Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 407096 times)

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - it's like a tiny home but filled with ghouls
« Reply #720 on: October 14, 2020, 11:41:16 am »

So I planned on making a "status of the world" post, but then I realized that my 162 save that I was using may be somewhat outdated. Time to see how things are going now that legends viewer and dfhack work again.

Edit: Somehow auze is still alive. The elven civilization is fighting a losing battle against the goblins. The Rainbow Raptors are still imprisoned at the Necromancer tower (note for the future: if you plan on openly attacking an enemy that outnumbers you, it's probably best to actually check how good the dwarf you made leader of the attack is at military tactics. We had a Novice with a small amount of skilled swordsdwarves (and some not-so-skilled) attack a Grand Master). One of the few bright sides is that the Humans are steadily increasing in number now that they aren't throwing people at a Goblin Fortress, but it's not fast enough. Also, nobody has written a book in about 8 years.

The world is about 75% doomed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 12:05:08 pm by auzewasright »
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: October 15, 2020, 03:31:21 am »

The world is about 75% doomed.
That seems pretty good compared to other fortresses, and about the same as the world we find ourselves in.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: October 15, 2020, 10:07:41 pm »

The inner thoughts of an Undying Overseer
Summer 167

16th Hematite

The slacking ghouls have forced me to take drastic action. They are now banned from the main temples and other meeting areas. Four of them were stuck trying and failing to pray or socialize. Worse, they were distracting themselves further by neglecting the needs they can still satisfy. Better they had remained dead if all they are going to do is mope around all day. Maybe that seems too harsh, but it’s important to remember that they don’t have feelings anymore.

At least now we might make some progress on the Tall Bar. Maybe we’ll even get to seal off the swamp this year if they’re quick enough.

27th Malachite

With everyone working at full capacity, I’ve finally been able to enact some of my plans. First of all, I need to get off this damned floor! This will get a bit messy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ah, much better! It may be cramped in here, but at least I am upright again.

8th Galena

Dumed has decided to bestow the name Gethustrecus, “The Harsh Thirsts” upon his shield. Apparently, it commemorates the two days the booze stockpile was locked so no one would get crushed during my relocation. He’s melodramatic as ever, I see.

That makes me wonder, what ever happened to my old shield, Quicknesshawk? It would do well to store it alongside Ravenwind, but it’s nowhere to be found.

22nd Galena

Something made me try reaching out to another dwarf. Mateusz this time. Call it a gut feeling (if I could still feel my guts). I was rewarded with the same frenzied activity as last time. We’ll see what comes of this.

24th Galena

Something about my contact with Mateusz has… stirred something within me. I’ve never thought of myself as a craftsdwarf. Never thought about making an artifact of my own. But now that I’ve seen it done, felt the mad explosive power of creation… I can’t help but realize that I may never be capable of it now. That I may never use my hands again, never truly express myself.

The slabs have intensified their whispering. The things they tell me gnaw at my mind. Any comforting illusions I may try to hold onto are swept aside by their scourging truths. And they do speak truth, that I am sure of. I do not think they are even capable of lying. I know the choice before me, but I cannot face it. There is very little room for hope in my future.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:28:08 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: October 15, 2020, 11:26:16 pm »

Oof - well...that's a bit sad.

I love it when names line up with recent events. After a horribly violent tantrum spiral leaving all but a few dwarves dead or on the way out, one dwarf had a child named something-hope.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: October 15, 2020, 11:39:17 pm »

Yeah... it might have been a good idea to mention a few turns back that Int Undead will just get more distracted (and so slower to work) unless you do something like assign them to the militia and just never stop training. We should probably work towards getting the ghouls to go back to living.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: October 16, 2020, 12:22:50 am »

24th Galena

Something about my contact with Mateusz has… stirred something within me. I’ve never thought of myself as a craftsdwarf. Never thought about making an artifact of my own. But now that I’ve seen it done, felt the mad explosive power of creation… I can’t help but realize that I may never be capable of it now. That I may never use my hands again, never truly express myself.

The slabs have intensified their whispering. The things they tell me gnaw at my mind. Any comforting illusions I may try to hold onto are swept aside by their scourging truths. And they do speak truth, that I am sure of. I do not think they are even capable of lying. I know the choice before me, but I cannot face it. There is very little room for hope in my future.

This retelling of King Lear is the best since Ran.

My dwarf remains alive, after all these years. The opposite of expected!

Oof - well...that's a bit sad.

I love it when names line up with recent events. After a horribly violent tantrum spiral leaving all but a few dwarves dead or on the way out, one dwarf had a child named something-hope.

Hope is present at Smallhands, but only in ever-diminishing quantities. We should trade for some from the elves.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 16, 2020, 05:40:24 am »

Yeah... it might have been a good idea to mention a few turns back that Int Undead will just get more distracted (and so slower to work) unless you do something like assign them to the militia and just never stop training. We should probably work towards getting the ghouls to go back to living.

That's a good point that I had completely forgotten about... Nogood was a special case who was satisfied with fighting forever, I think. Being relatively new he probably wasn't burdened with things like "family" or "religion". Psh.

Either put those ghouls in the military or put their flesh back on.

Yeah, Salmeuk the Eternal. Completely immune to stress at this point, I think. I'm waiting for him to drop dead of old age. To die of age in a succession fort is an accomplishment rarely achieved.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 16, 2020, 08:00:07 am »

dwarf fortress succession games: where death by old age is considered one of the most awesome ways to perish x3
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 17, 2020, 12:03:07 am »

Yeah, Salmeuk the Eternal. Completely immune to stress at this point, I think. I'm waiting for him to drop dead of old age. To die of age in a succession fort is an accomplishment rarely achieved.
He's only in he eighties so it'll be a while yet.

That's a good point that I had completely forgotten about... Nogood was a special case who was satisfied with fighting forever, I think. Being relatively new he probably wasn't burdened with things like "family" or "religion". Psh.
Nogood is a very special case. He doesn't have needs at all anymore, so he can never be distracted. Only one of the new batch of ghouls, Vutok, has the same condition.

Either put those ghouls in the military or put their flesh back on.
They're a bit better behaved now that they're banned from socializing. But yeah, military work would be the best for keeping them somewhat focused. The resurrection via ghost bug isn't exactly consistent, and as Nogood is demonstrating, there are some unfortunate side-effects.

- Random human lord

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
  • and locally produced cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 17, 2020, 03:07:48 pm »

May I be dorfed? preferably a someone with bonecarving although other than that I don't care.
"ya dun stole ma battly axe!"

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 17, 2020, 11:09:43 pm »

May I be dorfed? preferably a someone with bonecarving although other than that I don't care.
Sure, you can be Dumed since he’s the only active bonecarver right now. He’s kind of high-risk due to being in the military and bad with stress, though.

- Random human lord

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
  • and locally produced cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: October 18, 2020, 11:12:59 am »

Sure, you can be Dumed since he’s the only active bonecarver right now. He’s kind of high-risk due to being in the military and bad with stress, though.

Insanity is preferable  :D

You get more highlights.
"ya dun stole ma battly axe!"

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 18, 2020, 11:22:22 pm »

I love this - has a very weary tone to the whole thing.

In regards to Sal only being 80 - I'll settle with him being made into an artifact - but nothing else.

Insanity is preferable  :D

You get more highlights.

This is a good mindset. I often choose safe boring farmers or children and then never see them again.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 19, 2020, 03:56:36 am »

I've noticed an unfortunate tendency of my dwarves to get killed if I put them as anything remotely related to being productive to a burgeoning fortress.

that's why i took tavern keeper and armoursmith jobs- both are supposedly important, but most overseers don't realise it and so leave them be
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 20, 2020, 08:59:56 pm »

The inner thoughts of an Undying Overseer
Autumn 167

1st Limestone

One of the ghouls managed to fall off the walls of the Tall Bar during some construction. He’s uninjured, and as luck would have it, is trained in woodcutting. Looks like it’s a good time to start clearing out the swamp.

…Oh, he’s not carrying an axe for some reason. Fine, open the gate and let’s hope an army doesn’t show up. We have some business on the surface.

5th Limestone

At long last, I shall be returned some measure of dignity. The greatest artisans of Smallhands have come together to devise a way for me to properly hold audience without relying on ghoulish intermediaries. Based on a simple instrument, they have created a device to force air into my atrophied lungs. Finally, I will be able to speak with my own voice.

The great mechanism has been installed under the Temple of Puppets, in the slab chamber. I will be able to keep eternal watch on them to ensure that no one will ever be able to misuse their power again.

The machine starts up, pumping fresh air into my lungs for the first time in years. I practice a few words. With air flowing in and then out, I can manage a wheezing, halting form of speech. I summon Salmeuk to explain my plans. He has known me the longest, from the time of my first resurrection when I was a barely conscious thrall. Yet even he is unnerved at the bizarre mechanisms sticking out of me, and the ghoulish voice they allow. Nevertheless, he listens intently. We have much work to do.

This is not the fate I wanted. I had hoped to die and return as a ghoul once again. At least that would put an end to the pain. But it seems fate has different plans. The slabs have told me that the necromantic magic within me has mutated and been stretched to its limits. A single scratch now, and my body would crumble to dust.

And yet here, in my crystal sarcophagus, I am immortal, truly undying. The slabs don’t tell me everything. I know they hold some things back, try to manipulate me that way. They want me to take the easy way out. They want someone else to wield their power and unleash a plague of undeath on the world. What else can I do but delay them, for as long as my will holds?

9th Limestone

The caravan arrives early this year, unharried by goblin raiders. Hopefully this portends a productive autumn.

The liaison brings word of the annual goblin attack on our homeland in the mountains. They were repelled by the warriors there, as usual.
It seems the constant sieges must be wearing on their supplies, as our new trade agreement offers a significant bounty for fresh ammunition.

For reasons beyond me, our mayor chose to meet the liaison in a half-flooded room of the abandoned asylum. Unsurprisingly, he was quick to conclude his formal business and get out of there.

13th Limestone

Mateusz has completed what he started working on after our minds touched. If it’s like the last one, it could hold hints to my hidden inner thoughts...

Well, that’s a little on the nose, don’t you think?

15th Limestone

We took everything worthwhile from the traders in exchange for some of the masterwork bone carvings Dumed has been pumping out. Oh sorry, he goes by Murr2 now.

Speaking of Murr2, I’m sending him and Tosid on a stealthy raid of the forest retreat Stonesnarls, recently conquered by the goblins. If we’re ever to face the necromancers on our terms, we need someone trained in offensive military tactics, and that means experience in the field. They’re the best soldiers we have, this should be a walk in the park for them. Even so, I can’t help but worry given how disastrous many previous raids have gone.

19th Limestone

And they’re back! They stole… a bundle of arrows and a single plum. And didn’t note enemy positions or make any effort to devise new tactics. Well that was time well spent! Guess we’ll just have to slowly build the militia up until they can risk attacking openly again.

28th Timber

Construction on the wall to encompass the swamp has proceeded adequately. No more dwarves should randomly wander into it. Now all that’s needed is to seal the edges of our territory so no foolish migrants try to come from that direction.

If anyone -ideally only ghouls- does need to go into the swamp, there’s an entrance that crosses our tree farm. I’ve had water channels dug out to hopefully prevent them from tracking the ooze into the fort.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 09:06:49 pm by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 109