Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402553 times)

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - from cowering to echidnas to training grizzlies
« Reply #1335 on: December 11, 2021, 06:26:00 am »

It is the wooden axle specifically the one connecting the windmills to the pump the rest are fine.

ofc we dont need it if we find where the magma keeps leaking when it fires
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: December 11, 2021, 08:09:44 am »

A labaor intensive solution would be to replace the axles with copious amounts of mechanisms.  Goblinite is generally magma-proof.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: December 11, 2021, 09:43:06 am »

What's our weaponsmith situation? Was Fikod the only one we had left that was unfevered?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: December 11, 2021, 10:47:06 am »

I seem to recall we had someone capable, if not great, at making weapons. we certainly have enough materials, I spent the latter 3 months of my save reorganizing the metals and putting doors on the forges. slow work with only 10 or 20 free hands at any given moment

Bombyx Mori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: December 13, 2021, 12:17:14 am »

16th of Slate, 181

This month so far has mostly been spent cleaning up the surface after the siege, being pestered by buzzards as usual.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Today I heard that the ghost of Urist has been put to rest beneath the fortress.

Perhaps I will commission a special memorial to place next to his grave.

26th of Slate, 181

Among the dwarves of the Mint Sack there is a legend spoken of by travelers. They tell stories of a titanic beast that roams the desert sands, a winged worm armed with the breath of Armok himself. This creature leaves a trail of destruction in its wake, and does not stop until the object of its ire has been reduced to ashes.

Well...

Armok have mercy.

This titan is able to fly over any battlement, break down any door. Our only hope is to kill it before it reaches the heart of the fortress.

27th of Slate, 181

Well, the creature hasn't found its way in yet. It still wanders around just north of the main entrance.

I have begun sealing off the fortress to the best of my ability. With luck we will be able to fight the beast on our own terms.

28th of Slate, 181

No such luck. It is entering the fortress through a long unused access ramp to the incomplete grand temple, on the northern side of the fortress. In hindsight that entrance should have been sealed years ago, but now we can only hope, and trust in our steel to win the day.

2nd of Felsite, 181

It seems I spoke too soon, it has decided to return to the desert. We remain alert.

12th of Felsite,181

The beast's wanderings have brought it to the top of the fortress, were it seems to be inspecting our beehives. We have sealed the main gate behind it, so it will not be able to walk out of our courtyard. Perhaps it is even too heavy to use its wings?

23rd of Felsite, 181

I have decided that it is time for us to slay this interloper. I have ordered the Overseer's army to stand outside the front gate. The remaining Swamp Hunters will give them support.

Good luck.

1st of Hematite, 181

Just as I am getting ready to defeat that beast, the humans arrive to attack us!

The surface devolves into absolute chaos, with the nearby militia chasing the disorganised humans across the fortress. The humans quickly call off the attack, and the only evidence that anything ever happened are the trails of blood that now encircle the fortress.

13th of Hematite, 181

When I realized that the beast was not coming down, I sent the militia to investigate.

What they found was the titan's lifeless corpse. It seems that all it took to slay this beast was one shot from captain Sibrek's crossbow.

I suppose that was... rather easy. Those traveler's tales must have been greatly exaggerated.

17th of Hematite, 181

Today the elven diplomat arrived. Once again they were here to discuss logging limits for our woodcutting. They still haven't caught on that there is never any risk of us exceeding any of their limits, so Salmeuk agrees to their proposal of a 135-tree cap.

Speaking of trees, we're almost out of logs again. Thank you for reminding me, elf.

10th of Malachite

Today I noticed a young dwarf wandering the halls, named Astesh Araknomal. I decide that he will train in gem cutting, as we do not currently have any gem cutters in the fortress who haven't been conscripted into the military, and even Onget is only competent at his job.

18th of Malachite, 181

I have decided to temporarily replace the missing axles atop the Tall Bar with normal wood for now. They may burn if it overflows again, but we have none of the mysterious nether cap wood that would allow us to make it secure, and we need our greatest weapon in an operational state again.

I shall see if nether cap is available for import next autumn.

4th of Galena, 181

The tall bar once again stands full.

I have not yet fixed the axle situation, and shall thus refrain from using it except in extreme emergencies, at least until we can get nether cap.

1st of Limestone, 181

The last month of summer passed without incident, with work mostly being done on cleaning the surface. Much progress was also made on a certain project of mine down near the magma sea, which I expect shall be completed shortly.

-=-= OOC =-=-
Well, that desert titan was frustratingly simple to kill. And yes, I was scared of a corpse for about 3 months.
Fikod didn't have any important skills that other dwarves didn't have better. Bluarian is quite a good weaponsmith, so no worries there.
I think the Tall Bar might be leaking from one of those two floodgates on the eastern side of the reservoir. It might be a good idea to replace one or both of them with walls, as they aren't actually used to fill the mug. Of course, that might be a bit hard now that I've filled it with magma again...

For the last two seasons I'll probably just be working on my project, and maybe getting some nice quarters for my dwarf. That is, unless the game decides to send more !!fun!! my way.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: December 13, 2021, 04:36:39 am »

damn, everything  is attacking us now our magma super weapon was shut down due to a leak

the important question though: how many did we lose from the siege?

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: December 13, 2021, 05:45:35 am »

May I request another turn ? ;D

As for the Tall bar leaking, the problem is the power supply - input.
The (wooden) axles are at the same Z-layer as the magma release.

Upon release, the upper right exit leaks into the axles

Eventually overtaking almost all of them.

using only one or two nether caps won't do it (it needs 6 logs, witch is a lot) . We need to replace all the axles, OR we need to relocate the axles to feed power to the pumps from above.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 07:32:48 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Bombyx Mori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: December 13, 2021, 07:36:07 am »

Yes that does seem to be where the magma leaks. We could just remove those floodgates, they aren't doing anything anyway.

Also, if you're talking about casualties, there haven't been any since the goblin siege last Granite. The humans just turned up and immediately called off the siege after seeing our legendary warriors.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: December 13, 2021, 08:15:53 am »

As the one who designed the tall bar, the two magma doors around the pump housing are to
1. cover a blind spot in the magma dumping around the E part of the Tall Bar where invaders would huddle
2. actually enable the Mugma to refill correctly (otherwise it would evaporate at least in my testing)

gotta admit though, I'm very pleased that it fires correctly even if the reload constantly needs work.

If its only leaking when the floodgate is opened, then its clearly a door issue. If not, then we might need to do as spriggans says and lift the entire mechanism next time its repaired.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: December 13, 2021, 08:08:26 pm »

And yes, I was scared of a corpse for about 3 months.
To be fair, that almost makes a better story than ‘we fought it and it was difficult but we won!’
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: December 13, 2021, 08:36:38 pm »

May I request another turn ? ;D

Any time, Spriggans.

Bombyx, these turns are just beautiful. You're doing a wonderful job so far! The circle of blood around Smallhands is really a perfect image.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: December 14, 2021, 01:09:17 am »

So it flew to the roof of the colonnade and died amongst the statues? That's kind of awesome!! If you don't recall, a while back I had attempted to forge a steel statue of each overseer, representing their time in power. I never really completed it and only remembered it just now. But the beast died right where the final few statues would have been built.

Bombyx Mori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: December 14, 2021, 03:16:36 am »

11th of Limestone, 181

Today the caravan from the mountainhomes arrived, as usual.

13th of Limestone, 181

We lack very little in this fortress. Regardless I do make a few requests for next year, mostly ores. I have also put in a request for certain precious gemstones, so that we may use them to encrust our furniture.

In return Mestthos offers us the following export agreement.

17th of Limestone, 181

While looking through the merchant's wares, Auze finds a very unusual pair of socks.

Who decided that was a good idea?

We purchase a variety of goods, including their entire stock of cave fish and cave lobsters, in exchange for various spare weapons and tools we have.

9th of Sandstone, 181

Today our mayor came to me asking about a demand she made quite some time ago. Apparently she wants a steel throne in her dining room. We have more than enough steel, so I agree to her demand.

11th of Sandstone, 181

Today the mayor came to me to say that she didn't actually care about that throne anymore. I quickly rescind the production order.

24th of Sandstone, 181

Today I received a petition from Solon of the Rainbow Raptors to formally rejoin the fortress.

Welcome back.

7th of Timber, 181

Today I am proud to announce the completion of a project that I have been working on near the magma sea. This device will allow us to turn the blood of the mountains into obsidian, with which we can make higher quality stone goods. The water for this process flows down from a lake in the second cavern layer.

This meets with the magma in this chamber here.

8th of Timber, 181

While this is happening, Zuntir offers to rejoin the fortress as well.

16th of Timber, 181

Nish also rejoins the fortress.

17th of Timber, 181

The pit is full. Now all we need do is release the water. Pull the lever!

Truly a wondrous sight.

Mestthos has also finally returned to full citizenship. It is almost time to reform the Rainbow Raptors, but I think I shall leave that to the next overseer. Besides, Urvad still needs to rejoin.

27th of Timber, 181

The last of the Rainbow Raptors becomes a citizen again.

I do wonder if we still have those cloaks around...

28th of Moonstone, 181

Today I noticed how clean the GooHive once again is. Hopefully our dwarves can relax for a while, at least before the next goblins arrive.

26th of Obsidian, 181

I have received reports of a ghost toppling furniture in the asylum.

Oh well, my term as overseer is almost up. I shall leave dealing with this to my successor.

28th of Obsidian, 181

These past few months have been quite uneventful. I have decided to officially take up performing at the Tall Bar.

I also commissioned a pair of adamantine helms. One is for Sibrek, as a reward for taking out such an otherwise dangerous beast so easily. The other is for Recon, for various services rendered to the fortress.

Finally, a note for future overseers regarding the obsidian farm.

The leftmost lever controls a floodgate where the water first flows in. This mainly exists to prevent flooding in case the lower floodgate is destroyed. This floodgate is also protected by a fortification to prevent any unwanted guests from swimming in from the caverns.

The central lever opens the floodgate in the main casting pit. Release this when the pit is full of magma. Any excess water should drain away easily. Be sure to fill the pit with magma before water for the best results.

The last lever opens floodgates that will allow excess water to drain away if you accidentally flood the pit with water. Make sure these are closed when the pit is full of magma.

Magma can be pumped from the magma sea manually by a pump operator.

Well, that marks the end of my term. I wish my successor the very best of luck!

As the year passes, a new age dawns for the dwarves of smallhands. Legends spread far and wide of their exploits, and of how the fearsome beast Racon is no more.

This will surely be a new year's party to remember.

Save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15784

-=-= OOC =-=-
That winter was quite uneventful, especially compared to the first half of my turn. The obsidian farm does work nicely though. The adamantine helms I forged for Recon and Sibrek aren't masterworks, but should still be enough  to prevent a goblin with a silver weapon from getting lucky. They only used two wafers each, which is good.

We made it to the age of legends! I was wondering if killing Racon would lead to this, and it did. I would've liked to get a picture of the large pop up that appears when it happens, but that doesn't seem to pause the game when it appears, and it was the first of Granite  :(

As an extra thing I noticed while creating a nice dining room for my dwarf, the dwarves carved a set of five engravings on the wall. From left to right they depict:

• Lorsith Weevilmessiah.
  • Ikud the blind demon killing a dwarf.
  • The symbol of Smallhands.
  • The symbol of the Mint Sack, our civilization.
  • A table cut gem.

So on one side we have Lorsith and their evil minions, and on the other the Mint Sack and their treasure. The only thing standing between them is Smallhands. Quite a lot of meaning for some random engravings.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 07:38:21 am by Bombyx Mori »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: December 14, 2021, 01:59:58 pm »

Wow! That's quite.. legendary  8)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: December 14, 2021, 10:07:53 pm »

Wow! The Age of Legends! Great work on a well-written and exceptionally violent turn! Spriggans, do you want to take it?

As an extra thing I noticed while creating a nice dining room for my dwarf, the dwarves carved a set of five engravings on the wall. From left to right they depict:

• Lorsith Weevilmessiah.
  • Ikud the blind demon killing a dwarf.
  • The symbol of Smallhands.
  • The symbol of the Mint Sack, our civilization.
  • A table cut gem.

So on one side we have Lorsith and their evil minions, and on the other the Mint Sack and their treasure. The only thing standing between them is Smallhands. Quite a lot of meaning for some random engravings.

I love this interpretation so much.

I think Schmaven's suggestion of just using mechanisms is a clever one. I don't know if we can count on the right trees to grow.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 10:10:36 pm by delphonso »
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 109