Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just me, or has the morale thing been fixed?  (Read 1987 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Just me, or has the morale thing been fixed?
« on: February 05, 2020, 05:40:21 am »

Adventure mode is actually quite hostile now. Animal-men often attack and so do bandits, and there are no friendly night trolls, didn't check vampires yet, though.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just me, or has the morale thing been fixed?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 05:55:32 am »

Adventure mode is actually quite hostile now. Animal-men often attack and so do bandits, and there are no friendly night trolls, didn't check vampires yet, though.

I still need to test fortress mode too, i've not encountered any trolls this version with [LARGE_PREDATOR] to see if they have hostile reactions when previously they were very/solely focused on destroying workshops. But its promising you mention it, ill check it out by walking away from the fortress underground road routes.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 05:56:41 am »

There are still some glitches, but guards go hostile on failed identification, and when someone sees someone else of their group attacked, they tend to rush in to defend if they are armed, and run if they are not. It's much more !!FUN!! than prior releases, because you actually have to think about combat again.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Snow Gibbon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 10:04:29 pm »

Goblins still don't care if you run off with their entire inventory of children however.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 06:40:56 am »

Seems more like there are groups of them.

Previously attacking one bandit or goblin provoked maybe one or two another. Now, attacking goblin fort with 30 denizens gave 4 waves from five to seven warriors in each. Some still could be killed in plain sight with no response and usually there are some which have been hurt by previous infighting after loading up the map.
With bandits camp it seem similiar, just less people in waves and more of them killed seperately.

I think it might be tied to deeper relationships in worldgen and now histfig tend to have some friends hanging around who would help them while engaged.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 12:48:28 pm »

Wild animals still run away from you unless they are ambushing you.

spectan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 07:52:46 pm »

Seems more like there are groups of them.

Previously attacking one bandit or goblin provoked maybe one or two another. Now, attacking goblin fort with 30 denizens gave 4 waves from five to seven warriors in each. Some still could be killed in plain sight with no response and usually there are some which have been hurt by previous infighting after loading up the map.
With bandits camp it seem similiar, just less people in waves and more of them killed seperately.

I think it might be tied to deeper relationships in worldgen and now histfig tend to have some friends hanging around who would help them while engaged.

Interesting, is there a way to get this to occur more commonly? Currently i'm trying desperately to end a Dark Fortress as my current character goal and i'm 300+ kills deep and i've yet to have anyone i haven't already attacked engage me/engage as a group.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 08:35:38 pm »

From what i played of adventure mode, this version still have the same problems as before regarding over passivity of the npc.

Meaning out of a very few rare ones like that hammer guy that finally attacked me after i delivered a very lot of shield punch in the face of his lord (that truly surprised me but that was one npc reacting in several of hundred of npc-witnessed fights) the npc are not really reacting to anything happening to any other npc in their view.

Sure they're saying how things are terrifying or how someone attacked someone, but that's all.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:37:30 pm by Robsoie »

Lorn Asbord Schutta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 05:10:16 pm »

I have stormed human castle with over forty soldiers, mostly crossbowmans and swordsmans, few children. I have killed one guy in the barrack, and they only talked how I attacked someone. When I talked to them, they spit on me, but no aggression.
I traveled out, stayed outside for hour and returned. When I killed another one, there was still no reaction. But then I slashed the third one and before he died I talked to one of the soldiers.
Suddenly almost all of them turned on me at lethal. I survived, since right now my stats are legendary in all relevant skills and many of them, despite lethal conflict, decided to not chase me. Why? I don't know. I might try to slaughter another castle in near future.
Few times I punched a local lord to the face and in few cases whole court went into brawl, children included. But at other times - even in the same hall - when I sliced someone in half nobody really responded otherwise then talking standard dialogue.
So there is improvement from what I have seen in previous versions, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. And I am not sure if there is way to nudge them into full blown skirmish.

EDIT
I went into dungeons, where I found some humans who said that they were soldiers, and just in rooms nearby some goblins who made criminal organization. When I attakced chieftiess of the gang, six goblins went lethal on me, including one in the room next door, who couldn't saw anything. But not all gang members went lethal. And to make things even more bitter, when I started to kill soldiers there were no such comradship. I think one soldier went lethal, when I killed another warrior next to him. The rest didn't care.
So I guess there is still long way to go before reasonable morale and aggresion system.

EDIT 2
So it seems that killing one person, giving them some time to spit and froth at sound of your name, then returning and attacking someone almost gives you the reasonable effect. Now in bandit fort with 69 denizens, I have done what I described and 35 went lethal. Those who didn't react at first call either waited for their doom, or reacted when another passive next to them was slain.
Another oddity was in changing lethal to no quarter. At some point one of the first batch yielded. I killed him and about 1/3 of the lethal group changed their status to no quarter, while the rest stayed at lethal. Since the target that started skirmish was called "master" and this yielding soldier was just spearman, maybe it has to do with histfigs' relationships?
When you attack someone at the first coming to place most of NPC are not yet histfigs, with no memory of anything. So no reaction. But as they talk between themselves how "it is terrifying", they start to make some connections and only then they react with violence when killing their one-hour buddies. I don't know enough about NPC memory, so anyone with more more knack at those things will be apreciated here.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:17:48 pm by Lorn Asbord Schutta »

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 03:41:50 pm »

Only real "error" I seem to be encountering is that typically necromancer corpses do not go hostile on sight, making the stealing of their secrets much easier. It used to be the sort of thing I'd have to go charging in with a full party or a beefed up rhino man to be able to collect.

And of course on the flip side of things, if you have an army of raised corpses, they follow whichever character you are currently controlling as opposed to just following the necromancer, and of course they aggro everything on sight except your party. I was going to leave my necro on the edge of town so I could go and get a quest without  killing all my corpses one by one, but upon telling him to stay put and swapping characters, the undead all followed the character I swapped to instead of huddling around my beloved necro.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:43:48 pm by gnome »

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 10:29:36 am »

Goblins still don't care if you run off with their entire inventory of children however.

That's an option? That's been an option!? And here I thought mass murder was a requirement for rescue missions.

I think someone mentioned passive kobolds already somewhere on the forums, but it's worth telling my own story. I ran into a few squatting in an abandoned hamlet, minding their own business. One even had a generated title like the kind you find on religious figureheads. Wierder still was the fact they had a human among their ranks. She was wearing just a tunic and loincloth, same as the kobolds, so she was either a member of their civilization or a spy. Either way, good luck to her.

There was also the rogue bandit. I had just cleared a hillocks of some goblin bandits, and went to next one over to spread the good word. This next hillocks was occupied entirely by armed dwarves serving a dwarven warlord, and they were actually quite pleased with my work. As I disembarked, I noticed an * near the hillocks I had just come from. Thinking I had missed a golbin, I doubled back to investigate, but instead I found a hostile marksdwarf who immediately engaged me in no quarter. I disarmed him, tossed him around till he yielded, and learned he was a soldier serving the warlord I had just spoken to. I let the marksdwarf go and went straight back to the warlord to confront him, but when I brought up how one of his men attacked me he didn't react. There were no other hostilities after that, and when I encountered other patrols from the same group they were passive as well. I don't know what to make of it, I'm not even sure if they were actual bandits or just one of those groups the game lumps into the outlaw category.

It may not necessarily be related, but I do think it's wierd how the new intelligent undead are getting along despite not being able to speak. They're not exactly common, but I've been finding them among mortal populations, generally idling in hangout spots such as keeps and mead halls. On the plus side, they might be good for training speech related skills since they can't dismiss you.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Dradavich

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 04:33:34 am »

Going probably have to wait till the justice update till this truly is fixed but it's better then 0.44 where you could go around as killing machine virtually unchallenged