Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402694 times)

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - it's like a tiny home but filled with ghouls
« Reply #780 on: October 28, 2020, 07:02:42 pm »

Man the wiki needs a massive update with what’s been found here. This is a shining example of true dwarven !!SCIENCE!!
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
  • and locally produced cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 29, 2020, 09:29:39 am »

I could try and add some things, although it would be kinda nice to have a list of things we need to add (cuz I joined late and have no idea what is going on)

One thing right off the bat, we discovered immortality and literal reincarnation. Not sure how but cool.
"ya dun stole ma battly axe!"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 30, 2020, 07:13:37 am »

With the power of NECROMANCY!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 30, 2020, 10:31:01 am »

I don't think NECROMANCY would be the correct term

more like !!NECROMANCY!!

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: November 01, 2020, 09:23:13 am »

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 8th of Granite 168

Nogood deserves my thanks for putting some more floors on the Tall Bar. I'll ask around later where the ground floor windows went but for now it appears he even made a worthwhile attempt to keep even materials on each floor. He also filled the bottom floor with gold which was both great as it means I no longer have to use brass for the furniture, but also damn it! I had a mug shaped relief on that floor! I dug about and sure enough, the bottle of the brew I left in my will was there still. Time to dig the excess out and get some silver down. A golden tankard on a silver back. That's the Tall bar emblem.

I laid down the plans to finish the tankard flooring and then decided to take stock.

Spoiler: stocks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: bars (click to show/hide)

There's trouble already. We flat out don't have enough soap or charcoal to make soap and pig iron. I have taken it upon myself to inspect our equipment and the results are...less than satisfactory. We have some good quality equipment, but calling the majority finely crafted is but an insult. Our weapons are a little better thanks to our now dead legendary blacksmith.
The former was caused by one of the Overseers crushing all the animals I left to grow so we could harvest them for soap. The latter is caused by our living smiths being fevered and the undead ones...being used in the military? Our only good armoursmith is Amost, undead and distracted. She won't be able to produce anything of any quality.

Fine I will learn myself. My clothier experience will be useful. KingZultan used up all the dye anyway.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 17th of Granite 168

Salmeuk remove this at once! Mine it yourself! Then engrave something better about me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On a side note, while exploring the memorial hall for a place to put a slab to Tholtig, I happened upon Salmeuk's old chamber. It was still missing a statue. Nobody had bothered to replace it despite it being one of the first orders of my reign. I continued further, seeing all the engravings above each slab and coffin. Filled with disgusting images of their last moments or humilitating events instead of displaying their glory and achievements.

Is this really what smallhands has come to? Have the majority embraced necromancy to the point we can't even memorialise dwarves that have departed for Armok's halls honourably?

I cracked open a bottle of longland beer that evening and started drawing up some new plans. Smallhands will memorialise its dead properly from now on, and this will require a new Hall of the Dead to be dug out.

On the way out I needed more strawberry wine. Smallhands really has slipped since my previous reign. I thought a previous overseer was going to stamp out this elven plague

The Mayor has issued a demand and a mandate. A black bronze statue in his bedroom? Export of statues prohibited?
Why Mayor Avuz, I do believe I have here a notice stating that you are to nominate your replacement as me effective immediately.
I also replaced Malfoy as the Hammerer and brought back my old hammerer Rigoth. Can't trust that dwarf with anything resembling importance and as we all know the Hammerer is an important position.

Sadly, we had some bad news this week. A cat has been missing for a week.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 3rd of Slate 168

The elves have arrived. Those traitorous tree huggers almost cost Smallhands on more than one occasion. I will trade with them for now, but the moment they start getting greedy, I will be starting my military campaign ahead of schedule.
Hang on...what's this in the stockpile?

I wonder if elves are willing to buy their reanimated fallen. I mean to them its food that can be delivered to their door. Despicable cannibals.
I'm going to attempt to sell them all their old elven crap back. We are dwarves, we use dwarven stuff here. The only elven stuff we want is booze and seeds. The former isn't even elven, tis but a dwarven invention our ancestors foolishly leaked the secrets of in the past.

Auze came back to me while I was choosing what to sell. The elves didn't exactly have anything we wanted or needed, at least none of it that was tainted with elven pestilence. But they did at least have some properly produced hempen clothing from the Mountainhomes and some Bayberries I can produce a new type of alcohol with. Fortunately for them, the "value" of the elven rubbish we had was more than enough to get our dwarven things off that caravan.

While this was going off I saw a child running about gathering materials. Said child is Sazir something, they been quite withdrawn lately so this sounds promising.
Another interesting development happened today- migrants!

2 Peasants and two children. Normally I'd grumble at unskilled labour, but blank slates are useful as it stands. Oddom has some training in the use of a crossbow and armour, whereas Zan has the basics of metalsmithing. I'm sure we can put the two of th-

...What's that noise?

It appears that Reg didn't quite understand the command of "Drag the elf to the depot" correctly. Neither did Logem for that matter, the elves got out and they appear to have fought each other. Reg buzzed off north as fast as possible whereas Logem decided wisely to shut the door. Unfortunately that left Avuz in the stockpile chamber while fetching some seeds. Luckily Avuz hadn't handed in the mayoral keys and locked the door. Logem also made sure to lock the security hatch on the emergency stockpiles.
At that point the elf ghoul sped off north seeking to take out Reg. Reg somehow managed to slam the door shut and jam it so the elf couldnt get in and Logem upon realising this locked the bone room door, unlocked the security door, then locked the bone room stockpile entrance, sealing the elf inside the bone room freeing Avuz.

I'll drink to the quick thinking actions of those three. That could easily have been deadly to people we can't afford to lose.

I will send our siege breakers in shortly, I will station them in the stockpiles entrance rather than the central staircase, then lock them in until they are dead. I gave our ghouls a signal to bang on the door when the all clear is sounded.
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: November 01, 2020, 04:51:12 pm »

Salmeuk remove this at once! Mine it yourself! Then engrave something better about me.

Salmeuk News Network: Fair and Balanced

I cracked open a bottle of longland beer that evening and started drawing up some new plans. Smallhands will memorialise its dead properly from now on, and this will require a new Hall of the Dead to be dug out.

Some kind of grand monument to all the long-dead heroes (and the soon-to-be-dead recruits)? Exactly what we need.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: November 02, 2020, 04:16:13 am »

Smallhand

more like !!NECROMANCY!!
!!Undying Overseer!!

Nice work, Recon. Hopefully the Tall Bar can be reached.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: November 02, 2020, 04:55:46 am »

Salmeuk News Network: Fair and Balanced
No censorship here, no sir not a bit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: November 02, 2020, 05:29:44 am »

My dwarf has a wonderful combination of personality traits

"She thinks she is fairly important in the grand scheme of things"
"She is quite ambitious"
"She holds well laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard"
"She values honesty"
"She deeply respects those who work hard at their labours"
"She really respects those who master a skill"
"She values military prowess"
"She respects fair dealing and fair play"
"She tries to act impartially and is rarely moved to mercy"

So she's offended not just because its insulting, but because it showcased nothing about her sills or achievements.
It was the fly on top of the pile of rubbish that was a memorial hall full of dwarves being kicked by camels and echinidas
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 05:33:51 am by recon1o6 »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: November 06, 2020, 05:08:06 am »

I was thinking about the magma and the Towering Tankard. If we can pump magma into it enough that it "overflows" down the sides on all 4 sides - that would be enough to make about 1/4 of the map unpassable and also cover the usual siege point. It is truly in an ideal location.

How's it going recon?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: November 06, 2020, 05:31:41 am »

I had the misfortune of a laptop crash mid game a couple of days ago, so I been playing catch up from Slate. I got to late month 5 btw, slate is month 2
Having to dig out the memorial centre a second time was frustrating, because I had the design in mind, but I just could not remember part of it and kept fiddling with the designations until it was correct.

Gonna try and update in a few hours.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: November 06, 2020, 05:43:18 am »

Ouch, that's rough. Looking forward to an update whenever it happens.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: November 06, 2020, 11:45:41 am »

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 19th of Slate 168

Progress on the Tankard has finally started again. I have had the seed stockpile laid down and the drinks stockpile too. The workers complained about two dwarven children and another migrant lazing about outside it though. Apparently they hadn't got the message to enter through the fortress entrance rather than the Tavern in progress. I understand of course, who wouldn't want to go for a drink first thing as they arrive at a new settlement.

Sazir, the weird child has also started building whatever it is in that little head that requires materials from all around the fort. Lets hope its something useful.

I have been spending the last couple of weeks drafting, redrafting and drinking. Usually in that order. The planning for the new memorial hall has taken up a lot of my time due to some restrictions and rules I am going to be putting in place regarding the hall of the honoured dead

1. The deceased must have been a dwarf.
2. The dwarf must not be an elf lover
3. The elf hater is required to have contributed to SmallHands
4. The contributor must have been a citizen of SmallHands or been actively earning citizenship.
5. The citizen must be in good standing upon their death.

Therefore, a small portion of the old memorial hall will not be eligible for transfer to the new one. Examples include Vutok for his murder of Ex overseer Amara, and certain elves that a certain predecessor of mine should be arrested for entombing. In addition, as this is a memorial hall to the honoured dead

we will honour them

All entrees into our hall will receive the following: One statue depicting them in their life at their prime performing their proudest achievement or most worthwhile one to Smallhands.
A memorial slab or coffin as appropriate to the dwarf and chamber.

Those that have performed military deeds for the fortress shall be put to rest within the second tier of honours. They who gave their lives in order to safeguard our home will receive a Wall engraving of themselves serving Smallhands in addition to the previous benefits.

Finally, certain rooms shall be allocated for Legends of the Fortress. Each shall be customised to their holder's wishes, or if deceased to proudly display their life and glory in the finest of detail. Any unfulfilling floor engravings shall be removed. All wall engravings shall be determined by the owner. Floor engravings shall be left to the artist on the condition they are made from a different citizen's fond memories of that dwarf

Naturally, only myself, Nogood and Salmeuk have earned that honour so far.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 3rd of Felsite 168

The Hall of Honour has been laid down

The top floor has rows of alcoves dedicated to each dwarf. A statue at the back of each alcove depicting the dwarf, and the slab or coffin in front of them for people to pay their respects at when they go pass. Each corridor shall start at a nexus. Each individual nexus shall have pedestals in its corner holding certain gemstones for symbolic reasons.
Each corridor ends in a room. These specific rooms shall be made to tell the story of smallhands's crowning moments in our history. These rooms shall be engraved last and only after discussion from the overseer to the public. I'm probably being rubbish about this, but my artistic sense...isn't the best at times.

The bottom floor is split into three separate sections. The heart shaped rooms in the centre are for our legends of Smallhands. The eastern most rooms will hold those crafters who wish to be beside their artifacts they made.
The western rooms will hold the military engravings. The north will hold our ranged squads, the south our melee teams.

I drafted the plans to accomdate increased demand  as well, there floors above and below with undug space that can be used if additional memorials are required.

In other news, apparently Sazirs artifact was a tunnel tube earring. Unfortunately, this means Sazir has been irrecoverably tainted by the elves. I shall have to execute him. At least one of the kids was playing with a toy axe made of iron, a proper dwarfy toy.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 19th of Felsite 168

When Felsite came around I was reminded that I hadn't started yet on finishing the one outstanding issue from my last reign's production issues. Namely the military.
Our military is reasonably skilled. All 5 members of it. There's 3 ghouls in the siege breakers, myself, and Ast our legendary marksdwarf. I thought there was six but then I remembered to cross off Tholtig. Either way there's simply not enough of us.

2 of our 3 ghouls were training as normal, albeit as best they could with their falling apart bodies. When I asked about Rigoth, I was directed to the hospital- there I saw a sight that almost made me want to drink to forget: Malfoy the murderer, happily stiching up and treating some ghouls back together. Why couldn't he do that with our living dwarves? Mind you our only other option is Salmeuk, and if he's not around, I don't blame all of us among the living who have injuries from getting treated.
Looks like I've finally found something for our new peasant to learn. Medicine

After some chatting with the missing ghoul, and a walk around the fort, I ccalled attention at dinner that night the same way I always done. Slamming my granite tankard against a mat. I announced that from now on, all living dwarves not in the guard or possessed of invaluable or unique skills will be getting military training every other month. In addition, more ghouls are going in the military. A full time force will be training always, but there will be two backup forces that alternate their on duty months. Smallhands needs to get into fighting shape again if those goblins come back.

It would also give me a break from making clothing alongside King Zultan each month. Sure, the pair of us are churning out legendary clothing like there's no tomorrow but we shouldn't use all the cloth in the fort. Not if we are repairing our ghouls now.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 15th of Hematite 168

Hematite has arrived and with it, the realisation I hadn''t done a single thing to the smity or to address our lack of quality armour so far this year.

I needed a drink when I then realised that all the progress I had made towards training a smithing force in my last reign had gone up in flames over time.

Correcting this was important if Smallhands is to be glorious bastion of all that is dwarfy once more. I had our miners dig a couple of chunks out of the big open area to the south of the magma forges and set up three stockpiles to replace the old useless ones. On the left is low grade metal for melting. On the top right is military emergency. In here lies poor quality steel and iron equipment plus silver bludgeoning weapons. The bottom right is where all high quality equipment is going for use by our armed forces.

I announced a short clean up of all jobless dwarves to go fetch any equipment off the surface. While there shouldn't be any jobless dwarves while the Tall Bar is still be assembled, going out in the sun will be a fitting punishment for some of these slackers. I also laid down some smithing orders so I can manufacture some good metal furniture for my tavern after a previous overseer melted the few things I had.

Curiously, when I want on the surface myself, I found the axe I inherited from Tosid. This thing has quite the history, and its such a work of art too. I'm glad to have it back.

I think I'm going to use it on the raid next month.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 04:03:46 pm by recon1o6 »

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: November 06, 2020, 04:44:37 pm »

Das pretty neat, my dude.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: November 06, 2020, 08:27:24 pm »

I believe this is the third graveyard we've built? Kind of telling that we need so many...
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 109