Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32

Author Topic: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 108034 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2020, 11:19:07 am »

vjek provide the math, but you're probably better off thinking about how much room you want for your fortress plus whatever resources you hope to dig out. Caverns are largely empty space (from an ore/gem/stone perspective), and so provide much less resources than a solid layer, and is much trickier to use for digging out a fortress (settling in a cavern is perfectly doable, though).

I set "Z Levels Above Layer 1" to 15, which usually provides a decent amount of room for a fortress of the modest sizes I typically make. "Typically" because you occasionally get aquifer rock, which cuts down on the easily usable levels, and that can stretch down into the first cavern if you're unlucky). Also note that I don't expect to find any ores (very poor worlds), so that's not a consideration for me.

Thus: Soil, typically 4 levels, aquifer leaking from the 4:th typically makes the 5:th unusable, X levels of fortress, Y levels of nice resources (hopefully).
Also, I recommend at least 3 levels between the 3:rd (or only) cavern and the magma sea to allow you to dig between them without wet/hot stone cancellations all the time (and two levels between caverns for both the wet stone reason and because I definitely don't want tree holes into my tunnels when I start logging the caverns).

SwiftBird

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2020, 09:35:52 am »

Does anyone have any tips on creating a super dense world?  Ideally I'm looking for a world with:
  • Tons of historical figures (10k+)
  • 1-2 Civs of each race
  • Roughly balanced populations of each race (no worlds overrun with goblins)
  • Lots and Lots of Necro Towers
And a nice embark with
  • Tons of Steel and Candy
  • In the mountains
  • A short distance (1-3 days travel) from all of the above
  • Bonus: On a road or tunnel or something
I've tried playing around and I can get necro towers in dead worlds, or dense worlds with no towers, but it's hard to get both.
Steel and Candy are pretty straightforward - just jack up mineral prevalence and LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4.

Anyone know what to tweak to get that density?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2020, 09:42:04 am »

Worldgen doesnt really work like that.

we can only set the conditions, we cant ensure anything after the world starts.

Ensuring that all pops survive is a matter of luck, geography, and running several seeds.

Try upping the population and site caps, running the world for longer, running smaller worlds to reduce the strain on your computer, and increasing the amount of civs generated.

if youre willing to edit raws you could mod each entity to start with more pops, and give them better biome support.
Some civs will just be warlike, and others will be passive.  Elves tend to do poorly in dense atmospheres, and dwarves tend to be outnumbered and ground down through attrition over time.  Necromancers will do an excellent job of killing civs too, if you let them get too strong.

Reducing the number of beasts and the amount of savagery will let civs expand faster and grant them survivability.  Likewise, evil will slow them down, as will the various boogeymen.  Mineral density has a relatively small impact on worldgen, so go nuts.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:43:42 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2020, 02:11:22 pm »

Current version necros aren't the same as older ones; the towers contain more than 100-200 zombies, and they do snowballing zombie apocalypse wars during wg.

So I'd say  improbable in .47.

I'd suggest building 1 peaceful larger/distant continent and 1 warlike dense continent (some necros will travel over ocean so may take some attempts). After worldgen, connect the two with immediatelly abandoned embark. Use raids/tribute requests to make contact.

Also, you meant 10k alive  hist figs right?

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2020, 06:13:45 pm »

How force necros to make more experiments?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2020, 02:44:50 am »

How force necros to make more experiments?
You can't. More necros means more chances for experiments, which is what you have to bet on (and try to balance against the tendency of eliminate all normal population). Longer history means more necros and more time for necros to experiment, for example.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2020, 09:36:21 am »

65x65, Small. For 1-3d raid travels.

Oceans, Glacials, and Mtns, keep to a minimum as they prevent traveling and make cave exploration impossible. Lots more historical figures, can be obtained by raising the megabeast numbers and of course raising the years of history generated.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2020, 02:05:02 pm »

Does anyone have any tips on creating a super dense world?  Ideally I'm looking for a world with:
  • Tons of historical figures (10k+)
  • 1-2 Civs of each race
  • Roughly balanced populations of each race (no worlds overrun with goblins)
  • Lots and Lots of Necro Towers
And a nice embark with
  • Tons of Steel and Candy
  • In the mountains
  • A short distance (1-3 days travel) from all of the above
  • Bonus: On a road or tunnel or something
I've tried playing around and I can get necro towers in dead worlds, or dense worlds with no towers, but it's hard to get both.
Steel and Candy are pretty straightforward - just jack up mineral prevalence and LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4.

Anyone know what to tweak to get that density?
While this doesn't meet all your requirements, it has some..
2k histfigs
>140 of each race
6 towers in range
more candy than iron on the embark (>6000)
steel friendly (magnetite, marble, coal)
2x2
flat
three caverns
rocky wasteland
clay
sand
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As the others have already mentioned, towers can have >750 animated per tower, so if it's volume/quantity of undead enemies you're looking for, more towers isn't always necessary.
If this is kind of what you're looking for, you can expand the PSV areas assigned to each race, and the total number of civs, to get more of them.

Dushan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2020, 10:45:37 am »

Hello! I want to play with glass above ground.  I dont know how flexible the world generator is or if this is feasible but:

Need
-Surface magma (aesthetics, like a pool of it at surface level or only 1 or 2 below, I want to turn it into a lakeish feature)
-sand (only need a tiny bit, just for glass making)
-heavily 'forested' (any above ground wood type that can reproduce naturally) 
-friends! (would like trade with varied races)

would like (not necessity)
-water somewhere easy to get to, play with/drink major projects. 
-rock crystal for obvious glass related reasons

Would love some sort of, like...pipe of magma so it has sheer sides. I dont think thats a real feature so a volcano I can shave down to base z-level just leaving the core would also be nice.  But volcano's are mountains and I dont think you can get heavily forested Volcano's or sand in mountain terrain. Im really not sure.

Ive played multiple forts before so I anything else I can handle evil/good/hot/cold/aquifers/salt water, basically whatever.  I dont even care about metals or flux or any of that.  Just want something different, above ground constructs with wood and glass, lots and lots of glass...

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2020, 12:00:34 pm »

Dushan,

Is this too much verticality, regarding the magma/volcano/sheer-sides features you're looking for?

Dushan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 27, 2020, 02:52:55 pm »

Not at all, thats beautiful.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 27, 2020, 11:26:53 pm »

I think this one matches, then..  forests, volcano pipe/spire, elves, dwarfs, humans, yellow sand (at embark level), rock crystal, water in the caverns (and a pool on the surface).
And over 100Z of exposed volcanic spire, too.  :o
Spoiler: dushan1 (click to show/hide)

Dushan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2020, 09:10:24 am »

Simply awesome.  Thank you!

DerSchlund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2020, 05:49:04 pm »

So I tried to understand why the cavern in the worlds generated with the parameters from the init/world_gen.txt (Small Region, Small island etc.) are so damn near the surface in comparison with the worlds from the standard "Create new world" option.
I compared the world_gen parameters side by site, but even with the help from the wiki I don't understand.

Am I the only one who has the problem with the magma sea at about Z-level 120?

Greetings, DerSchlund

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2020, 06:18:30 pm »

Do you want the caverns to be near the surface, or would you prefer they be deeper?
Personally, I prefer 'thin' worlds, that is, those that have the fewest Z-levels between embark and magma.  However, opinions vary, and so do the options. :)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32