Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 410801 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - it's like a tiny home but filled with ghouls
« Reply #750 on: October 22, 2020, 04:44:56 pm »

Honestly I'm glad we can finally fight something face to face without getting instagibbed! The amount of ghost-mutants-with-laser-weapons in the caverns is on a frightening level.

+1 on that writeup Recon, I love a good historical timeline. Perfect perspective on the larger, living world.
Smallhands destroys cactushexes and Glimmersanctum, ending a century long war. Or should have...the flow of time is still convulted, with two Nogoods appearing. The Queen does not care though and seeks to take advantage of this by sending some migrants to set up some hillocks near smallhands. Smallhands continues to become a formidable outpost, raiding goblins, kobolds, elves and necros alike, even capturing a cyclops

A good year indeed.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 22, 2020, 06:32:11 pm »

What a massacre... :(
Yeah, it was a total disaster from the moment those panicking trolls lured our militia out. Half of them were scattered past the gate before I could even think of closing it. Not to mention Murr doing the opposite of every order I gave him. The drawbridge crushing Olin when he finally made it in was just icing on the cake.

Edit: wait...the siege broke? damn how many did we take with us?
also good news- I passed my exam! so I'm free to pick up the save now
Judging by the unit list, we killed 39, with another 11 caught in cages and a few wounded stragglers who might still drop dead before making it off the map. Most of the kills were probably from Tosid and the one ghoul I drafted. He was unskilled, but it took half the goblin army dog-piling him before he finally went down. Those guys are damn near indestructible when they've got steel armour.
And good to hear! I'll finish up in the next couple days.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: October 23, 2020, 03:57:19 am »

Judging by the unit list, we killed 39, with another 11 caught in cages and a few wounded stragglers who might still drop dead before making it off the map. Most of the kills were probably from Tosid and the one ghoul I drafted. He was unskilled, but it took half the goblin army dog-piling him before he finally went down. Those guys are damn near indestructible when they've got steel armour.
And good to hear! I'll finish up in the next couple days.

impressive, 50+ kills from a handful of dwarves in rubbish armour.

Thanks for taking your time with the fort btw. I guess I'm lucky smithsoldier died too.
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 23, 2020, 09:07:07 am »

Thanks for taking your time with the fort btw. I guess I'm lucky smithsoldier died too.

I've been meaning to read through Smithsoldier - it started around the same time as Smallhands and I see it as a kind of sister-fort since it shares so many overseers with this one. I'm sorry to hear it died.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 23, 2020, 09:40:58 pm »

The inner thoughts of an Undying Overseer
Winter 167

4th Moonstone

Dawn breaks over a sea of blood. A few wounded goblins still stumble around the battlefield, but the bulk of their force has fled. Two trolls are rampaging in our keep, trapped there when we sealed it. They should leave once the gate opens again. If not, they’ll face our hastily drafted ghoul warriors.

However, it seems that not all the fighters have had their bloodlust sated.

Vutok, spirit detached from his body, has become full of blind, murderous hate. He struck in the temple of the abandoned asylum. King Zultan found the body when she went to pray for the fallen. He will need to be memorialized quickly.

8th Moonstone

The trolls and a few other stragglers are refusing to leave. They must have some idea that our military was annihilated and thought this underequipped rabble would be enough to keep us underground. Little do they know of our deathly secret. The fools will soon learn to fear the power of our ghouls.

Glorious. If only they had been equipped and ready for the main battle, things could have played out much differently.

11th Moonstone

We must work quickly now that the surface is clear. Those bodies need to be brought down to king Kol before they rot beyond the reach of his magics. Only the ghouls will be allowed up there for now. The dwarves here are of sound mind, but better not to test their resolve with a pile of corpses.

15th Moonstone

The late Inteth is the first to be tossed to the resurrection chamber. I had high hopes for him, given his pristine corpse, but all we got was a common zombie.
He is followed quickly by Ast, with similar results. Such a waste.

Meanwhile, the memorial to Vutok has been completed. A tasteful reminder that he has always been a murdering bastard.

21st Moonstone

It seems that fate had one final, cruel twist for us. The rest of the bodies were thrown in as one large batch. Of all of them, only Vutok came back as an intelligent ghoul. Somewhere, deep in his fractured mind, I know Kol is laughing at us.

Such a shame. As ghouls, Tosid and Murr would be warriors beyond compare. We all saw how, even with minimal training, Vutok kept the entire goblin army occupied before finally falling.

As for Vutok himself, his recent murder leaves a foul taste in my mouth. Even if I could forgive that, and the macabre set of pants he turned Amaru into, there is the matter of his injuries. The goblins literally had to tear him to pieces before he dropped.

He’ll never be useful to fort in that state. Death will be a mercy for him now.

I had almost given the order to hit the disposal lever, but then thought better of it. These dwarves were heroes of Smallhands. Even as zombies, they deserve some respect as they meet their demise. I commanded our ghoul squad, renamed the “Siege Breakers” now that it’s clear Tosid won’t be leading the resurrected Gravewardens, to put an end to them. They killed all but Murr2, who stumbled into the cage trap.

Unfortunately, the pile of sentient ground beef that was once Vutok had to wait for the bridge to come down to find his release.

We’ll need to expand the Hall of Martyrs to memorialize them all.

Final post coming tomorrow.

It was probably a bad choice to try to ghoulify them all at once. Necromancers presumably will use one raise interaction on however many targets they have available, so if they choose to zombify, they will all be zombies.

So, Murr2, do you want a new dwarf or are you happy as a caged zombie for now?

- Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 23, 2020, 09:47:13 pm »

Rest in peace, brave warriors. Vutok's brain was missing. Pretty impressive they got back up after that.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 24, 2020, 05:29:35 am »

I feel that all the ghoul stuff we're doing here is for the benefit of dwarven scientist everywhere so they can learn from what we've done, and hopefully refine the process to a 100% ghoulification rate!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 24, 2020, 07:25:32 am »

Rest in peace, brave warriors. Vutok's brain was missing. Pretty impressive they got back up after that.

Indeed rest in peace you legends. Though I noticed no mention of my body. This will be an interesting final update...

Regarding vutok's injuries
it was actually his brain had only functional loss which is unsurprising. Feebleminded and psychopathic as he was

His actual injuries was losing his hands and feet (cut off), the front half of his head punched off (likely a bludgeoning blow given the marginal damage to lower lip and blindness of the eyes) about 3/4 of the back of his body from upper legs to just below his crown was all smashed and pulped and only minor bruising to his internal organs following getting crushed in the back.

and more than likely he still survived that until he bled out, grappling goblins with his elbows given he got brought back as a living ghoul

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 24, 2020, 09:05:37 am »

That's pretty fucking metal.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 24, 2020, 12:57:16 pm »

Indeed rest in peace you legends. Though I noticed no mention of my body. This will be an interesting final update...
In accordance with your will, your body wasn't tossed into the resurrection chamber. It ended up being interred in one of the empty coffins in the catacombs. Of course, it's not too late to change your mind...

and more than likely he still survived that until he bled out, grappling goblins with his elbows given he got brought back as a living ghoul
He was already a ghoul so he couldn't bleed out. They're actually more likely to be brought back as intelligent if their body is horrifically pulped. That's why he came back as a ghoul rather than a zombie like the others.

He actually died when a lasher nearly bisected him:

But you're right about how he kept fighting until then. Limbless, pinned down by a dozen enemies and stripped of most of his armour, he still managed to headbutt a beak dog to death.

- Random human lord

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
  • and locally produced cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 24, 2020, 08:39:35 pm »

Oh golly, A caged zombie?

(In more seriousness, I'll pick another dorf when my turn comes)
"ya dun stole ma battly axe!"

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 25, 2020, 04:20:04 am »

The inner thoughts of an Undying Overseer
Winter 167

The more I think on it, the more I come to the conclusion that the failure to resurrect our warriors is a blessing in disguise. It is clear to me that we have long been puppets of forces beyond our comprehension. Our necromantic experiments have been sponsored by these powers from the start. Why they targeted Smallhands, I cannot even begin to guess. The identities of the culprits, however, are obvious:

Daze, human god of thunder, lightning and death. No doubt disappointed that his chosen disciple never accomplished anything beyond a short-lived dictatorship.

The Wicked, goddess of murder, death and peace. Perhaps her necromancers have failed her as well, so she sought us to punish their arrogance.

And, of course…

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lorsith Weevilmessiah, the Regal God. God of thralldom, and patron of the demon lord. I am now convinced he is behind all of this. Who else could mastermind a plan to have us convert our population into ghoulish thralls? He’s made puppets of us all.

Olon and I, the original ghouls, both worshippers of Weevilmessiah. We were the first to demonstrate the power granted by the shackles of undeath. The endless harrying of the necromancers, who perhaps didn’t know the purpose of it themselves, set us on the path to slavery. The infernal fever, a curse from the demon, made us desperate. I took the first steps to turning the necromancers’ power to our side. I intended it to only be used in dire circumstances, but it was only a matter of time before someone gave in to temptation and began mass conversion of our dwarves into ghouls.

Because of me, over a quarter of our population is undead. To our manipulators, this is only the beginning. They want to unleash the full power of the slabs. Maybe they intend for Smallhands to unleash a plague of undeath upon the world. To lead an army of ghouls and enslave the living. I cannot allow that to happen, but I know I will not be able to protect the slabs forever. If someone were to walk into this chamber with intent to steal them, I could not lift a hand to stop them. However, I may have a way to seal them away yet. And perhaps also, to atone for my part in this horror.

For now, though, there is much work to be done.

14th Opal

Imic was relocating one of the imprisoned beak dogs when it got loose and mauled Malfoy.

Couldn’t have happened to a better dwarf. Still, better get the ghouls to put it down before it hurts someone who doesn’t deserve it.

6th Obsidian

Time seems to grind to a halt as the mighty “central heating” pumps roar to life. Let their fires cleanse the battlefield!

BURN!

The keep is suffering some collateral damage. We’ll need to rebuild it with magma-proof materials if we’re going to continue using the central heating like this. It will be better when the Tall Bar is ready to act as a reservoir and we can do more targeted strikes.

19th Obsidian

That deals with most of the mess on the surface. All that’s left to me now is to ensure no one can misuse the slabs. I cannot bring myself to destroy them, if such godly artifacts even can be destroyed. I fear the effects that might have. And as loathe I am to admit it, the powers of necromancy have done us great good as well as evil.

I cannot guarantee the slabs will never fall into the hands of those who would misuse them, but I can make them much harder to get. I will seal my chamber with a flood of magma. The slabs themselves have been locked behind protective glass. Meanwhile, perhaps the sacrifice I have prepared will appease the gods of death, and they will leave us alone for a time. At the least, it will help deal with our cluttered cage stockpile.

As for myself, well, I have to answer for introducing this undead curse to Smallhands. If the slabs were truthful, I will not suffer long. I am cutting my strings, Lorsith!

20th Obsidian

The artifact floodgate I had chosen to seal the chamber has melted under the intense heat.

A pity, that means Ravenwind will be consumed as well. I have no use of it now, but I had hoped to preserve it out of sentimentality.

The sacrifices are dead, save two zombies, and yet I still live. Curious. Mercifully, my nerves were singed off very early on, and I no longer feel anything at all. Or maybe I am truly dead. It would be hard to tell at this point.

1st Granite

I am still here. Everything else as melted away, yet I persist.

I see now. My body has burned to ash, just as the slabs said. They do not lie, but they can withhold information. They never said I would die from this. Will I ever die? Perhaps that’s something not even the slabs, or the gods who created them, know. I am something new, something beyond their magics.

So, Weevilmessiah, it seems my servitude continues. But it is no longer service to you. No, I will guard these slabs. Not out of a sense of duty, nor out of sacrifice for the good of my fellow dwarves. There is only one thing that will fuel my will in this endless watch, and that is sheer, unrelenting spite. As the ages pass and this place is buried under the ruins of a hundred civilizations, I will be staring back at you with utmost hate.

And in this crystalline sarcophagus,

I AM ETERNAL.

SAVE

Thus concludes the saga of Nogood, at least for now.

I’ll post an explanation of what’s going on with him soon. Suffice to say, he’s quite unique.

The fort’s a bit of a mess right now, but it’ll survive. Everyone’s pretty happy. The only stressed dwarf was Murr2.
                        - Random human lord

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 25, 2020, 04:48:28 am »

Hail Nogood !
Thanks for your sacrifice. May your watch bring us some peace at last.
Gotta admit I'll miss you :-[

Your "dwarf" is the closest to a greek Legend Ive seen: I mean, you ARE undying. Cursed to burn foverer, protecting some Gods you disrespected....
Being drown in Magma for eternity seems a more dwarfy way though !  :D
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 25, 2020, 05:51:14 am »

Damn nogood, that was an amazing finish. Shame about ravenwind and the door. I guess this just goes to show that even magma can't burn away undying hatred.
I have got the save and will post the prologue too later today

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 25, 2020, 08:20:36 am »

Fucking incredible nogoodnames. The art you contribute and story you have crafted is just amazing. Truly, eternal magma drowning is the dwarven way to go, and making nogood a permanent fixture of Smallhands seems fitting.

I'm looking forward to you take on what exactly is happening to nogood.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 109