Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abudance of steel  (Read 1149 times)

Lorn Asbord Schutta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Abudance of steel
« on: February 13, 2020, 06:41:49 pm »

I noticed that in the world I currently play there is suprisingly high number of human-sized steel equipment. In older versions I had ran only once in NPC who had steel gauntlets in human size and in rare occasions I found some steel waepons on goblins.
Now I found several NPC laying in ambushes near the goblin forts who usually have about two articules of steel on them, sometimes even *steel equipment*.
It is common across the world, so it is not bound to civ.
Even more, now I am raiding catacombs in city and I found two treasure rooms with high quality iron, bismuth bronze and steel armour and weapons, with few training weapons made of stones - milk opal training spear, for instance - similiar to knives carried by monks, and some generic catacombs chaff of copper and cloth. My clothnig constitutes now only steel, mostly of superior quality and my horse is stuffed with finely-crafted steel. There were even +steel arrows+, which couldn't be made by dwarves and I think are not used among goblins either. I have never seen something like this in any tomb nor catacombs.

So my question is do you find more steel among NPC then before, or maybe it is just the quirk of my current world? And are those findings in catacombs are supposed to be normal?

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abudance of steel
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 07:11:09 pm »

As I'm in the habit of quitting WorldGen around the year 170-200, I just find the usual copper, bronze and iron gear in towns. Granted, a lot of iron, compared to former versions of DF, but still just iron as the highest tier of metal for humans. I guess, you've let WorldGen run way longer than that?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 07:25:10 pm »

There seems to be slightly more takeover of sites going on in worldgen (no proof, just general feeling) and it's supposedly always been a thing (although never seems to happen) that humans with access to steel will get to be able to use steel. So it's not inconceivable. Do you have many "human fortresses" in your world?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 08:25:08 pm »

Shonai is probably on the money there. Otherwise, there might have been a big uptake of human citizens in that dwarven civ - resulting in more human-sized gear floating around the world.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 01:11:56 am »

I don't seem to have very many human forts in my 430 year world. I think bandits and mercs upgrading their gear in worldgen can upgrade to steel if the circumstances are right, as all of the steel I've seen comes from them.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 02:23:10 am »

I don't seem to have very many human forts in my 430 year world. I think bandits and mercs upgrading their gear in worldgen can upgrade to steel if the circumstances are right, as all of the steel I've seen comes from them.
Have you seen any material upgrades on Legends?
So far I've only seen quality upgrades which follow DF's usual quality levels.

Still, if mercs are being hired by dwarves, it might be another route for them to get their hands on steel.

Fortresses, not forts, forts and castles are regular structures built by humans. Fortresses are dwarven or ex-dwarven potential steel mines. None of those?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 03:02:51 am »

Have you seen any material upgrades on Legends?
So far I've only seen quality upgrades which follow DF's usual quality levels.

Still, if mercs are being hired by dwarves, it might be another route for them to get their hands on steel.

Fortresses, not forts, forts and castles are regular structures built by humans. Fortresses are dwarven or ex-dwarven potential steel mines. None of those?
Nah, there are very few dwarfs in general as they got royally screwed in worldgen. Some humans control one or two ex-dwarf hillocks, but the most steel I've seen comes up north, where there are (from a cursory glance at least) no dwarf civs to control.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister