Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402649 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - this fort is now about Troghoulytes
« Reply #1485 on: April 17, 2022, 01:22:41 am »

I for one welcome our new microcline overlords.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Tournesol

• Bay Watcher
  • GOAT?? ME??
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: April 18, 2022, 07:03:28 am »

Having wasted(?) several days over Easter binge-reading this entire thread, I must say this foretress is very interesting. The amount of half-finished projects is overwhelming - it appears that overseers in general feel no obligation to finish inherited projects. Which of course only adds to the general chaos and potentioal !!FUN!!!. But perhaps having longer overseer terms (two years?) might see more projects being finished, and less magma unintentionally spilled?

The times early on when the fortress was saved from eradication were an especially interesting read. Well done, and admireable stubborness in persevering even with no accessible pick!

Why was the previous tavern closed down years before the Tall Bar opened?

Anyway, you all have inspired me to resurrect my current fortress, which has been dormant for quite some time. And ofc I'll follow this saga. Will be interesting to see if the current overseer knows how to be a rock and not to roll!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: April 18, 2022, 05:49:48 pm »

The amount of half-finished projects is overwhelming - it appears that overseers in general feel no obligation to finish inherited projects.

lol welcome to succession games in general.

I dream of a fortress that follows some kind of style guide, and even attempted one (Fikuk Urdim was intended to follow a strict style guide until it petered out) but people never read OP rules apparently so what can you do...

thanks for reading, though. It must be a good 100+ literal pages at this point, or more

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: April 19, 2022, 08:43:34 am »

I think the only completed mega projects that smallhands has is the water reactor and the Tall Bar.
so thats what...2 out of 9?

and originally the tavern was closed because I was hoping my successor would finish the tall bar. That...didn't pan out and we were left without a tavern for 5 years. At least one of the successors helped by putting flooring down
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Tournesol

• Bay Watcher
  • GOAT?? ME??
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: April 19, 2022, 10:16:17 am »

Let me add that I got Radiofort's "Amontillado" reference immediately! As others have said, brillant. Perhaps it's an age thing - like Radiofort, I'm not that young anymore. Though the Amontillado matter is older than any of us.

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: April 19, 2022, 09:20:48 pm »

It is when we keep the animal population and cleanliness under control. It sounds like it needs a Clean all and some pop control
Fortress started with 260 animals and 500 meat units; after cleanup 44 animals and 2700 meat units though some may have rotten away. Corpses to D, clothing un-F, metal M. My computer handles Smallhands alternating between 17 and 33 FPS not sure what may cause bottlenecks.
I stopped bauxite block/green glass corkscrew production and umbrella construction as the goal right now was basically cleaning up.

It has been a while, so I'm going to post a request for a new dwarf again. Also, I didn't think there were any more drastically different types of overseer we hadn't had yet, but I was wrong. Looking forward to the latest round of shenanigans.  :D
The militia commander Momuz Swordhatchets is named now Fatcat.

– 1st Hematite –
A vile force of darkness has arrived to execute a special military operation (let me know if politics is ok here). Some 25 invaders. The outer gate was closed. Meanwhile some dwarves were still scavenging whatever was still unplundered on the surface but found shelter within the fortress through an alternative entrance through the former water storage that has been leaking now for a year. Some invaders found a way inside through the umbrella construction. Doors were closed, burrow adjusted. However, there was no stopping them through the power provision tunnel, and the military was sent in to deal with the invaders.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After the swordmaster ambushed and beheaded the elf recruit the remaining invaders left the fortress. Two prisoners were taken.

Traders came we exported 17k. Also, wtf:

– 6th Sandstone –
All the corpses during this year were dumped into the resurrection chamber but this had some !fun! consequences. It appears that our Titan Hunter saw our necromancer through the shutters that were not closed at this time and gave it a straight shot with his crossbow. His lung got punctured and he decided to call some friends:
Our necromancer is just fine:
Moments later some 3 non-named dwarfs died. But we have a friendly troll forlorn ghoul now!

– 18th Timber –
Malfoy went starving mad:
Good possessions, work and beverage seemed to lift up her mood. But the lack of relationship (everyone was busy in the hive cleaning) and restlessness must have been the last drop. Momuz Scrapesyrup has been named 'Malfoy'. He's currently 9 years old.

– 1st Moonstone –
A vile force has arrived, again. 280 invaders. The Trolls started to tear through the pipes and gear-assemblies that were encompassing the Tall Bar:
Further down they also destroyed magma pumps:
And, though unexpected, our fire imp finally decided to use some of its natural powers. Albeit his frustration of captivity was first released on our temporarily retreating warriors:
The shooting range seems to have been to short to hurt anything, but the bursts set a nice fire. In the meantime trolls used the midair stairway to get on top of the Tall Bar and destroyed all they could find:
Some unfortunate dwarves, feeling that the Tall Bar was an invincible stronghold, were not ready for the assault and got crushed by the Trolls. The citizens were avenged:
The invaders were losing interest on the site and the beakdog cavalry mass went south, but some skirmishers remained hunting the local wildlife:
At least they were catching also the local sicknesses:
Back to the Tall Bar, some unfortunate individual decided on hearing the lost civilians, that this was the right time to get some proper socks. Three remaining goblins saw him coming and climbed the Tall Bar. He was dodging their slashes and fell down, breaking some bones but still survived. Scrambling back to safety he was unlucky to find the goblins searching for him again. But he too, was avenged that day:
And this is how the siege ended, but not the consequences. Elpho got so badly hurt, his bleeding wouldn't stop:
By now he was treated two months by our best doctors and the bleeding just won't stop. I don't know how to fix this. At least the doctors get very good at surgery.

The rest of the year was again about cleaning up the last siege. There are two new levers now on level 118, one to open/close the water-reservoir and another one for a secondary gate. It seemed to be beneficial that retreating dwarves may use another entry while a siege is happening, as these always appear on the top-left corner and the secondary gate is on the cave-in site on the right corner.

I also wanted to better comprehend the fortress of Smallhand itself. I found it as example very interesting how the current goo-hive entry was a former trap labyrinth for invasion forces, and since then went through some revisions. Maybe it would be interesting to screenshot/gif fortress levels through the safe-files but it seems like a lot of work. For now I thought of trying this format for this year. It's a list showing on the left column the deepness level and on the right more or less what this level entails.
Code: [Select]
15 deepest dug
16-18 raw adamantine
19 magma enter with traps, magma pump to obsidian casting container
20 obsidian casting container, magma pump start
21 3rd cavern layer end, levers, furnances and forges, obsidian factory
22-24
25 lots of traps to map edge
26 3rd cavern layer start, sunset art
27-34 2nd cavern layer end
35-36
37 entrance to 2nd cavern layer
38-49
50 pit
51-56
57 2nd cavern layer start
58-91
92 1st cavern layer end
93-94
95 clean caverns
96 clean caverns, personal room
97 stone/bar stockpiles, magma smelters, adamantine strands
98-99
100-101 graveyard
102 graveyard, various mason workshops
103 enemy drop chamber end
104 craftsdwarf guildhall, corpse display hall
105 enemy drop chamber start, farmer and armorer guildhall
106 3 personal rooms
107 cavern collapse potential (no responsibility or liability for writer)
108 temple, library, 7 personal rooms, paper/artifact/furniture stockpile
109 2 temples, gem industry, mechanic workshops, cavern collapse potential
110     temple, finished goods/leather stockpile, clothing industry, Salmeuk's suicide chamber, cavern collapse potential
111 4 personal rooms, 40 2x6 rooms, Salmeuk's suicide temple, ressurection, graveyard, food/furniture stockpiles, glass industry, water reactor end
112 water reactor, tavern, hospital, 2 personal rooms, 18 2x2 rooms, food stockpiles, museum, important levers
113 prepared meal/foo/refuse/weapon/armor/ammo/seeds/animal stockpiles, 1 personal room, 3 barracks, 3 pastures, animal industry, umbrella start, outside start, necromancer tower start
114 log/finished goods/ammo/food stockpiles, wood furnance/carpenter workshops, archery range, 1 barracks, 5 personal rooms
115-117 weird stairs siblng rooms, water reservoir
118 farms, water source, 2 wells, food, 2 barracks
119 pasture, besiegertrap tunnel, tradedepot
120 farms, many traps, fortress entrance start, magma mug trap tower start
121 food stockpiles
122 necromancer tower end, graveyard
123 food stockpile
124 food stockpile, fortress entrance end
125-126
127 tavern
128 magma chamber
130 magma mug trap tower end
131-134
135 umbrella

File: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15891
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 09:24:52 pm by xkcd1963 »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: April 20, 2022, 02:01:01 am »

good read, very to-the-point but with lots of detailed screenshots.

A vile force of darkness has arrived to execute a special military operation (let me know if politics is ok here).

a mere play on words, nothing more lol

A vile force has arrived, again. 280 invaders. The Trolls started to tear through the pipes and gear-assemblies that were encompassing the Tall Bar:

at this point, The Tall Bar's propensity to be destroyed, without fail, is something of a force of nature, akin to the seasons or the rotation of the sphere below.

cavern collapse potential (no responsibility or liability for writer)

Oh are we claiming liability now for these things? I might have to change identities. .

Interesting attempt to write out the layer-by-layer structure of the fortress. All I will say is that once the new DFMA w/ html5 is feature-complete, then we can hopefully simply generate a side-view image of the fortress.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: April 20, 2022, 03:31:50 am »

at this point, The Tall Bar's propensity to be destroyed, without fail, is something of a force of nature, akin to the seasons or the rotation of the sphere below.

It certainly seems like it when nobody bothers to release the magma at the top

I hope that wasn't a scroll we just exported!

our rock overseer did well this turn. Be careful what you wish for dwarves of smallhands, for only exceptional dwarves can truly master the world

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: April 21, 2022, 11:19:23 am »

Good work, xkcd. I'm surprised that the imp actually did something. Even with the shutters lowered he refused to launch fireballs at anything unless it stood adjacent to the fortifications.

I struggled my entire turn to get the tall bar's magma system to work. After finally fixing the pump stack and beefing up the power system (and fixing the design flaw in the bar's release system that made it dump magma right back into the pumpstack) the magma intake somehow got flooded with aquifer water which then got pumped all the way through the system. At the end of my turn I believe the whole thing was clogged with water and ice, so xkcd really had no chance to use it. I tried my best to fix that too, but it was extremely involved and I ran out of time.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: April 21, 2022, 03:10:21 pm »

. . . we clogged the magma pipes with ICE??? lol

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: April 22, 2022, 01:44:21 pm »

. . . we clogged the magma pipes with ICE??? lol

At this point, I don't know if that classes as an epic fail worthy of tvtropes, or simply par the for course in smallhands

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: April 23, 2022, 03:25:12 pm »

I really want to know how it happened. At the start of my turn things were running fine but I took the whole Tall Bar pump system offline to fix it and when I turned it back on it wasn't working. When I looked at the magma pipes, there was obsidian clogging it up because water was spawning inside the pipeline itself. It was as if the game suddenly remembered that the pipeline was carved through the aquifer or something. My solution was to come in from above, freeze all the water that was spawning in, and then carve it away and build a new pipe, but I ran out of time. I ended up just making it look even more fucked up, and now I guess trolls have come in and torn the whole pump stack apart anyway.

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: April 24, 2022, 01:49:21 pm »

I really want to know how it happened. At the start of my turn things were running fine but I took the whole Tall Bar pump system offline to fix it and when I turned it back on it wasn't working. When I looked at the magma pipes, there was obsidian clogging it up because water was spawning inside the pipeline itself. It was as if the game suddenly remembered that the pipeline was carved through the aquifer or something. My solution was to come in from above, freeze all the water that was spawning in, and then carve it away and build a new pipe, but I ran out of time. I ended up just making it look even more fucked up, and now I guess trolls have come in and torn the whole pump stack apart anyway.
Maybe I can provide some more information:
I didn't safe-scum the whole year except when the big siege turned up. The staircase that leads up to the platform of the windmills for the Tall Bar allowed invaders through the floor into the inner goo-hive. Goblins were shooting and Trolls climbing down through this hole. Eventually one dwarf was fast enough to build a wall in order to block the passage. There was no further doors or gates that could have prevented invaders from entering the fortress and the military was not strong enough to fend them off.
I didn't realise that the pump stacks next to the Tall Bar were not closed off, as the first invasion didn't have building destroyers. The Trolls were able to penetrate the pump stacks inside the goo-hive too. The aforementioned staircase allowed the invaders to climb to the platform of the Tall Bar.
I guess to fix the water leaking problem we would have to close off all edges of the pumps on aquifer-level with magma safe material and of course close it off to building destroyers.
Has anyone experience with how a magma fountain would work against invaders?

I hope that wasn't a scroll we just exported!
I exported the scroll, thought it was just a copy. Wouldn't have done that with the original. But as my overseer's turn I deemed all goblin and elven propaganda unworthy.

good read, very to-the-point but with lots of detailed screenshots.
Thanks. I would have liked to write something more elaborate as you guys did in the past, but I didn't have much time and didn't want to let people wait for their turn too long.

Good work, xkcd. I'm surprised that the imp actually did something. Even with the shutters lowered he refused to launch fireballs at anything unless it stood adjacent to the fortifications.
^^ I was surprised that it didn't cause any damage. None of the dwarves or invaders got hit. I wonder if this was just luck or has something todo with the fortifications?

In hindsight I realised I could have resurrected Malfoy. Does this work with intact skeletons?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 05:08:31 pm by xkcd1963 »

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: May 05, 2022, 10:18:52 pm »

In hindsight I realised I could have resurrected Malfoy. Does this work with intact skeletons?

As long as they aren't listed as partial skeletons, (which means they have started "decaying") ghoulification should still work by my small experience.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: May 06, 2022, 02:41:18 am »

Picked up the save
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 109