Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402558 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - this fort is now about Troghoulytes
« Reply #1530 on: June 15, 2022, 12:53:03 am »

You go ahead, I shall wait
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: June 15, 2022, 11:28:25 pm »

Records of Fatcat, Captain of the Guard

Y187-1

Date: Slate 1st

I have been tasked with the overseership of Smallhands. Given my high rank, I was already aware of many of the problems plaguing the fortress. The lower exit, which once was deep underground, is completely indefensible, and is littered with bodies, and other refuse. Additionally, I couldn't even find a lever to close the gate, and was forced to order a new one built near the military training rooms. The mass mausoleums in the depths ran out of free coffins, and the restless dead have been maddening our very souls seeking proper burial. The first one I sighted came out of a magma storage basin, and haunted one of our engraving crew.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not long after, our resident bard, Bombyx Mori, was worshiping in the temples when he came to the conclusion that no beauty or story bore any hope, peace, or reason, and consigned his mind to the darkness of madness.

He has since ceased to eat and sleep, and wanders the temples weeping and tearing his hair and beard. I fear that even were I to order him brought back as a ghoul upon his death, his soul has been lost forever.

On a brighter note, the bear breeding program my predecessors instigated has flourished, and I ordered a small number of them trained for war. Additionally, trade thrives. Despite the unfaithfulness of some past overseers in keeping our oaths of peace, the elves continue to send caravans to do commerce with us.

I ordered a few bears butchered, and between them and the gizzard stones from beak dogs, I was able to purchase a small selection of clothing to refresh our wardrobes.

My main concern now is finding a reliable way to dispose of trash in vast quantities, as the fortress I protect and lead has become little more than a heap of years of refuse. I must consult the engineers on the best way to do this.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: June 16, 2022, 01:04:49 am »

There is no such thing as trash - only merchandise for Elves.
       Regards.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: June 16, 2022, 10:14:55 am »

The overseer logs also report two other methods of disposal. An external magma chute, and an atomsmasher
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: June 16, 2022, 06:47:03 pm »

There is no such thing as trash - only merchandise for Elves.
       Regards.
While there is truth in this, I'd like to note that you are not the ones that have to convince the elves that your appraisement that this scrap of cloth that once was considered clothing is actually valuable. Not that I actually remember those sessions, as I have for years now drunk myself before each one to that point of them being a haze.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: June 16, 2022, 07:31:02 pm »

I have for years now drunk myself before each one to that point of them being a haze.

This is actually true. I had to wait for Auze to get a drink before I could commence trade.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: June 16, 2022, 08:32:53 pm »

Drunk trading. . . . . What could possibly go wrong?
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: June 22, 2022, 09:03:40 pm »

Y187-2

Date: Hematite 7th

It is now summer, and progress is slow. The engineers informed me that there should be a machine they referred to as an "atom smasher" around for trash disposal. However, while I was able to discover the lever that operated it, I couldn't find the contraption itself, so I had a new one built nearby.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Animal skeletons, and other assorted trash have started to be dumped and crushed into oblivion. Additionally, in an attempt to control the bear population, I have had a number butchered, and 3/4s of the remaining boars gelded.

Burial continues apace, and there are only a few remaining ghosts haunting us. Bombyx Mori also died about a month ago, and has been peacefully interred in the mass catacombs. I will continue to install sarcophagi until the entire prepared area is filled, so that, even if my strength fails, and the fortress falls, the last of us will have a place to rest into eternity.

Most of the fortress workforce is employed decorating the walls, in a mass beautification project instigated by my predecessor. Unfortunately, one of the fevered haulers is deep in depression, and is dangerously close to falling into madness. I have been casting my mind around for a way to draw him back from the edge, bu so far, have not struck upon and stratagem. I at least am in fine spirits, particularly after finding a worker had engraved an image glorifying my military might in the catacombs.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: June 22, 2022, 11:23:22 pm »

Behold the Four Great Atom Smashers of Smallhands.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: June 23, 2022, 01:07:22 am »

Huzza may all our trash be smashed until nothing remains!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: June 29, 2022, 12:47:25 am »

How's progress, fat__cat?

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: June 30, 2022, 01:29:11 am »

Y187-3

Date: Malachite 23d

The last month and a half has been a chaos of good and bad events. The good is exemplified by the laying to rest of one of the most persistent ghosts.

Additionally, the new trash disposal has also seen significant use, with rubbish from across the fortress being crushed into nonexistence.

Unfortunately, the full moon brought a surprise visit from a werepig, which was inside the entry of the fort before it was spotted.

I scrambled all the dwarves with military training from across the fortress to defend, but before the beast was killed, two civilians were dead, and a one of our legendary soldiers, who hadn't grabbed any equipment in his haste, had been bitten. He was locked in the upper entrance of the fortress until a safe isolation room could be prepared for him, but unfortunately, the worker tasked with reopening the gates failed to inform the unfortunate fellow ahead of time, and he suffered the same fate as the fort's refuse, becoming a new adornment to the bottom of the inner gate.
(He had just transformed back into a dwarf, so all his equipment was scattered comically around the bridge that he was smashed under.)

(OOC: I'm really having a tough time making progress here, between low fps (how?), and various catastrophes, so if someone feels like half a year, I'd appreciate that. I will finish through summer, at least, but I'm not sure it is a good idea for me to go longer than that. My cleanup efforts are in an attempt to make the fort more playable in the future, but they haven't gotten very far.)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: June 30, 2022, 04:57:23 am »

I can wrap up the year for you, no worries. Been a long time since I've trapsed around Smallhands.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: July 02, 2022, 11:40:21 pm »

Y187-4

Date: Limestone 1st

I have come to an agreement with the other dwarves here to have someone else finish my term of overseership. I have found that the responsibilities distracted me from my endless practice towards becoming the best warrior of dwarfdom. In the the time since my last log entry, very little of note has occurred. I recorded the laying to rest of one ghost then, but since then, three more have been satisfied, and have left us for the afterlife. In addition, I streamlined the production of coffins for the catacombs, and disposed of several more small batches of trash.

Definitely my most important act, though, has been the diversion of a number of low grade coffins into a rough room hollowed out of one of the mining levels. Over all my years here in Smallhands, the only companionship I have ever had has been my cats, and I have been forced to endure the death of more than one, after which, they were merely discarded as another valueless object. Now, I hope to never suffer this grief again. The fortress can certainly spare a few resources for the happiness of myself, and the few other pet owners. Now, I will hand leadership to another, and return to my endless training, and my furry friends.

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15985
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 09:42:53 am by fatcat__25 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: July 03, 2022, 01:44:39 am »

A crypt for pets is an interesting addition I don't think I've seen very many of those in other forts.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 109