Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402557 times)

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - it's like a tiny home but filled with ghouls
« Reply #900 on: January 29, 2021, 11:43:56 am »

out of curiosity (the update having renewed my interest in DF) I flipped through the legends and the current save

The Tavern Keepers Dungeon Master report 171

The missing hatch cover? its here on the floor with the arena, Z -17 one square NW of my X in this sketching (OOC, this was after unretiring)

I have been going over some records found within the Overseers office and crossing it with testimony from merchants and visitors
-since 163, the dwarven population has grown by 200~
-goblins, in the last 2 years managed to wear down and conquer staffhoisted. Dwarven reslience has kept their numbers around the same at 9300
-kobold population has halved in 10 years. The goblins are murdering them like buggery according to travellers in the Tall Bar
-the elven population thankfully was reduced to double digits in the year 165 when the goblins bulldozed their way through all their settlements. unfortunately they have since built back up to approximately 110-130 members across all civilisations.

The trio of dwarven settlements are under goblin control, including I'm frustrated to say, the mountainhomes of Doorended once again. That said the dwarves of Wealthymirrored (our red site next to the trio of green gobbos) are putting up one hell of a fight.
Admittedly this isn't the first time we lost the mountainhomes as it was destroyed by a Titan back in the days of yore

The elves aren't in good shape, cowering behind the dwarves. The humans are SW of the dwarven chain on the coast

One last piece of intelligence I was able to uncover. Records from time are scarce but this was shocking:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: January 31, 2021, 09:01:54 am »

Tell Me Of The Elpho
This is a amethyst-bound codex.
The written portion consists of an essay entitled Tell Me Of The Elpho authored by Deler Cogthikut. It concerns the Journal of Kikrost “Elpho” Usthuthdeleth. The writing is scathing and cruel. Overall, the prose is amateurish at best.

[Excerpt]

KingZultan explained, “We installed the hatch directly above ol' Buqui. You see, that thing had been under the fortress for decades and well, we just never knew what to do about it. At least now we could toss stuff down into it and watch Buqui burn it all up.” In normal Smallhandsian style, KingZultan states this with a quiet confidence that shows a complete lack of self-examination. Smallhands began using forgotten beasts as a mixture of garbage disposal, torture, and entertainment.

I would like to attribute this horrendous act to Elpho and Elpho alone, but it seems this was one of the more popular decisions he made. Perhaps the years of war had made the Smallhands dwarves colder than the rest of us, or perhaps it was something to do with the famous “Smallhands Steam” virus which affected so many of them. In any case, an artifact was installed above the caverns allowing safe “pitting” of unwilling sentients into the waiting jaws of a foul forgotten creature.

[Excerpt]

What is a fortress without a library? One may ask, what is a dwarf without a beard? What is a bee without pollen? What is life without wine and a good poem? It was I who first brought a library to Smallhands, though it was an uneasy proposition. Those sun-shy folk had grown used to their dull lives until I stepped in. Why, the fellows had a hundred books or even more just sitting around! And never had they thought to start reading them. And here, once again, those brilliant Smallhands dwellers give us a lesson to life. Be aware of that which is around you and use it to its fullest capacity! Who knows, you may be resting upon the world's greatest library!

All records suggest Smallhands already had a library – built by Overseer Mateusz. Kosoth Channeltrammels recalls working on new orders for tables and chairs at that time, though, marking a number of masterworks which he created. The furniture seemed to have been sent to Mateusz's library, The Treasury of Scholars. Interestingly, other furniture was set up in some of the several temples and shrines at this time as well, according to Salmeuk's managerial notes. This is note-worthy only in that Elpho never takes credit for it. The rest of the story of the library seems completely fabricated. Several well-known and published scholars were already associated with Smallhands. This blatant falsehood should have been enough to discredit Elpho from academic studies long ago.

[Excerpt]

All of this from Mateusz's journal then soundly proves Elpho's lie about the library. It seems the two did not get along, perhaps on a personal level or perhaps on an academic one. We could take Elpho's fib as a jab at Mateusz, if we really wanted to, as Mateusz would have certainly read Elpho's journal upon publication, if not before. Other sections of Mateusz' journal from 171 make notes of Elpho's movements and actions around the fortress.

This resource has been immensely helpful in piecing together the real story here. But a mystery lies in mid-summer, some actions involving dead bodies and a series of levers in the southern portion of the middle-fortress. Mateusz notes lots of whispers and behind-closed-doors orders. Ultimately, this mystery may forever remain unsolved, as no other records of the event survives.

-=-=-=-=-=-

OOC:
I wanted to commit warcrimes by raising a werebeast as a sentient undead and seeing what would happen, but they were both mangled so BOOOO.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also, I found the hatch. It was on the top of the Necromancer's Tower - I have re-sealed the structure without the hatch and it should be 100% secure. The hatch is almost directly above Buqui and does nothing right now except allow easy dropping of caged creatures into the caverns. Perhaps some goblins or zombies could take it out with enough time.
I found the hatch by giving it a zoom-hotkey through the [L] artifacts menu, which is something I didn't realize you could do.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 06:30:21 am by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: February 01, 2021, 06:10:42 am »

Damned things working against our trying to commit warcrimes!
*shakes fist*
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: February 02, 2021, 05:02:56 am »

I'm guilty for the artifact hatch on top of the Tower. I recall putting it there to prevent any flyer pathing in the fortress from the Tower.

Youknowhat ? Put me on the turn list ! Time to give this tiny fort another go !

EDIT : Just checked the date. This thread is 1 year and 1 day old. HUZZA !!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 05:05:12 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: February 02, 2021, 05:42:55 am »

happy earth strike day smallhands! btw delphonso, love this style of writing

in game monument?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 05:45:29 am by recon1o6 »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: February 02, 2021, 06:24:18 am »

I'm going to update the OP and potentially play a turn and update tonight, if my daughter will allow me the privilege.

Is anyone else having horrendous problems with Imgur? I haven't been able to even access my albums this whole turn...

Youknowhat ? Put me on the turn list ! Time to give this tiny fort another go !

EDIT : Just checked the date. This thread is 1 year and 1 day old. HUZZA !!

Welcome back, dear fellow!

Long live Smallhands!

happy earth strike day smallhands! btw delphonso, love this style of writing

Thanks, it's been a fun style to play with - allowing me to be both direct and also flamboyant. Elpho might actually return as an overseer if they don't die...unlike all the other overseers I've had.

in game monument?

For the year? Hmm... I'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 06:31:02 am by delphonso »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: February 03, 2021, 09:40:56 am »

Tell Me Of The Elpho
This is a amethyst-bound codex.
The written portion consists of an essay entitled Tell Me Of The Elpho authored by Deler Cogthikut. It concerns the Journal of Kikrost “Elpho” Usthuthdeleth. The writing is scathing and cruel. Overall, the prose is amateurish at best.

[Excerpt]

The passages which cover the latter half of the Autumn of 170 (recall, this would reflect 171 in reality) and Winter list Elpho personally accomplishing over 100 tasks, many of which would require several days to complete. Needless to say, certainly most of this did not occur. Elpho's account of personally drowning a goblin in the Tall Bar is not only ridiculous, but also impossible, as the magma on the top of it - world-renowned for pouring on goblins - wasn't completed until after 175. So why is it, exactly, that Elpho made up so many events? Was it to cover something more sinister that he was performing? Perhaps it was to distract us from the horrid details of some dastardly accomplishment he is liable for!

[Excerpt]

An interesting account of the happenings of Smallhands in 171 comes to us from Mestthos Morulurol, the Outpost Liaison at the time. He was known to have caught the Smallhands Steam in one of his many trips there. Other than that, Mestthos was something of a known lout when it came to his job. The travelling seemed to be enough for him, as he failed to do several of the record keeping responsibilities of his position. Which makes this occasion in Autumn of 171 all the more important that he saw fit to write it down. I will remind the reader that one of the symptoms of the Smallhands Steam is hallucinations, so we unfortunately must take Mestthos' words with a significant grain of salt. His journal reads,

...then, I swear by Ervetek, the walls themselves started to speak to me. As if being scratched into them – like some sort of tall sheep was doing it with its wool – the limestone walls revealed a message to me “I'm still here.” It scared me halfway too deep, and I moved to Salmeuk's office right quick. I saw a message there too, already on the wall this time, but looked new and I felt...cold.
It said, “Cozy, thanks to the central heating.”

This, if Mestthos can be trusted, can only mean one thing. The legendary ghoul Nogood's ghost was still haunting Smallhands! Wake up, people! “I'm still here”? Who else but the ever-dying overseer would say something like that? “Central heating”? Surely a reference to his magmatic tomb! And Elpho had something to do with it!

-=-=-=-=-=-

Journal of Kikrost "Elpho" Ustuthdeleth, Elf-lover
written in 198, Spring

[Excerpt]

I was informed, much to my merriment, that it was on the day after I smote that villainous goblin, that dear petite Smallhands had reached the anniversary of its first migrant wave, a wonderous 20 years it had been for the fortress. I did what any good overseer would do and created a grand and magnanimous temple unlike any that had been seen in Smallhands, nay, dear reader, I suggest better than any seen on this world or any other.

[Excerpt]

And with that and after the parade through the halls, after shaking every fine dwarf's hand and kissing every baby, I entered the Tall Bar for the last time. I sat down on a golden stool and raised a glass of Recon's finest wine. With that, dear reader, I ended my tenure as overseer, and I think I left the place a bit better than it started, if I do say so myself.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Post script

Things got unfortunately a bit boring for the latter half of my turn - I spent some time trying to clean up the fort. I geared up for another raid but didn't send it as the troops didn't seem well-trained enough to just mercilessly meat-grind like that.

The biggest accomplishment was re-organizing the military and their training grounds. The Swamp Hunters have been moved to a large range near the indoor swamp.

[Pictured: Swamp Hunter firing bolts over the heads of engravers who are smoothing the place out]

A new squad named "The Vile Goo" have taken the old Swamp Hunter barracks. The Vile Goo are all the unnamed non-essential dwarves in the fort, basically. Some of them have the fever, so they may be more of an "emergency force" only or for raids. Oh and one dwarf is stuck in the Elf Touchers -shrug-

Also, these two tickled me but I couldn't find a way to drop them in my report.

The file can be found here! Castimier, it's your turn!

Spoiler: Deler Cogthikut (click to show/hide)

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: February 03, 2021, 05:26:24 pm »

Well that was a decent, if quiet turn. Also, congratulations on getting the fort nominated for Hall of Legends, now to see if it will get voted in.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: February 04, 2021, 01:50:48 am »

I’ve loved your updates, delphonso! ‘The writing is cruel and scathing; overall, the prose is amateurish at best’.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: February 04, 2021, 07:47:55 am »

I wonder how many pictures of dwarves dying we'd get if we started engraving all the walls?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: February 04, 2021, 06:55:31 pm »

I did a bit of engraving and mostly dwarves just carved all the times people were appointed and removed from noble positions. Or, hilariously, carved images of smooth stones.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: February 04, 2021, 07:20:21 pm »

thats something i wish we could do- engrave constructed walls and floors

I'll have to make do with being the halls of the dead...assuming nobody else has messed it all up like my emergency stockpiles

such is life in a succession game. I was expecting my tower to get torn down for someone else's megaproject by now

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: February 04, 2021, 10:49:32 pm »

I'm late, but happy thread birthday! It took a year to push out 21 posts, just under 2 a month. .   and I think that's pretty fast honestly. Smallhands surprised me from the start, with a mysterious goo and immediate, highly dangerous sieges. Followed by infinite-echidna battles and strange ghoul occurrences I STILL don't fully understand.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Y'all have brought more life to this fortress than I ever could have imagined, and it's been a pleasure to read!

Del these updates felt. . like a proper tone for the age of the fortress, you know? Reflective, reserved, and laden with historical notes. Nice to read, perhaps even . . cozy?

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: February 05, 2021, 01:11:02 pm »

Anyways, any confirmation from Castimier that he/she has begun their turn?
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: February 06, 2021, 09:49:48 am »

One whole year, Woo! I'm super busy right now, but I'm glad you guys are keeping it alive.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 109