Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Guest Necromancer  (Read 4999 times)

DukeLeto2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guest Necromancer
« on: February 08, 2020, 10:05:26 pm »

Apologies if this post is too casual for this board.

I have a visiting "Dwarf Metalcrafter Necromancer." She doesn't appear to be hostile, and she's been residing in my fort for about half a year. Are passive necromancers a new feature? Unintended? Should I be worried about her suddenly reanimating my dead dwarves and leading an invasion from my tavern?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Guest Necromancer
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 10:15:38 pm »

A few people have mentioned this, though I haven't seen it myself. If it's anything like any other necromancer, she won't use her abilities to raise dead unless aggroed. Just leave her be, and it should be okay.

I believe this is a bug - both necromancers and experiments can visit taverns. Not sure why it's happening, though.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 10:38:16 pm »

Experiments are meant to be able to visit taverns. After leaving Towers they integrate into society and are no different from animal people. That's why you can play them in Adventurer.

I mean, they have scary names, but honestly, scaly lizard guy is no more weird than elephant-seal man. Probably less intimidating too...

Necromancer visitors are a confirmed bug.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 10:39:58 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Alatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 09:19:43 am »

In my recent fort (0.47.1) I got a guest called "Vampire captain". As I was unsure, if it would start to suck blood of my dwarfs I lured him into an underground prison and sealed the tunnels.

Another strange visitor is called "[Name] alderperson lost corpse". It has the sprite of a "night creature" and prefers to sit in my temple :-). I don't know what this could be - is it some kind of ghost? (because it lost it's corpse?). Up to now she stays inconspicuously.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 02:06:09 am »

In my recent fort (0.47.1) I got a guest called "Vampire captain". As I was unsure, if it would start to suck blood of my dwarfs I lured him into an underground prison and sealed the tunnels.

Another strange visitor is called "[Name] alderperson lost corpse". It has the sprite of a "night creature" and prefers to sit in my temple :-). I don't know what this could be - is it some kind of ghost? (because it lost it's corpse?). Up to now she stays inconspicuously.
Lost corpse is an intelligent undead lieutenant of a Necromancer Tower. Probably not supposed to be visiting. But, Toady mentioned that since they don't look undead, in worldgen people just kind of accept them if they move in (after destruction of a necro tower, etc).

Vampire captain is person of profession "captain", who is a vampire (game is meant to hide that incriminating bit of info, sometimes fails - notably on visitor announcements right now).

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 02:31:19 am »

All experiments have been villains so far. Every time an experiment visits my tavern I interrogate it and it reveals a plot, resulting in jailtime + execution by my military squad while it's chained up.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 07:12:50 am »

Hello

I've had 2 necomancers join my fort as regular migrants, and a visiting night creature hanging out in the tavern.
All friendly and not directly(*) causing problems.

(*) During the first minor goblin attack (just one group of about 10 attackers) undeads were raised apparently on both sides.
I.e. now that the fight has ended I have 5 friendly 'putrid corpses' hanging out at the battle site (4 former goblins and a dwarf), but the kill lists for the involved soldiers show they killed a bunch of undeads as well.

I wonder if these friendly undead will be useful during the next attack, or if I perhaps should try to use them for markdwarf practice, - or both.  :D
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 09:52:25 am »

I also got a necromancer migrant but haven't seen any invaders yet.

101Dominations

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 08:04:11 pm »

I have had a necromancer swordsman in my fort once, and it was alright until one dwarf decided to go for pint #14, and went became """highly active""" concerning personally reconstructing faces of other people to his liking. Unfortunately, this involved a visiting axedwarf and an aforementioned swordsman necromancer. Thankfully the swordsman necromancer wasn't aggroed against me, and so raised the many newly created body parts or dead dorfs into cold ghouls as friendly dwarfs, although unfortunately for me, the raised dead were constantly getting killed which did a number for those in the tavern at the time.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 11:48:40 am »

My necromancer was elected mayor. Meanwhile a nearby tower sieged my fort and I captired a hostile necromancer. I'll see what I can do with him.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 03:34:43 pm »

I wish it wasn't :(

Necromancers are people too! They don't all have to be angry psychopaths.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 08:34:08 pm »

I wish it wasn't :(

Necromancers are people too! They don't all have to be angry psychopaths.
One day it'll be ok. There's a devblog entry where Toady mentions running into a necromancer at the tavern and he hopes that the game will get granular enough to accept this happening in the future.

But right now, they'll beeline for the corpse pile and mess things up because that's all they know.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 10:44:06 pm »

They only raise corpse when they see enemy. It's a defense mechanism like octopus releasing ink. If you don't spook them they don't raised corpse.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 08:04:49 pm »

They only raise corpse when they see enemy. It's a defense mechanism like octopus releasing ink. If you don't spook them they don't raised corpse.

Sorry for necroing this thread, but I love the mental image of a necromancer getting scared and then bolting to the nearest corpse like an animal or something.
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

Emmie_Sparks

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 12:18:08 am »

I was about to make a topic about something like this, but I think putting it in this thread is good enough.
I just got a necromancer as one of my migrants. He's well over 100 years old and dreams of ruling the world, no joke. I feel like I should be concerned.
Pages: [1] 2