Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402529 times)

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - slowly running out of ghouls
« Reply #1260 on: November 08, 2021, 07:45:52 pm »

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 9th of Felsite 179

The Smithing hall rings with steel upon steel...or at least copper and bronze. The training program is in progress at least. Armoursmiths first, weaponsmiths later. I took a look over all the stockpiles in here. I'm glad the military standing orders for the swamp hunters is carry 3 drink. I downed 1 of them on break, and needed another just for inspecting the smithy. Its hot in here now everything's working!

I scrapped the entre west stockpiles and had them redesignated and more importantly, labelled. Silver bars, Iron bars, Steel and pig iron, then miscellanius bars. I set aside an area in the newly dug section for platinum and gold: Tall Bar fixtures.
To the top left is the metal ore stockpile and there's another in the southern annex. Its only being used for clay and lead so far, might as well use the rest of the space. Another spot was set aside for bronze and copper equipment to be returned for recycling be it goblinite or the newly made items of our apprentices.

Though some appeared to get more attached to the metal than others

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 29th of Felsite 179

After consultation with previous overseers, I have decided to induct KingZultan posthumously into the fort's legends. May she rest in glory. Fatcat has gotten quite good at engraving and even made a masterwork of the time when she locked Spriggans away in his tower.

After a few poor efforts, someone finally managed to make a masterwork green glass statue of Salmeuk and Bim. Bim is admiring Salmeuk while he engraves the detailing on that artifact table he made. Bim was positioned in such a way as to be half cuddling him. It was quite sweet honestly. Salmeuk doesn't realise it, but when deep in his cups in the Tall Bar he has murmured some stories between him and her, yet whenever he's inebriated but NOT drunk, he doesn't remember a thing.
It was a beautiful tribute. I drink to your efforts whoever it was because I didn't notice in between all the complaints of equipment mismatch in the barracks.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 20th of Hematite 179

Several *platinum flask* shaped imprints line the page as well as multiple lists and recipes for huge numbers of plants

The tall folk came to trade right as summer began. I was standing on the Tall Bar's balcony when it happened. Through the cloud of goo I peered down and spied but a single pack animal. I rolled my eyes and told Auze that after the 17th tankard he should get some rest since there wasn't many traders this time.
I turned back a moment later after Auze went to bed.

I almost spilt my drink in surprise.

6 wagons were visible through a parting in the goo cloud. Each one packed high with masses of bins and barrels.

I immediately took a drink and banged my head on the bar counter frustrated. Auze was likely going to be asleep for a while having took a liking to my new Hard Wheat Beer. In addition I had completely forgotten to get some crafts made.
Loud damp footsteps clambered up the Silver Stairs shortly after. I still had my head on the counter.

"buhh...puh..mm...pairs!" came the sound of Radiofort's voice. I could smell the soap and water.
"We have pears for cider already Radiofort." I groaned and stared up at him from my slumped position.
He paused momentarily and furrowed his brow. He then bumped the side of his head and I swear I could hear a sloshing noise then yelled out
"BEARS Recon! They have Grizzlies for sale, a pair! he yelled, leaning on his mop out of breath.

Now that made me stand up straight. "A pair of grizzlies?"
"Yes! A breeding pair and an elephant pair too! The lumbering giants not the fruit, but they have pears too!"
"...Any other pairs?"
"Pairs of merchants and horses and uh...wagons. Also someone with a pair of papers said to be looking for Auze, ah! speak of the giant."

I then took another drink and faceplanted again as a human came in bearing some fancy emblem saying his name was Pabat and he was here on behalf of the merchant's guild and was told Auze can reliably be found here in the Tavern
I begrudgingly introduced myself and poured over the manifest for Auze to get to when he eventually came up.

The more I read, the more I couldn't believe what I was reading and I went to see for myself in the trade depot

There was an entire page of fruit and plants of different varieties I could brew drinks from
There was a wagon whose evil I could feel from where I was standing

There was a wagon that stunk as bad as that miasmal arm we shot off the giant corpse last month

There were dozens of different timber that the humans said they had been chopping down in bulk after evicting the elves which earned a massive grin from me.

Finally Auze turned up and he got to work immediately. Apparently we had enough prepared meals and totems that the humans were more than happy to give us the animals, masses of new ingrediants for me to toy with, seeds to go with them, empty books and sheets for our scholars and scribes and a steel flail.

I've never heard of a flail before, but I must say, this giant spikey ball on a chain thing seems quite fun. Not the best craftsdwarfship but certainly unusual.

I'll practice with it a bit first before I execute my next plan
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: November 08, 2021, 10:33:16 pm »

Umm... Unless I was redwarfed without my memory, I am a he. Why does this always happen to me?
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: November 09, 2021, 02:12:57 am »

Umm... Unless I was redwarfed without my memory, I am a he. Why does this always happen to me?

you misread, kingzultan was apparently female. She locked away spriggans

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: November 09, 2021, 06:36:31 am »

Glad to see this is still going. Between school and ... School, I haven't really been keeping up. Time to catch up.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: November 09, 2021, 12:17:26 pm »

you misread, kingzultan was apparently female. She locked away spriggans

OH! Well that is a silly mistake on my part. All I can do is request that your antecedents be slightly clearer.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: November 09, 2021, 03:51:03 pm »

iirc  the king zultan who locked me in was bestowed the title "necromancer hunter", and I believe he/she died.
King zultan was then redorfed.

My memory could be wrong on this though
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: November 09, 2021, 04:40:00 pm »

iirc  the king zultan who locked me in was bestowed the title "necromancer hunter", and I believe he/she died.
King zultan was then redorfed.

My memory could be wrong on this though

This is correct. King Zultan, the most quiet and weakest of the useless dwarves at the time, managed to crack a legendary mason into confessing and then later on captured spriggans.

Died at some point to an unforseen skirmish. Her post went to ZultanKing the Stalking Justice

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: November 10, 2021, 02:32:09 am »

The name Zultan is synonymous with Justice!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: November 11, 2021, 12:30:54 am »

[...]and poured over the manifest[...]

Human in disguise!  What a shameful waste of good booze.  Even the worst plump helmet wine deserves better treatment than to be poured on documents!

(Was that an intentional pun or a typo?  Quite possibly the most dwarven of typos if so.)

Also, I'd like to request a dwarfing!  Anyone who values introspection, if there is one, otherwise a cook or brewer.  Named Fescue and claims the title of Nap Queen.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 01:15:16 am by Moonstone_Flower »
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: November 12, 2021, 05:44:31 pm »

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 1st of Malachite 179

I love that flail. But flails are an area I am a bit rusty with admittedly and I wasn't as good with them compared to an axe.

In order to dump our prisoners into the execution pit, the pit first needed to be cleared out. Especially once I spotted the sheer volume of ammunition lying around waiting to be collected. To clear out the pit required the removal of an undead giant that had an arm shot off during crossbow training. The miasma had disipated now so it was time to strike down Smug Tuxum...by Armok, thats an awful name. I'll just call him smug tuxedo
It took a week to locate the lever to the fighting pit. It was hard to tell which one was the maintaince wall and which were the fighter access.

At last I found it, picked up Nezclaw's axe Rultangath (its exceptional but not masterwork. The siegebreakers got the masterworks) got Auze to open it once I stepped over the traps. I'll take one last drink for good luck. Lower the gate Auze!

Come on then you shambling mound of sobriety, prove your undead might so I can crush it under my boot!

Undead giant blood lines the rim of the page

I was holding back to avoid getting my axe stuck and yet I still nearly split the lumbering oaf in half.

Anyway, the fighting pit is clear and I'm welcomed back by a chorus of hauliers stampeding their boots on the dirt floor and their hands together in recognition for my prowess. I'll drink to another successful task.
Soon the tossing pit can be channeled and we can have the arena used as an arena!

I don't envy whoever has to shift Smug Tuxedo's body

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 21st of Malachite 179

One of the previous Overseers was a bit forgetful, unassigning most hauling labours from the fortress population for some project or another but forgot to turn them back on after. So all this furniture and clothing just isn't getting hauled nor dumped because nobody was assigned to it.
Now that they are all assigned appropriately, there is a steady stream of hauling up and down the fortress.

Including the first batch of Raw Adamantine. The craftsdwarf workshop has been manned and our strand extractor is working as I write this. I will smelt the first wafers in the forge, and Bluarian will smelt the first blade. I think an axe, to commemorate me cleaving that giant's skull. Or perhaps a statue- I never did get around to forging a statue of myself destroying the slab.
Making that one out of adamantine would be an excellent trophy to stick somewhere...yes I'm getting an idea now. A grand entrance hall celebrating smallhands' victories over Weevilmessiah. First with the Echnida wars, the capture of the traitor king, the imprisonment of Spriggans...

A beer drop is on the page

Bad Recon, only 7 projects at once! There's a reason 8 dwarves or more don't make it out the fortress door. Its bad luck!

*Sighs*

In any case, to proceed with the creation of the adamantine axe, in order to create the perfect tool to slay one of the ultimate evils in this world, then we need knowledge. The kind of knowledge that our supposed "Allies" are HIDING from us. The human town of Moistenankles, a small place with some 40 something humans living there is far away from the frontier and about a day's march west. It holds a tome that should be with us here on the front lines.
I speak of "Factual Goblins" a book that goes over the anatomy of goblins and their armies. To know the enemies weaknesses, we must know their strengths so we can cut them down and stamp their mangled corpses into the pits they belong. Be it magma pit or rotting pit for their bones to make new bolts from.

Nezclaw! Gather the siege breakers and retrieve this intelligence! I shall inspect our legendary Fatcat's work on the tombs in the meantime.

By Armok, its beautiful!

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 11th of Galena 179

I think the Siege Breakers need a bit of disciplinary training. One of them decided to ride out of Moistedankles on a yak yelling obscenities at the humans while flashing Factual Goblins in the air, being naked the entire time. As much as I would like to put that down as hearsay, I found a discarded suit of steel armour in the barracks when designating things to melt.

So much for stealth.

On the plus side they retrieved the book. Myself and Bluarian examined it cover to cover as we began prep work. I then stuck the strands in the smelter and rubbed my hands in glee as it fused into 4 wafers of Adamantine.
I gave them each the once over and handed them to Bluarian to begin work. The battleaxe design was masterful, edged and slightly jagged with heavier bits of metal at the back of the axe to give the blade better control as it carves through the goblin.

Curious, while we got the bellows working I asked him how a Knight of the Microline Order became a master smith, or was it the other way round? Even he was getting eager and working furiously, the pair of us with vicious grins on our faces as we laboured. Raz, Auze and Vabok worked nearby, all keeping a close eye on us, anticipating our results.

"See, I was once a member of the Adamantine order and we were all fighters, but some upstart Duke decided to change our name and take Adamantine for himself. We couldn't argue since he was also the militia commander at the Mountainhomes." Bluarian started
"Ha, bloody nobles. So a Knight first then?" I replied.
"Aye, and he was offended at us all beating him in sparring to boot and generally ignoring him when we fought at Cactushexes. One night ordered us to make weaponry using our beard hair as fuel to replace the coal" He started laughing, most likely in anticipation of what came next.

So did I in fairness.

"When he woke up, his beard was missing, and the noble was never heard from again! Anyway, that's how I lost my place at the mountainhomes"
I winced at that while he gathered the wafers. The flames in the forge seared the room, turning blue from the fire. A purple flame licked out above the magma as the Adamantine melted into shape.
"Now where were we...ah yes. Now, most metals can't withstand having Adamantine worked on them, but I'm pretty certain Smallhands iron can with-"
We were cut off by a small explosion of metal as the anvil shattered. We were both wearing armour so it was fine. Vabok's beer bottle got knocked straight out of his hand.
"What was tha' ye halfwits?"
"The beginning of a new era Vabok" I replied with manical glee in my voice.

Bluarian dragged a steel anvil over. Once more I readied the molten Adamantine and let it pour forth into the mold. The flames went higher once again and it tipped into the axe head shape. Bluarian took one of his beard hairs and put it round his hammer then slammed the mold onto the anvil. The Anvil glowed as hammer blow after hammer blow hit the solidifying adamantine. It glowed and pulsed as it warped into shape until at long last he dunked it in the water to cool it off.

Peering into the water he told me it looked quite promising. Many dwarves in smallhands had gathered around all vying for a look at the first adamantine weapon in smallhands.

I came round the anvil and took the weapon and raised it into the light. A brilliant blue blade shining in the magma light, sharper than anything smallhands had worked before.

An Adamantine axe fit to slay a Demon.
"Smallhands! Today you see before you a weapon, a weapon that will one day change the world! Behold its glory, pass it around, take a celebratory drink from the Tall Bar's stockpiles if you really want to. For tonight we made history!"
The crowd erupted in cheers and it got passed from dwarf to dwarf for a little bit before it was given back to me.

I dumped it in the melting pile immediately after everyone had gone. For all its luster, I could barely consider it finely crafted.

"Bluarian. Next time try forging when you aren't sober. The damn thing's too brittle in places."

He begrudgingly agreed.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 28th of Galena 179

I bumped into a certain Alath today on the way to the forge. She was always a bit of a strange one, constantly examining herself and valuing introspection and hindsight, all the way to the point of changing her name to Fescue. Not the most dwarfy of names but then again I was saddled with ClaspFought so I can't say much.
She asked why the adamantine axe was in the melting pile and not mounted on a wall as a piece of history. She also asked if I was interested in trying a *Yak tripe roast* made from Yak tripe, strawberry wine and a giant red wing blackbird egg because she thinks it will be good enough to serve in the Tall Bar given the lack of roasts there.

She...had a good point, the Tall Bar menu did need a bit of an update. Tripe and wine pie and a fried egg alongside sounds delicious. I'll drink to her suggestion.

A foxtail millet stain is on the page

When it came to the axe, she also had a good point. It really is a piece of history and shouldn't be melted down after all. Its still in the pile fortunately. Smallhand's slow productivity turned out to be useful for a change. Not sure where to put it for now.

She then had the audacity to accuse me of pouring away perfectly good wine. I threatened to pour her wine away if she makes such an accusation again! Down my own throat! That's it, I'll drink her alcohol rations!
I then realised she was, once again, true to her nickname in the barracks, sleepwalking and talking like a queen. Hence the Nap Queen nickname. I just nudged her over to a bed.

Finally I was able to confirm the prisoners had been stripped of their belongings. At last! Dumping will commence as soon as Elpho gets his pick and finishes his...story?

Wonder where he plagiarised this one.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 05:49:53 pm by recon1o6 »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: November 13, 2021, 12:40:07 am »

Adamantine melts for far less material than other metals. You may want to hold on to that battleaxe, maybe stick it in a trap or something.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: November 13, 2021, 12:49:55 am »

* Moonstone is cackling.

Love the way you worked that in there, Recon, utterly brilliant.

(Also:  "Pouring" is to dump out a liquid or something that acts like a liquid, such as beer or sand; "poring" is to examine information, such as a document.)
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: November 13, 2021, 07:38:39 am »

Yeah, last time I checked, the rule was "dont melt adamantine, you'll get broke".
The only way to duplicate it through melting it is by smelting split stacks of coins or bolts. Which is difficult to do.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: November 13, 2021, 07:43:41 am »

melting an axe always returns 120% of the metal it used to forge? is that not the case with adamantine?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: November 13, 2021, 08:11:14 am »

According to the wiki:

'Note that the Efficiency column is only accurate for ordinary metals - when using adamantine, the number of wafers required comes from the "Material size" column instead of "Bars to make", so if that number is larger, the efficiency will be reduced accordingly.'

Axes take 4 wafers (this is certainly true, according to the cancellation spam of my last fort) and would only return 1.2 wafers.

Amazing work recon. You're a hell of a good character writer. I'll have you know Onget happens to like when I retell 'the classics'
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 109