Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Monarchs 'entourage'  (Read 1024 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Monarchs 'entourage'
« on: October 15, 2023, 01:48:11 pm »

Studying some guides and info, I dived in what the royal entourage exactly means. Those are the folks that accompany your monarch when he arrives at your fortress. Besides this, he also brings some warriors, and those are still a mistery to me, but thats another question.
The 'entourage' may consist of consorts, a general, trade liason and as far as I know also barons, counts or dukes. So no special titles here. I guess, and this is what I'd like to discuss with you, is that these 'entourage' is nothing else as the civ-level nobles of your nation. Like every noble that is not bounded to a site. They need a place to live and same as the monarch, they live at the capital of their nation. which is now your fortress.
About the baron, duke and count: I think those guys just lost their occupation, because their lands were conquered by enemies and they just went back to live with the monarch.

But there's also the lieutenant, the diplomat and the captain. They are civ-level nobles too. Have you ever seen those show up as entourage?

Do you think that all civ-level nobles will take residence your fortress, when you become mountainhome?

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Monarchs 'entourage'
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 02:31:34 am »

About the 'missing' nobles: I guess they are traveling around in the world, fighting (captain, lieutenant) and talking (diplomat)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 11:35:05 am »

The monarch is accompanied by his spouse and trade liaison regardless of pop cap. The actual entourage is affected by pop cap though, and will not come if this cap is reached (which often happens at this stage). It's a good idea to have archive saves somewhere, and if such situation happens, go back to that last save, increase pop cap, and wait for the monarch: you should get all entourage with next try.

And this entourage is a word used loosely, in reality it accounts of a few high level fighters (four in my case, usually), and a bunch of different civilians (about 30 last time). Now, barons are not part of this, and they will visit you as always, as before the monarch came, and then go home. This also includes diplomat (who doesn't come with the king, unlike the outpost liaison), who will visit your inn from time to time, but then always leave. The same with general.

Some visitors can come and be stuck - I have such a baroness, and she hijacked my diplomacy, despite being initially lame as hell in this regard - all human and elven diplomats go to her, instead of either my king or my duchess. But she is somehow messed up, being a part of a government of CITY A, and being titled as baroness of CITY B, this happened about time when the duke of CITY A got whacked by goblins during visit in my fortress. She never leaves, but I cannot assign a room to her, so it's a bug.  Also some consorts may visit and actually become citizens of your fortress, after usual two years period. But I wouldn't count on counts (and barons and dukes). They will come and go, as tourists, or to visit they lovers (yeah, I have a fortress of sluts).

Now you mention lieutenant and captain - I don't think that lieutenant is a part of vanilla game in dwarves, while captains are associated with a particular city, not a civ. So you either have a modded game, or something strange happened.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 11:56:33 am »

Thanks for the answers.
If you check either the raws or the wiki, you'll find both lieutenant and captain. They have some characteristics  the same as the liason and general, thats why I thought of this.
Does the diplomat arrive with the king, or does he come and go?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 12:25:10 pm »

Thanks for the answers.
If you check either the raws or the wiki, you'll find both lieutenant and captain. They have some characteristics  the same as the liason and general, thats why I thought of this.
Does the diplomat arrive with the king, or does he come and go?

Hm, do you have an actual lieutenant in the civ screen?  Because that what I understood. Lieutenants do not exist, as far as I know, or at least did not exist until recently. They are in the raws, and were in older versions too, but I've never met one as an adventurer, and they definitely never existed in fortress mode. Lieutenant was supposed to be lower than general (who does exist), and above captains (who also do not exist in reality, and are different from city captains, as I initially assumed your captains are).

Diplomat never came with my king, including in v50, and visits from time to time. Actually, when my general died (of old age, I entombed him), he was replaced by someone else, and the same with diplomat. But replacements also do not settle.

Also regarding the first question about mountainhome - when a capital is upgraded to mountainhome, nothing actually seem to change regarding the visitors. The big change was when becoming a capital, then the king comes.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 08:26:28 am »

Alright thanks!
I think that lieutenants and captains exist 'in some way', but anyway don't show up as 'entourage'.
What I'am wondering, is what the compostition is of a dwarven siege. Probably they may be found there. I'll see if by testing I might find what the defining difference is between generals and the others.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2023, 03:01:25 pm »

Yup, I got it:-)

the problem with Lieutenant and Captain, are that their number isnt fixed. It is AS_NEEDED, so thats why they wont spawn :D hurray!

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2023, 02:45:39 pm »

I think lieutenants and captains do exist, just only ones created out thin air by sieges, they are never pre-existing historical figures.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2023, 02:36:50 am »

It seems that I was a little off in my previous comment. Its not exactly only the missing fixed number. I found some posts about this and it seems it has to do with the commanding-tag also.

In short:
When in war, a dwarven civilisation can always find enough LOCAL militia, that it doest need to have a NATIONAL army. so as the are not needed, the're also not created.

But Anyway back to the topic, I'm still convinced that the entourage is nothing less than the civ-level nobles.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2023, 05:21:04 am »

Entourage is civ-level nobles plus legendary soldiers, but it always consist of the spouse (consort) and liaison in my case, never of the dukes, counts, barons, which seem to come and go as visitors (just a they do before becoming a capital). I would be very interested if they settled down (because it would make game more challenging), but they never seem to do it. Even if they are barons of cities which do not exist any longer, because they were conquered by someone else.

Consort and liaison are not cap bound, legendary soldiers are, the same with any final wave of migrants.