Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Pathfinding is not a major cause of FPS death  (Read 54175 times)

stemps

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinding is not a major cause of FPS death
« Reply #225 on: March 15, 2023, 03:46:08 am »

Mac version will need a setup to compile on.

I'm happy to volunteer as a tester for early Mac builds. I have access to both Intel and Arm Macs.

Vadanarika

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 17, 2023, 11:24:24 am »

So does this mean that helix rampcases don't incur any FPS improvements over a central up/down staircase, and that we can make our fortresses as rib-structured as we'd like? Or do these have improvements for LOS as well?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 18, 2023, 11:30:01 pm »

Helix rampcases without a central hole are significantly better than staircases, since dwarves can see up and down stairs

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
PTW
« Reply #228 on: April 10, 2023, 02:17:09 am »

Actually this thread is kinda classic example about one old computer science proverb: optimizing before profiling is worst idea. Just as clear and perfect as it can be.
1%, my god, i can't belive in it.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2023, 01:15:35 am »

Native Linux version seems to be working now, but thorough testing is quite difficult, so look forward to that. Mac version will need a setup to compile on.

Did you fix the concurrency issues? Are you getting a Mac mini or a MacBook Air? If you want to save some money, you might consider buying a Apple refurbished model. They look new, and I think they include the same warranty as if they were new. https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac

If you get a laptop, I recommend getting a model that includes MagSafe, such as the M2 MacBook Air. That feature has saved me a lot. I often forget to unplug it or accidentally put some force on the plug.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 01:19:18 am by jecowa »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2023, 08:48:45 am »

Native Linux version seems to be working now, but thorough testing is quite difficult, so look forward to that. Mac version will need a setup to compile on.

Did you fix the concurrency issues? Are you getting a Mac mini or a MacBook Air? If you want to save some money, you might consider buying a Apple refurbished model. They look new, and I think they include the same warranty as if they were new. https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac

If you get a laptop, I recommend getting a model that includes MagSafe, such as the M2 MacBook Air. That feature has saved me a lot. I often forget to unplug it or accidentally put some force on the plug.

Is DF being ported to run on MacOS on the Apple M-series processors?  Any possibility of a general ARM port for Linux?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2023, 01:33:24 pm »

1. maybe
2. maybe

we're not using any hilarious architecture-specific intrinsics so you don't have to worry about that

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 18, 2023, 07:58:41 am »

Does the Beta branch currently available on Steam include the Linux build, or will it run the Windows beta via Steam Proton?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 23, 2023, 10:06:26 pm »

No and yes

Urist McNobody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 04, 2023, 10:42:44 am »

> Helix rampcases without a central hole are significantly better than staircases, since dwarves can see up and down stairs

Do hatches block line of sight?  Do glass hatches and doors block line of sight?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 04, 2023, 10:51:46 am »

Pretty certain they block line of sight when closed, regardless of material.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]