Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402546 times)

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - it's like a tiny home but filled with ghouls
« Reply #1035 on: May 13, 2021, 07:46:36 am »

its a masterwork sock! how dare you suggest it get dumped, you are a dwarf are you not?
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Radiofort

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: May 13, 2021, 08:55:40 am »

That's about a 28,000 stress drop during the revivication process. That will certainly help, but for someone like Solon who is going to die with stress up near 100,000, it's unlikely to be enough to save him. I'll try to do it anyway, though.
Maybe multiple reanimations would cut more chunks off his stress level. You can try to kill and bring him back for a couple of times, as we also have a little cute sacrifise room with upward spikes near the reanimation chamber (though I don't remember where it's operated from). Of course, there's still a risk of irresurectable body damage, but, after all, this is for !!SCIENCE!!
Also, has anyone else noticed that Radiofort is just... obscenely happy? That liquid brain of his is doing him wonders in the stress department. Dwarf Therapist says he has a Stress Vulnerability trait of zero.
He's just Russian, that's all.
There is never enough of green glass.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: May 13, 2021, 11:48:20 am »

Are we heading towards a full ghoul fortress ?

I guess dwarves will soon have to choose between keeping their feverish pain and turning mindless..

It's time to choose sides then !
Let's do politics !  ;D

"I, Spriggans the sparkly, from my mighty tower, for reasons I'd rather not share, I choose the dwarven path !!
Dwarves ! Dont drown. Dont let it happen ! Having emotions is important. It is what defines you !
I can control you so more easily with your emotions. *niark niark* Ahem !
Dont become mindless war machines ! Dont choose the dark side ! Stay fleshy and miserable !"

"Well, I hope they heard me through the glass window...
Maybe I should try and break it after all this time...
Nah, I'll just go back to counting cobwebs !
... 152 .... 153"
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 12:06:56 pm by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: May 13, 2021, 05:37:05 pm »

All OOC:

its a masterwork sock! how dare you suggest it get dumped, you are a dwarf are you not?
Socks are the enemy.

No, seriously, I genuinely don't understand what the hell is wrong with these dwarves clothing assignments. They seem more than happy to drop perfectly good, unworn clothes on the floor for no reason. There's a ton of hauling in this fortress caused by dwarves dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease.

Also, I noticed that every couple of in-game days 5-10 things get marked for melting by DFHack. It's possible that's related. Maybe they're trying to melt their own armour?

I'm worried that if I do implement my much-touted "burn all the shitty goblin clothes" policy the daft buggers are just going to destroy all our masterworks by picking them out of the fresh clothes stockpile, immediately dropping them on the ground, and then carting them off to the incinerator.

Maybe multiple reanimations would cut more chunks off his stress level. You can try to kill and bring him back for a couple of times, as we also have a little cute sacrifise room with upward spikes near the reanimation chamber (though I don't remember where it's operated from). Of course, there's still a risk of irresurectable body damage, but, after all, this is for !!SCIENCE!!

That's possible, but this means they need to survive two ghoulifications (which are extremely fiddly to manipulate) and a stabbing.

Are we heading towards a full ghoul fortress ?

That was my original idea, but unfortunately the wiki says Intelligent Undead can't increase their skills, so ghouling any civilian who isn't already legendary in at least one skill would be a problem. Ghouls also end up permanently distracted by unmet needs, which may actually be quite a bit worse than the fever for productivity.

They are hardy, though. And terrifying. A squadron of of legendary ghoullords would make the Seduction of Goo think twice, I'm sure.

But I think it's main use is saving nervous wrecks from themselves. They might just end up being a refuse hauler afterwards, but it's more entertaining than exiling them.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: May 13, 2021, 07:42:30 pm »

We've done some necro !!science!! here in smallhands before. Lets educate the lich queen as she styled herself

We have where possible dwarves on military replace clothing. This is because over clothing causes the twits to not wear their armour, since a lot of the population is in the military at different schedules...yeah. Idiocy happens, but that's bureacracy for you

a civvy thats stressed but not fevered can definately be recovered given ample destressing and training in a craft that makes masterworks. My dwarf and kingzultan before death made a shit ton of masterwork clothing and in my case masterful dyeing. In the case of zultan, I can confirm it destressed her gradually
In the case of fevered well we had one case that I'm aware of: Auze too somehow made a decent recovery over my 2nd term even with the fever. When in jail he ended up admiring a lot of furniture and was accepting of the beating.

weirdly a lot of the fortress was fine till goblins started dying inside instead of outside. Luckily this is 47.05 not 04 and so it should be recoverable as long as the miasma isn't too strenuous

We've had an all ghoul military before. Though their toughness was good, the lack of skill and difficulty in repairing the wounds they took made them get replaced by healthier dwarves that were expendable, unlucky or stressed. Or an organised group of overseers and guards that got drafted by mistake

Ghouls can fulfill one need- getting inebriated. They have to go to the tavern and if Recon is there, as tavern master she can help them drink. Somehow she hasn't poisoned any dwarves yet. Being undead doesnt stop them performing either.

Some ghouls need time before their brain is rewired enough to ask for citizenship, others are available immediately. Those that don't have their work orders fixed until they do become citizens.

this wouldn't be the first time smallhands considered ghoulifying the fort. Probably not the last either.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 07:52:57 pm by recon1o6 »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: May 13, 2021, 08:19:59 pm »

We've done some necro !!science!! here in smallhands before. Lets educate the lich queen as she styled herself
Yeah, I got about half/two-thirds of the way thruogh the thread before my turn came up, so I don't know all the knowables. In my defense, it's a looong thread. And also my dwarf's been imprisoned in Dimplesteal for the last 10 years for some reason. [glares daggers at Recon's dwarf]

Honestly, I should have made more out of Dastot's relationship with Recon, since the latter both condemned and rescued her. In my mind they're total frenemies.

We have where possible dwarves on military replace clothing. This is because over clothing causes the twits to not wear their armour, since a lot of the population is in the military at different schedules...yeah. Idiocy happens, but that's bureacracy for you
So... they're dropping their non-armor clothing when they switch from inactive to active, and putting it back on when they go back to inactive? That would explain what I'm seeing, but I thought even inactive dwarves obeyed the armour and equipment orders.

I might be able to solve this. If I set them all back to "over-clothing", dump every piece of clothing in the fortress that isn't on my "compatible with armour" list (those being hood, dress, cloak, shirt, trouser, glove and sock), only produce those items in the fortress, and finally have everyone incinerate loose clothing items to prevent them from being equipped, will that stop the strip cycle?

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: May 13, 2021, 11:01:45 pm »

Well, time for Auze to dodge death/ghoulification. Again.

Couldn't be more proud of that alcoholic broker that is my dwarf.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 09:37:12 am by auzewasright »
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: May 13, 2021, 11:20:53 pm »

I nominated this fort for the hall of legends, but now for the ultimate: I would like a dwarf. Preferably one that like a lot of types of plant, and doesn't absolutely detest nature. (and isn't in line for ghoulification) I my someday sign up to run the place, but not yet.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: May 13, 2021, 11:22:08 pm »

Look, Smallhands has two modes: stripping and drowning. You pick one and stick with it.

Perhaps any martial masters could join the ghoulish ranks, as their dodging and shield skills should prevent injuries which lead to the year long hospital rest. The unlimited endurance should help. Does focus/unmet needs effect combat or just work?

fatcat is well deserving of a proper dwarf.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: May 14, 2021, 02:51:34 am »

I nominated this fort for the hall of legends, but now for the ultimate: I would like a dwarf. Preferably one that like a lot of types of plant, and doesn't absolutely detest nature. (and isn't in line for ghoulification)
Alrighty then. :) Looks like the dwarf who enjoys nature the most (after being nauseated by the sun in 171) is... [drumroll please]...

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: May 14, 2021, 03:57:33 am »

my dwarf's been imprisoned in Dimplesteal for the last 10 years for some reason. [glares daggers at Recon's dwarf]

Honestly, I should have made more out of Dastot's relationship with Recon, since the latter both condemned and rescued her. In my mind they're total frenemies.

x3 I was expecting Dastot to have some crazy backstabbing punishment plot ready for Recon but I guess that works

Recon's personality traits are a combo of "Deeply respects those who work hard, master a skill or fight" but unfortunately in this regard Dastot was none of these things, stressed to the tune of 48000, was tantruming constantly including breaking the very things designed to destress her and consequently fell afoul of Recon's last personality trait

"She tries to act impartially and is rarely moved to mercy"

I mean, Dastot didn't even manage to have an honourable death fighting goblins or stealing their artifacts!

I might be able to solve this. If I set them all back to "over-clothing", dump every piece of clothing in the fortress that isn't on my "compatible with armour" list (those being hood, dress, cloak, shirt, trouser, glove and sock), only produce those items in the fortress, and finally have everyone incinerate loose clothing items to prevent them from being equipped, will that stop the strip cycle?

I advise checking the military schedule as well. Over clothing and set so they drop armour when not on duty is probably the other culprit (due to a lack of quality armour smiths. I checked the save at the start of your turn, i think our best is a level 5 smith out of 15 which is legendary

cloaks are also some of our uniforms

finally, kosoth is still alive?! there's no dwarf more deserving of fatcat's name. Both of them have done the fort proud

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: May 14, 2021, 04:24:36 am »

Solon's rage has ended. Goodbye, old friend.

And hello new friend! Somebody get his butt to the ghoulification chamber!

Kyaahahahah! It works! It really works!

This power, this control that Kol has, to rip the soul back from the aether and deny Death himself his due! It's horrifying, the cause of so much suffering in Smallhands, and yet... if I had this power, what could I achieve with it? HAHAHAHAHAH! Forget ruling Smallhands, I could conquer Dimplesteal! Defeat Ikud herself! And after that I could...

... I could... what... what is...

... there's... two of them, they're...

... whispering...

... [blink] [blink] ...

... what was I saying?

Oh right, Solon! I remember now. When he was alive, Solon's stress was unimaginable, a burden too great even for a ghoul to bear. Will the therapy work? A berserk ghoul is not a threat to take lightly. I know personally how hardy a ghoul's body can be.

... it appears I worried for nothing. One look into his blank eyes confirmed it: whatever part of Solon's soul bore that terrible burden, it was severed during death.

Kol is getting good at this!

Next up, our final mental illness patient: 'Elpho', the elf-lover! Heeheehee...

OOC: Okay, quick poll! Should I ghoul Elpho now or try and recover her? Stress is at 39,000, 'Haggard', her stress propensity is pretty dang bad, and I reckon one more stay in prison would probably do her in. As the only stressed dwarf left in the fortress, 'fixing' her now would solve stress for a while (at least until some other dwarf changes their values due to all the miasma I've been creating everywhere and becomes a nervous wreck).

... but she dreams of creating a great work of art and is badly distracted after being unable practice a craft. She has zero skills of any type other than social, so she's never had a chance to address this. Giving her her own workshop might very well be her last hope...

So! To ghoul or not to ghoul? That is the question.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: May 14, 2021, 04:28:40 am »

39000 is below previous cases we have salvaged. Get that tree hugger on a workshop and doing something more productive than disguising his academic achievements!

At least, that's my take. Its dellphonso's dorf

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: May 14, 2021, 04:40:13 am »

Recon's personality traits are a combo of "Deeply respects those who work hard, master a skill or fight" but unfortunately in this regard Dastot was none of these things, stressed to the tune of 48000, was tantruming constantly including breaking the very things designed to destress her and consequently fell afoul of Recon's last personality trait

"She tries to act impartially and is rarely moved to mercy"
Conclusion: the two of them totally had a Starsky and Hutch thing going on.

Recon was the strict, disciplined and rigid one with a massive stick up her ass, and Dastot was the joker, the smoker, the midnight toker (what with the thrill-seeking and humorous tendencies) and probably expected mercy on account of being merciful herself.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:51:04 am by QuQuasar »

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: May 14, 2021, 05:22:19 pm »

i come back to this thread after a while and not only discover updates but my dorf saved the day!
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 109