Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Hero Saga: Out of Character Thread  (Read 6847 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Hero Saga: Out of Character Thread
« on: February 05, 2020, 11:46:11 pm »

IC/Game

By roseheart

Do you have what it takes to be the hero? As a citizen of Atlas who may have special skills or abilities(or not), you must protect humanity from rising crime and monster invasions.

You and your allies will patrol the districts of Atlas to stop crises as they develop, and investigate deeper problems under the surface. You must also take time to train, equip, and prepare. Each session has a theme with unique known and unknown challenges set in motion from the start. When the agents of chaos, corruption, and ruin come for their piece of Atlas, will you be ready?

The fate of humanity rests on your shoulders!

Summary
• 3 Players
• Cooperative (Mostly)
• Randomly Generated PCs
• 48 Hr Turn Limit
• Public OR Secret Actions
• Bastard Mechanics
• Plot-Centered Sessions
• Ongoing Experience

Overview
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Actions
Crisis Phase
Activity Phase

Credits

Version 0.0.2 (Indev)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:50:33 am by roseheart »
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Heroes
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 11:47:01 pm »

The story so far...
Aftermath
1. First District (indev) (current, full)

GM NOTES
Everything contained in this section is for my convenience.

WRITING TOOLS
NUMBER Random.org True Random Number Generator
WORD Random Word Generator
SENTENCE Random Sentence Generator
READER Natural Readers Free Text To Speech Online (for proof-checking)
CASE Convert Case

CHARACTER GENERATORS (please recommend alternatives you like)
GIFTS Rangen Super Power Generator
SKILLS Springhole Character Skills
APPEARANCE Rangen Quick Character Generator

CHARACTER SHEET (starting details will be randomized)
(Persona)
Identity:
Hero Status:
Wealth:
Residence:
Mental Status:

Power Score:
Quote from: Powers
1. Skill:
2. Gift:
Quote from: Gear
Quote from: Legacy
Quote from: Mental
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 10:54:26 pm by roseheart »
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 06:55:28 am »

I'm interested.

Also what kind of wikis are we going to be using in this, and why PM the turns of we're doing PvE?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 08:34:32 am »

I'm interested as well. Also I've got a whole list of wiki options I could send in that I've been using for my own wiki wars game.

I do have to question the reasoning for PM based turns when the players aren't working against eachother though.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 08:48:55 am by Failbird105 »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 10:51:40 am »

I’m interested too
I think the reason for PMed actions is because no one is telepathic

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 12:51:08 pm »

I mean, we could be, that's kind of the whole thing with wiki wars, you don't know what you'll get.

Also we could usually just like, talk to eachother.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 03:08:26 pm »

3 player spots open. Basically this is a pve wiki wars game where you are a hero. We'll see if this is fun and go from there...

First some clarifiers. PvE with potential for PvP maybe. I want to do PM based incase it goes that direction, so it can stay competitive and allow for interesting stealth based tactics.
I’m interested too
I think the reason for PMed actions is because no one is telepathic
That too.

I might not even use wiki's, I may instead use power generators (though at the moment the ones I found pool from a list of 100, which is lame) so I haven't found one I like **please recommend if you know any better ones, more randomized**. If you're heart is set on wiki based powers you may be disappointed, but it will be like a wiki war in that you have a random character. Unlike a wiki war, which is like one big battle, this game will focus on smaller skirmishes and making decisions with your down time.

I'll wait to see if someone wants to recommend a better power generator, then we'll start.

Edit: Inserted original op quote for posterity.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:41:29 pm by roseheart »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 05:48:04 pm »

I don’t care if the randomness if from wikis so long as it’s random, sadly I don’t use power generators so I can’t recommend a better one

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 08:52:59 pm »

Alright, update:

Based on your powers you will be assigned a "Power Score". If it is high enough, then you can autocomplete some tasks. Your powers may give bonuses to this score. You can preform stealth actions but your power score is cut in half. During an actual (non-autocompleted) encounter, things will play out similar to a wiki war battle, though streamlined to allow everyone to keep pace. Power Score does not effect these battles, and is only used to autocomplete tasks you are 'overpowered' for.

When you do something publicly, you post it in the IC thread. When you choose to do it privately you PM it to me. Any actions made publicly can be acknowledged by other players. If you wish to talk to another player privately, you must include me in the PM.

Powers take 2 main forms: GIFTS and SKILLS. You may get 1 power to start with, or you may be an unskilled ordinary human. There will be means to obtain both types of powers in addition to what you start with. Such as joining the Arbitors and receiving training and weapons, or allowing a corporation to experiment on you.

You can attempt to do what ever task you want, I just ask you stay relevant to the themes of the game.

Some basic examples of theme relevant tasks are:
-Investigate (detect crime)
-Hunt (track monsters)
-Assist (join another player)
-Train (improve skill)
-Buy (obtain gear, ect.)
-Contact (Respond to news offers)

These can be more specific to the events or stay this general. Make it clear if you are against killing or have instructions for auto complete scenarios. I will assume you behave lawfully by default.

WEALTH
A value from 0 to 5, you can spend wealth to improve actions.

LAWS
You cannot kill a human unless in self defense.
You cannot kill a monster that can speak unless in defense of human life.
Arbitors can kill a human that has committed a common sense crime (theft, violence, ect.) or worse and is unwilling to be detained or are obstructing justice.

DEATH
This will be fairly context sensitive, but generally if it can reasonably (and occasionally, unreasonably) be explained how you survived, you will.

There is a general warning in place that this game may have elements like a "bastard mafia", not only are new gameplay elements going to come up as the game evolves, there may be meta descriptions of powers, corperations, player actions, and more that are intentionally false. I am basically giving myself permission to lie to you. This is just that kind of game.

With all that said I have sent details to all 3 players: King Zultan, Failbird105, Naturegirl1999

Good luck. Have fun.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 01:23:42 pm »

I am imagining that this game could one day be a cohosting project, with different districts run by different people, to give them each their own flare. We'll see how D1 goes :)

I am going to wait for Failbird105 before I move forward, as both other actions can be resolved quickly.

Edit: Secretly restoring initial comment I shyly shelved away.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 01:03:53 pm by roseheart »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: (OOC) Hero Saga
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 11:18:09 am »

Resolve bolded events before taking your next turn.

I'm imagining a limit of about 3 powers, 3 skills, and 3 key items. I will only be tracking skills that would affect your power score.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 07:13:36 am »

Skills can be replaced by a different skill of choice. You cannot get new powers if you have 3. Might rework this to be the same pool of slots at a later point.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 08:20:29 pm »

How is the pace and gameplay working? Anything too limiting or frustrating? Next turn after Failbird105 posts their move.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 06:29:19 pm »

I have been using 2d3 for rolls with these outcomes and modifiers:

2 Bad
3 Poor
4 Decent
5 Good
6 Extra Good

Trivial (+1), Normal (+0), Hard (-1), Insane (-2).

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 12:54:26 pm »

I'm going to set a 48 hour turn limit on weekly actions, and 24 hour limit on live event actions. If you are skipped then I will not wait for you until you begin participating again. Exceptions can be made if requested, but I don't want to hold up the game in general. I will allow actions that are posted before I begin the update.

I am going to compile all this stuff at some point when I feel it out more. Need Naturegirl1999's live event action, I have all others' weekly action.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:11:15 pm by roseheart »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6