00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 240952 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2020, 01:38:18 pm »

Am I right in thinking that Emma's family is the same "warlord" and co. that old guy wanted us to kill off?

Yes, that's correct.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2020, 10:34:17 pm »

"I think I saw him before I came to the Academy.  He has a fine weapon.  Is that a family heirloom, or was it acquired in another way?"

"He got it back from the person who killed Polly." Emma twists her lips into a rueful smile, "She was his girlfriend and a friend of mine. Apparently, the bastard that killed her stole it, and he finally got it back." [4] There's no hint of dishonesty you can discern. She sighs, looking across the table at you, "She was the only one I could talk to before I met you. I hope he didn't make it quick when he killed that bastard."

You offer her a nod as you consider the Thorntons in general. Mother Nicole sent you a message about them, explaining who and what they were when you mentioned being friends with Emma. In the region now known as  SEED's Holy Steelworks No' 09, they ran things as the local warlord before the Scholars, headed by Nicole Gainer, moved in. You know there was a brief conflict before the Thorntons legalized their operations beneath her, culminating in the Holy Steelworks No' 09 becoming an autonomous region just as you came to the Academy. William Thornton senior is the current family head, a brutal recluse of a man who reigned in terror for the longest time. His heir is William Thornton Junior, Emma's older brother, who's a chip off the old block. Just as crazy as the old man, if not more so. There isn't a Missus Thornton, as far as you know.

It isn't that hard to realize the principle in which the regions around the Holy City were civilized in much the same manner. Local warlords and bandit bands are given an option-- become legal business entities or die. It saves time, but this gives rise to an entire class of people with less than legal outlooks on business, however.

"You okay?" Emma asks.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:16:21 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2020, 11:09:13 pm »

"Yeah... just remembering."

"I had Pollyanna's father come to me last year, before I joined with the Scholars-- this was right after Polly got murdered; the guy tried to pay me to avenge her death. I was scared, turned him down... should I have taken the job? I don't know! But it's nice to hear he got his vengeance one way or another."

Sigh. "It's a messed up world we live in."
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 26, 2020, 11:17:15 pm »

"I had Pollyanna's father come to me last year, before I joined with the Scholars-- this was right after Polly got murdered; the guy tried to pay me to avenge her death. I was scared, turned him down... should I have taken the job? I don't know! But it's nice to hear he got his vengeance one way or another."

Sigh. "It's a messed up world we live in."

+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2020, 11:38:40 pm »

"I had Pollyanna's father come to me last year before I joined with the Scholars-- this was right after Polly got murdered; the guy tried to pay me to avenge her death. I was scared, turned him down... should I have taken the job? I don't know! But it's nice to hear he got his vengeance one way or another."

Emma's eyes widen, and she shakes her head.

You sigh. "It's a messed up world we live in."

"Polly's dad had a rough time of it." Her face curls further into a frown as she explains. "He passed in a house fire-- not too long after we left."

You bet. A bell rings in the distance, but you ignore it. During a usual day at the Academy, it would call for grounds clear -- dinner time. Your stomach gives a growl.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:42:48 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2020, 11:59:13 pm »

Hmm.  Hopefully Emma doesn't tell her brother about our chance encounter with Polly's father...

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 27, 2020, 12:52:06 am »

"Ahh, really? That's... I don't know what to think about that."

"Take care of yourself, OK? There's something rotten in this town, and I'm worried it's going to catch up to you one day."

"I'm worried it's going to catch up to us both."

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2020, 01:20:54 am »

"Ahh, really? That's... I don't know what to think about that."

"Take care of yourself, OK? There's something rotten in this town, and I'm worried it's going to catch up to you one day."

"I'm worried it's going to catch up to us both."

+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 27, 2020, 01:52:51 am »

"Ahh? That's... I don't know what to think about that."

"I think it's just sad."

"Hey, Emma? Take care of yourself, OK? There's something rotten in this town, and I'm worried it's going to catch up to you one day." She once more seems to deflate, last night weighing heavy on her mind. "I'm worried it's going to catch up to us both."

[16] She looks hurt when you say that, and instead of responding, she glances out the full-wall window into the courtyard. "What the f--"

Startled by the usually refined Emma cursing, you follow her gaze. Standing in the courtyard is a tall, blond young man. He's arguing with the gate guard, and Emma rises to her feet, rushing out of the library and down the stairs. You watch from the window as she breaks up the argument and hugs her older brother. The anger on his face vanishes as soon as the gate guard does, giving way to genuine concern.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 27, 2020, 01:57:36 am »

I think we should give them a moment to catch up, and then approach and introduce ourselves.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 27, 2020, 05:59:20 am »

I think we should give them a moment to catch up, and then approach and introduce ourselves.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2020, 01:51:14 pm »

You busy yourself with putting away your books and straightening up your notes while waiting for them to catch up. When your desk is neat and tidy, and all the books are replaced, you leave the library and drift into the courtyard. Emma bumps into you on the way down the stairs, smiling widely as she grabs you by the hand and drags you towards her brother. He gives a smile when his sister appears, one that doesn't reach his eyes when they reach you.

"Ah, this must be Miss Gainer." Introductions do not appear to be necessary, "Your grandmother told me all about you when she let us know the situation." He extends his hand out for a handshake, and you take it. You notice, with mild amusement, that he's trying to break your hand.

"It's a pleasure." You reply with a smile, not giving him the satisfaction of seeing you wince. "You must be William Thornton Junior."

"Please, family friends call me Billy." He responds, returning your smile. "Hey, I saw a good restaurant back in town, how about I take you both to out for dinner before I take care of this situation?"

Emma looks surprised. "Isn't that dangerous?"

"Only a little. We got a few squads in the area, and the local gangs know better now."

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2020, 01:57:55 pm »

"Very well-- Billy." Nod-'n-smile.

klonk
Sigtext

TamerVirus