Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32

Author Topic: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 106610 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #210 on: November 23, 2020, 12:57:51 pm »

I want to make a completely cold (icy) pocket world with scattered volcanoes. There are many necromancers, many megabeasts and other evil spirits. An active existence of civilizations or at least races is desirable. ...
As Patrik mentioned, A world that is 100% entirely frozen won't have any races in it.  However, you can make it mostly frozen.
You can even make it frozen everywhere except some small areas where the races live.
Many megabeasts is subjective, and will contribute greatly to killing everyone.  What I mean by that is, if you put enough megabeasts into the world, everyone will be dead.  They'll kill all the civilizations.  A dangerous world is... dangerous.  8)  So, you can have some or a few megabeasts, but many (as in more than 10) in a pocket world, and it will reduce potential viability, considerably.

In any case, how many civilizations do you want, and of which type?  Or.. just a dwarf civilization plus any other?  Dwarf + goblins is pretty easy, but if you mean dwarfs + humans + elves + goblins, that's considerably more time & effort.  It's fine either way, just wondering what your tolerances are.

Is the goal to have three caravans (human, elf, dwarf) visit every year, or just one caravan, and/or goblin/necromancer attacks?
Do you want a surface volcano in the embark, or are they just there for atmosphere/flavor?

And don't worry about your English.  It's better than many native English speakers.  :D

MrNihil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2020, 02:11:35 am »

I want to make a completely cold (icy) pocket world with scattered volcanoes. There are many necromancers, many megabeasts and other evil spirits. An active existence of civilizations or at least races is desirable. ...
As Patrik mentioned, A world that is 100% entirely frozen won't have any races in it.  However, you can make it mostly frozen.
You can even make it frozen everywhere except some small areas where the races live.
Many megabeasts is subjective, and will contribute greatly to killing everyone.  What I mean by that is, if you put enough megabeasts into the world, everyone will be dead.  They'll kill all the civilizations.  A dangerous world is... dangerous.  8)  So, you can have some or a few megabeasts, but many (as in more than 10) in a pocket world, and it will reduce potential viability, considerably.

In any case, how many civilizations do you want, and of which type?  Or.. just a dwarf civilization plus any other?  Dwarf + goblins is pretty easy, but if you mean dwarfs + humans + elves + goblins, that's considerably more time & effort.  It's fine either way, just wondering what your tolerances are.

Is the goal to have three caravans (human, elf, dwarf) visit every year, or just one caravan, and/or goblin/necromancer attacks?
Do you want a surface volcano in the embark, or are they just there for atmosphere/flavor?

And don't worry about your English.  It's better than many native English speakers.  :D

I just want a cold world, where there is a small area (s) with a temperate climate. Five volcanoes on an ice sheet, on one of which I want to make a tavern made of glass (or stone, as luck would have it), where different races will flock. Something like "the last hearth in the endless darkness of the cold", where everyone is welcome.

The races need each one one by one. One dwarf, one elves, one human and one goblin. One necromancer tower. One caravan from the dwarves and just attacks from anyone (often the army of necromancers) is enough for me. To simplify my idea a little (as far as knowledge of the language gives me), I want to make the world on the verge of extinction from the cold and necromancers, ala "Winter is near Game of Thrones." Hard times in a hard world and all things ...

Preferably heavy snowfalls, that's right almost every single day.

If it is too difficult to implement, then one dwarves, one goblins and one necromantic tower will be enough for me ...

I hope we understand each other.  :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:13:43 am by MrNihil »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2020, 11:40:58 am »

Ok, from that, I'll look for a volcano on the surface embark of a glacier, in a world with all the races, at least one tower within the embark range, and sand available for glass.
Temperate and glacier don't typically go together, but if you want a temperate embark instead of a glacier, or both together as part of the embark, let me know.

MrNihil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2020, 12:15:41 pm »

Ok, from that, I'll look for a volcano on the surface embark of a glacier, in a world with all the races, at least one tower within the embark range, and sand available for glass.
Temperate and glacier don't typically go together, but if you want a temperate embark instead of a glacier, or both together as part of the embark, let me know.

I'm looking forward to it. Thank you for your attention :)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 24, 2020, 03:27:40 pm »

Here's a world with two embarks, one on tundra with a bit of glacier, one on glacier entirely, both with surface volcanoes.
Both embark locations are within range of all races, and a necromancer tower with hundreds of inhabitants.
This is a PSV world, as you'll see by the worldgen parameters.

Spoiler: MrNihil1 (click to show/hide)
EDIT:

So, looking at your goal of wanting to have visitors, I tried that on both embarks, and no visitors show up, for me. (YMMV)
Thinking it might be related to density population or civilizations, I created a second similar world, and did get a single visitor.
However, the visitor had some issues..
Spoiler: frostbite (click to show/hide)
Initially, I had world temperature set at -90, but that creates NO TRADE flags on embark with all the nearby Civs, so I scaled it back to -85 so that wasn't happening.
Clearly, some histfigs are willing to brave the cold under the right conditions, but this isn't an area that I've extensively tested visitor behavior.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 07:25:00 pm by vjek »

MrNihil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 25, 2020, 04:19:23 am »

Here's a world with two embarks, one on tundra with a bit of glacier, one on glacier entirely, both with surface volcanoes.
Both embark locations are within range of all races, and a necromancer tower with hundreds of inhabitants.

EDIT:

So, looking at your goal of wanting to have visitors, I tried that on both embarks, and no visitors show up, for me. (YMMV)
Thinking it might be related to density population or civilizations, I created a second similar world, and did get a single visitor.
Initially, I had world temperature set at -90, but that creates NO TRADE flags on embark with all the nearby Civs, so I scaled it back to -85 so that wasn't happening.
Clearly, some histfigs are willing to brave the cold under the right conditions, but this isn't an area that I've extensively tested visitor behavior.

Thanks. I'll try it now

MrNihil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2020, 07:25:09 am »

EDIT:

Everything works as I wanted. Thank you so much! :)

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 26, 2020, 09:02:38 am »

Howdy there. Just wondering if there's any way of getting a Walking Dead type of world? By which I mean almost everywhere is populated by undead. I don't know what parameters affect tower generation, but maybe making most of the world squares evil would do the trick? I'd be happy with a smaller or small sized world. Anyone got any advice?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 26, 2020, 11:05:57 am »

Howdy there. Just wondering if there's any way of getting a Walking Dead type of world? By which I mean almost everywhere is populated by undead. I don't know what parameters affect tower generation, but maybe making most of the world squares evil would do the trick? I'd be happy with a smaller or small sized world. Anyone got any advice?
There's a few different types of undead. At least:
Thralling from evil clouds.
Reanimation after death.
Controlled/created by a necromancer.
Part of the region.

If you're looking for a fortress mode embark that has both reanimation and animated arriving corpses/undead wild animals, this one qualifies.

What features are applied to evil biomes or regions or what effects/syndromes come from particular evil clouds or rain is procedurally generated.
You can, for example, generate a world that has lethal versions of all of those, while some are minor inconveniences at best.
While towers are a source of undead, the denizens, at least, from what I've seen, stay in or near the tower unless on a specific task.  That may be different with the new towers that spread evil in Adventure Mode, but I haven't tested enough of that personally to speak with any authority.
From your request, it seems like a biome (or many) where the trees and animals are all undead/dead is likely the closest match.  I call these animated corpse embarks, because you get things like Barn Owl Corpse, Echidna Corpse, or Buzzard Man Corpse arriving on the embark regularly. (depending on the biome)

It's worth noting, though, that in these embark regions?  Surface existence is extremely challenging without your military being fully equipped in metal gear and having very high military/combat skills.  At least, in fortress mode.  Particularly if you start getting Undead versions of Giant creatures.

The other challenge is that Regional Interactions (which are the things that can have/cause these reanimating, corpsing, etc effects) are only different based on different regions.  If you have one region throughout your entire world, or only a handful, you'll only get a handful of unique Regional Interactions, and thusly, very few chances at seeing Undead regional effects within range of other features you may desire, like water, metal, sand, clay, flux, or trade with other races.  Generating unique regions can also be tricky, depending on what biomes you're comfortable with or desire.  It's much easier to create very large single regions rather than many tens/hundreds of tiny regions, which is the opposite of what you want, in this scenario.

Obviously, it's possible to get it all together.  However, it can take some time reviewing many tens/hundreds of worlds, depending on how specific you are with your requirements, and how few or many unique regions there are in the target worlds.  Evil clouds are similar.  You can have many evil clouds in a world, but there's often no guarantee they have the evil that you want, or even that they'll show up with enough frequency to make it challenging, although one brief mistake can end your fort very quickly (if all your dwarves are above ground and all are caught in a cloud at the same time)

Lastly, there are now quite a range of different necromancer undead types.  Experiments, lieutenants, divination, ghouls, summons all create quite a range of type, difficulty and density.
Recently, for example, I had an unexpected visit from some necromancers who brought many crossbow/bow/ranged attackers.  Hadn't seen that before, personally, and it .. wiped out the fort quite handily.  There's also demonic experiments permitted as well, which.. given how simply LARGE demons are, and the consequences in combat, any undead version would be very very difficult to engage hand-to-hand.

Machinist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 22, 2020, 07:46:13 pm »

Returning player(s) here!

Lot of cool stuff added since a few year, so it's time to have another go at DF! We're doing a succession fort like we've always done when getting back to DF, à la style of BoatMurdered. So I/we are looking for an embark that's close to BoatMurdered, but with the new features like Necromancer Towers (and obviously the z-levels etc). And enough goblins to kill (I've heard we can run out of them now? Sadness). Any world-gen advice to create & find such embark zones is also welcome!

I believe the list would go something like this:

- Embark area split linearly in ~half from bottom to top (swamp/forest + nearly perfectly vertical, straight rock mountain)
- Running water on the swamp/forest side (river, brook etc)
- Shallow volcano on the vertical straight rock mountain
- Preferably lot of metals + flux
- Preferably w/ Elephants, but we take any spooky local fauna as well, the eviler the better
- Embark area 4x4
- Circus + cave(s)

The world we're looking for:
- Mountains of goblins to poke at
- Lot of titans/mega/semi beasts alive
- At least one healthy necro tower near embark
- Access to healthy human+elf civs
- I've been told 65x65 is really the min for enough history

It's a big ask, but if somebody has something even close we'd be happy dwarves, and we will name our future King/Queen in your name! <3
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 07:50:10 pm by Machinist »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 23, 2020, 11:02:54 am »

Nothing too tricky in your request, Machinist, except these features:

- Shallow volcano on the vertical straight rock mountain
- Lot of titans/mega/semi beasts alive
- Access to healthy human+elf civs

The titans/mega/semi's will have a tendency to wipe out all the civs they are near, over time.
The more of them there are, the more they will tend to do this.  So, this is often a mutually exclusive situation.

A shallow volcano with a vertical mountain don't usually go together, depending on your definition of shallow and vertical, in quantity.
It's pretty straightforward to find a volcano +/- 1 or 2 Z-Levels from the embark.
It's pretty straightforward to find a mountain that rises quickly with 1-10 vertical faces before sloping back to the peak.
Getting those together?  You'll typically find either a spire of obsidian sticking out of the mountainside with the volcano at the top, of varying heights, or the volcano at the embark level, surrounded by a caldera (not a vertical wall, depending on your definition).  Finding something 'in-between' those two extremes is uncommon, in my experience.

As a minor difficulty, volcanoes typically only form in igneous extrusive, rather than sedimentary layers.  This is normally exclusionary/preventative regarding flux, coal/lignite, and iron bearing ore (although marble and hematite can form there) so that's something to keep in mind.

If you're willing to be flexible on the volcano, it would make finding an embark quite a bit easier.  In a 65x65 world, you're going to be out of range of many of these matching features, given how close you have to be to lairs, towers and civs to have 'contact'.
In general, finding the matching geography isn't what takes the time.  The time is consumed more by finding the appropriate non-geographical matches (civs, towers, contacts).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 23, 2020, 01:43:40 pm »

- I guess that if you're going for a two biome embark you can try to get one of them as igneous and the other one as sedimentary.
- You can gt lots of big baddies together with civs if you embark quickly after the world gen, but that won't protect the civs from betting stepped on during the fortress' history.
- It's possible to hack the embark in various way, both the geo biome (i.e. the minerals present) and the elevation of mid level tiles (the tiles your embark is formed from, i.e. "3*3" for example). This can be used to hack rather steep inclines. However, these hacks are temporary, i.e. they make it to the fortress only if you embark immediately without shifting the focus to another world tile (and I don't know what happens with the hacks if you retire and reclaim a fortress).

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 23, 2020, 04:03:55 pm »

How make world with as much experiments as possible? Especially with experiments on multitudes.

Machinist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 24, 2020, 03:03:34 am »

Nothing too tricky in your request, Machinist, except these features:

[snip]

Much appreciated for your reply Vjek.

If I'm understanding you correctly, the "lava-level" on +/-2 Z's from embark level is completely fine. Was referring to those spires you mentioned, as they kinda hinder throwing gobs into it as a sacrifice to Armok. We've been somewhat successful with it thus far, but the right combination is eluding us atm:

If we're missing flux or similar no biggie, we can and will make do if it's the only thing missing.

We've tried genning worlds with higher number of civs and beasts, and a relatively short year-count, to ensure enough towers pop-up without too many civs dying. We've deprioritized elfs and kobolts cause they don't have much use for a fort (w/ enough gobs & necros). Seems to work reasonably well, but we're having trouble getting good enough combination of geography and other features.

World size is also something we can flex from, we're just worried we'll run out of *fun* in small worlds, now that you can run out gobs. And with little surviving beasts it's another downer.

Hope this helps/clarifies?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 24, 2020, 11:20:41 am »

Definitely, that clarifies things.  I found a few worlds/embarks that match pretty closely to what you've presented there in the embark screenshot, plus flowing water and the rest of the features you mentioned.  I've found a few with 3 towers, and all civs, in evil, but most had spires or calderas, but ~near embark level magma is a big help, so I should find something later on today.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32