Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Moss not growing  (Read 6443 times)

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moss not growing
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 04:36:39 am »

Same problem here, genned with 47.01 and carried over to 47.02. only cavern plants and shrooms grow on muddied Stone/excavated soil.

dwarffun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 05:06:54 am »

Confirmed. No mos, no plants, no mushrooms on muddied floors... Versions 0.47.01 und 0.47.02
Available: Underground cavern with water/magma/deep, made available by engraving fortifications (this usually did the trick but kept "monsters" outside).

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 05:08:09 am »

Same problem here, genned with 47.01 and carried over to 47.02. only cavern plants and shrooms grow on muddied Stone/excavated soil.

Well a little different, I don't even have plants or trees growing.

dwarffun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 05:25:12 am »

Well a little different, I don't even have plants or trees growing.

... perfect dwarfish environment  8) without any treehugers arround I guess.
Plants and trees are overrated.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2020, 08:01:23 am »

If the biome of the soil layer is oceanic, then moss will not grow (this was in version 44.nn, when I dug under a beach).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2020, 10:43:34 am »

If the biome of the soil layer is oceanic, then moss will not grow (this was in version 44.nn, when I dug under a beach).

My embark is partially under a freshwater Lake, can't remember If that too affected growth. At least now all Moss is absent.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2020, 12:02:42 pm »

Lakes ought to behave as Oceans when it comes to growth. Try to dig into the non Lake part of the embark and see if stuff starts growing there (on eligible surfaces, of course).

cythev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2020, 08:52:30 am »

I didn't know that moss doesn't grow beneath oceans and lakes. I like my hallways clean, so this should be a good embark-option for me :)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2020, 11:47:27 am »

I didn't know that moss doesn't grow beneath oceans and lakes. I like my hallways clean, so this should be a good embark-option for me :)
I'd temper my optimism a bit. It seems it might not based on this report, but it might be that, if it blocks growth, that blocking might not be 100%. The prospector DFHack tool does some weird checks against unidentified field values for oceans to detect if some of them don't have "soil", and I wouldn't be shocked if there might be a connection to growth in one direction or the other.
Of course, there might be someone who actually knows what the situation is, in which case I'd hope one of those would enlighten up.

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2020, 03:08:13 pm »

Just in case the ocean situation is assumed for all cases.  My fort was not under an ocean, there was a waterfall but if that was the issue I'm sure someone else would have noticed by now.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2020, 02:26:38 am »

Quick update. Moss grows on non-lake excavated soil so it appears that Lake biome is to blame (?). However one patch is so close to border I need to actually make some biome-crossing spot. Also, nowhere on the map muddied patches grow moss, only plants and fungiwood variants. So yea it appears my problem is different. If OP so wishes, I'll put results into different place.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 04:29:26 am »

@Ant
Muddy tiles hide the moss under the mud (need to 'k' it to see it, but I haven). I prefer to have pastures in non-muddy areas specifically so I can see the moss.

@Dracko81
Did you make your test muddy area in the soil layer or in the rock below it? I suspect that if your soil layer doesn't grow moss in the soil, it won't in the mud, but the stone layers below should grow moss in mud if you have moss in the caverns. Within a dwarf month, you should be able to see moss under the mud with 'k' in some of the muddy tiles.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2020, 06:31:46 am »

@Dracko81
Did you make your test muddy area in the soil layer or in the rock below it? I suspect that if your soil layer doesn't grow moss in the soil, it won't in the mud, but the stone layers below should grow moss in mud if you have moss in the caverns. Within a dwarf month, you should be able to see moss under the mud with 'k' in some of the muddy tiles.

Well as I said I had mud already and it wasn't growing. 

On the assumption that the dwarves were treading on it too much I created an area further down and linked to my reservoir prep and flooded a sizable area enough to get some mud.  Left the game run for a month and still no moss.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14792

That is the fort.  You can see on F3 the area I mined out and flooded.  Shift + F1 and the level above have soil layers that are mined out and should be covered with moss.  F4 shows where I accessed the caverns at multiple points trying to maybe get some spores from another location, as well as another location at F5 further down.

You can see in the alerts page 2, 11th granite that I pierced the caverns.  It does appear though that the elves rocked up on the same date.  Perhaps there is an issue with multiple events triggering at the same time.

EDIT: Also should note that the caverns are about 90 z-levels deep, perhaps that could also be an issue.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 06:34:28 am by Dracko81 »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 03:40:28 pm »

If it can be specified to a biome (or rather a typical depth between the variations where flora and fauna can be found & linked together though features), then that's helpful information to how it can probably be addressed. Here's the list, and of course topography changes world to world but the biomes are relatively static, so this might only affect some underground areas compared to others.

Code: [Select]
SUBTERRANEAN_WATER ## Underground caverns (in water)

SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM ## Underground caverns (out of water)

SUBTERRANEAN_LAVA ## Magma sea

Where i've seen it happen seem to be isolated, however when i had a magma tube on another fortress embark at about roughly the expected depth, it was all mossed up like normal with 3rd level cavern level trees with no water around visible.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2020, 04:41:46 pm »

Downloaded it and tested. The lack of moss growth is related to the depth of the caverns somehow. On z13, I dug northwest from the central staircase to the visible moss and received a caverns-found message, then moss began growing everywhere.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4