Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Character stuck, help  (Read 1077 times)

lance2535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Character stuck, help
« on: February 08, 2020, 10:42:11 pm »

I've ran into a problem, while trying to get around a river that encompasses the entire continent in order to gain access to a town, I ran into an issue. As I was traveling, it got dark and I became thirsty and tired. Right before I went to sleep, I went to the river when suddenly an alligator about 9 tiles away started towards me. I went to the nearest tree and started climbing, the alligator made a mighty leap up and bit my leg (from tiles away some how), but I was still climbing. Once I stopped, sure I was out of the jumping range of the alligator, I let go of the branches and went to waiting. Once the gators leapt away and went about their business, I tried to sleep, but that isn't aloud near rivers, so I decided to climb down, but I cant stand up so im unable to grab branches with my perfectly ok hands, so I can't get off the tree, nor can I just sleep. I cant jump off, nor can I just fall off intentionally. How can I progress? How can I get off the tree?

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Character stuck, help
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 10:59:20 pm »

Try alt-moving to fall off the branches.

lance2535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 02:46:49 am »

Ive tried that, you cant alt move off a tree if you are prone I guess

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 03:16:39 am »

You might be boned, friend.

This is an unfortunate bug - if you want you can check the bug tracker for any similar cases. It's an unlikely situation, but one that might happen nonetheless.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 05:25:02 am »

If you had an axe, you could probably chop down the tree.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 08:12:51 am »

If you had an axe, you could probably chop down the tree.
Can you target a tree you're sitting in?

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 09:26:04 am »

*Insert dwarven magic GIF here*
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 08:17:39 pm »

Can you target a tree you're sitting in?
Dwarves in fort mode can cut down a tree from any level they have access to, so I would think so.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

lance2535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 01:09:46 pm »

Can they cut a tree down prone?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 02:15:15 pm »

I've ran into a problem, while trying to get around a river that encompasses the entire continent in order to gain access to a town, I ran into an issue. As I was traveling, it got dark and I became thirsty and tired. Right before I went to sleep, I went to the river when suddenly an alligator about 9 tiles away started towards me. I went to the nearest tree and started climbing, the alligator made a mighty leap up and bit my leg (from tiles away some how), but I was still climbing. Once I stopped, sure I was out of the jumping range of the alligator, I let go of the branches and went to waiting. Once the gators leapt away and went about their business, I tried to sleep, but that isn't aloud near rivers, so I decided to climb down, but I cant stand up so im unable to grab branches with my perfectly ok hands, so I can't get off the tree, nor can I just sleep. I cant jump off, nor can I just fall off intentionally. How can I progress? How can I get off the tree?

and pressing h does nothing? you can climb down with h. You may also be able to just move down with the go down stairs buttons if you are on a tree (though maybe you are required to already be climbing for that).... i think that automatically climbs down a level.

Also you can fast travel over rivers now in 47 so. Try that too dont assume it wont work liek it did in previous versions.

Just try all the things.

Maybe just waiting a bit ( . button) would work if you just wait for the alligator to get bored.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 02:24:30 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com