Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 412461 times)

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - this fort is now about Troghoulytes
« Reply #1440 on: February 18, 2022, 04:36:53 am »

after years of fevered being replaced by those of healthier persuasions, it sounds like we are back to square 1
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: February 18, 2022, 07:58:27 am »

Sign me up for a turn please

This puts you next, my friend!

Interesting turn, xkcd - three sieges is certainly a lot to handle, especially on a succession game with burrows and squads you didn't make yourself. Thanks for keeping the fort alive!

looking around the fortress I saw a lot more fevered cats than I remember...

Do cats...sweat?

after years of fevered being replaced by those of healthier persuasions, it sounds like we are back to square 1

I wonder if we still receive immigrants at this point. It may be tough to pull the same trick again.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: February 23, 2022, 05:36:18 am »

I think we will providing we keep off site dwarven places full of dwarves. I'm a bit curious on the state of the fort rn so I'm gonna take a peek while we wait for avoltion to take their turn

edit: Holy shit xkcd literally destroyed half the upper levels of the map. this is the surface

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The big drop went 6 levels down to the asylum.

Recon and Knightwing got titles! Recon's is "The hungry treaty of consideration" and Knightwing's is "The embraced wheels of shooting" which seems an odd title since knightwing is a speardwarf not a marksdwarf
Recon in particular has 82 kills under her belt in this body. That puts her 4 kills away from 100 if we take into account before she body snatched Tholtig.

613 historical figures have died at smallhands

also, as of the end of this turn There are no more traitors left in the goblin civilisation. We have slain all the "dwarves" that turned their backs on dwarvenkind.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 06:53:15 am by recon1o6 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: February 24, 2022, 01:42:34 am »

There are no more traitors left in the goblin civilisation. We have slain all the "dwarves" that turned their backs on dwarvenkind.
HUZZA!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: February 24, 2022, 01:46:05 am »

I'd love to see the map in Stonesense or Armokvision now. Maybe it's worth the effort of setting that up this weekend.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: February 26, 2022, 06:56:01 pm »

honestly, love the destruction, hate the idea of leftover overhangs waiting to kill dwarves.

I will say that the majority of that side of the surface was already empty space. Not sure when exactly but early on, in the 'teens, a tree farm was created. At least that's what I think it was. Regardless, I remember that space constricting the design of the upper sections and found it interesting to work around. How strong that surface layer of sand must be, to have held itself aloft for all those years.

The return of the sickness, as well. The purple curse. Funny to think, this game predates widespread covid in the west.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: February 27, 2022, 03:04:30 am »

So why did that hole get made anyway?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: March 03, 2022, 10:32:05 am »

I'd like to do a turn please! I have in mind a plan to finally cleanse the site of goop and eradicate the FEVER.
I read through the whole thread and this is definitely one of the best succession games. Nogoodnames's updates especially were very enjoyable to read.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: March 03, 2022, 10:45:48 am »

I'd like to do a turn please! I have in mind a plan to finally cleanse the site of goop and eradicate the FEVER.
I read through the whole thread and this is definitely one of the best succession games. Nogoodnames's updates especially were very enjoyable to read.

Alas the goo fell as rain so eliminating it isn't that easy!

Assuming avolotion brit doesn't start, then it will be you immediately!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: March 03, 2022, 11:00:33 am »

Put me in, coach. I'm gonna try to make an umbrella out of magma to catch all the ooze.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: March 03, 2022, 04:26:54 pm »

Is it alright if I start? I have a few hours today before my evening class starts and it's been over two weeks without a word from AvolitionBrit. I think I can bang out my turn pretty quickly and then he can go right after

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: March 03, 2022, 06:05:01 pm »

go for it!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: March 03, 2022, 11:01:11 pm »

Can Doogie Bronzesiege Save the World?, a pitchblende-bound codex.
This is a 2 page essay entitled Can Doogie Bronzesiege Save the World? authored by “Doogie” Bronzesiege. It concerns the life of the dwarf “Doogie” Bronzesiege. The writing has a somewhat serious tone. Overall, the prose is amateurish at best.

The sun sets as I write on the 28th of Obsidian, hours ahead of the new year. Now is the time for all dwarves to take stock of ourselves and resolve to change for the better.
I am only twelve-and-a-half, young even by human standards, and my fellow dwarves consider me a child. Yet sometimes I feel I’ve got more ability in my medium-length mustache than they have in their whole bodies. These dwarves came to Smallhands as migrants, becoming molded and scarred by the traumas of this place. But I was raised here, in the company of forlorn ghouls and beakdogs and captive necromancers. I have no memories of my father, and mother would never talk of him. I was orphaned when I was eight: the goblins hacked my mother apart right in front of me and chopped off my foot. Although I oft malign the Chief Medical Dwarf, he was able to keep me from bleeding to death at least. I have mourned for her every day since, but tonight will be the last time. I will leave my grief behind me along with my childhood. I paid her a final visit tonight.

And afterwards visited the museum where we keep her greatest achievement.

I felt the familiar wave of pride and sorrow rip through me and allowed the tears to fall. After tonight I will have no time for tears. I wiped them away and left only purpose firm to honor mother with my deeds. When my life is done history will say Asmel Oddomal gave two great gifts to dwarvenkind.

I left the museum and stood outside the hospital where I’d nearly bled to death years ago. Spending so much time in the hospital left its impression on me, and even before my maiming I could tell that healing was my vocation. My mother began calling me Doogie, after a character from a human story she once heard from a bard. Doogie was a Human Child who lived in a hospital, and he was so smart that all of the human doctors asked him what to do. Eventually they made Doogie a doctor too, and he was the greatest doctor in all the land. I started to read at age four, and, as we had no story books in the Smallhands library, I had to make with Start Your Day With Wound Wrapping. I was obsessed with it; I must have read it a thousand times. I couldn’t get over the idea that life-saving information could be held in the timeless pages of a bituminous coal-bound codex, and I wanted to memorize everything that might help another dwarf. I wanted to be a Doogie. My only limit was the number of books in the library, so instead I incessantly bothered the doctors with technical questions… but I found  they didn’t know half as much as the books, and thus hit the other limit of my education. Though they’d never admit it, for the past couple of years I’ve made most of the medical decisions in Smallhands; “Doctor” Quarque and Chief Medical Dwarf Salmeuk merely take credit. I will admit that Doctor Quarque has definitely improved over the past couple of years, though it took some very gruesome trial and error to reach this point.

Dwarven law dictates that I am technically old enough to hold titles of nobility, and I am sure Salmeuk will relinquish the post to me with some convincing. I have respect for the dwarf as our longest-residing citizen, but truth be told he is an amateur doctor, and I suspect he will be relieved once I tell him I want to take over.

Salmeuk’s generation turned a stinking purple charnel pit into to the richest little fortress in the world.  My generation could see it become something far greater, but we need leadership. I intend to seize not just the CMD post, but the position of Overseer of Smallhands. I have ideas for an ambitious healthcare system, and I’ll need to wield serious organizational power to make it happen. One year under my supervision should be enough to get us on track, at which point I plan to relinquish command and focus on the hospital full-time. I’ve spent the past six months studying our thirty-four-year history and reading the journals of all our past overseers. I feel more confidence in claiming the office: one of our past rulers was an alpaca. It served two terms. I believe they will accept a twelve-year-old.
Our community was founded on the principle that the best things in this world are smallest, and I plan to prove our founders right: by becoming the youngest doctor in all the dwarven world! My small hands will bind our people’s wounds of flesh and mind. These are the final thoughts of Ast the child; the sun will rise on Doctor Doogie Bronzesiege.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 08:20:01 am by MrWillsauce »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: March 04, 2022, 12:21:05 am »

Great work, MrWillsauce, thanks for taking the reigns.

AvolitionBrit, you were up next but in case you missed it, I can put you next in the queue.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: March 04, 2022, 04:41:57 am »

Now that was an interesting intro!
We had 5 doctors over time in smallhands. Drs Salmeuk, Imic, Malfoy, Quarque and I forget the last one's name as it wasnt a dorfed member.

Salmeuk has knowledge but was fevered, Quarque never got chance to practice, Malfoy was by far the best but was also the mad doctor who stiched the ghouls over the living. Imic was brutally murdered by goblins. The last one also got fevered and reassigned to military duties

its strange to think we have had children grow up to be full adults with all the death.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 109