Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402545 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - from cowering to echidnas to training grizzlies
« Reply #1305 on: December 02, 2021, 03:11:13 am »

The humans attacked, or some squad of evil bandits. Quick work was made, in fact it was a complete slaughter. Blunarian had a nice one-shot:

Imic bit the finger of a human and shook him around, before beating him to death with his steel shield. It took over 40 hits.. going for the combo score I suppose. It would suck to be a human, am I right??

---

Deep in the dungeon arena, a few survivors hopelessly cling to the fortifications, trying to escape the choking miasma produced from the rotting corpses below:

---

Apparently Salmeuk is in charge, again, that crazy old bastard. They say he lived through some of the worst. I wouldn't know or care -  he is a lonely old depressive and seems altogether too grouchy to be of much use anymore. I overheard his first project would be to set up a proper catacombs for our rather impressive collection of coffins and slabs:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A few years back someone dug out all the rock surrounding the tombs and thus it became ugly, so he says. He plans to move all the coffins, and the contained bodies, in one fell swoop - surely nothing might go wrong when one hundred different dwarves are suddenly awoken from their ghostly rest. Surely.

We have somehow manage to carve 3 different potential catacombs, and they all lay fairly unused.

He will put nicknamed dwarves here, though we might need to expand it after all:

----

fffffff game crashed. I'll try again tomorrow, and remember to save like... every time I finish designations lol

old saves like this have that problem.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 03:13:57 am by Salmeuk »

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: December 02, 2021, 07:29:25 am »

ack my hall of legends! such is life in a community fortress. I'll simply have to rearrange everything when my next turn arrives

admittedly the new catacombs was because I didn't get round to actually moving everyone into them. I was still having statues produced of all the dead citizens and vetting each one to the requisite 1 slab/coffin and the smoothing was barely finished!
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: December 02, 2021, 07:16:10 pm »

ah, do you have specific intentions for the microline-laden hallway? or are you referring to the rather empty but symmetrical catacombs from the first image?

I would prefer to carry out your wishes than trash any plans laid out!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: December 03, 2021, 04:10:28 am »

I wonder what it is about Smallhands that makes us keep redesigning the tombs...

Looking forward to the next one, Sal!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: December 03, 2021, 05:19:38 am »

It seems like we should devote a whole level of the fort to tombs.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: December 03, 2021, 05:57:10 am »

ah, do you have specific intentions for the microline-laden hallway? or are you referring to the rather empty but symmetrical catacombs from the first image?

I would prefer to carry out your wishes than trash any plans laid out!

This one is for the fortress legends. So Nogood, Salmeuk, Recon, Zultan, Auze and an open spot. Recon's is bottom right and hasnt been finished engraving since in her eyes she is still doing great deeds each year
(that note, can you get fatcat to engrave her pouring magma onto goblins somewhere in there)

The one above it with 2 tile alcoves are for those that have died but didn't either make an artifact or serve in the militia. They got a statue and a slab/coffin

The one below it is for those who made artifacts. Statue at the back, pedestal with artifact in middle, slab or coffin at the front
It is also the place for the military, with Statue at the back, then if they have a body coffin then slab, or if they dont, replace the coffin with an engraving of them fighting an enemy

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: December 04, 2021, 04:12:40 am »

This one is for the fortress legends. So Nogood, Salmeuk, Recon, Zultan, Auze and an open spot. Recon's is bottom right and hasnt been finished engraving since in her eyes she is still doing great deeds each year
(that note, can you get fatcat to engrave her pouring magma onto goblins somewhere in there)

this one I will preserve, since it seems only fair to honor.. the best lol. also I have always found microcline a regal color (perhaps because it shares color with adamantine).

Imagine large, detailed passageways of polished stone, glimmering in the torchlight, crystalline and translucent. Microcline is beautiful!

I might modify or combine the purposes of the other two catacombs.

Also, the crash happened again around the same time for me tonight, so I am concerned the save file has an issue. If any of you have time, please open the save file and AFK until around mid-spring, let me know if it also crashes for you or if I have just been incredibly unlucky.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: December 04, 2021, 07:06:21 am »

We have a truly upsetting number of dogs. Is...Is smallhands a puppy farm? The things you monsters get up to...

I'm checking the save currently. I'll update this post with a positive or negative report of a crash. Just repelled the siege with the goohive (which does look much better these days - great job on whoever did that.)

Edits:
Made it to late spring. I'm going to keep it running and see what happens. No crash so far.
Early summer and still running. Only thing I did was stop all the possible hive jobs - because Nish's cancellation spam was bugging me.
Yeah, reached mid-summer without an issue.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 08:14:10 am by delphonso »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: December 04, 2021, 09:36:42 am »

I used a fresh install and it has worked for me. Thank you for testing. OOC update for now.

---

30 years of death:

---

As part of my usual audit of the fortress efficiency, I have concluded that things are OK but could use improvement. In particular, there are a huge number of junk-filled workshops:

We have reached the age where anything less than masterwork quality should really be burnt or dumped. at least where it counts. I will consider creating a sorting room. Considering how fond y'all are of digging gigantic, out-of-the-way rooms, we have plenty of options. :P

---

From Salmeuk's character page:

I have issues. . .

---

Elves arrived, and half the fortress pitched in to bring the trade items up:

We purchased a small pile of berries and a large number of rather exotic birds. I have a plan.. it involves the sealed third cavern, which I previously hollowed out during my previous turn, the underground lake in the second cavern, and a large amount of risk to be assumed by dwarves at random.

---

Lots of Junk here. 907 items to be exact... yet I still have no issue with FPS and that is a testament to our fortresses smallness.

---

During take two of the human "siege", I captured a gif of the combat. Knightwing is the brown dwarf who goes ham on the intruders:

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: December 04, 2021, 08:16:13 pm »

I've just realised something - If you look at the fort from the goblin citadel (the south east) the embark looks like a middle finger in the landscape

The tall bar is obviously the middle one rising above the rest, the dump shoot and entrance are the little fingers, the trade depot roof is the fore finger and Spriggan's tower is the thumb.

anyway, pleased to see the save is not corrupted, I was worried I broke it there!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: December 05, 2021, 01:57:03 am »

hmmm.... a mere coincidence, or was it planned all along?

Many small changes are occuring, including a switch up and shortening of the Goo Hive. While glorious in many ways, I have become sick of the confusing surface entrances - the criss-crossed up and down staircases are half-hazardly mixed with difficult to see entrances and rampways. I cannot predict the path a dwarf will take, and that is dangerous.

I am also attempting to standardize the central staircase entrances so the general flow is more clear, throughout the fortress.

Anyways I will preserve the first wave of death bridges, and upgrade the dirt walls to a lovely limestone.

Further below, a large masonry was constructed for future megaprojects. Our old one was inadquate and also just very far away from our quarries. Next to this masonry a sorting pile for our slab carvers was designated. We should be pumping out masterwork slabs, and hopefully get started on engraving a unique slab for every dead dwarf. Though the construction of said slabs is a real PAIN.

Even further below, a small winding tunnel is carved, preparing the third cavern for flooding. However, before we can breach the cavern wall and let the lakewater flow downward, we must deal with our forgotten beast residents. A fight, or a trap? We shall see.

Should no one be available after my turn, I would be happy to run again BTW - at the current rate I will not be able to touch anything creative, and merely spend the whole year hauling and redesigning. Which is fine. But if we have a pause in the turn list - count me in for a second round.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 01:58:38 am by Salmeuk »

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: December 05, 2021, 03:24:56 am »

I'd be fine with that. I'm technically next in line, but I've stated I'm there only for emergencies, so other people go before me.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: December 05, 2021, 03:59:05 am »

I will post the save file for a few days just in case - I might not have much time tomorrow and the next day.

------

Again, sorry for the OOC but honestly not much happened. Hauling, organization, refactoring stockpiles... I dunno this might be annoying for some but it has given us a more centralized area for the current activity of carving hundreds of slabs to fill out our catacombs. So after a whole year these are the three main projects I completed:

Masonry on the right, catacombs on the left, and masterwork slabs in the middle:

The smelters has been cleared of junk bars, and many bins were created in order to help with organization. Still not enough... We have lots of copper.

Finally, the refactored goo hive:

A clockwise spiraling hallway, the entrance ramp encased in microcline there at the bottom. The inside wall is limestone, while the outside wall is diorite and gabbro. The floors are paved roads. In the center I did away with some redundant stockpiles and made it more . . .hallway - like.

Of exciting note are the grizzly bears, who appear to be breeding happily. We have many, MANY dogs and beak dogs, even after I went through and "did away" with a large number of kittens, puppies, etc etc

Save here if you want to poke around.

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15764

Bombyx Mori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: December 06, 2021, 01:36:52 am »

I've been meaning to try out a succession game for a while now, and I wouldn't mind giving this a shot.
Please add me to the end of the overseer list. I don't have many dorfing preferences, just ideally someone not in the militia.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: December 06, 2021, 01:46:42 am »

Welcome! Smallhands is ... confusing, but the small size of the embark helps keep things from getting too crazy. I honestly would love to hear a newcomers reaction to the mess we have created...
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 109