Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32

Author Topic: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 106622 times)

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 08:43:12 am »

Anyone got a pocket or smaller world with a lot of necrotowers?

Something like a safe island with an elven forest retreat would be desired, but really the top priority is exploring a world with lots of necro-secrets.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2020, 09:31:15 am »

Here's three that might suit your purposes, Deinos.
Spoiler: 4TOWERS (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 5TOWERS (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 7TOWERS (click to show/hide)
They're all pocket worlds with various numbers of towers, many have creatures, catastrophes, mistakes, follies, eyes, hands, hounds, nightmares, etc, and some have hundreds of tower denizens.

EDIT: Also, this one. 1000 year history, 1188 Dwarves, 1665 Humans, 2096 Elves. No goblins.  No Necro Lieutenants, No Necro Summons.
Many of the towers have hundreds of animated humans, dwarves, and elves, with two sites having over 1100 animated elves, each.
In general, it appears the civs are not overrun, with these settings.  This world has 333 lair sites.
Spoiler: 15_TOWERS (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 04:33:01 pm by vjek »

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 01:14:13 pm »

Oh wow, these look fun, thanks! The map setup reminds me of Silky Sands... but of course eviller. Dunno if its intended, but I got the Third Age of Fairy Tales or something like that when loading the 7towers one, which is new to me.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 07:25:07 pm »

Since things can be wiped out, but then brought back as wandering corpses, the age system really goes weird - and I really like that.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2020, 11:07:25 am »

A couple of less dangerous 0.47.02 worlds/embarks.  Each has several hundred Dwarves, Elves, and Humans, with no Goblins.

Spoiler: 3civs_peace1 (click to show/hide)
164 poems, 116 music/songs, 83 dances.  Human bards and other visitors instantly arrive as soon as you create a tavern/inn.

Spoiler: 3civs_peace2 (click to show/hide)
147 poems, 166 music/songs, 83 dances.  Human bards and other visitors arrive very soon after you create a tavern/inn.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 11:12:26 am by vjek »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 02:51:24 pm »

I found some seeds that don't crash after 1050 years (very long history). Times reported are from a Zen 2 desktop.

Small world, Very Long history (15 minutes to generate)
Spoiler: Small world map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Small world seed (click to show/hide)

Medium world, Very Long history (38 minutes to generate)
Spoiler: Medium world map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medium world seed (click to show/hide)

Large world, Very Long history (1 hour, 35 minutes to generate)
Spoiler: Large world map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Large world seed (click to show/hide)

teh sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2020, 12:42:04 am »

I've been making world after world and can't luck out with my dream embark.  Looking for advice.

I gen higher savagery and no vampire curses.  I also max volcanoes and edited out aquifers in raws.  Otherwise pretty standard...

I've been searching for a 4x4 embark with the following:
Nearby gob, human, elven and dwarven civs
Surface volcano
Trees (preferably including fruit trees)
Flux layer
Sand AND clay
A good-sized layer or two of soil/clay/sand for underground pasture
Multiple metals (to include iron)

I always end up with everything but sand, or a river tile, or one race missing, or no iron.  Argh!

Thanks for any help/advice.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2020, 01:10:06 am »

Only part of that list that might be a bit tricky is the volcano.  Do you want a 100% flat embark, including the volcano, or does neither matter?
The rest is very easy, generally.  In 47.01+, light aquifers are trivial to dig through, but if you want no aquifer, or just a partial one for fresh water, let me know.
I'll work on it tomorrow morning, based on your responses.

teh sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2020, 01:21:33 am »

It doesn't need to be flat, just flat enough that wagons can path to my fort.  I always just dig into the side of a hill/mountain.

You will have to fill me in on what I'm doing wrong here.  I downloaded the biome manipulator and tried running it and it just crashed immediately.  I'm guessing due to .41>.47.

Thanks so much!

Edit: is it too much to ask for some gypsum as well as long as I'm asking for the world?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 01:42:07 am by teh sam »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2020, 02:38:25 am »

@teh sam: Can you give more details about how the biome manipulated crashed, i.e. did it crash immediately when you called it, or did it crash when you tried to do something? The only "testing" I've done so far is to see that it did not crash when started, and then immediately quit it. If I know what causes it to fail I can probably fix it (there is a thread for the tool in the Utilities and 3rd Party Application section, in order not to clutter this thread).

teh sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2020, 04:19:14 am »

@PatrikLundell:  The crash was instantaneous when I called the script.  I've never used it, so I wasn't 100% sure when to run it.  I selected my embark area and was in the midst of "preparing carefully".  I believe the forum thread just said you could do it before embark.  Perhaps that was the wrong time to call the script?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2020, 04:56:08 am »

@PatrikLundell:  The crash was instantaneous when I called the script.  I've never used it, so I wasn't 100% sure when to run it.  I selected my embark area and was in the midst of "preparing carefully".  I believe the forum thread just said you could do it before embark.  Perhaps that was the wrong time to call the script?
Thanks for the answer. It's an unusual time to call it, as I usually do that before actually selecting the site, but I just tried to do that and it started normally (and I don't know of any reason for why it shouldn't work: there's no dependency on which screen you're on. I've used it during world gen as well). Without being able to replicate it and without any DFHack window traceback I'm afraid I can't do much. Please try again and report any info that might help me, as I don't like to have bugs lurking in the shadows.

I can mention that the Embark Assistant plugin allows you to search for volcanoes, flux, sand, clay, and iron, as well as gypsum (economic) (with pasture provided automatically thorough the presence of sand/clay). You can select the region type to be Jungle (which really means any kind of forest) to ensure trees, although that misses out on the other types that have trees (various types of grassland, for instance). Given that most environment have trees, I'd just check the matching sites to verify they do have trees. The plugin doesn't support search for neighbors, though.
However, volcanoes are rare, gypsum specific, and I think only one of the iron ores tends to be present near volcanoes, so I would expect you to have to generate quite a few worlds to find a single location with everything.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2020, 11:18:48 am »

It doesn't need to be flat, just flat enough that wagons can path to my fort.  I always just dig into the side of a hill/mountain.
Edit: is it too much to ask for some gypsum as well as long as I'm asking for the world?
No problem, this should meet your needs:
Spoiler: teh_sam1 (click to show/hide)

teh sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2020, 12:32:40 pm »

No problem, this should meet your needs:

I'm so sorry, somehow I forgot to add in that I'd like a river tile in my 4x4 embark.  Perhaps I should start with yours and try that biome manipulator to add one?  (Does biome manipulator support adding river tiles?)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2020, 12:51:20 pm »

No worries, I'll see what I can find with a river tile.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32