Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32

Author Topic: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 107985 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #240 on: January 07, 2021, 03:55:22 pm »

Hello guys !

So i was thinking about getting back to DF, haven't played for a while. So i'm looking for a cool map.

I want to experiment with canyons, the larger / taller the better ! 

A bonus would be to have all 4 races as neighbors. And the cherry on top of it would be a volcano but i know the combination of the volcano and waterfalls is a bit tricky, so it's optional.

Anyone can work his magic to find something like that ? Thanks in advance, you guys are heroes !
Haven't tried a canyon/volcano embark in a while, so I'll make the attempt.  If not, I'll at least make it so it's less than 20Z to magma, from the lower river.
As you know, sheer vertical cliff canyons (that I know of) are most reliably formed at the junction of two rivers.  So, there will be a river forming the bottom of the canyon. 
And of course, likely a waterfall from the upper canyon, although it might be possible to exclude that from the embark, depending on how it's formed.

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 07, 2021, 06:19:41 pm »

Yes that would be ideal, with the bottom river being a bit large if possible ! I want to try to build a fortress on both sides with several bridges and use the upper stream to form an aqueduct.

Thanks Vjek !

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 07, 2021, 07:44:10 pm »

Something like this, Nevrast?
That's one region wide E/W, 3 regions tall N/S.

Also something like this is possible. (1 x 1)

And a third choice..
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 11:43:59 pm by vjek »

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 08, 2021, 08:49:21 am »

Yeah something like n°1 ! Any chance on the volcano ?  i know it's the most difficult part  :-X

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 08, 2021, 10:54:18 am »

Generating the canyons, not a problem.  Getting the neighbors, shouldn't be too bad either.   Creating the volcanoes, also no problem, it's just the method of creating the canyons often necessitates having very high elevation next to very low elevation, and when you add a volcano to very high elevation, it has the tendency to drive up adjacent diagonal tile elevation, affecting the path of the river(s).  But we'll see, I should have a result, if a result can be had, some time today.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 08, 2021, 01:42:28 pm »

Yeah something like n°1 ! Any chance on the volcano ?  i know it's the most difficult part  :-X
First, here's a world and embark with some of your requirements met..
Humans, Dwarves, Goblin neighbors (Elves absolutely refuse to spawn in this world, for whatever reason I can't figure out)
Magma is ~10Z from the canyon-river bottom. Bottom of the river is Z98, magma forges can be built on Z88.
Sand, Clay, Fire Clay, Untamed Wilds.
Unfortunately, the worldgen entry is too large to post here (The message exceeds the maximum allowed length) so I'll put it on pastebin and link it.
As always, you can randomize the history/name/creature seeds if you want to try for different neighbors/civs.
Spoiler: Nevrast-River-Canyon (click to show/hide)
Second, some more details about attempting to put a volcano in the path of a very large river canyon..
If I set one world tile to volcanism 100, and set the number of volcanoes to 1, it completely changes the entire world for river flow.  It's actually pretty amazing how much that single change causes.
Even so, I tried a few different methods that I could think of to force it, and I have never seen it run the river on the same world tile as the volcano.  It will run them adjacent, but never together.
The worldgen engine is willing to reroute every water feature / water flow in the entire 65x65 world to avoid doing that, so.. if it's possible, it's not possible using any method I have come up with or seen before.  Doesn't mean it's not possible, though.  :D

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 08, 2021, 02:04:31 pm »

It's possible to hack rivers in an existing world, but then you have to first generate the world, then hack it, and then embark (you can't save a world while in the embark stage, although it is possible to hack the world before accepting it, assuming it's a world tile hack and not a Mid Level Tile one [changes to the latter aren't saved when they go out of scope]).

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 08, 2021, 04:56:59 pm »

i'm trying to make a large world with one megacontinent and one huge mountainridge for modding purposes, any tips on how to achieve this? i dont want any ridges besides that

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 08, 2021, 05:54:43 pm »

i'm trying to make a large world with one megacontinent and one huge mountainridge for modding purposes, any tips on how to achieve this? i dont want any ridges besides that
In a general sense, this is close:
Spoiler: mountain-island (click to show/hide)
So, what is this?  It's a 257x257 seedless worldgen with very few limits or requirements. 
It should, typically, place a single large mountain range/group/area/region in the center of a roughly circular continent, with varying biomes by latitude and rain/drain sloping towards the ocean.
If you want to see a considerably different landmass, change the Elevation Mesh Size from 2x2 to something different, like 4x4.

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 08, 2021, 06:55:26 pm »

In a general sense, this is close:
Spoiler: mountain-island (click to show/hide)
So, what is this?  It's a 257x257 seedless worldgen with very few limits or requirements. 
It should, typically, place a single large mountain range/group/area/region in the center of a roughly circular continent, with varying biomes by latitude and rain/drain sloping towards the ocean.
If you want to see a considerably different landmass, change the Elevation Mesh Size from 2x2 to something different, like 4x4.
tysm!!!!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 08, 2021, 07:33:23 pm »

@vjek: The lack of elves is because with larger(or maybe just taller) world dims the site placement is more picky, usually wanting bigger suitable start area to place the civ. Elves get placed fine if I reduce dims to 33:33 and zero savagery:

||

Iirc we encountered this in the past with making megabeast islands working in pocket but not in large worlds.

Also, nice trick with elevation mesh.

@UristVanHelsing: Upon rereading of your request, I'm afraid it's not possible to have lots of of megabeasts&Titans in same world with lots of cities an equal ratio of civs in one-continent world.

The megabeasts wreck the civs that are on same continent, and the only ones who can stand a chance are goblins with their demon master shielding. I've tried before to get as little as 10 each of megas&civs, and failed. Otherwise, consider having demons only emerge from dwarven sites.

You can impose max 2k pop by editing the raws in entity_default.txt, however.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 08, 2021, 07:40:47 pm »

@vjek: The lack of elves is because with larger(or maybe just taller) world dims the site placement is more picky, usually wanting bigger suitable start area to place the civ. Elves get placed fine if I reduce dims to 33:33 and zero savagery: ...
  That's exactly what I was going to do to test, so, glad you did it.  Having said that, such variable civ placement behavior is just... wrong!  :D  But at least there is a reason.

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 10, 2021, 09:40:42 am »

First, here's a world and embark with some of your requirements met..
Humans, Dwarves, Goblin neighbors (Elves absolutely refuse to spawn in this world, for whatever reason I can't figure out)
Magma is ~10Z from the canyon-river bottom. Bottom of the river is Z98, magma forges can be built on Z88.
Sand, Clay, Fire Clay, Untamed Wilds.
Unfortunately, the worldgen entry is too large to post here (The message exceeds the maximum allowed length) so I'll put it on pastebin and link it.
As always, you can randomize the history/name/creature seeds if you want to try for different neighbors/civs.
Spoiler: Nevrast-River-Canyon (click to show/hide)
Second, some more details about attempting to put a volcano in the path of a very large river canyon..
If I set one world tile to volcanism 100, and set the number of volcanoes to 1, it completely changes the entire world for river flow.  It's actually pretty amazing how much that single change causes.
Even so, I tried a few different methods that I could think of to force it, and I have never seen it run the river on the same world tile as the volcano.  It will run them adjacent, but never together.
The worldgen engine is willing to reroute every water feature / water flow in the entire 65x65 world to avoid doing that, so.. if it's possible, it's not possible using any method I have come up with or seen before.  Doesn't mean it's not possible, though.  :D

Thanks a lot for this ! I'll give it a go !

Aelwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2021, 11:34:32 am »

Hello. I'm trying to find a medium-sized or small world where there are
-mostly flat and low regions
-many evil and savage temperate biomes,
-few volcanoes
-deep caverns
-magma not close to the surface.

Ideally, I'd like to embark on a place where evil savage biome connects a good region. Or a evil, neutral and good all at once. Or a serene bordering terrifying.

Can you help me to generate that?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:54:34 am by Aelwen »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2021, 11:55:58 am »

Hello. I'm trying to find a medium-sized or small world where there are mostly flat and low regions, many evil and savage temperate biomes, few volcanoes.
Ideally, I'd like to embark on a place where evil savage biome connects a benign region. Or a evil, neutral and good all at once.

Can you help me to generate that?
I think you need to refine your request a little bit:
- Few volcanoes: Firstly, it's ambiguous, as it might mean "more than one" or "definitely a small number". Secondly, if you don't want to embark on one, do you really care about them elsewhere?
- "Mostly flat": Again, do you care about the rest of the world, or are you looking for (completely optional or preferred?) flat embarks?
- Don't you care about neighbors, or did you just forget about them? This includes the presence/absence of necro towers.
- Do you have any requirements or preferences for the evil part of the embark (100% dead vegetation, reanimation, thralling, syndrome rain)?
- Minerals: Not mentioned, so does it mean you just want to roll with what happens to be present?
- Aquifers: Ditto.
- And, as usual, stuff I haven't thought of...
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32