Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402666 times)

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
  • and locally produced cat.
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - it's like a tiny home but filled with ghouls
« Reply #810 on: November 13, 2020, 12:26:25 am »

I like these ideas. But we also must keep it small, like the fort.
Rough draft of some kind
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(in a spoiler, in order to conserve precious valuable text pixels.)
"ya dun stole ma battly axe!"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 13, 2020, 06:11:09 am »

I like the look of that one, it covers all the major points while remaining nice and compact.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
  • and locally produced cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 13, 2020, 04:24:59 pm »

My 2 braincells thank you. (seriously though, people here are making immortal legends, while I just lost my entire militia to elves)
"ya dun stole ma battly axe!"

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 13, 2020, 06:03:05 pm »

Speaking of legends - how's progress, recon?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: November 14, 2020, 05:10:37 am »

Slow, going through every dwarf who died in smallhands in legends is time consuming. It would be out of character if I didn't

I'm sorry for the slow turn guys
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 14, 2020, 09:01:01 am »

Which is exactly why I just let the engravers decide how they wanted to remember their fallen comrades. Not my fault that the most memorable thing about most of them was getting stomped to death by a zombie camel  :P
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 14, 2020, 09:06:39 am »

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 23rd of Galena 168

The new memorial halls are coming along nicely. I've sent a couple of dwarves to start smoothing ready for the engravings. One of our new metalsmiths is going to work on making statues of the deceased, the other is creating some higher quality instrument pieces and furniture for the Tall Bar than the stuff our ghoulsmith made.

I missed having a proper tavern. 5 long years the Towering Tankard was in construction. While it seems most of Smallhands' population still doesn't understand the appeal and function of a monument, they at least understand a tavern. Even the ghouls have come in on occasion for my assistance in feeding them a drink. All the ones that aren't training the new recruits that is.

Our military strength has been buffed to a respectable 11. 3 marksdwarves, 8 melee dwarves of which 4 are ghouls. Everyone is wearing steel and wielding a weapon of choice. Well...they should be, I still see some ghouls in bronze annoyingly.
Training  unfortunately hasn't took off as quickly as I hoped due to a lack of quality steel helms and weapons. Armour I can do myself now, I'm...well competent I suppose. My armour does the job and I occasionally make a fine one that would fetch a lot at the market. Still, I'm the best none fevered dwarf in fort at armoursmithing so its me who has to do it
The weaponry on the other hand is easy to solve, the surface still has quite a few good weapons we can use.

I started brewing a new drink. I'm gonna call it the Raider's Respite. Its gonna be in celebration of what we're about to do.

Raze Sinewsabres to the ground, free our troops and end that necromantic scourge on the world!

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 17th of Limestone 168

Blasted diplomats, we were just about to set off for Sinewsabres! what do you want?

oh...trade. Right. I guess we can postpone the raid... as soon as Auze strikes a deal. Logs, coal, metalwork, parchment, booze, plump helmets much to my frustration. The usual things. We have loads of crafts and tools to offer them. Perhapd we can even purchase some metal crossbows for the swamp hunters.

Many military folk and some overseers beside will probably be wondering why not just use wood for the crossbows. Something I observed during training was that when our marksdwarves are out of ammunition, instead of getting more they tend to...bludgeon enemies instead of reloading. Using their bows as hammers. Great idea admittedly with the undead about so much, but wooden hammers are not very good. Not compared to the vast quantities of iron we have. That way we won't get as many instances of dwarves taking too long to bludgeon a prone goblin to death after being turned into a pin cushion.

Come to think of it, what's taking Auze so long?

AUZE! YOU JUST HAD AN ENTIRE BARREL!

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 24th of Limestone 168

The diplomat brought us some grave news. A huge army from the goblin capital to the south marched on Staffhoisted to our north. Thats why the caravan was late this year- they had to circumvent the goblins.
That being the case, this caravan is absolutely loaded with goods! An entire page devoted to plump helmets! Several sheets of parchment devoted to military equipment. Plenty of writing materials for our scholars and even a few bars of platinum.

Mestthos the diplomat also mentioned to me in the tavern that the current Queen was concerned that the goblins may have overrun smallhands, hence the Mountainhomes caravan. The goblins would have had to pass by us entirely or invade if they wanted to go to Staffhoisted.
Fortunately so far this year we haven't seen any goblins apart from the one whose corpse I had dug up then burned in lava after it was buried in our old graveyard. We have had a large amount of the Fever rain so its possible the goblins simply chose to skirt around instead of invading.

Still, I don't blame the mountainhomes for taking precautions...wait what?

Armok above, the Mountainhomes found a way to kill these terrors and make food out of them? I'm simultaniously impressed and mildly shaken by that.
Its a good thing I got Auze to stop drinking himself onto the floor, because this was by far the best trading caravan I have ever seen. We sold over 200000 Urists worth of crafts for enough resources to run Smallhands for years!

These are what I got

57 barrels of booze of which 9 were dwarven wine- its back on the menu everyone!
20 Pieces of steel or good quality iron armour
11 bags of quicklime
7 bags of gypsum plaster
360 plump helmets
145 quarry bush leaves
Some giant cave spider silk garments to supplement our pig tail ones, number unknown
12 metal toys for our surviving children to play with while they grow up into dwarves. (I found one elven toy and sold that for 2 urists. Apparently there's a dwarf the trader knew that liked to use elven toys as target practice instead of simply destroying them)
14 parchment sheets
23 instrument pieces
1 cat and a kitten (hopefully this pair survive long enough to catch the rats)

Finally a platinum flask that I will freely admit I bought for over 5000 urists after I broke my granite announcement mug.

As a notice to all hauliers: Artifacts do not belong in the bins with the other crafts, especially if they are military grade. Imic had to drag 3 out of the depot, one of which was Zafful, our artifact steel mace. Our crafters will not b-

An ink stain covers the writing

Can't the fey at least pay attention to where they are going?

Well, trading's done and the caravan guards said they will hold up here for a bit. Thank you Auze, you done a fantastic job. I'll leave you to store everything. We'll be back soon.

Its time ladies and gents! Time to free our people. I will lead the charge!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 14, 2020, 09:09:26 am »

I appreciate your attention to detail, recon - all the statues last time and now unique engravings. Pretty nuts. This would be a cool fort to explore for people who haven't played along here. That is...except for the winding corridors to nowhere and other leftover projects.

Take your time, ensure each dwarf is remembered how they lived - getting kicked by zombie camels and being laughed at for losing positions.

Ninja'd by an entire update. Looking forward to reading it!

Edit: Drink to the end of Sinewsabres!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 09:16:00 am by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 15, 2020, 04:17:49 am »

How long have our guys been trapped in that tower, probably should have rescued them earlier, but I'm sure they'll appreciate being rescued at all.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: November 15, 2020, 04:59:08 am »

Since my turn, so... Like 4 years.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 16, 2020, 01:28:54 pm »

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 10th of Sandstone 168

After several weeks of delays and frustration involving a misplaced gauntlet we finally set out for Sinewsabres on the 7th at midnight, arriving to invade at dawn on the 8th. After much fighting we have returned and I am thrilled to report

VICTORY BELONGS TO SMALLHANDS!

My intention was to attack with the dawn's rays in our enemies eyes from the East. Unfortunately my opponent on the tactical front was Ushrir the necromancer. One of the foremost tactical minds of our time alongside myself. He's often been stated to be a Grand Master of tactics and it showed. He ended up ambushing us along with some zombies and his servants.
Were it not for my tactical thinking in separating into groups of 4 with 3 melee to a ranged, we would all have been struck down there and then. Tis fortunate I devised this strategy for it allowed my team to clash with the ambushers from multiple angles as soon as the fighting started. Sadly our ghoul squad deviated too much from their assigned position and they ended up having 3 members struck down by a goblin and an elf
The former I could understand at the time, the latter was just an embarassment so good riddance to Amost.

I then thoroughly revised my opinion when I met the same goblin in single combat. Needless to say with my skill at arms, the fight didn't last too long. Neither did the elf when Rakust started swinging. Rakust beat the elf singlehandedly, literally, Rakust only has one functional hand.
Finally our Blacksmith ghoul Vabok got attacked by the necromancer himself and cut him down easily.

We then spent the next day tracking and slaying the last elf, surrounding and executing them mercilessly and had a celebratory drink after searching Sinewsabres. What I found there was grisly, but relieving too. We had ended a great evil in this world by slaying Ushrir. A once proud general that capitulated to goblins and sought to extend his life, delving deep down into hell and consorted with demons. He took on multiple apprentices including Spriggans who is now the final member of this insane group of necromancers. Needless to say he won't be doing much business for his Overlord rank while he's in that tower  :)

Alas, we found no trace of our captured citizens. But I did find a note stating that those dwarves were seen fleeing. Sadly that's all it said. If there was anything else we didn't find it. We burned down the tower on the 10th and came home.

We did get some loot though including a theatrical play called "It must have been Tenacity"
The whole thing was more a rant than anything else but it shall serve well as a trophy over the dreaded Ushrir.

Nothing too special but some more instrument parts never go amiss.

Smallhands! Free drinks tonight for we vanquished a great evil! Raise your tankards and shout your toast to the heavens for Smallhands is and always will be TRIUMPHANT!

A platinum flask shaped beer stain is on the bottom of the page

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 25th of Sandstone 168

With the raid out of the way I finally got an opportunity to revisit some of the outstanding works being performed in Smallhands. Things seemed to be going as planned

See here my fellow dwarves? This is the work of someone who respects our dead and our heroes. My predecessors did not on the whole. This slab will go to Rigoth, Smallhand's finest hammerer.
I am also pleased to say that our metalsmith did a fantastic job on the statue as well, highlighting how Rigoth made his artifact and reflecting his role as our dispenser of justice. (OOC: I did select the artifact but it just shows up as this. No clue why)

Good thing too since Rigoth was more than a bit angry at his second death and came back as a ghost. Fortunately he was grateful for the statue and departed to Armok's realm in peace. Kib has also come back as a ghost and is um...apparently still reporting for duty as leader of the Swamp hunters. I'm gonna need a strong drink for this. There's no other dwarves in the fortress that know how to shoot a crossbow other than myself and Tun who only immirated earlier this year. I'm certainly too busy being bartender, armourer and Overseer.

So much for repairing the military this late in my reign!

Oh one other thing I noted today. I overheard one of the children tainted by the elf toy, the one who went into a strange mood said she was annoyed with "All these outside creatures and greenery"
There may be hope for her yet. The same cannot be said for Dakost nor Bim, another child that arrived. Those two are going into the zombie crusher. I will designate it as a playroom. The remaining 2 children are playing with a toy hammer and a miniforge respectively. Good little dwarves.

I take no pleasure in this. But we cannot trust the elves haven't done something with you two, and so I have had the remaining "Grown" toys thrown in there too

Its the only way to be sure

---------------------
OOC: short update today

Hard to believe I actually completed several of my objectives for this reign within the span of a month.

Unfortunately, it does appear I will not be able to do the magma works to the top of the tall bar. I had to deconstruct the roof after I learned the material was not magma resistant.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 16, 2020, 02:29:54 pm »

End of an era. Those necromancers have been the driving force behind almost every terrible and interesting event that has happened to Smallhands. I'm almost sad to see them go. Ah well, glory to this victory and to the future!

Unfortunately, it does appear I will not be able to do the magma works to the top of the tall bar. I had to deconstruct the roof after I learned the material was not magma resistant
Constructions (floors, walls, etc.) are completely immune to heat. It could be made of soap and still wouldn't melt.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 16, 2020, 08:13:15 pm »

Good thing too since Rigoth was more than a bit angry at his second death and came back as a ghost. Fortunately he was grateful for the statue and departed to Armok's realm in peace. Kib has also come back as a ghost and is um...apparently still reporting for duty as leader of the Swamp hunters.
Did we have an undead misplace his body again?
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 17, 2020, 05:24:04 am »

End of an era. Those necromancers have been the driving force behind almost every terrible and interesting event that has happened to Smallhands. I'm almost sad to see them go. Ah well, glory to this victory and to the future!

Tbf we had captured or killed several of them already. I'm sure the goblins will make up for it

Good thing too since Rigoth was more than a bit angry at his second death and came back as a ghost. Fortunately he was grateful for the statue and departed to Armok's realm in peace. Kib has also come back as a ghost and is um...apparently still reporting for duty as leader of the Swamp hunters.
Did we have an undead misplace his body again?

Rigoth I'm certain died on the way home, outbonud rigoth had a body and he didnt get struck down at Sinersabres. There's a short line of blood one dwarf made when they arrived back at smallhands.

No clue on Kib though.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 17, 2020, 05:45:11 am »

Kib is probably just keeping up the smallhands tradition. If in a squad, can send on mission then memorialize to perhaps revive? Or break the game even more...
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 109