Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Observation Skill  (Read 916 times)

DwarfChef

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Observation Skill
« on: March 17, 2020, 03:12:49 pm »

Looking at my dwarves, I see a lot of legendaries. I don't remember that many the last time I checked, and definitely not that many strange moods, so I check their skills.

90 dwarves. 50 are legendary, 44 are legendary observer. Spread across multiple migration waves, multiple professions, no significant pattern. Except that we just finished bruising a giant child to death. Looks like the giant fainted from over-exertion, followed by more than 30 pages of punching giant in the head, by just about everyone. Even the cat child joined in.

So, uh, punching bag practices observer? Watching other dwarves punch the bag practices observer? Feature, or bug? Anything useful I can do with 50 legendary observers?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Observation Skill
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 03:46:40 pm »

Seeing an enemy gives xp to observation skill.  (Also get some from training.)

Not a bug as such but yeah, unbalanced as hell...

50, nah, although observer does contribute to the naturalist scholar work, so there's that. 

Or you can just roleplay it and sing along "I can see for miles and miles".  :P

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 04:50:58 pm »

Put a sparring barracks in the middle of your dining room; all of the eaters will watch while they eat, gaining skill.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 05:03:55 pm »

Looking at my dwarves, I see a lot of legendaries. I don't remember that many the last time I checked, and definitely not that many strange moods, so I check their skills.

90 dwarves. 50 are legendary, 44 are legendary observer. Spread across multiple migration waves, multiple professions, no significant pattern. Except that we just finished bruising a giant child to death. Looks like the giant fainted from over-exertion, followed by more than 30 pages of punching giant in the head, by just about everyone. Even the cat child joined in.

So, uh, punching bag practices observer? Watching other dwarves punch the bag practices observer? Feature, or bug? Anything useful I can do with 50 legendary observers?
Legendary immigrants and those with high combat skills are up a lot compared with 44.12. They probably started this way, or at least with high observation skill.