Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32

Author Topic: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 108021 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2020, 03:22:48 pm »

I've generated worlds with lots of evil clouds, the problem is, none of those materials are actually showing up in the world. Even reducing reanimation and evil rain interactions to 0 results in evil areas with no weather at all. Basically, I'm asking for confirmation that a particular biome actually has that weather.
The Biome Manipulator http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164658.msg7495705#msg7495705 allows you to look at which interactions different regions have, as well as add/replace/remove an interaction. You'd probably have to do that before embark, but I don't think I've tried afterwards.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2020, 07:59:11 pm »

This world and embark..
Spoiler: husks (click to show/hide)
Has husk-ifying evil clouds.  100% guaranteed/verified.  REGIONAL_4, EVIL_CLOUD_3, vile gloom husks.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2020, 09:37:17 am »

Thank you!

gnurro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2020, 08:15:35 am »

I've been trying to find worldgen values that produce worlds with a lot of civilized animal people. By 'a lot' I mean having them everywhere in copious numbers and thus at least somehow likely to visit my fortress. I thought I'd SCIENCE a little, so I made up some measurements....

My criteria for checking how 'animal people friendly' a world is right off the bat:

- Relative number of historic animal people. (Count of occurence of '_MAN' in the legends xml dump compared to the total number of historic figures.)
I guess if worldgen produces many animal people that actually do something in the world (even if it's just luckily dying of old age), it is likely to do so when running a fortress. I haven't checked if this shows in fortress mode, but it nicely corresponds to the next criterium.

- Amount of playable civilized animal people types in adventurer.
For people to visit in fortress mode, they have to be part of a civilization. Bonus for spread out populations, because one elven civilization with three bird people kinds doesn't really help much with spreading animal people. I have had animal people join any kind of civilization in worldgen, not just elves, so I consider rat people living with humans another success.

- How many animal people visitors actually show up.
I had a wren woman bard once. She was awesome .... and kinda the cause why I even try to get this kind of world again. I'll need to see how the first two criteria even correspond. There's a myriad of other factors in a running fortress, so i guess this is somewhat arbritrary anyways.

I've had success pushing the relative historic animal people number and adventurer opportunities up a lot by forcing more savagery (min savagery at 25-30, high number of high-savagery tiles to not reject) and having more varied regions by forcing one of each of the main region types. Both animal people criteria easily double consistently doing this. 'Sprinkling' the savagery about with high variance values helped enourmously with rejections while still producing higher amounts of animal people. I guess a settlement doesn't need to be smack-dab in the middle of a max-savagery area to get animal people in world gen, as this helped a lot with human and dwarf civs having some. My wren bard came from a dwarven civ.

I've been generating 65x65 worlds for easier iteration - does this limit the possibilities too much? Has anyone scienced this stuff before? Do you guys maybe have a fancy trick my rusty DF brain just skips?

I know there's hacky ways to make the number of animal people explode, but i'd rather see what vanilla can come up with in this case. (Allowing all civs to settle in savagery would surely produce a lot of civilized animal people...)

...triple bonus points for anyone finding parameters that produce giant animal people in any kind of predictable fashion. A fellow player had a giant peach faced lovebird person visit. (v.47.04)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:25:05 am by gnurro »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2020, 11:28:36 am »

In general, I've noticed that following, regarding animal men:
They typically appear in elvish civs more than others, but I've seen them in human and dwarf civs too.
I've seen up to 89 of a particular single type of animal men in a single civ.
I've seen up to 4 distinct types, in quantities over 10, in a single civ.

This morning, I gen'd a world, embarked, and immediately had a dingo-man lasher visit my tavern (within the first month) after embarking.
But since then, I haven't been able to reproduce that first success.  I'll keep trying, to see if I can reproduce that same scenario, or determine what, if anything might significantly affect the numbers.

gnurro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2020, 11:46:19 am »

Elves often have animal people because they don't care about the level of savagery at their settlement sites, what with them being all hippielike and 'at peace with nature'.
The dwarven civ that produced my wren bard had dozens of wren people in almost every settlement. Same world has hundreds of skink people as part of a half-desert human civ.
I've had elves with way too many different bird people.
I think there's a sweet spot with savagery distribution that lets world gen pump animal people out and not kill them off too soon - maybe dependent on biomes on top.
I'd like to think that the desert made the skink men integrate or rather become an important part of that desert human civilisation, but that may just be projecting too much into this...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2020, 06:16:18 pm »

Topic: Please help me understand animal men and animal men civilizations !!SUCCESS!! Is relevant to discussion.

My own take atm: Can't really be done in numbers I consider significant; if a fort of animalpeople is desired adv mode must be used. Otherwise, getting few in a world is doable with luck. Nr of people who join is tied to biome size they join from; largest has dozens join but as they're all non-historical they don't necessarily translate to visitors.

vnneetguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2020, 09:42:21 am »

Hi! Thanks you all for these beatiful worlds.

-Edit-
I'm kindda new player, i have played 4 5 fortress. And the  problem is "fps drop dead". Can i have a world with all kind of things ( i want to experience them all) and stil have good fps?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 12:05:51 am by vnneetguy »

1eb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2020, 08:53:47 am »

Anyone willing to post a save for a world with 500+ years' history? Prefer the most current release

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2020, 10:17:45 am »

Here's a pocket world with a 1000 year history, 1eb.
Spoiler: 1kyr (click to show/hide)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2020, 04:48:07 am »

Smaller world with a Longer history. It has a volcano in a temperate forest with shallow metals, deep metals, flux stone, and clay. All civs are alive and neighbors, but there is no necromancy in the world yet:

Spoiler: world map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: armok vision render (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: world gen info (click to show/hide)

Sr.Hikari

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2020, 09:22:07 am »

Hi! I try to start a new world, but i really like playing in a Volcano world. What i ming with this?

I think in a arid world, with deserts, mountains, badlands, a lot of volcanos, A LOT of them.
No oceans, no rivers, no aquifers. Only underground water.

I tryed with "Design new world with advanced parameters" but the game didn't generated a world.
After I tryed with the program "Perfectworld" but I have the same problem, the game didn't generated a world.

Any can help me with the parameters for make my volcano world?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2020, 09:57:59 am »

Here's one, Sr.Hikari, 16 volcanoes in a pocket world, no rain, no rivers, no oceans. Mountains, deserts & badlands.
Spoiler: volcanic (click to show/hide)

Sr.Hikari

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2020, 11:03:03 am »

Here's one, Sr.Hikari, 16 volcanoes in a pocket world, no rain, no rivers, no oceans. Mountains, deserts & badlands.
Spoiler: volcanic (click to show/hide)

Thanks! I will try to make this in a large world

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2020, 11:24:07 am »

.Does anyone have a 4x4 embark for 0.47.04

That has:

• Temperate
  • Trees / Fruit trees
  • Flux stones
  • River/Brook/Stream
  • Shallow and deep metals
  • Caves system
  • Magma
  • Goblins
  • Dwarves
  • Elfs
  • Humans
  • Necromancers

Here's one that matches:
Spoiler: maltavius1 (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32