Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 410793 times)

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - it's like a tiny home but filled with ghouls
« Reply #885 on: January 21, 2021, 04:40:38 am »

good luck delphonso!
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 21, 2021, 05:58:53 am »

You've got this delphonso.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 22, 2021, 07:50:14 am »

61 citizens? Looks like someone will have to put the small back into smallhands...

Got all my preferences reset (custom keybinds and whatnot) - and spent a while taking stock of the fort once more. Should update within a couple days. The baby has decided that mornings are no longer for me - but instead, for her.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 22, 2021, 11:40:58 am »

61 oh dear...looks like we have 61 soldiers to go burn the elves goblins!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 22, 2021, 03:46:56 pm »

Smallhands returns, in a big way.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 23, 2021, 02:46:32 am »

I'm sure all 61 of our citizens will live long lives and not have anything unfortunate happen to them.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 23, 2021, 03:53:27 am »

*looks at my previous runs as overseer* No, certainly we won't lose 20% of them...

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 23, 2021, 06:02:56 am »

61 citizens? Looks like someone will have to put the small back into smallhands...

Got all my preferences reset (custom keybinds and whatnot) - and spent a while taking stock of the fort once more. Should update within a couple days. The baby has decided that mornings are no longer for me - but instead, for her.
Mornings for the morning god!
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 25, 2021, 04:52:22 am »

Quick update - imgur was a punk last night, so I didn't get any screenshots, but some I can remake. About halfway through Spring when the Morning God demanded tribute.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 26, 2021, 09:50:09 am »

=-=Tell Me Of The Elpho=-=
This is a amethyst-bound codex.
The written portion consists of an essay entitled Tell Me Of The Elpho authored by Deler Cogthikut. It concerns the Journal of Kikrost “Elpho” Usthuthdeleth. The writing is scathing and cruel. Overall, the prose is amateurish at best.

-=-=-=-=-

[Excerpt]

As such, I believe it is complete folly to take Kikrost's words at face value, as many in academia have done already. The journals cannot be used for historical reference, if not for the unbearable writing of Elpho, at least for the conflict of interest. Letters between Kikrost and her close friend and fellow poet Mistem Mouthgrooved show that she had the intention of publishing this journal from the start. This casts every word from the category of “recollection” to “motivated”.

Further, as this essay will entail, the dwarves or ghouls of Smallhands do not speak the praises which Kikrost would have us believe of him. Instead, as Rakust Drummedtongs put it, “[Elpho] was an overseer, correct. She served for the year 171. That is about all I recall.” In this, the ghoul Rakust gives us two key details. First, that Elpho did not make a huge impression on Rakust, but more importantly, that Elpho's own statement is not corroborated by those who were present at the time. See, “...which occurred on that auspicious year after my arrival in Smallhands, that year being 169, and these stories being in 170”.

Although the time of arrival matches, the time of overseership does not. Why be so blatant, and what events of 171 does Elpho not want to be associated with? Who is the Elpho, at the end of the day? That is what I set out to find out.

[Excerpt]

171 started off as any normal year would. KingZultan, renowned Necromancer hunter, arrested someone on the 1st of Granite, according to the logs. A frustrated Malfoy recounted in their journal how hard it was to treat the prisoners while they were in their cells. This seems to line up with Elpho's recountings in these lines where she breaks into poetic verse, “Oh Justice, and Strength, are ye the same/Does the scale give the muscle/or the muscle, the scale?/Take heed enemies of Life/Justice and Strength are the same.”

On the topic of justice, auze's journal recalls demanding the elven caravan give up their supplies, supposedly ordered directly from Elpho. The elves corroborate this action, however their records are even less reliable than Elpho's. However, I would posit that it was the lust of all things elven which drove Elpho to claim the caravan – short-sighted as it may have been.

[Excerpt]

Military and Elpho do not get along. One of the first actions as Commander in Chief which Elpho performed was to create a squad of haulers and other manual laborers. She sent them to attack a goblin-occupied elven territory, but sent them effectively unequiped. Among the oddest of choices here was to include everyone named Zutthan to the squad.

Captain Flamegalleys recounts, “It was strange, indeed. We were told that it was an effort to free the retreat so we could hand it over to the elves – some part of the age-long alliance. But I was the one who gave the orders and they were sent out to raid, not to conquer. I never did get that Elpho or how she was thinking.” Even the captain of the military wasn't informed of the motivations. Perhaps Elpho even had greater, more malicious intentions than we know. The extreme oddity being that Zutthan Cultgloves was the arrest which we know KingZultan made earlier that month. Being a prisoner, it remains unclear if they joined the raid or not.

[Excerpt]

Another strange report from the early days of Elpho's was the quest for Shiginbistsest, the famed bauxite hatch cover. Elpho seemingly asked every dwarf in fort for its whereabouts in person. This story was told by many from Smallhands. Seemingly, they took the impression that Elpho might have been working to steal such an artifact, so they all took note of the exceptional interest Elpho had.

[Excerpt]

And then, Elpho encountered her first real challenge as an overseer.

-=-=-=-=-=-

OOC:
Seriously, anybody know where that hatch cover went?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 27, 2021, 05:34:54 am »

"I don't recognise that hatch cover" She said as she flipped through her old journals.
"Was it one we installed? It could have got caught in a pile that was atom smashed. Artifacts just get shunted into a demiplane if that happens" To this, Elpho was reported as sighing
"My official tavern keeper advice: Check the artifacts tab on the world display scrolls." Recon*1 continued.
She then handed over a tankard of Overseer's Motivator*2 to Elpho.
"But as a fellow dwarf: I could also see one of those idiot hauliers accidentally selling or stealing it. Best to find out where it was last first then send Zully*3 after them"

*Footnote 1 Recon was a particularly infamous Overseer of Smallhands who also worked as the Tavern Keeper and Election official. She was known for her egotistical ambitions, but was perceptive and worse: skilled at paperwork- a frightening combination

*Footnote 2 Overseer's Motivator is an potent booze specifically designed to get the recipient drunk and mentally focused. Naturally exclusive to Overseers and royalty within the dwarven kingdom, though it is known that Tavern Keepers occasionally partook of their own stock to ensure quality resulting in many famous Keepers of the Taps

Footnote 3 Zully was KingZultan

>From the excerpts of Tell me of the Elpho

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 27, 2021, 06:34:15 am »

Send me after whoever last had the artifact and I'll kick their ass until they reveal it's location!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 28, 2021, 07:00:05 pm »

Still cannot find the hatch... I'll keep looking, as it may have been installed somewhere.

Also unless anyone objects, I'm going to update to the new version of DF. Just some bug fixes that should make our fort dwellers even happier.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 29, 2021, 05:55:51 am »

Damn, that update is fantastic assuming it all functions as intended. Perfect for this fort in particular

"Makes dwarves cave adaptation effects less frequent" - excellent! When I get time for another turn, I can continue the magma pipe up the outside of the Tall Bar without flooding the surface with vomit (granted that was atypical of a dwarf fort)

"Make people get used to seeing dead bodies" - I should think so given small hands at a few points in time had more undead than alive

"Make valuable meal satisfy in addition to preferences" - Return of the dwarven special: the *3 rum roast* (made up of 3 bottles of dwarven rum, one is frozen and put in the second and heated, with the third being the drink)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 29, 2021, 09:54:36 am »

Short update because, well, my internet is shitting itself so uploading images has been a challenge. For example:

-=-=-=-=-=-

Tell Me Of The Elpho
This is a amethyst-bound codex.
The written portion consists of an essay entitled Tell Me Of The Elpho authored by Deler Cogthikut. It concerns the Journal of Kikrost “Elpho” Usthuthdeleth. The writing is scathing and cruel. Overall, the prose is amateurish at best.

[Excerpt]

I will have you know, dear reader, that it was just the very end of Spring when the foul beast arrived, menacing in the night and lusting for blood. The swine-man, the werepig, the hog of the night it rushed poor Vucar without warning or any sign of decency in its core. But no, the stout and stable stock of Smallhands are not so simply squashed! Vucar was aided immediately by the Swamp Hunters, who slew the beast without giving it a chance to place its venomous tusks where it so lusted; the flesh of the finest dwarves the realm has ever seen! Let me elucidate the tale for you, dear reader...

The scene which Elpho paints is one of simple victory. However, the words, “the very end of Spring” struck me as odd, as we all know that the full moon falls on the 21st of Felsite, hardly “the very end”. This could be (and often has been) chalked up to Elpho's grandiose style of writing, and merely fantasy. Still, I believed it deserved closer examination, so in a few interviews I asked the residents of Smallhands from the time what they recalled.

Reg, a being consisting purely of bees and who at one point was the overseer of the fortress, had this to say, “The hive [Smallhands] has two invaders in Spring. As is your dwarven tradition, both were killed.” It seems that our friend Elpho left out quite a bit to his story. Journals from the days note what happened in greater detail. A member of the military, Domas Subilast recounts the details of the first “invader”.

Domas's account suggests that Vucar was taken unawares “right at the front gates.” Orders went out to put everyone in a burrow – an outdated form of safe-room that many fortresses of the age still held on to. The Siegebreakers were sent to deal with the Werebeast. Her journal reads, “the Ghouls were all training right near the gates, so I knew they'd be there soon to support. I just happened to be hauling some cloth nearby when I heard Vucar shouting. It was a thrill, though I'm sorry to see Captain go.” The plot thickens as we see the first mention of a death which Elpho failed to inform us of. Captain Keshandegel was the head of the Siegebreakers, a Smallhandsian militia. According to Imic's report, he didn't stand a chance of survival.

Domas's military report explains what happened in detail. It seems that the werepig ripped into Vucar immediately, then was distracted by Domas's brave actions. Captain Keshandegel came to support, but was immediately struck with a fatal blow. Both dwarves were brave until the very end.

Domas struck a killing blow to the werepig, but Vucar's lifeblood was pouring out on the black sand. Domas's journal continues, “I saw Imic and Reg rush up and grab Vucar. I didn't know if he'd make it or not, but there was work to be done and I couldn't keep focusing on that.” Here, the plot gets difficult to follow. Vucar, I would suggest, almost certainly was infected by the werepig curse, though why wasn't his death reported? Why are there no records of him?

Many in the Smallhands military have no notes in their journals or anything in the official reports which would illuminate this event for us further. Though, as many of the military were ghouls, several unable to speak, this was not an infrequent error in the recordkeeping of the fortress. Was there some greater purpose to keeping this a secret?

Perhaps we can be illuminated by what Elpho does focus on. Seemingly as a distraction, he goes into a 17 page description of a golden barrel, made by the same Domas not a day later. As unbelievable as this is, all signs suggest it is correct.

Elpho finishes the Spring section with a short explanation of the conquering of Stonesnarls; “Nay, not even the elven elite eliminate their entry into the enlightened enticement that is dwarven society, for at the end of Spring in 170, those fine long-eared fellows at Stonesnarls asked to join our civilization! What could a humble overseer do but to acquiesce and, for the betterment of all dwarves, have the sylvan scholars join us.”

It should be noted that in 171, Stonesnarls was occupied by goblins, who were killed by a Smallhandsian militia and the site was conquered.

Elpho changes topics so quickly, perhaps to distract the audience from deeper analysis of the werepig events. Was this Elpho's greatest crime and the whole reason for obfuscation?

-=-=-=-=-=-

OOC:

My heart. I can't take the anxiety of watching a werepig wander the halls of the fort completely free.
I tried to wall Vucar in, but the instant the last wall went up, Imic AND Reg jumped in to start treating Vucar's wounds. Not willing to lose two named characters, I re-opened the wall in the hopes to patch it back up but then Vucar could walk, and boy did he. Down 5 levels for a cup, then up to the Tall Bar to drink, then all the way down to the caverns to "pick up equipment" which I hadn't assigned him. In the long run, this was beneficial since he changed in the caverns and only encountered military on the way up.

the *3 rum roast*

Oh, you mean vacation breakfast.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 06:29:21 am by delphonso »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 109