Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kobolds don’t want to fight me  (Read 2697 times)

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobolds don’t want to fight me
« on: January 31, 2020, 08:51:09 pm »

So I embarked on a quest after I’ve learned that a local fortress has issues with skulking filth. A small kobold fort, everyone’s in the dormitory. I entered, talked to locals for a while and started slaying them, together with my two companions. We all have armour and iron weapons so it’s no contest, really. The fight is really anti-climactic as no one really helps the kobolds I’m attacking - I killed 50 kobolds, one by one, only having to fight one at a time (three at one point, though). One blow to the neck or head usually did the trick immediately, and even if they wouldn’t die immediately, they would yield. Others just kept standing away, talking about death and how I killed someone as if they’ve just learned about it from someone.

Is that intended? Do kobolds not assist each other in a fight to the death? They should feel really threatened after I go on a rampage, and yet they’re not even running away.

Also, why don’t kobolds have any loot? Not even simple things like supplies, food, or water. They’re all uniformly dressed in loincloths, sandals and some other crap, in winter. Not one had a weapon, either.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 08:56:57 pm by FAA »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Kobolds don’t want to fight me
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 11:14:25 pm »

It still happen ?
I hoped this df2014 old problem of overly passive npc despite their friend/family getting killed in front of them had been fixed :/

Something harmless you can try :

in the \YourDFdirectory\raw\objects\
Open the file named creatures_standard.txt

Scroll down until you see
[CREATURE:KOBOLD]

add after that line
[NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:10]

Do the same for the creatures_standard.txt located in \YourDFdirectory\data\save\regionX\raw\objects\
so it will also work on your current world ( regionX with X being a number).

This should get kobold npc less broken by morale checks and rolls.

If you find it's not enough, there's the much less harmless method, instead of
[NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:10]
add
[NOFEAR]
[OPPOSED_TO_LIFE]
[CRAZED]

This one is guarantee kobolds will attack to the death on sight anything that is not kobold

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 12:26:38 pm »

An update on this, i've been toying with adding to dwarves and human :
[NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:15]

Then i created a world, i made sure the [NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:15] was also there in the save own raws of course.

Then creating a demigod dwarf in a dwarven hillock i went to a nearby human hamlet and killed dozen of humans  one by one without anyone trying to fight back, their reactions, at least those not running away in panic were just the usual stupid comment "is that a weapon" or "death is all around us" .
I also noticed that when hit once, every target was trying to run away as if they had not discipline level 15 instead of fighting back their aggressor.

Hmm, i was wondering if it had to do with demigod and its insane stats/attributes screwing up the npc morale/reaction checks.

So i retired and created another dwarf in the same dwarven hillock, but this time instead of a demigod i created him as a weak peasant so the stats/attributes would be a lot much lower.

I then went to the human town , in another part of it to make sure the human there would not have seen the previous massacre in case it would influence their morale/reactions rolls.
Then i proceeded to kill dozen of humans again.
Very annoyingly, similarly to the previous test, no human ever tried to fight back, most of them were fleeing or making absurd comments, waiting to be killed in turn.
So it looks like discipline level 15 does nothing as npc still freak out as if they had 0 discipline. My peasant mace skill even went from his very low level up to Adept.

I then checked my character and he had a lot of "afraid of seeing X die" , so even for the dwarf the discipline level 15 does nothing, he was even afraid of a trauma that he never had too.

Same broken npc morale/reaction as df2014 :(

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 08:41:48 am »

Are these human civilians or soldiers?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 01:36:06 pm »

They were civilians.
Is fear/morale/reaction caculated differently for soldiers and civilians ?

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 10:32:11 am »

Are these human civilians or soldiers?

Civilians, in my case. They simply walked around, as their friends were slaughtered, didn’t even try to run away from a vastly superior enemy.

spectan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 04:07:35 pm »

This isn't just kobolds, for the record.

I've been running around clearing goblin fortresses and i've never had more than a single goblin attack me at a time with the exception of roaming bands and only once or twice inside of a dark fortress.

Actually, the only "faction" i've had routinely all attack me at once are undead/zombies.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 06:51:15 pm »

It sometimes works, though. When a goblin challenges you for identification and you give a wrong name, several ones can attack you.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 05:44:46 am »

It's been a problem since df2014 , some version only slightly improved but overall there's still too much overpassivity from every npc even now, df 34.11 was still much better for this, there was a thread about tries to work around the problem :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=172488.0

You can also give a try to the mini mod World of Fear to work around overly passive enemies in current version of DF, but it goes to the very extreme of aggressivity :D
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152661.0
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 05:48:55 am by Robsoie »

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 11:14:24 am »

This isn't just kobolds, for the record.

I've been running around clearing goblin fortresses and i've never had more than a single goblin attack me at a time with the exception of roaming bands and only once or twice inside of a dark fortress.

Actually, the only "faction" i've had routinely all attack me at once are undead/zombies.

That’s my experience exactly. One of adventure mode’s biggest problems is that it’s too easy to fight sentient creatures one-by-one, eventually slaughtering whole forts with ease. I think I’ve encountered this problem with all sentients.

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 09:57:52 pm »

It sometimes works, though. When a goblin challenges you for identification and you give a wrong name, several ones can attack you.

Never happened to me. They’re always timid.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 01:52:41 am »

This is very odd. About half of people I see say it works fine and that the problem is fixed, and the other half say it's still broken, or even worse than before. Maybe something in worldgen is breaking hostility between civs?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 02:02:58 am »

This is very odd. About half of people I see say it works fine and that the problem is fixed, and the other half say it's still broken, or even worse than before. Maybe something in worldgen is breaking hostility between civs?

Hostility is one thing. If you’re attacking neutral beings and slaughter them in front of their kind and they do nothing, that’s another. It’s too easy to destroy neutral sites because no one fights back.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 07:29:06 am »

I haven't tested it, but does changing ethics for ASSAULT and KILL_NEUTRAL change anything here?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 01:17:50 pm »

by default kobolds entities already have
[ETHIC:KILL_NEUTRAL:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:KILL_ENEMY:REQUIRED]

So i guess it's another case of whatever the player does to a faction he is still not recognized as an enemy, something that happens since df2014.
Pages: [1] 2