Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402536 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - it's like a tiny home but filled with ghouls
« Reply #1215 on: September 14, 2021, 12:39:01 am »

Ah, right. Well - toxic fumes are procgenned right? So it'd be a card pull between certain death and mild symptoms.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: September 14, 2021, 04:21:13 am »

The way I dealt with a fb with fumes is crossbows over a trench the enemy cant cross

also, a small trick from one overseer to another. By smoothing the walls of adamantine, you can identify some that are safe and which would dig into hell depending on your tileset

If the smoothed wall connects to the rock thats not visible it should be safe unless its the topmost bit of adamantine if your tileset shows that
if it doesn't connect to anything then its the hfs

if your tileset doesnt do this, then you need to carve fortifications onto the adamantine
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 04:55:32 am by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: September 14, 2021, 08:46:23 am »

As for the cleaning of the goo from the swamp's ground, there is a neat truck : you can put any building down (eg workshop). Remove it immediatly after and the goo (and blood/vomit/...) should be gone.
Assuming you have enough wood to roof it beforehand that is...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:47:59 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: September 15, 2021, 12:59:08 am »

The way I dealt with a fb with fumes is crossbows over a trench the enemy cant cross

also, a small trick from one overseer to another. By smoothing the walls of adamantine, you can identify some that are safe and which would dig into hell depending on your tileset

If the smoothed wall connects to the rock thats not visible it should be safe unless its the topmost bit of adamantine if your tileset shows that
if it doesn't connect to anything then its the hfs

if your tileset doesnt do this, then you need to carve fortifications onto the adamantine
Oh damn. Those adamantine tricks are clever. I’d never thought about either tileset-smoothing semi-abuse or using fortifications.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: September 16, 2021, 11:13:02 pm »

Overseer's Log, Year 178.

Entry 3:
Another season has nearly passed since I last wrote here, and the nights are cold on the surface. Very few events of note have occurred. The second storey of the tower is partially complete, and the foundation for the glass roof over the swamp are nearly complete.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The only notable event was the arrival of the dwarven caravan. The traders brought much more than the elves and humans combined. auze and I sorted through their goods, and bought a vast volume. Someone must have requested large quantities of leather, because the traders brought a bin of each type that the Mountainhome has available. They also offered a list of goods they believed would be most valuable next year.

I have just received the report that someone spotted a werepig outside. I pity it. I will order the military to cut it to pieces. I only hope they reach it before it catches one of the builders.

ooc:Why do I always have to deal with werebeasts? :( The Siege Breakers should put this one down pretty quickly, at least.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: September 17, 2021, 01:18:27 pm »

I swear, every time we get a trade export request, it looks more and more like the mountainhomes is preparing to run

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: September 21, 2021, 08:53:57 am »

I swear, every time we get a trade export request, it looks more and more like the mountainhomes is preparing to run

With the request for toys, it looks like a preteen planning to runaway from home. Take drinks to mean a few sodas and you're there!

Thanks for the update fatcat. How's Smallhands doing these days?

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: September 21, 2021, 09:36:18 pm »

Doing well, if moving slowly. I'll try finish up my turn tomorrow, and post a final update then or the following day.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: September 22, 2021, 08:45:15 pm »

Huh. Dang, this looks awesome! I'd want to take a turn, but I've got other stuff I'm doing, sadly.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: September 22, 2021, 09:45:57 pm »

You're welcome to, as is anyone else. I think StrikaAmaru mentioned it some time ago - but Smallhands, thanks to its petite nature, is pretty easy to drop into and play, compared to bigger, more complex forts.

Looking forward to the update, fatcat.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - slowly running out of ghouls
« Reply #1225 on: September 23, 2021, 08:58:41 pm »

Overseer's Log, Year 178.

Entry 4:
Today marks the end of my stint as overseer. The grey skies from the north are starting to give way to the desert sun, and through the clouds in the swamp, I can see green showing on the trees, marking the beginning of spring. I fear I have accomplished very little this past year, but at least life has been mostly peaceful.

The one exception to this was the werepig attack. When it arrived, Salmeuk and Mateusz were on the second floor of the Bright Temple. Salmeuk wisely retreated into the fortress, leaving the Siege Breakers to deal with the problem. Unfortunately, Mateusz decided to be a hero, climbed down to meet the monster, and was promptly dismembered. Shortly thereafter, Blurian repeated the performance on the pig. He even bit the beast, in his words, "To see if it tasted like pork."

Mateusz was clearly bitten multiple times, and was deemed too dangerous to be resurrected. Thankfully, the loss of one member of the fortress was rectified by the addition of a new one.
With the state of the world, a birth is some truly good news.

Progress on my projects was sparse. From the advent of the plan to roof the swamp, construction of the Bright Temple essentially ceased. The second floor remains incomplete and unwalled, leaving an open path into the fortress. It was allowed to remain this way to speed up the work on the glass roof. The roof actually began to take form in the last month or two, as the flat panes beyond the tower, and the sloped glass up to the main roof both received a minor amount of work.
The last of my large projects has also received less attention than its importance warrants. The adamantine spire has only been partially explored on on one level, and found on another. The workshops to process it have not even been constructed, although a space for them has been cleared around the spire.

The only other event of importance was the apparent possession of a Planter.

I ordered the less valuable gems locked away, and he obligingly took the star sapphire and star ruby for his work. In the end, he produced a wonderful platinum cap. It is a true testament of dwarven skill.

ooc:I didn't end up breaching the second cavern layer. I'll let someone with better skill at marksdwarf control take out the gassy beast down there.

If the next person wants to continue work on the swamp greenhouse, the general layout should be fairly clear. Beyond where walls can be built there will be flat floor, while inside there, the roof will go up another level to clear the top of the tower. For the ambitious overseer, it might be wiser to suspend construction if it, close the swamp back up, and let the rest of the dwarves out of the indoors burrow, which I slightly updated.

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15680
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 09:37:48 pm by fatcat__25 »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: September 23, 2021, 09:41:50 pm »

Nice turn, fatcat. I'm eager to open the save and see how everything is going in the swamp - hard to make it out with screenshots for a 3D project.

Sorry to hear Mateusz didn't make it - he's been in Smallhands for quite a long time and is one of the rare named dwarf deaths that I can recall. Surely this calls for a memorial statue garden made of adamantine.

This leaves us with a bit of a predicament, actually. The turn order is empty! I think for the first time! I won't be taking a turn until after Spookyfort wraps up on Halloween, but if anyone else wants to jump in, they're more than welcome to.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: September 24, 2021, 04:27:10 am »

Might take a quick turn Monday depending on how work/baby go.
This is a big "might" though, and if I do, I'd clean up the mess in the fortress.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: September 26, 2021, 09:40:54 am »

I'm gonna boot up some legends mode and hopefully learn some adventure mode. I am very curious on the state of affairs.

Here comes some information from Kadol Tirisdil. Axedwarf of puzzlepaints.
Our demon in the east is in his own underworld spire.
the goblin settlement to the south is a maze of trenches and one tower with about 15 goblins in. Every last one was struck down by my adventurer. Though one goblin did fight back and break an arm, Kadol simply kicked his head into paste.
Kadol also discovered while interrogating another goblin that Ikud, the blind demon to the east...is actually a female demon. huh.

Salmeuk is also famous even amongst goblins for being a killer and duke of stonesnarls

Smallhands 's traps are really good. As in they utterly crushed my poor dwarf and he died while i was trying to figure out how to sleep
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 11:35:59 am by recon1o6 »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: September 26, 2021, 08:46:23 pm »

Smallhands 's traps are really good. As in they utterly crushed my poor dwarf and he died while i was trying to figure out how to sleep

This is just the most "Adventure Mode" thing in existence...

Cool to hear Salmeuk has reached international fame.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 109