Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32

Author Topic: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 108099 times)

bucketsofbuckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2020, 01:51:04 pm »

True evilness from the first page. Only one tower, but that's all I could manage. I tried the FROZEN VOLCANO from the first page, but lacking a seed, I couldn't get a very evil world. So, I messed with an export of one until I did. Two of the volcano sites are in evil biomes (for the life of me I can't get the 3rd one evil, without changing geography), and there are many areas with reanimation, evil clouds, etc.. Only dwarves and goblins are left as civs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2020, 02:38:45 pm »

The frequncies are all 1s. I see this often in vjeks 17x17s. Why do you guys do that?

Unless your using PerfectWorld, set those up. Afterall, you have it set to use a mesh, first 1 is using the lowest mesh. Here I've corrected it. Also, set peak to 0. A peak is a wasted block in a frozen world with limited area, which could be that 3rd volcano.

You'll prolly have a Magma cannon, so cap the Savagery.

[SAVAGERY:80:100:26:26]

Then,

[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:20:20:20:20:20]
   [RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:20:20:20:20:20]
   [DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:40:40:20:0:0]
   [TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:100:0:0:0:0]
   [SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:0:0:0:0:100]
   [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:0:0:0:25:75]

Also, EVIL_SQ_COUNTS is a bit off the rocker, try 100 small regions, 0 and 0 for other sizes, 289 max.  Others are irrelevant.

I'd monitor rejects. Set subregions to 250. Then dial up to the smallest reported subregion from reject log. Then reroll the spline. Fewer subregions, are desired for topside magma gameplay, they say.

Good luck, 1000 evil clouds, OMG! Build a roof FAST.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2020, 05:51:27 pm »

All vjek's 17x17 use PSVs; "Perfectworld", if you will. All 1s is the default parameters for "Mesh off" if you look into your world_gen.txt in fresh download. (Though really, PSVs are functionally lot like having a mesh size that matches the number of squares in your world.)

Why avoid glaciers? (with that drainage frequency)

Not seeing much point in having a mesh that is just all one option (temperature, savagery). Also, 60-80 volcanism is pointless for volcanoes; it's exactly 100 volcanism or bust as prerequisite for placing one.

An evil region will only ever have 1 interaction attached to it, so 1000 evil clouds in pocket is more about minimizing blood rain/ability to hack df to swap the cloud to one you prefer on your embark if you want something obscure.

I'd also disable subregion rejects entirely unless you want them.

bucketsofbuckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2020, 08:41:37 pm »

The frequncies are all 1s. I see this often in vjeks 17x17s. Why do you guys do that?
If I start from scratch, I use meshes and weights. I really liked the geography and resources of several sites with the given seed, except that there was hardly any evil in my RNG seeds, using the original params, so I tried to keep from affecting the geography, and went back to params on rejects.

Good luck, 1000 evil clouds, OMG! Build a roof FAST.
That's the idea. It'll also only have dwarf caravans, but it may be too dangerous to let them in...

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2020, 12:44:42 am »

I see. I didnt catch Buckets was using PW. Gotcha. Makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

DerSchlund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2020, 04:05:45 am »

Quote from: vjek
Do you want the caverns to be near the surface, or would you prefer they be deeper?
Personally, I prefer 'thin' worlds, that is, those that have the fewest Z-levels between embark and magma.  However, opinions vary, and so do the options.

Ultimately I want to experiment with it.... so I want to understand how to make "thin" or "thick" worlds.
One thing I prefer is a minimum of 5 z-levels of stone between the caverns, but as far as I know, that can be accomplished with the [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:<number>] (and 2, 3, etc) parameter.
But how do I set the Magma-Layer on... say z-level 80?
Also... can I adjust the caverns to be max 3 z-levels tall?

Greetings, DerSchlund

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2020, 10:23:24 am »

You're correct about the levels_above_layer settings.  Those adjust how many z-layers are between particular features.
If you have a certain number of caverns (1,2,3 or 0 if you mod raws for above ground farming) then you can control how much is between them.
If the embark is flat, and there are no other influencing features of the world/embark, then you can set certain depths exactly.
However, certain things you can't control directly.  You can't set the cavern heights directly. 
You can influence how tall they are with a few different features, but typically, they're always going to be the same height (5-6 I believe), in a flat embark.

Essentially, to make something like have magma appear on a given Z-level, you would ... you know, I have a post where I just did this..  :D
That shows you the math for a very thin world.  If you wanted magma deeper, then simply increasing the levels_above_layer settings where appropriate would accomplish that goal.

The actual Z-level that is the embark level will vary by world.  In worlds with an ocean depth, or an ocean at all, it will be different than without.
For that reason, most references you see in this thread or similar refer to the embark level (ground level, where the wagon appears in a 100% flat embark) when describing how high or deep something is.  As in 'such-and-such mountain was 120Z high' means 120Z higher than the embark level, which could be anywhere from 100-149. (off the top of my head, again, it will vary by world, iirc)

bucketsofbuckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 31, 2020, 04:07:26 pm »

I see. I didnt catch Buckets was using PW. Gotcha. Makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up.
No PW, just advanced world parameters.
Code: [Select]
[SEED:H9N9AEvkByrndnjnLoKn]I was trying to keep what the geography-creating parameters gave me with that. The given params in the by the original poster, DrCyano, were still RNG dependent (no SEED lines). That means very little messing around with a lot of the parameters, including all of the basic rain, elevation, volcanism, savagery, etc.. While it failed on evil, it did a good job on giving a lot of cold weather, and interesting sites (steep hills, very deep caverns, lairs, lakes, and so on, with a lot of features and variety inside of 2x2 embarks).

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2020, 01:11:12 pm »

Not sure if I would bother using a seed, from a PW worldgen, on a default worldgen. Lotsa additional trailering code from PW is missing.

Your strategy got me rethinking a default 17x17's worldgen. After 17 versions, and many tweaks, I got something to try. So while watching Gone in 60seconds on DVD, I let a playable frozen volcano roll out, it slowly rolled out to 1050yr.

Some interesting features. A Zombie Dragon titan, unknown force created it. But it failed to score a lair and died in yr5, boo! 0 mtn caves, 17 nonmtn caves. Breeding semimegas, Giant kids, lol. 0 oceans, 0 peaks, 0 rivers, but still got humans. No elves, no mermaids, either. 48.3million events. 3 surface volcanos. 4 animal man societies, no Lion man. Just weak animal man societies. Temperature extremes, with 2x2 mesh on all catagories.

In hindsight generating 48.3 million events, made loading Legends awful. But there is some interesting Titans to research.

Might watch another movie and let another long history roll out, tonight.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2020, 03:53:54 pm »

Anyone have territories with mixed good and evil surroundings? I embark on one and want more.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2020, 05:11:17 pm »

Anyone have territories with mixed good and evil surroundings? I embark on one and want more.
Joyous Wilds and Sinister in a 2x2, with some other encroaching biomes on the edges, too.
Steel Friendly, Temporary Syndrome Rain, Re-animation, Sand, Clay, Forest/Taiga, Temperate/Cold, entirely flat embark, a small surface river.
Glumprongs, Feather Trees, Sliver Barbs, Sun Berries.
It is possible to get more bubble bulbs, downy grass, wormy tendrils and staring eyeballs on the surface, it would just take more time to find.
Embark is Z149, magma at Z135, cavern from Z140-136 inclusive.
Spoiler: RIAKTOR_1 (click to show/hide)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2020, 10:55:30 pm »

@Buckets, here is a default 17x17, meant to be played, no Perfect World code. Its interesting, in that it reaches 10000yrs, with relative ease, most times with a dwarf civ.  Longer history equals greater evil.

Some highlights:
°A necro raised a titan in yr 488 and the Age changed, immediately back into Myth.
°Enough temp range, for all Vjeks researched diversity, yet still safe in areas of desire.
°Big open caverns(boon for monster slayers/hunters) an teensie weensie space saving lairs. Enough water for a well, but not so much, it bogs down the badguys.
°Cropped subregion to 200 and lowered civ size -7000, for a speedy history tick.

Enjoy. Copy and Paste spoiler at the end of your worldgen.txt in the /init folder.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Changing Demon from 1 to a 3, will have the effect of flooding the map with circles(dark fortresses, I think). At the end of all that history, that wasnt what I wanted. Maybe try a 2, if Goblins seem scarce. But anymore will 3+ tends to lopside the civ vs civ balance.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:12:18 pm by knutor »

bucketsofbuckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2020, 11:00:20 pm »

Not sure if I would bother using a seed, from a PW worldgen, on a default worldgen. Lotsa additional trailering code from PW is missing.
AFAICT, PW was never involved. The original poster just let the RNG do its thing, but didn't have enough params set to guarantee the evilness of the results. I wanted a resulting world's geography, just without the easy first couple years.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2020, 11:14:12 pm »

Hard to tell, unless he said so. Some PW code blocks exceed our posting data limits.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2020, 07:33:50 pm »

A good world for learning the basics of DF, for ringworm24.

Risks that are present:
-dwarves dying due to lack of food/water/drink
-dwarves going mental/crazy/suicidal due to lack of met needs/wants or just plain mental illness.
-after you open the caverns, forgotten beasts and cavern denizens/wildlife
-on the surface, some savagely wild/giant animals.

Risks that aren't present:
-Humans, Elves, Goblins, Kobolds, Titans, Semi/Megabeasts, Vampires, Werewolves, Necromancers
-Candy/Clowns/HFS

Features: flat embark, stream, aboveground crops & trees, dry/bloodthorn caverns, no aquifer, flux, sand, clay, iron, coal, grassland, giant creatures/wildlife

Things you can do..
Glass Industry
Pottery Industry
Wood Industry
Metal / Steel Industry
Hunting & Fishing
Above and below ground Farming
Domestic animal industry
Capturing/Taming
Replace all the clothing of your dwarves
Try out various types of weapons & armor against wildlife
Setup traps & death-hallways of various types for the caverns/FB's
Build raising/lowering drawbridges to protect your fort from the cavern threats
Build mastercraft blood thorn beds and great bedrooms for all your dwarves
Spoiler: learning_world (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32