Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32

Author Topic: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 108052 times)

RachelF42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #345 on: August 09, 2021, 12:28:37 pm »

This matches your requested features in vanilla DF, RachelF42.  Mirthful Temperate Conifer Forest.  Flat volcano.  Brook on the southern edge.
Spoiler: rachef42_1 (click to show/hide)
I don't use LNP, so YMMV under those conditions, especially if LNP adjusts any raws or even some configuration files.

exactly as you described under LNP as well, this'll work nicely, tysm!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 06, 2021, 07:09:03 pm »

I wanted to have some options for water projects, and created a world with 115 matching tiles with 30+ Z waterfalls, iron and flux.  But I forgot to make some changes to the raws before generating it.  The second generation resulted in 189 matches for the same.  I expect similar results will continue with further generations.  In case anyone is looking for waterfalls, note that I also changed the caverns and mineral density.  Caverns should be more expansive large chambers than normal, and the high mineral frequency bogs down world generation a bit.  I also added some additional buffer layers between the caverns to have more room to work with.  It's a slightly warmer world than normal, as I didn't want to deal with ice jamming up the flows. 

Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Parameters (click to show/hide)

x0reset

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 12, 2021, 06:38:39 pm »

I am looking for an embark with the following features:
world size: 33x33
embark size: 3x3
100% flat
savagery: calm
a complete heavy aquifer
biome temperature: warm
sand
flux
iron ore
metal ore
lignite/coal
gold ore
candy
living dwarven civ
neighbor: goblins
neighbor: humans
neighbor: elves
neighbors: many towers
200 years of history
one cavern
biome alignment: 100% good

I need exactly one layer of heavy aquifer with two layers of soil or sand above it.

Been trying to generate this for a while.  I'm hopeful the wizards here might be able to help.

Thanks!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 12, 2021, 08:07:09 pm »

Everything except exactly 2-2/shallow soil with a heavy aquifer is pretty straightforward to generate.
Would you accept 3-3 soil and/or a light aquifer?

x0reset

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 12, 2021, 08:12:03 pm »

Sure, I can make 2-3 layers of soil or sand work.

Need exactly one layer of heavy aquifer for the mega project though. =(
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 08:16:31 pm by x0reset »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 12, 2021, 08:23:20 pm »

Hm hm.  Well, that will require some experimentation, then.

Here's what I found so far, it's 3 layers of sand, the third layer is the aquifer, but it's all light aquifer.
The rest of the requirements match.    5 towers, serene, warm, civs, geology, etc.
I'll investigate what is required to reliably generate heavy aquifers and see if I can find something better.
Spoiler: x0reset1 (click to show/hide)

EDIT:
Ok, so I've determined that you get exactly ~zero heavy aquifers unless you have many dramatic shifts in drainage on the map.  If an entire region is the same drainage (at least, in the PSV 33x33's I've been testing with), having only two other region edges meet with differing drainage isn't enough.  Knowing this will help, definitely.  I should have something that matches soon.

See how this one works for you, x0reset. I think it meets all your requirements, although I'm not 100% sure on the soil levels and heavy aquifer. They're present, I'm just not sure if it's under the yellow sand or the black sand..
Spoiler: x0reset3 (click to show/hide)
Even if it's just close, at least you'll know it's possible without too much effort.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 11:45:52 pm by vjek »

x0reset

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 13, 2021, 10:20:25 am »

Perfect!

Thanks vjek, you're amazing.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 16, 2021, 07:31:57 am »

Bit late, but heavy aquifers should be generated when your drainage % 20 == 7, that is when your drainage is 7/27/47/67/87 according to Toady.

Incidentally, this means that hilly rocky wastelands should never have heavy aquifers (50 to 65 drainage).

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 16, 2021, 02:33:07 pm »

With PerfectworldDF you can set the sea level at a different height to get more or less land. Is there a way to do that with just DF's world generation settings?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 16, 2021, 03:13:50 pm »

With PerfectworldDF you can set the sea level at a different height to get more or less land. Is there a way to do that with just DF's world generation settings?
Afaik that utility isn't doing anything 'special' in the sense of using values out of bounds or invalid values.
As such, it's just setting values that anyone can set via the Preset Field Values (p) interface in the Advanced Worldgen interface.

However, getting more or less ocean or land is pretty straightforward in default/vanilla DF.
Using this worldgen as an example..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And looking at this line in particular:
Code: [Select]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:2:1:0:0:0:1]which is modified in the Advanced Worldgen interface via these 6 lines:

You can adjust how much land/water is generated very easily.
If you set the 0-20 Elevation Weighted Range to 2, and leave the Elevation Weighted Range (80-100) at 1, you'll get more water.
If you leave the 0-20 Elevation Weighted Range to 1, and set the Elevation Weighted Range (80-100) to 2, you'll get more land.
Beyond that, it's just whatever limits you want to impose on the world elevation. 
If you don't have any elevation values below 100, you won't get any oceans.  But you can get lakes.
If you don't have any elevation values above 99, you won't get any land.

If you take that worldgen above and generate it a few times, typically (although not every time) you'll see roughly the same amount of land as water.  Not always, but typically.
If you use the 2/1 or 1/2 Weighted ranges, you'll typically see more ocean than land, and more land than ocean.  Again, typically.

If any of the above is unclear, just say so, and I'll be happy to elaborate further based on what I've learned using the DF advanced worldgen interface.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 16, 2021, 06:06:38 pm »

Ah, thank you. It's pretty simple when you put it that way! I appreciate the fact that this is a thread where you basically just find people the worlds they want.

EDIT: I had to set the minimum low elevation areas a lot lower in order to get it to generate without rejections, but my giant continuous continent is going just fine.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 09:17:59 pm by TheFlame52 »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 23, 2021, 01:12:30 pm »

Query: If an ocean is only 1 zed deep (still 7/7), can it still spawn critters besides fish? (shark, whale, etc.).  My embark covers the first tiles where ocean is adjacent to land.  The deeper ocean begins, frustratingly, on the next world segment over, so I have no way to cover both deep ocean and enough land for building.  I'm considering using the Region Manipulator plugin to make the ocean tiles deeper, but elevation changes at the border of regions (especially with any water) are always risky.

Edit: Just occurred to me that I could theoretically make the ocean deeper myself (ingame), but I don't know if doing that pre-embark would affect the spawns.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 03:08:12 pm by Immortal-D »

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 27, 2021, 02:06:50 pm »

Looking for a world with (theoretically) simple requirements.

Spoiler: requrest (click to show/hide)

I've spent ages taking guesses at what would make a good combo for this and can't figure it out - you guys seem like you know what you're doing so I'd love the help!
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 27, 2021, 02:14:59 pm »

Looking for a world with (theoretically) simple requirements.

Spoiler: requrest (click to show/hide)

I've spent ages taking guesses at what would make a good combo for this and can't figure it out - you guys seem like you know what you're doing so I'd love the help!
I was looking at your other thread, working on this a little bit, and here's my impressions so far.
Heavy aquifers and volcanos don't appear to want to be together in the same tile.  :D
However, I did find a 2x3 that does have a heavy aquifer in the very south edge (152 tiles worth) so if that' sufficient, you're set.
If not, you can clear those seeds, make adjustments as you wish, and that's the best I have to offer at the moment.
You'll probably want to make adjustments anyway to have more civs, but ideally, that should be possible without messing with that embark geology, or at least you know whatever you can come up with otherwise, you can get a heavy aquifer at least as close as three tiles from the volcano.
Spoiler: chaotic_skies (click to show/hide)

Oh, and... would cavern water be ok, instead of a heavy aquifer, optionally?

EDIT: Ok, found a better one, possibly.
This embark (southeast volcano, 3x3 with it in the middle) has a heavy aquifer adjacent, as in touching, the wall of the volcano tube.
Unfortunately.. and I have to say I don't see this very often, this is an empty lava tube.  It's a volcano, but, the volcano only comes up to the caverns, then it's an empty tube to the surface.
So that might not be so great, but, it does show that it is possible to have heavy aquifer tiles adjacent to the obsidian wall of the volcano.
Spoiler: chaoctic_skies2 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 03:19:03 pm by vjek »

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 27, 2021, 03:44:36 pm »

<snip>

As far as cavern water - I'll admit I'm not super experienced working with it, so there's potential that it would function well enough for the larger-scale projects I'm hoping to work on. I'm looking at a lot of obsidian creation and various waterfalls/showers/etc., so it certainly could work. My primary concerns are the power required to pump up enough water and lag from generating that power.

The empty lava tube is interesting for entirely different reasons and I'm probably going to yoink it for fun.

Thanks for the help!
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32