Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to play as adventurer ?  (Read 1568 times)

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to play as adventurer ?
« on: February 09, 2020, 01:00:42 pm »

What can be your goal as adventurer and can i use also a other tileset than the default one?

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: How to play as adventurer ?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 01:59:35 pm »

As for adventure mode, you're free to archive whatever goal you desire, as for tilesets, yes.

In case its needed.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventurer_mode
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventure_mode_quick_reference

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 07:00:35 pm »

As for adventure mode, you're free to archive whatever goal you desire, as for tilesets, yes.

In case its needed.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventurer_mode
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventure_mode_quick_reference
Well, many of the complex graphical tilesets these days require TWBT which sadly crashes Adventurer fairly often.
Besides that, you can use any tileset you want, it's the same game world.

You can set off with your party and just look for trouble. Some people like to check out Legends to see where the big bad guys in the world are.
Many will advocate spending endless boring hours wrestling rabbits. But I think they forgot what fun is, so just ignore them and enjoy yourself. :)

Villains release adds some neat stuff for Adventurer but sadly didn't complete the actual villains bit of the game. So you can interrogate people, but probably won't be able to put evidence together to root out criminal networks and such and you can't yet be a criminal mastermind yourself. Post-Steam it'll all get fixed up (and you won't have to use TWBT for graphics). 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:05:52 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 07:30:31 pm »

Many will advocate spending endless boring hours wrestling rabbits. But I think they forgot what fun is, so just ignore them and enjoy yourself. :)

Hey now! It's not endless boring hours... it's maybe thirty boring minutes at most, followed by perhaps another thirty or so of slapping horses with a stick. For the sake of that boredom, you become a walking avatar of death and destruction, fit to reshape the world according to your whim!

...point being, fun takes many forms. Sometimes that fun involves struggling for your life against fellow mortals. Sometimes that fun involves a rigorous training regimen, followed by punching out an angel.  :))
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 08:54:45 pm »

I take a more RP approach to  Adv. I tend to make my goal whatever my character personality is. Right now, I have an adventurer who was born 1000 years after the world was overtaken by the undead. She was raised in a kobold camp, although there was a language barrier, The koblolds saw her as their own . She has no recollection where she came from or who were her parents. One day she decided to leave the camp in search of knowledge. She wishes to collect the old books of the past and store them for safe keeping so if civilization ever rise again, these books  will guide them to learn the art of medicine, science, and math.

She basically scavenge fallen town and fortresses for books and food. She built a cabin for shelter but is working on building a large structure where she will study and store books safely in. Her other goal is to find her people ,as she believes that they  are out there constantly migrating to new camps so the necromancers who now rule these land as gods won't find them.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:13:36 am by Luckyowl »

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 11:45:32 pm »

can't just be going off into the wilds without a training montage

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 03:05:41 am »

Thanks.
I am using phoebus tileset in the fort for instance, i like to play this too tileset as adventurer if possible.
In roleplay games it all revolves doing quests, it seems that the adventure can do also those quests
To set a goal for your adventurer seems to be a good start. 

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 10:55:23 am »

If you want a quick bit of direction start as a hearth person and ask your lord for duties or service spertaining to your role as hearth person. That puts an actual quest in your Q->A (agreements) page. Which is your standard fantasy quest. https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quest
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 10:55:45 am »

Thanks.
I am using phoebus tileset in the fort for instance, i like to play this too tileset as adventurer if possible.
In roleplay games it all revolves doing quests, it seems that the adventure can do also those quests
To set a goal for your adventurer seems to be a good start.
^ see above post.
I am an indie game dev!

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 06:07:19 am »

Is there a way to make adventurers wait without leaving the party?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 02:48:52 pm »

Is there a way to make adventurers wait without leaving the party?

just talk to them choose "demands/orders" (whatever that convo option is) and tell them to "wait here"
I am an indie game dev!