Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32

Author Topic: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 107556 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #420 on: January 20, 2022, 12:42:20 pm »

The cause here is the ocean.  If your global ocean depth is 1, then your world will be very thick, and you'll see the problem you're describing.
If you set your ocean depth/minimum elevation to 90, instead of 1, for example, you'll see a much 'thinner' world.  I haven't seen any issues with a 5-10 depth ocean, but YMMV.

Fascinating.  Right now my elevation has moderate-high variance at '0:400:1000:1000', though I never considered that for world depth, only a patchwork surface.  Since an ocean needs 0-99 and a proper mountain needs 300+, I'm thinking along the lines of ~10-40:320-360:500:500.  If I can get my layers at the ocean under 50, I will be a happy Dorf.

Dradavich

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 28, 2022, 07:03:01 pm »

Is there anyway to make deserts/badlands generate more in hotter climates. I.E on the opposite side of a pool?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 29, 2022, 04:59:50 am »

Is there anyway to make deserts/badlands generate more in hotter climates. I.E on the opposite side of a pool?
Apart from using PSVs to define your world or having a script "adjust" rainfall during world generation, no. There is no way to define different settings for different latitudes.

Dradavich

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 13, 2022, 01:00:24 am »

Here's a Z shaped island

Without Good/Evil

With Good and Evil

Params
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 16, 2022, 01:34:39 am »

Anyone know what settings can gen coastal cliffs on a large world? The only advanced gen guides I can find through google are achieved with pocket worlds
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 16, 2022, 07:58:08 pm »

Anyone know what settings can gen coastal cliffs on a large world? The only advanced gen guides I can find through google are achieved with pocket worlds
The same principles should apply, regardless of world size.
But.. a few questions..
What's driving the need for a large world?  A specific biome, or something else?  In fortress mode, there's very little that affects the fortress that is unique to world size.
What type of cliff are you looking for?  10+Z of vertical into water with no beach?  A river/waterfall?  A large slope with a beach?  Some combination of those?
I mean, ultimately, if you manually (via PSV/PFV) set the ocean depth and land height, and make them 90 and 299 respectively adjacent, you'll get some pretty steep cliffs, eventually. :)

When people ask for these types of requests, for me, it comes down to beach or no beach?  Everything else is pretty reasonable to find, if the player will accept a beach at the base of the cliff.  No beach cliff embarks are considerably more rare, unless lakes are included in 'coastal' water.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 16, 2022, 09:55:08 pm »

Large worlds because I like being able to use the same world to jump between adventure mode and dwarf mode, and my computer is decently beefy. SO It'd be nice to always have options with new forts. Temperature wise temperate is PREFERABLE to always unfrozen, just because it makes building supports easier, but if it meets having both deep ass water and high ass cliffs in the same fort area, I'll make do with whatever, beach or no beach... hmm, maybe I'm just bad at looking
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 09:57:38 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 16, 2022, 11:41:54 pm »

Here's a quick and dirty example of a Preset Field Values world designed specifically for sea cliffs:  (it even has a dead civ!)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 17, 2022, 08:17:21 pm »

Ohhh, thanks! That'll definitely do the trick!

Dradavich

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 10, 2022, 04:40:01 am »

I have been messing around with a couple of world gen an noticed some things.

There are a couple of settings that slightly tweak a world's generation without completely changing it (if you use the same seed)

Changing the volcano number changes both the color of sand for deserts and also the shape of those deserts while the deserts will appear in a similar place they may look slightly different, In fact I have observed such deserts slightly changing that shape of mountains. Volcano Number also effects what metals appear in certain regions.

Changing the Mineral Scarcity also changes the metals that appear in certain regions If you are trying to get a desert a certain shape or color i suggest you tweak the volcano number setting before this one.

Changing the Difference in the amount of good squares compared to evil squares can effect where evil and good is placed in the world (It's easier to do this with small subregions) Let me explain how this works with an example, you have 100 good small and 100 evil small when you generate the world a certain desert is evil, when you change the settings to 500 good and 500 evil the desert remains evil however when you change the settings to 101 good small and 100 evil the desert becomes good, when you put in 501 good and 500 evil that desert is still good. another thing I noticed was each region has what i like to call a changing number. So that a region will not change to evil/good until a certain number is reached so for example on a certain world at 201 good 304 evil (103 Difference) may produce a certain forest that is neutral but at 202 good 305 evil it finally changes that forest to either good or evil.

Dradavich

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 12, 2022, 07:33:45 am »

I want to generate a world with a lot of glacier area but without badlands/with little amounts of badlands, Is there anyway I can do this?

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 13, 2022, 07:41:09 am »

I want to generate a world with a lot of glacier area but without badlands/with little amounts of badlands, Is there anyway I can do this?

Glaciers depend only on drainage and temperature, so you're free to alter rainfall as you please. Fortunately, drainage gating but freedom over rainfall gives you access to most biomes (or something similar) except for swamps, and I don't think anybody likes swamps. I believe glaciers start spawning below -5 degrees temperature and above 67 drainage.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 16, 2022, 01:12:24 am »

I wonder if it's possible to have 2 waterfalls on embark that are on the same side but different edges?

I'm looking for embark area from 2x2 to 6x6 where one side is lake/ocean and the opposite side is a mountain, as sheer as possible. Between would be relatively flat area, beach is fine too. Now the tricky bit is that I want there to be a waterfall on that mountain, with a river/stream/brook that runs into the lake/ocean. If it's impossible to have 2 on the same side - which I believe to be the case - then I'll just dig out the second one. So basically, I am looking for a plot of flat land that is bordered by mountain, lake/ocean and two "rivers". That's because I want to build my outdoor fort inside that area in the middle.

Abundant metals would be a great bonus, same with contact with other civilizations.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 17, 2022, 08:53:38 am »

Currently, the only reliable method I know of to produce purely vertical waterfall cliffs is to have two rivers intersect.
Similarly, at the moment, rivers in DF do not run into lakes or oceans, exactly or elegantly.  They get close, but at the embark level, it's not implemented as you would likely imagine. :)
As such, while it may be possible, I've never personally seen what you're describing, Garfunkel, that is, having a  river that runs into a lake/ocean in the same 6x6 as a waterfall.
The primary issue being: It requires two rivers, a significant elevation disparity, and the lake/ocean all within a 6x6.

Still, it might happen, I suppose?

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 20, 2022, 02:22:43 am »

Yeah, I've seen that before and I always end up digging channels to make the river "flow" properly into the lake/sea.

I had forgotten about the two-river requirement! Oh well.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32