Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Hero Saga: Out of Character Thread  (Read 6924 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Cautiously Optomistic
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: (OOC) Hero Saga
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2020, 10:23:09 pm »

I also want to consider how to add more novelty to HS. One of my challenges as a player is the lack of of variety in a game can make it lose interest for me.

Here I am trying to create different gameplay aspects to stay interesting. Short wiki war style battles. Spam game like city simulation and responsibility. Roleplaying. I have a few other ideas I want to try aswell.

What are your favorite kind of forum games, and what would be cool if that style of gameplay was a part of the HS experience?
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2020, 06:31:48 am »

I like SPAM games

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2020, 07:32:45 am »

I'm probably not the best person to ask what kind of games I like, as I like all kinds of games.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2020, 07:58:22 am »

I'm probably not the best person to ask what kind of games I like, as I like all kinds of games.
I like multiple types as well, I pucjed the one I happen to have played more if

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2020, 03:13:43 pm »

I like SPAM games
My understanding is that Spam in a nutshell is a fantasy(or other) world sim, with stats summarizing the well being of the kingdom you rule over. You lose if they get too low, or if story decisions lead to the kingdom falling. You make multiple choice decisions(in group suggestion format). That about right?

Noted.

I am also taking advantage of some Arms Race systems. The bell curve dice that are popular there to make things a little less luck based, for instance.
Awesome With Autism

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2020, 07:01:38 pm »

Yes, this is correct

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2020, 02:14:46 am »

I'm a little burnt out on updating Hero Saga. So I am going to take Sat and Sun off. See you Mon.
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Hero Saga
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2020, 08:52:35 pm »

Is anyone stressing about the 24 hour event time limit?
Awesome With Autism

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2020, 09:16:09 pm »

No, I got my action in. Thanks for the PM about the game being back, it didn’t show up in forum tags for some reason
(Forum tags probably isn’t the right word, the list of posts when you click see new replies)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2020, 09:20:54 pm »

Good. I am also working on organizing the rules and OP, so my focus is a little divided between running and organizing. Apologies for inconsistent pacing for now.
Awesome With Autism

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2020, 09:46:50 pm »

It’s fine

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2020, 01:54:11 am »

Is anyone stressing about the 24 hour event time limit?
I'm not stressing about it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2020, 03:19:17 am »

I am going to compile all this stuff at some point when I feel it out more.

Here is version 0.0.0 that compiles all the information so far in this thread. I will still make announcements when changes are to be made(usually, see Bastard Mechanics breakdown for details). You can check the version number to know at a glance if and how major I have updated the rules. This is what the number string 0.0.0 means(left to right):

Version: Marker of a major milestone and culmination of various broad experiments.
Revision: Major tweak like a new, removed, or rebalanced feature or features.
Correction: Minor tweak with low player impact, fixed mistake, improved wording, etc. Details not archived.

Number strings are separate numbers, not decimals. So ".12" is larger than ".2". However the proceeding numbers will reset when one of the former ones increase.

My goal is to start 1.0.0 when Aftermath completes.

Code: (0.0.0 Archive) [Select]
[url=http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=175552.0]IC/Game[/url]

[center][abbr=HERO SAGA][img]https://i.imgur.com/w6uJNr5.png[/img][/abbr]

[size=12pt][b]By roseheart[/b][/size][/center]

[i]Do you have what it takes to be the hero? As a citizen of Atlas who may have special skills or abilities(or not), you must protect humanity from rising crime and monster invasions.

You and your allies will patrol the districts of Atlas to stop crises as they develop, and investigate deeper problems under the surface. You must also take time to train, equip, and prepare. Each session has a theme with unique known and unknown challenges set in motion from the start. When the agents of chaos, corruption, and ruin come for their piece of Atlas, will you be ready?

The fate of humanity rests on your shoulders![/i]
[center][size=12pt][i]Summary[/i][/size]
[table][tr][td][b]• 3 Players
• Cooperative (Mostly)
• Randomly Generated PCs 
• 48 Hr Turn Limit[/b][/td][td][b]• Bastard Mechanics
• Public OR Secret Actions
• Plot-Centered Sessions
• Ongoing Experience
[/b][/td][/tr][/table][/center]

[size=14pt][b]Overview[/b][/size]
[spoiler]3 player capacity. Basically this is a pve wiki wars game where you are a hero. We'll see if this is fun and go from there...
Unlike a wiki war, which is like one big battle, this game will focus on smaller skirmishes and making decisions with your down time. I have decided not to use wikis, I will instead use power generators for your random character.

[size=14pt]Powers[/size]
Powers take 2 main forms: GIFTS and SKILLS. You may get 1 power to start with, or you may be an unskilled ordinary human. There will be means to obtain both types of powers in addition to what you start with. Such as joining the Arbitors and receiving training and weapons, or allowing a corporation to experiment on you.

[size=14pt]Power Score[/size]
Based on your powers you will be assigned a "Power Score". If it is high enough, then you can autocomplete some tasks. Your powers may give bonuses to this score. You can preform stealth actions but your power score is cut in half. During an actual (non-autocompleted) encounter, things will play out similar to a wiki war battle, though streamlined to allow everyone to keep pace. Power Score does not affect these battles, and is only used to autocomplete tasks you are 'overpowered' for.

[size=14pt]Goal[/size]
A session is based on a theme, an example of a theme is 'First District'. The game is set up more as an ongoing experience, than a 'match' or similar verbiage. However when the theme reaches what I feel is the logical conclusion, that will end the session.

[size=14pt]Bastard Mechanics[/size]
There is a general warning in place that this game may have elements like a "bastard mafia", not only are new gameplay elements going to come up as the game evolves, there may be meta descriptions of powers, corperations, player actions, and more that are intentionally false. I am basically giving myself permission to lie to you. This is just that kind of game. This may or may not include:
[b]• Changing Mechanics[/b]: Changes to gameplay after you start, such as improvements to balance and immersion, and new or removed features.
[b]• False/Secret Mechanics[/b]: NPC lies and PC perspective bias preventing your correct knowledge of gameplay mechanics. Experimental mechanics not being announced until after testing. Undisclosed challenges. Stuff not interesting or consequential enough to mention.
[b]• Inconvenient Mechanics[/b]: Your randomly generated character being difficult to use.

[size=14pt]Laws[/size]
• You cannot kill a human unless in self defense.
• You cannot kill a monster that can speak unless in defense of human life.
• Arbitors can kill a human that has committed a common sense crime (theft, violence, ect.) or worse and is unwilling to be detained or are obstructing justice.
• Detained criminals and monsters are sent to The Abyss. In times of surplus crime or monster attacks these individuals may be called upon to help in exchange for their freedom.
[/spoiler]
[size=14pt][b]Actions[/b][/size][spoiler]
When you do something publicly, you post it in the IC thread. When you choose to do it privately you PM it to me. If you wish to talk to another player privately, you must include me in the PM.
Any actions made publicly can be acknowledged by other players. No one is telepathic. If you post it in the thread, by necessity I must think of ways the other players could find out. Basically if players see it, other NPCs see it.

[size=14pt]Crisis/Activity Phases[/size]
Live events and weekly actions will be different things, so if you join a live event, that will not displace your weekly activity. I will give more time for the first turn of a live event for others to join, but after that will only be waiting for the main actors, even though others can still join in.

[size=14pt]Roleplaying Prompt[/size]
Resolve [b]bolded[/b] events before taking your next turn.

[size=14pt]Keep Up[/size]
I'm going to set a 48 hour turn limit on weekly actions, and 24 hour limit on live event actions. If you are skipped then I will not wait for you until you begin participating again. Exceptions can be made if requested, but I don't want to hold up the game in general. I will allow actions that are posted before I begin the update.
[/spoiler]
[size=14pt][b]Crisis Phase[/b][/size]
[spoiler]
You can always join an Event.

[size=14pt]Outcome[/size]
I have been using 2d3 for rolls with these outcomes and modifiers:

2 Bad
3 Poor
4 Decent
5 Good
6 Extra Good

Trivial (+1), Normal (+0), Hard (-1), Insane (-2).

[size=14pt]Meta Medals[/size]
At the end of coop events will be a chance for players and myself to vote to recognize a player, either themselves or one of the others. This will be an anonymous straw poll PM'd to everyone. I will also give an award if you always met posting deadlines, and will give an award for roleplaying to one player. Then at the end of the session the one with the most awards will get an MVP slot for the next session. This may increase the normal player limit. The reason is I'd like to go beyond 3 players, but I need to be sure I am including high effort players in the mix and to limit slowdowns.
[/spoiler]
[size=14pt][b]Activity Phase[/b][/size]
[spoiler]
You can attempt to do what ever task you want, I just ask you stay relevant to the themes of the game.

Some basic examples of theme relevant tasks are:
-Investigate (detect crime)
-Hunt (track monsters)
-Assist (join another player)
-Train (improve skill)
-Buy (obtain gear, ect.)
-Contact (Respond to news offers)

These can be more specific to the events or stay this general. Make it clear if you are against killing or have instructions for auto complete scenarios. I will assume you behave lawfully by default.

[size=14pt]Gear[/size]
You can spend an amount of wealth points to assist your weekly action. This may be essential for buying or making things, but can be used in other ways. Which I will allow you to explore on your own.

[size=14pt]Wealth[/size]
A value from 0 to 5, you can spend wealth to improve actions. Money will be replenished at the beginning of the first week of the month. This does not 'add' to your previous remainder, but restores the points up to your wealth level.

[size=14pt]Residence[/size]
Wealth will also determine where you can live. You can move to a nicer place if you increase your wealth, and it will not decrease your number of available wealth tokens to spend for the month.

[size=14pt]District Stats[/size]
[b]• Panic[/b]: How likely people are to act out of caution or fear over trust and good will.
-Influenced by news headlines and incomplete investigation or hunting tasks.
[b]• Crime[/b]: How likely people are to be victimized by minor criminals, and chance of a major crime event.
-Goes up by 1 after a delay of X weeks, where X is the current rating. 'Investigate Crime' for your weekly action to reduce it.
[b]• Nesting[/b]: How likely people are to be attacked by minor monsters, and chance of a major monster event.
-Goes up by 1 after a delay of X weeks, where X is the current rating. 'Hunt Monsters' for your weekly action to reduce it.

[size=14pt]Skill Replacement[/size]
Skills can be replaced by a different skill of choice. You cannot get new powers if you have 3.[/spoiler]

[size=14pt]Credits[/size]
[spoiler]Game design: roseheart
Artwork: Naturegirl1999, roseheart
Special thanks to King Zultan, Failbird105, and Naturegirl1999 for testing.

You are welcome to use these instructions as a template for your own game.[/spoiler]

Version 0.0.0 (Indev)

Notes:
I originally explained you would have up to 3 powers which included skills and gifts, then this branched out into 3 of each for a total of 6. I am going back to 3, at least for now.
Version number will be listed in the bottom left of the OP.
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2020, 08:09:01 pm »

We are going to take a few days off (at least 2). When we do return it will be a new chapter in the story.

Thank you for testing, you know a little better what to expect from Hero Saga. If you decide to continue I will be glad to have you.
Awesome With Autism

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2020, 09:07:31 pm »

I will continue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6