, but I’m not sure if it has any effect in fort mode. If you can find a necromancer that learned from the other slab (only Sive Namedauras so far) they might have a different form of intelligent undead they can raise.

The intelligent undead keep whatever injuries they had on death but heal as a living dwarf would once resurrected.

Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: October 13, 2020, 01:28:29 pm »

So, in other words, we don't know a way to bring back a creature that is immobile to 'normal' state, only mobile intelligent undead. Where will necro science take us next?
Ledpaddled

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: October 13, 2020, 05:57:08 pm »

I love when dwarves name artifacts after themselves. Great writing nogoodnames, looking forward to more.

I really have no idea - smashed heads can be raised as intelligent undead - would the just instantly die if the ghoulification was cured?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: October 13, 2020, 09:34:23 pm »

The inner thoughts of an Undying Overseer

The slabs speak to me. I think I have always felt their whispers, but now, with all physical sensation blocked out, I can hear them clearly. Whether the voices belong to the gods of the dead or the slabs have their own unearthly intelligence, I cannot say.

It is clear to me now that we were meant to find them. That giant’s coming was no accident, nor is the fervent antagonism of the necromancers. We may be ensnared in the machinations of evil gods even now. Well, I have no intention of playing along. Those slabs will remain locked away for as long as I still have any power in this world.

13th Felsite

Our militia has been stripped down to bare bones. Four front-line soldiers lead by Tosid and Recon and the four Swamp Hunters lead by Ast. Enough to deal with most common threats, but not break a full siege. The Swamp Hunters have resumed their regular zombie giant shooting exercises. I’ve held off on restarting melee training sessions because Dumed is very stressed out right now. A tantruming legendary axedwarf is a terror to behold. He’s doing some creative therapy right now and he’s quite prolific.

1st Hematite

Spring has passed without incident. The elves never showed up to trade, but that is unsurprising given the antagonism of previous overseer and their near destruction by the goblins.

I have been working on a more effective way to enact my will, but the distracted ghouls are proving a hinderance. Other projects are also progressing slowly. I had hoped to use the ghouls to permanently quarantine the vile swamp but getting them to commit may require drastic measures.

- Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: October 13, 2020, 11:34:55 pm »

Did we catch a glimpse of Weevilmessiah there?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: October 13, 2020, 11:48:54 pm »

I've got to draw the Temple of Puppets with the statue of him binding the demon lord to the world sometime. I was planning on doing something with it but things didn't work out like I expected.

RE: Ghoul healing, they don't need nerves to use their limbs, so they only permanently lose mobility if they get dismembered. Even pulping heals eventually. Nogood fully regenerated when he transformed into a ghost (except for some missing teeth, oddly) and that's the body he got when he came back as a real(ish) dwarf.
                        - Random human lord

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: October 14, 2020, 09:52:31 am »

interesting so far nogood!

Just a heads up, if Nogood finishes his turn before then, I will not be able to pick up until at least after the 22nd. RL's throwing me some curveballs atm
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 109