Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402691 times)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - it's like a tiny home but filled with ghouls
« Reply #735 on: October 21, 2020, 04:42:54 am »

Nice addition to finally having securised the swamps access. That moat to clean one's feet is a nice thing as well.
Maybe the swamp fever will be under control one day...

Hooo, and Nogood reminds me of Bane. That instrument-mask is kinda cute in its ways.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 21, 2020, 05:15:25 am »

nogood looks amazing! Super cool, nogoodnames!

Yeah, great to have that corner under control. I'm hoping we can seal it off totally - and if any migrants arrive there...well, the goo take them.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 21, 2020, 08:08:07 am »

this has got to be one of the best fortresses I have been in. Year 9 probably being the best we had.

Look at it from the mountainhome's POV

Year 1: At the behest of the possibly no longer sane queen, 7 of the smallest dwarves are sent into the middle of evil to build a fort for no other reason than expanding the queen's domain so she has something to do other than grieve

Year 2: The first migrants are sent, and the diplomat reports back that smallhands is prospering, however the diplomat claims he saw the dead walk when he left.

Year 3: Smallhands is last seen being stalked by the dead and a great maze is constructed.

Year 4: The dead have invaded. The diplomat is also killed. Traders report back that smallhands has likely fallen or burrowed underground. There are curses in the air and evil echnidas stalk the land. There's still signs of life though...

Year 5: Human mcstuckwagon due to his stuck wagon doesn't get killed by the undead when the rest of his trade convoy continue to smallhands. He reports back seeing caged and defeated undead and the necromancers leaving. The report reaches the mountainhomes who send some armed migrants to reclaim smallhands.

Year 6: Traders come back home and report that smallhands was unable to trade and was otherwise quiet. When pressed the trader admitted he got cold feet. In response the traders are jailed, news of smallhands' survival led to several volunteers migrating to smallhands with dwarven optimism assuming everything was underground

Year 7: Elves report gaining good profits from smallhands. Queen sends lots of migrants once the news makes its way north. Smallhands is prospering

Year 8: Goblins and necromancers invade. The necromancers eventually leave and the invaders are driven out by the smallhands military. Its a proper fortress now! Smallhands begins an ongoing revitalisation program to clear the corpses and detritus.

Year 9: Smallhands destroys cactushexes and Glimmersanctum, ending a century long war. Or should have...the flow of time is still convulted, with two Nogoods appearing. The Queen does not care though and seeks to take advantage of this by sending some migrants to set up some hillocks near smallhands. Smallhands continues to become a formidable outpost, raiding goblins, kobolds, elves and necros alike, even capturing a cyclops

Year 10: Baron Salmeuk and Overseer Amara give the elves the boot. The Smallhands legal system is in uproar, with kingzultan taking charge. The humans prove to have a knack for tactics keeping the necromancers away from smallhands before coming to trade and slaughtering some werepigs.

Year 11: Due to outstanding legal issues, the overseer election ends up being mixed up with the animal pasturing list resulting in an Alpaca taking over. Nonetheless traders report that Smallhands has begun central heating and magma pumping.

Year 12: After successive repelled invasions necromancers were captured, however one of them, the infamous Spriggans had another card to play and enthralled most of the population. A tower is begun to build but thanks to the resistance of Zultan, the tower turned into a tomb for Spriggans ending his brief reign. Nogood the undying ends up taking over the fortress just in time for a giant to invade, a slab of necromancy in each hand. The mountainhomes never learns what happened to the slabs.

Year 13: The elf prince arrives, once more demanding limits to tree cutting amidst rumours of him sneaking where nobody should be going. Suspicious, the queen sends more migrants out to establish new hillocks just before dying. The new queen however immediately elevates Smallhands to a duchy. The greast asylum is furnished. The aftermath of the necromancer's hold is laid bare- most of the dwavres are infected or fevered for life. Smallhands seems to begin experimenting with reviving the dead as murder and crime begin to soar...

Year 14: Smallhands' latest overseer causes some legal trouble for the mountainhomes by executing the elven prince who was on diplomatic business for trespassing, attempted theft and necromancy. A monument is started amidst a wide ranging industrial and legal overhaul where nothing of any importance other than sock production was finished. A surprisingly stable year after the first month

Year 15: Alas, the previous year's peacefulness was shattered as much as the windows in the half finished monument when goblins invade. Smallhands also discovers the human representative was in league with the goblins.

Year 16: The latest overseer of smallhands condemns smallhand's population to a year of murder, zombification and ghoulification under the guise of dwarven !!science!! amongst the many incidents, smallhands military is decimated over time.

Year 17: Unrest and a strangely empty overseer candidate list leads to smallhands having another year without an overseer. It doesn't help matters that rumours of a ghostly alpaca stalking the halls are abundant. The dwarves finish the magma system and do little more than make the fortress tick over giving the Mountainhomes great concern given previous incidents of unrest... Fortunately as time goes on the Dwarves start getting less fearful, complete with a candidates list leading into

Year 18- our current year
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 08:20:01 am by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
  • and locally produced cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 21, 2020, 10:15:43 am »

I think I'll do a round after the next one is posted. And after I figure out how the pics work.
"ya dun stole ma battly axe!"

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 21, 2020, 05:58:34 pm »

-snip-

Thanks for doing this, recon - I'm going to post this on the front page somewhere.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: October 21, 2020, 08:59:33 pm »

The inner thoughts of an Undying Overseer
Winter 167

1st Moonstone

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Goblin invaders, and two construction workers caught on the surface! To arms, dwarves! We must save Olin and… Olin? I guess if one of them dies, it’ll at least make keeping track of people a bit easier.

Several trolls and their unarmed elf slave are pushed out in a mad charge, but they quail at the sight of our elite warriors!

This is chaos, but we are winning.

2nd Moonstone

Perhaps I spoke too soon. A second wave has arrived, riding beak dogs. This could get ugly fast.

We’re too spread out. Tosid’s liable to get overwhelmed if she doesn’t retreat. Recon’s out of the fight after getting stuck between two trolls and a sword-goblin. Meanwhile, I caught Murr2 slinking back underground after barely contributing to the fight. Get back out there, you coward!

Our soldiers have met the approaching wave. There’s no calling them back now. I can only hope they manage to break the enemy’s resolve before succumbing to the overwhelming numbers.

3rd Moonstone

It’s a slaughter out there… We killed dozens, but they still have an entire army of goblins, trolls and beak dogs. Too many for one legendary soldier and a handful of rookies. They fought well but were ultimately only mortal.

We have no other choice. We need to seal off the surface. Salmeuk makes the call.

But wait, what’s that? I thought I told the surviving militia to retreat and defend the staircase. Who’s that barrelling through the gate… Murr2!

I appreciate your spirit, but it would have been much more effective earlier in the battle. This is little more than a suicide charge.

4th Moonstone

This has been an unmitigated disaster. Every melee dwarf in our militia is dead, and the Swamp Hunters have been reduced to two members. At least one of the Olins managed to esca-

Oh, come on!

Wait, something is changing on the surface. Are they… retreating?

Murr2, you mad bastard! You’ve done it! Now we have a chance to recover the bodies and bring them back!

Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 21, 2020, 10:53:14 pm »

yey .u.

If nobody else is queued up, I'd like to take a shot at doing a round.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: October 21, 2020, 11:31:42 pm »

At least recon died next to the giant tankard, as I presume he'd have wanted. Murr/Dumed died doing what they loved - chopping up goblins. RIP in eternal life, militia.

Sal knows what it takes to stay alive.

If nobody else is queued up, I'd like to take a shot at doing a round.

I chucked you on the turn list - you can find it on the front page. About 4 people before you. Let's hope it's not a repeat of Numbercurse.

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: October 21, 2020, 11:54:33 pm »

probably not, as the numbercurse incedent was more of a flabbergasted meme turn (I was fairly confused on how to make the fort work and had probably zero chance of winning.)

Being behind four people is probably fine, plenty of time to work on my personal fort, Gemsinged.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 12:26:05 pm by Murr2 »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: October 22, 2020, 02:17:42 am »

What a massacre... :(

Let the 3rd of Opal be known as a Sad day from now on...  :-[

EDIT : on the plus side, I'm sure new migrants will come, and they'll be fever-free ! :D

Do you think we could we somehow "recover" our legendary warriors captured during a mission years ago ?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:15:23 am by Spriggans »

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 22, 2020, 05:13:07 am »

..or just raise the fallen we just lost
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: October 22, 2020, 05:23:31 am »

I say we raise them, as in smallhands the dead don't stay dead for long.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 22, 2020, 06:06:17 am »

Thanks for doing this, recon - I'm going to post this on the front page somewhere.

oh wow that's an honour. Do bare in mind this is the mountainhomes version of events, the true history is a little different
At least recon died next to the giant tankard, as I presume he'd have wanted.

She died swinging, determined not to let the goblins desercrate her tower a second time

The last will and testament of Recon the Tavern Keeper Overseer

If this scroll has been opened, it is because I have joined the ranks of the dead here in smallhands. Whether by murder, invasion, drawbridge or worse- my experiments trying to brew magma into alcohol resulting in catastrophy, I am now departed and leave this as my final message.
I wish to have two memorials, one in the ranks of the overseers, and another in the Tall Bar. While I do feel that I am the only dwarf with a sense of monumentality in this fortress, I at least hope the tower is completed after I have departed. I would also prefer a bronze statue, as high quality as possible in the tankard memorial.

Regarding my possessions I, Recon, do hereby declare as follows
To the current overseer: Unless you had me deliberately killed there is a bottle of Armok's Finest hidden in the central emblem on the base floor of the tankard. It is strong enough to get even the furthest gone ghoul drunk a few times.
To Rigoth, hammerer: You get my bronze hammer. Hopefully you can learn to execute better with it.
To Olin, legendary glassmaker: I am sorry I could not get a statue of you during my reign. Please accept my last pair of masterwork socks that I ever weaved

Finally to anyone who thinks about using that terrible necromancy on me.

Don't bother.

I have another way

Edit: wait...the siege broke? damn how many did we take with us?
also good news- I passed my exam! so I'm free to pick up the save now
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:19:45 am by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 22, 2020, 06:19:22 am »

@Recon : if you are raised as a dwarf as an undead as a living-undead-ghoul sucessfully, you will engrave these memorials yourself !

But since you explicitely specified not to be necro'ed....
I wonder what is this other way ... :/ Guess we'll see soon enough !

(btw Congrats on Exam ! Free drinks for everybody !! :D )
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:23:09 am by Spriggans »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 22, 2020, 08:04:07 am »

@recon, true that it is mountainhome POV but it is also a good intro to the fort in a succinct way - appealing enough to encourage reading more but more approachable than the giant wall of spoilers and links we have now.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 109