Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32

Author Topic: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 107937 times)

Aelwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #255 on: January 21, 2021, 12:11:11 pm »

Ok, I'll redefine. The place of my embark should be:

- 4x4
- Temperate or warm
- Preferably completely flat (a low hill of  1-2 level in one corner is acceptable).
- Preferably scarce or moderate trees.
- At least with a brook.
- Preferably no goblins around, I don't care about necro towers though. Elves, dwarves, humans - as neighbors
- With an evil and high savage part of the embark (reanimation OR thralling,  syndrome rain - optional) and a good one (benign). The good part should be at least a half of the embark place, preferably more.  The evil can be just one small corner. Ideally, I'd like a part of terrifying and a part of serene or mirthful.
- OR a good biome on the evil reanimating ocean shore.
- Minerals: steel-friendly
- Deep or very deep soil
- 2-3 caverns, with or without water.
- Caverns should start at level 20+
- Aquifers: NO
- A lair of a mega beast not far from embark would be interesting too.

The world generally should be with many beasts. I hope one of megas will visit me.

Is it possible? I hope for your help.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:44:48 am by Aelwen »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2021, 05:04:50 pm »

Nothing in there should present a particular challenge, aside from the beasts/megabeasts tending to wipe out civs.  I'll see what I can come up with friday morning.

Aelwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 22, 2021, 04:10:35 pm »

I guess it wasn't so easy after all... Maybe someone could offer me some advice on what parameters to change in order to generate it?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 22, 2021, 06:10:21 pm »

This world and embark matches most of your requirements, save two.  There are only a few megas/semi's, but you can adjust that as you wish, and the Dwarven Civ is Dead (not dying) with Human and Elf neighbors.
Other than that, the embark is split evenly three ways, and has reanimating Terrifying, Joyous Wilds, and Untamed Wilds, with a Spring & Brook, and is steel friendly.
As always, now that the geography/geology part is done, you can regenerate for different civs by randomizing those seeds.
As a bonus, the good and evil flora is quite dense, in this embark location. Lots of eyes, tendrils, bulbs, etc.
Spoiler: Aelwen1 (click to show/hide)

Aelwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 23, 2021, 04:53:40 am »

This world and embark matches most of your requirements, save two.  There are only a few megas/semi's, but you can adjust that as you wish, and the Dwarven Civ is Dead (not dying) with Human and Elf neighbors.
Other than that, the embark is split evenly three ways, and has reanimating Terrifying, Joyous Wilds, and Untamed Wilds, with a Spring & Brook, and is steel friendly.
As always, now that the geography/geology part is done, you can regenerate for different civs by randomizing those seeds.
As a bonus, the good and evil flora is quite dense, in this embark location. Lots of eyes, tendrils, bulbs, etc.
Spoiler: Aelwen1 (click to show/hide)

Thank you!

But why did you choose 17x17 dimensions?

In my game that world is constantly rejected.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:40:09 am by Aelwen »

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 23, 2021, 02:38:36 pm »

How much titans and forgotten beasts can I generate in world without crash?

towerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Cloven Asunder
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 23, 2021, 06:00:05 pm »

I'd like to know as well, since I like my worlds with a lot of MBs, because they tend to run out quickly on small worlds.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 24, 2021, 04:20:20 am »

I'm not aware of the game crashing due to Titans (I'm not aware of any way to control the number of FBs apart from world size and the number of caverns). What happens is that they (as well as megabeasts) tend to kill off civs by razing their sites, with a lot of that happening immediately after world gen, as well as more of it over time, and as they tend to occasionally get killed they also expire over time (and megabeasts aren't good at finding mates to breed with [a bit like dorfs...]).

Thus, there is no absolute number, but a balancing act of how many races you require contact with, whether you require civs to be healthy or if it's OK for them to be on the brink of extinction, how long a history you want, etc. The most important factor, however, is how many world gen attempts you're willing to perform to get a desirable world (and embark site(s) within it).

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 24, 2021, 07:22:42 am »

I'm not aware of the game crashing due to Titans (I'm not aware of any way to control the number of FBs apart from world size and the number of caverns). What happens is that they (as well as megabeasts) tend to kill off civs by razing their sites, with a lot of that happening immediately after world gen, as well as more of it over time, and as they tend to occasionally get killed they also expire over time (and megabeasts aren't good at finding mates to breed with [a bit like dorfs...]).

Thus, there is no absolute number, but a balancing act of how many races you require contact with, whether you require civs to be healthy or if it's OK for them to be on the brink of extinction, how long a history you want, etc. The most important factor, however, is how many world gen attempts you're willing to perform to get a desirable world (and embark site(s) within it).
I tried pocket world with 1000 night trolls. It work if 2 years of worldgen, but crash if worldgen will be longer. 1000 titans crash even bigger worlds. My friend with better computer made world with 500 of all generateable creatures, because 1000 crashed his game even with medium world.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 24, 2021, 07:29:55 am »

Have you filed a bug report on the bug tracker?

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 24, 2021, 07:32:28 am »

Have you filed a bug report on the bug tracker?
No, I don't know what is direct bug and maybe someone report about this bug before me.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 24, 2021, 11:34:35 am »

The bug tracker's search function is buggy, at least on some OS', but there are people able to find if a bug has been reported previously, so an occasional double report is a lot better than bugs "everybody knows about" that's not reported at all.

If I understand your description correctly, I'd file a report that said that this world gen (providing the advanced world gen parameters, including seeds) crashes every time (after testing that it actually does crash with those particular seeds with a freshly loaded DF [there have been cases in the past where the behavior differs between a fresh DF and one that's generated something else first, which is, in itself, a bug when it happens]). That would allow others to verify that it crashes on other OS' as well as on the one you use.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 25, 2021, 10:43:36 am »

Thank you!

But why did you choose 17x17 dimensions?

In my game that world is constantly rejected.
That world generates properly, without rejections, in a vanilla 47.04 install (just tested it). 
I typically choose 17x17 so that all civs can reach each other as neighbors, as that's a common request.
If you're not using vanilla 47.04, all bets are off. :)

Aelwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 27, 2021, 01:28:52 pm »

Oh, yes, it was my fault. Everything is fine now.

Although my first fort died pretty quickly.  :o :-[

horribleflesheater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 03, 2021, 02:17:22 am »

Can I have some advice on generating a world with some nitpicky qualities for adventure mode? I'm sure not all of these can be controlled but, I wanted to generate a sort of medium sized danger world, with plenty of ruins and abandoned sites and swathes of evil biomes- but at least one human civilization and more than one populated town, and at least one of each other civilization. History short-medium
Some of the more nitpicky things:
is it possible to discourage civilizations from being neighbors? I prefer space between clumps of associated settlements.
Can I create a sinister, evil world without the inevitable goblin conquest creating a world of 75% goblins?
How can I set my parameters for maximum playability in adventure mode? It's a shame that worldgen will create very cool, sprawling towns and settlements that I can't visit due to FPS with massive populations.
Sorry if this seems simplistic, my understanding of the values in advanced worldgen is pretty limited

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32