Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am


Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 368

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- Act IV: The Goddess of War  (Read 119549 times)

Superdorf

  • Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 11:00:37 pm »

...yeah, we're an angel. At least, that's what I'm gonna go with until I learn otherwise.

eat Mitchell
Search the fridge for edibles. Any edibles.
Logged
Remember kids: a good fortress is a bunker, a great fortress is a tomb!
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 11:01:55 pm »

...yeah, we're an angel. At least, that's what I'm gonna go with until I learn otherwise.

eat Mitchell
Search the fridge for edibles. Any edibles.

+1, but also search the ruins for any other items of use or of value.
Logged

19_EgarAlnis

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 03:33:30 am »

You ignore the voices urging you to eat Mitchell's body. Instead, you haul yourself to your feet and drag him to the incinerator. You unlock the door and pull out the table. The stitches in your side flare with pain as you heave him up on it. You seal the door behind him and examine the controls. The machine is a simple dial, and you turn it all the way up.
The inferno flares.

With that business done, you ransack the fridge. You devour whatever scraps and leftovers you can find.  A whole ham, four boiled eggs, a wide variety of vegetables later, your stomach still rumbles with hunger, but you feel your strength returning.

The building isn't hard to search, as everything is on a horizontal plane at this point. A few pieces of metal give you trouble but are easily lifted away. Unfortunately, nothing much is left of use. In the kitchen, you find a burnt knife. There's a pair of boots that fit comfortably in what was the master bedroom, and the heavy duster by the door was blown outside with only minimal charring.

Running your hand over the fabric, you notice the material is not cloth, as you imagined, instead a heavy kevlar blend. Pads of heavy, meshed plastic cover vital areas of the body. While it doesn't fit comfortably on your thinner, smaller frame, rolling the sleeves up and adjusting the bottom does much to make it work. Once brown, its been charred black, and the kevlar is no longer as smooth as it once was.

And now there was only you and a desolate world.




Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

((From here on, public rolls will dictate survival or failure.))
Logged

ZBridges

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 03:38:03 am »

Scatter Doc Mitchell's ashes on the ruins of his home.  Say a few words to help him on his way to the Empyrean.
Logged

King Zultan

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2020, 04:54:55 am »

Scatter Doc Mitchell's ashes on the ruins of his home.  Say a few words to help him on his way to the Empyrean.
+1
Logged
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Failbird105

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2020, 07:31:07 am »

(I am so tempted to make a Sperm Whale Man)
Logged

Superdorf

  • Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2020, 10:32:13 am »

So I guess angel magic takes a lot of calories to sustain.

In other news, I didn't notice before with all the excitement

Taking stock of your surroundings, a path leads off into the distance, towards some lightly wooded hills in the north. Dry mountains rise far away to the west, and the beginning of a rough sandy plain lies to the south.

but apparently we just kinda know which way we're facing on the compass. More magic? GM fiat? I dunno, but very useful regardless.

Scatter Doc Mitchell's ashes on the ruins of his home.  Say a few words to help him on his way to the Empyrean.
+1

+1
After that, let's head down that path over the hills and see if we can't find something resembling civilization. Civilization means edibles!
Logged
Remember kids: a good fortress is a bunker, a great fortress is a tomb!
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

  • Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2020, 10:35:02 am »

So I guess angel magic takes a lot of calories to sustain.

In other news, I didn't notice before with all the excitement

Taking stock of your surroundings, a path leads off into the distance, towards some lightly wooded hills in the north. Dry mountains rise far away to the west, and the beginning of a rough sandy plain lies to the south.

but apparently we just kinda know which way we're facing on the compass. More magic? GM fiat? I dunno, but very useful regardless.

Scatter Doc Mitchell's ashes on the ruins of his home.  Say a few words to help him on his way to the Empyrean.
+1

+1
After that, let's head down that path over the hills and see if we can't find something resembling civilization. Civilization means edibles!

+1
Logged

19_EgarAlnis

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2020, 11:41:31 am »

(I am so tempted to make a Sperm Whale Man)

what.



The furnace finishes its cycle, and you pop open the catch. Inside is a multitude of ashes, more than you can carry, and more that can come from just Doc Mitchell. You end up scooping up a handful of ashes and awkwardly scattering them over the ruins of his house. Most of it sticks to your hands, and you end up rubbing Doc Mitchell all over your pants.

"From dust and ashes I have called you, and to dust and ash you shall return." Those few words are about all you can muster, a vague memory of sincerity and honor. Of shared pain. "Thank you for your help. I hope you are at peace."

You turn towards the north, contemplating. There's a slight pressure flowing, almost like a breeze, or small pulse of energy. You assumed this meant that those were the poles and didn't question it. There is no such energy from the east and west, except for what spreads from the north. You put it out of your mind, and with one final look at the charred remains of Doc Mitchell's life, you set out on the trail.

[5]The boots are uncomfortable on the rough gravel path, ill-fitting as they are. But the time passes quickly as you lose yourself in vague thought. Mostly about food. About half an hour later, or near as much as you can tell, you take a rest. Not out of any need to rest, you feel as if you could walk for a long time, but more to take in a view from one of the hills.

The land is a multitude of browns and light greens, broken by hardy [cypress-analogues] that stay crouched low against the billowing wind. A few small streams dot the country-side, flowing down from the mountain ranges, carving out rocky valleys from the rough, dark stone. The mid-day humidity is oppressive, and the duster doesn't help much. Clouds form in response to the rising heat.

[...]

The trail winds across the sides of hills, and you come to a crest of a valley.

Nestled around an electric well lies a small village. Most of the houses are metal and wood shanties, but a few more significant buildings dot the layout. The three structures all look similar, probably made from the same kit. The first has a bottle in garish neon, the haphazard scrawl adjusting itself for you to read 'Hausman's Public Haus." The second is a more somber structure. It bears no label or name. The third sits next to a mine dug into the wall of the valley. It belches smoke into the air, with laborers milling about their daily tasks.

The gravel footpath gives way to one sealed with tar as you make your way into town. A few people, dressed conservatively in browns and grey, give you a wide berth as you pass them. You realize that you stick out like a sore thumb in the duster. When you arrive at the village square, you notice the market, clustering around the well.

The big, unmarked building, you realize, is a church or temple of some kind. Its doors are lodged open, and the inside is brightly lit, but dull, consisting of wooden benches and motifs too far away for detail.

The market is filled with vendors, all clustering their stalls around immense beasts with bright white fur, four legs, and curling horns. The sizes vary from man-sized to absolutely massive, nearly as big as two stalls combined. The shopkeeps call out to the crowd, showing off their wares. Guns, food, spices, cloth, keepsakes, knick-knack, and brick-a-brack all abound. One thing that catches your eyes is a mask salesman, hawking off cheap plastic masks, demons and bugs-- you shudder.

The public house is further away from the square, but crowds of people surround it, mingling in tight, quiet groups.



Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)
Logged

TamerVirus

  • Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2020, 11:54:34 am »

Enter the church and contemplate
Logged
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

19_EgarAlnis

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2020, 10:29:04 pm »

The church welcomes you with open doors. Literally and figuritively. Within moments of entering, a young, bright-eyed man in a robe accosts you with a welcome. His robe bears a sphere upon its front. Upon that sphere is half a sapling, growing out of it, opposite that is a set of cogs. It catches the light, shimmering like silver.

You notice that in the center of the room, beyond a table, sits a plinth holding a gold and iron sphere. Writing of a religious nature wraps its way around the top to the bottom. You can understand it, you know, but it is too far away to read.

"I'm Brother John, it's a pleasure to meet you, miss...?"



Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)
Logged

Superdorf

  • Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2020, 10:56:32 pm »

Ahh-hm, what's a fitting name here...

"...Phoebe."
Logged
Remember kids: a good fortress is a bunker, a great fortress is a tomb!
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

  • Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2020, 10:58:49 pm »

Ahh-hm, what's a fitting name here...

"...Phoebe."
+1 ask about the religion of the church, if allowed, get closer to the sphere to read it
Logged

19_EgarAlnis

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2020, 11:18:29 pm »

"Pheobe." You reply, shaking the offered hand and giving him a smile. It has the apparent effect, his smiling growing. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Brother John. Could you tell me about the religion of your church?"

[|]The smile drains from his face, and he looks confused. "About, about our religion?" He forces a laugh, but there is concern upon his features. "You're joking, I'm sure."

When you don't burst out into laughter or give any sign of a jest, his concern only grows. His body tenses, brow furrowing. "Didn't your parents teach you anything? When was the last time a preacher visited you? Were you given first rites? Where were you born?"



Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)
Logged

ZBridges

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2020, 11:28:54 pm »

"Suffice it to say, I have lived a sheltered life.  While I of course am familiar with the basics, I was hoping to hear your unique insight on the matter as a religious specialist."
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 368