Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32

Author Topic: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 107992 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #225 on: December 24, 2020, 04:15:14 pm »

Ok, I think this one matches, Machinist, and.. the worldgen (without seeds) will generate a lot of matches without too much trouble if this one isn't to your liking. 
One thing I will note that is a bit.. atypical in my experience is, this worldgen doesn't always have goblins coming out on top, despite having quite a lot of demons, comparatively. 
If you decide to generate your own versions of this world, and you don't see 10k+ goblins in the world populations, you likely won't have Goblin contact on embark.  Even if you see 1-2k goblins, from the worlds I saw, no Goblin contact on embark.
I haven't picked a specific embark because there are a few matches (highlighted in green).  I think the southmost one is the 'best' match, but I'm sure opinions will vary.
You can also try increasing the titan/semi/mega's if you're feeling lucky.  :D

Spoiler: machinist1 (click to show/hide)

MudSoakedReacher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 27, 2020, 07:15:33 pm »

Does anyone have a world that has an evil volcano that is also a lair?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 27, 2020, 07:21:01 pm »

I've never seen anything in DF live inside a volcano other than fire imps and magma crabs.
Clowns, FB, Titans, and similar magma-proof entities, of course, will path through them given no other choice, but lair entrances (that I've seen) typically start on the surface of soil/rock layers or are in mountain/non-mountain 'surface' caves.
I haven't personally ever seen a lair generated in a volcano or on a volcano tile, but.. that doesn't mean it can't or doesn't happen.

Thatguy65790

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 31, 2020, 02:55:15 pm »

Hello newish player here with a few questions and a request if you will.
First i already have a world i kinda liked but i want to restart it is there a way to rewind or regen it exactly as it was? I do not know if i used advanced world gen or regular to make it if that helps or hurts.
Second You cannot send out raids with a dead civ right? If i were to start, retire a fort and then make a new fort could that new fort send out raids?
Third question do you have any tips on generating worlds with dead or dying civs but still has humans or elves alive and definitely has goblins?
Final and kinda for fun question is there a way to be the first and only dwarven civilization? Im sure this would be tricky but does seem fun.
As for my request can i get a pocket or smaller world with a dead or dying civ, an ocean on one side of the map, 2 volcanoes, goblins, human or elves still alive only need 1 of them prefer both, just a few megas, semis and a titan or two, only 1 cavern layer that has water and trees, As for the embark can i get a 3x3 that has some savage area, is steel or bronze friendly, has trees, and has a water source (River, brook, or light aquifer)
Sorry if this is a bit much, thanks

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 31, 2020, 04:21:02 pm »

Hello newish player here with a few questions and a request if you will.
First i already have a world i kinda liked but i want to restart it is there a way to rewind or regen it exactly as it was? I do not know if i used advanced world gen or regular to make it if that helps or hurts.
Second You cannot send out raids with a dead civ right? If i were to start, retire a fort and then make a new fort could that new fort send out raids?
Third question do you have any tips on generating worlds with dead or dying civs but still has humans or elves alive and definitely has goblins?
Final and kinda for fun question is there a way to be the first and only dwarven civilization? Im sure this would be tricky but does seem fun.
As for my request can i get a pocket or smaller world with a dead or dying civ, an ocean on one side of the map, 2 volcanoes, goblins, human or elves still alive only need 1 of them prefer both, just a few megas, semis and a titan or two, only 1 cavern layer that has water and trees, As for the embark can i get a 3x3 that has some savage area, is steel or bronze friendly, has trees, and has a water source (River, brook, or light aquifer)
Sorry if this is a bit much, thanks
1) Yes.  Enter Legends mode for that save/world, and press 'p' to export the required files to regenerate it from scratch back to its original form.

2) It's buggy, for certain.  Someone else will have to provide more details, not my area of experience.  I can only confirm that with a dead civ, an attempted raid (today) failed to return for me (in 47.04).

3) Yes, I've just been doing that for a personal project.  Tips... is tricky.. there's a variety of ways that all dwarven civs die off.  Some things can increase the likelihood.  An increase in danger is certainly one way.  That danger can be hostile civs, titans, FBs, semi/mega beasts, and more.  However, even just one FB showing up early in history can wipe out a dwarven civ, regardless of all other features, so.. it can happen in almost any world, if there is only one dwarven civ being generated.  Of course, to ensure that is relatively straight forward, just create one place where it can appear, and you only get one.  In my experience, if there are zero living dwarves in world_sites_and_pops.txt and zero dwarven historical figures, you have >99% chance that all dwarven civs are dead (not just dying).  Dying civs are pretty easy, just find a world with some dwarven histfigs and zero living dwarves.

4) Yes, a bit further to the answer to (3) is:  Create a single 300 elevation tile that is non-savage.  Set your cavern water to 15/15.  Set the number of civs to one, and only a dwarven civ will be created.  You an have zero, tens or hundreds of other (non-dwarven) civs, if desired.

Nothing too tricky in your request, I'll work on it today.

Thatguy65790

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 31, 2020, 05:24:18 pm »

1) Yes.  Enter Legends mode for that save/world, and press 'p' to export the required files to regenerate it from scratch back to its original form.

2) It's buggy, for certain.  Someone else will have to provide more details, not my area of experience.  I can only confirm that with a dead civ, an attempted raid (today) failed to return for me (in 47.04).

3) Yes, I've just been doing that for a personal project.  Tips... is tricky.. there's a variety of ways that all dwarven civs die off.  Some things can increase the likelihood.  An increase in danger is certainly one way.  That danger can be hostile civs, titans, FBs, semi/mega beasts, and more.  However, even just one FB showing up early in history can wipe out a dwarven civ, regardless of all other features, so.. it can happen in almost any world, if there is only one dwarven civ being generated.  Of course, to ensure that is relatively straight forward, just create one place where it can appear, and you only get one.  In my experience, if there are zero living dwarves in world_sites_and_pops.txt and zero dwarven historical figures, you have >99% chance that all dwarven civs are dead (not just dying).  Dying civs are pretty easy, just find a world with some dwarven histfigs and zero living dwarves.

4) Yes, a bit further to the answer to (3) is:  Create a single 300 elevation tile that is non-savage.  Set your cavern water to 15/15.  Set the number of civs to one, and only a dwarven civ will be created.  You an have zero, tens or hundreds of other (non-dwarven) civs, if desired.

Nothing too tricky in your request, I'll work on it today.
Thank you and here is the world i used a while ago if anyone is interested its a pocket world with a main continent and a small 7 tile island that has a volcano, dying civ One dark fortress on the island, Mainland has goblins, two necro towers and human neighbors according to embark assistant a few semis are still alive according to legends. Also in a few game years when i was playing this map it will enter into the age of goblins.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 05:46:11 pm by Thatguy65790 »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 31, 2020, 06:51:18 pm »

... As for my request can i get a pocket or smaller world with a dead or dying civ, an ocean on one side of the map, 2 volcanoes, goblins, human or elves still alive only need 1 of them prefer both, just a few megas, semis and a titan or two, only 1 cavern layer that has water and trees, As for the embark can i get a 3x3 that has some savage area, is steel or bronze friendly, has trees, and has a water source (River, brook, or light aquifer) ...
Here's a match:
Has a light aquifer, sand, clay, three iron bearing ores, flux, coal, and lignite, along with HFS.
Is an Untamed Wilds Badlands with a stream, trees and shrubs on the surface.
Has a single cavern with underground plants and mushroom trees.
Has Humans, Elves, and Goblins as embark neighbors, with ~5k goblins.
Is a dead dwarven civ.
World map has two ocean edges, is a pocket world, and has two volcanoes.
There are 3 megas, 3 semis, and 2 titans.
As a bonus, you also got a 'stretched' single cavern, that runs from Z-Level 87 down to Z-Level 52, 35Z in height, rather than the typical 5Z.
Spoiler: Thatguy65790 (click to show/hide)

Thatguy65790

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 31, 2020, 07:00:43 pm »

Here's a match:
Has a light aquifer, sand, clay, three iron bearing ores, flux, coal, and lignite, along with HFS.
Is an Untamed Wilds Badlands with a stream, trees and shrubs on the surface.
Has a single cavern with underground plants and mushroom trees.
Has Humans, Elves, and Goblins as embark neighbors, with ~5k goblins.
Is a dead dwarven civ.
World map has two ocean edges, is a pocket world, and has two volcanoes.
There are 3 megas, 3 semis, and 2 titans.
As a bonus, you also got a 'stretched' single cavern, that runs from Z-Level 87 down to Z-Level 52, 35Z in height, rather than the typical 5Z.
Spoiler: Thatguy65790 (click to show/hide)
Thank you vjek! thats perfect.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 01, 2021, 06:16:22 am »

Dead civs: As mentioned, "raids" sent by truly dead civs will leave the embark and then never progress from there. Note that messengers are "raids" as well for the purpose of this logic, while exiled dorfs actually do move to a location of their chosing when just exiled. I'm unsure if sending to a holding works, but think it might as well.

Retiring/abandoning fortresses and then creating new ones does not seem to revive dead civs. I believe it's possible to spread a dead civ with new fortresses and then hack the civ to a live state for a new embark to actually belong to a civ that isn't dead, but haven't actually proven it (hacking a dead civ before the first embark can make it a live one, as that's been tested).

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 02, 2021, 08:27:06 pm »

I suggest a world.

No bigger than Smaller. As much, as possible: night trolls, bogeyman, nightmares, towers, experiments, enemies (if dwarves will be in war with both humans and elves, it will be the best). No werebeasts and not many vampires. Elves live in good region, goblins live in evil regions. Embark on night troll lair with full family (both wife and husband, possible with children).

UristVanHelsing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 02, 2021, 11:15:42 pm »

Can I request someone help me with an adventure world? I'm looking for a large world, mostly one continent, but some outlying islands are ok. Lots of civ variety and lots of semi-megabasts, megabeasts, Titans, FBs, everything. Lots of cities of every kind. I'm kind of ok at basic advanced worldgen, but the stuff I struggle with is getting the ratio of interesting monsters to landmass right. I'm also looking for a longish history ~550 years because I want LOTS of artifacts. Because of the long history, I'm not sure what to do about the civs, because I don't want the history length to mean that one civ takes over all the others. In terms of ratios, I want as close to and even split between dwarves elves, goblins, and humans.

Summary: LOTS OF EVERYTHING, but I don't know how to make the ratios work
You could always spread it around and paint the floor of your house with the blood of your enemies.
You could very well go for a Christmas themed house, all green and red from blood and vomit. Deck the halls with spilled intestines. Fa la la la la, la la la la!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 03, 2021, 03:35:29 am »

@UristVanHelsing: What's the max pop site you will accept? Because I know advmode sites with 10k population are not really visitable, and that's what will happen if you leave dark fortress to stand for two centuries. Would be kinda sucky to have all the artifacts just out of reach.

UristVanHelsing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 04, 2021, 12:46:22 am »

@UristVanHelsing: What's the max pop site you will accept? Because I know advmode sites with 10k population are not really visitable, and that's what will happen if you leave dark fortress to stand for two centuries. Would be kinda sucky to have all the artifacts just out of reach.
I have a i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz. What's the highest pop I can have an still have decent frames? I suspect something like 2k? I have no idea.
You could always spread it around and paint the floor of your house with the blood of your enemies.
You could very well go for a Christmas themed house, all green and red from blood and vomit. Deck the halls with spilled intestines. Fa la la la la, la la la la!

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 07, 2021, 03:02:47 pm »

Hello guys !

So i was thinking about getting back to DF, haven't played for a while. So i'm looking for a cool map.

I want to experiment with canyons, the larger / taller the better ! 

A bonus would be to have all 4 races as neighbors. And the cherry on top of it would be a volcano but i know the combination of the volcano and waterfalls is a bit tricky, so it's optional.

Anyone can work his magic to find something like that ? Thanks in advance, you guys are heroes !

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 07, 2021, 03:50:01 pm »

Nevrast,

You're best bet for canyons is to increase river generation and lower erosion cycle counts. Look for the intersection of two rivers, and at that confluence you are likely to find tall cliffs and waterfalls. If you are lucky and can find an intersection of 3 or more, the terrain will be all kinds of craziness.

Another location where I have found tall cliffs is lakeside embarks. In the embark screen, make sure you have the relative heightmap display selected, and look for a lake nearby an intersection of biomes. The lake's elevation should be flat and dark blue, and you are looking for terrain directly adjacent to the water that is at least 3 relative-height levels higher. This will generate an embark with tall, lakeside cliffs - perfect for that scenic fortress location, and less laggy than a river. I think.

Of note are volcanoes, however they often generate extremely tall embarks that can lead to annoying terrain (too many z-levels makes it tough to locate units or witness fights). Look for volcanoes with middling height for best results.

You would think that river valleys would create interesting terrain, but world gen seems to apply a terrain-flattening effect after rivers are generated, leading to rather boring 3-tile space around any given river or stream, regardless of flow rate or surrounding terrain. This effect explains why two rivers meeting generates such interesting terrain: the game is attempting to flatten terrain but runs into a problem with the relative height, and is forced to generate cliffs and waterfalls to explain the difference. So it appears to me, at the very least.

Here is an example of how I use the embark screen to find interesting cliffs:

Anyways, I know I didn't generate a world or anything, but I hope you find these tips useful when looking for that perfect embark.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32